Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple Cider Vinegar

• 08-04-2014 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to ask:
    I've read up that ACV can help with weight loss by acting as something of an appetite surpressant/ metabolism aid. Is there any truth to this?
    I tried some in a pint of water with a drop of apple juice to take the acidic taste out and so far, I'm not feeling as hungry. But is it just a placebo effect or does it actually work?
    Any information would really help. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Helpful for digestion and as a cleaning product, for fat loss not so much.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

According to the literature, ACV delays gastric emptying. In fact, any vinegar does this, hence vinegar reduces the impact of food on blood sugar.

It's plausible that this may reduce appetite and lead to weight loss but no one has tested this in a trial as far as I know.

Be careful with ACV tablets though, there are cases where they can get stuck and cause oesophageal injury, and that doesn't sound very nice at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

In fact, any vinegar does this, hence vinegar reduces the impact of food on blood sugar.
    I always wondered if any old vinegar or acetic acid would do the same effects as the ACV numerous claims.

Now if it was unfiltered ACV made with pressed juice their might be a different but otherwise I would have thought they are all similar, except the ACV has a marketing spin to it.

To down it easily you can drink it in a shot glass and immediately wash it down with water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I've heard that ACV is great for your skin. Applying it directly to rash etc.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

rubadub wrote: »
    I always wondered if any old vinegar or acetic acid would do the same effects as the ACV numerous claims.

Now if it was unfiltered ACV made with pressed juice their might be a different but otherwise I would have thought they are all similar, except the ACV has a marketing spin to it.

To down it easily you can drink it in a shot glass and immediately wash it down with water.

I think you're right. One advantage of ACV is that it is a higher Ph, so more acidic and it contains a prebiotic, pectin. It's also a little more palatable than straight vinegar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I've heard that ACV is great for your skin. Applying it directly to rash etc.

In the long term illness forum threads a thread on the skin condition psoriasis and one guy swears by using the ACV, recommends it to everyone.

I have seen it recommended internally for psoriasis too, supposed to balance your pH if your body is over acidic, and I think supposed to helps with leaky gut syndrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Thanks for all the replies. I'm currently taking a pint of water with two tbsps of ACV mixed with a little apple juice once a day before dinner.
    So far, it's curbing my sweet tooth so that's a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Hi can anyone recommend a brand of ACV tablets I could get online. I seen a few different types but would rather a recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Its also great for stripping the enamel from your teeth :)

zweton wrote: »
    Its also great for stripping the enamel from your teeth :)

That's ok. Dont have any. But if you could answer the original question id be grateful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

That's ok. Dont have any. But if you could answer the original question id be grateful.

lol

zweton wrote: »
    lol

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sunnib

Apple Cider Vinegar was used by my mum as a supplement, 2 tb sp. in a glas with a smal bit of honey and diluted with (carbonated ?) water. It's full of goodness, I remember her saying. Don't think she used it while dieting.
    Btw, if organic ACV is mixed to the same volume with Acacia honey, it helps with sleeping problems. A small sip at night is enough.

Advertisement