Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Las Malvinas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Trying to change history ?

At post no. 69 you said

Why didn't you mention the hms victoria, or any of the ships those crappy a-4s sunk ??

At post #71 I introduced the question of the AAF's weapons people to fuse bombs properly in the context of competence....
    Jawgap wrote: »
    OK you got me - the databases I have access to don't have any info on a HMS Victoria being sunk by a sub or an A4........care to link to it?

The last recorded use of 'HMS Victoria' was in the 19th C - but maybe you have access to special information, the rest of us don't.

As for what the Skyhawks achieved.....
    They damaged HMS Glasgow, HMS Argonaut, RFA Sir Galahad, RFA Sir Lancelot and RFA Sir Bedivere, HMS Broadsword, and RFA Sir Tristram

They sunk HMS Ardent, HMS Antelope, HMS Coventry, RFA Sir Galahad and HMS Fearless. And, yes, they would've sunk more if they fused their bombs properly - which goes to show how incompetent they were when still as late as the 8th of June they were still fusing their bombs incorrectly.

.....and the RN were still able to get the ground forces ashore and sustain them there.

But not a single Harrier was lost in air-to-air combat. Six were lost in accidents or to ground fire.

21 A4s were lost in air-to-air combat or to ground fire - that's before you add in the Mirages, the Daggers, the Canberras and even the Hercules that were lost on the Argentinian side.

Are you saying you introduced the issue of HMS Victoria in anticipation of me raising the issue of competence and bomb fusing?????

Jaysus, but you're a good one if you can figure out what posters are going to post before they post it......

By the way, do you want to join our Lotto syndicate.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Trying to change history ?

At post no. 69 you said

At post #71 I introduced the question of the AAF's weapons people to fuse bombs properly in the context of competence....

Are you saying you introduced the issue of HMS Victoria in anticipation of me raising the issue of competence and bomb fusing?????

Jaysus, but you're a good one if you can figure out what posters are going to post before they post it......

There is no anticipation, you have drifted to a separate topic.

Here is your comment:

"why didn't you mention the Santa Fe - the nuclear submarine the Argentinians have been building for 30+ years"
    (would you reason this to be an incidence of incompetence, inability to complete a 30 year project)

Here is my retort:

"Why didn't you mention the hms victoria, or any of the ships those crappy a-4s sunk ??"
    (would you reason this to be an incidence of incompetence, the collision of two battles ships of the same fleet)

Had I been indicating that Victoria was among the ships sunk by a-4s in the falklands conflict I would have said 'any of the other ships those crappy a-4's sunk'.

However, I can understand how it could be misconstrued.

Then again, this is just pedantic in any case.

Lexical semantics I believe its called.
    Can you tell me why it interests you so much.

By the way, do you want to join our Lotto syndicate.......

Tell me more.

Speaking of numbers, I see that Argentina has a birth rate of around 1% (16.88 per thousand) and should have about 4 million new citizens by 2020.
    On the other hand, from what I've seen of the islands I would guess, in the absence of any oil, that the islands population might increase by 6.

I think if that case did arise, Britain might consider the sense in having a stagnant population requiring 1:1 civilian to soldier population ratio, producing nothing other than animosity from a quickly growing important market. (given that Argentinas huge natural resources are being fully exploited at that future time).

There is no anticipation, you have drifted to a separate topic.

Here is your comment:

"why didn't you mention the Santa Fe - the nuclear submarine the Argentinians have been building for 30+ years"
    (would you reason this to be an incidence of incompetence, inability to complete a 30 year project)

Here is my retort:

"Why didn't you mention the hms victoria, or any of the ships those crappy a-4s sunk ??"
    (would you reason this to be an incidence of incompetence, the collision of two battles ships of the same fleet)

Had I been indicating that Victoria was among the ships sunk by a-4s in the falklands conflict I would have said 'any of the other ships those crappy a-4's sunk'.

However, I can understand how it could be misconstrued.

Then again, this is just pedantic in any case.

Lexical semantics I believe its called.
    Can you tell me why it interests you so much.

Look, have the good grace to admit that you screwed up and admit you listed HMS Victoria as a casualty of the AAFs bombing efforts.

You can spin it anyway you want, you can try to deflect, obfuscate, provoke, defend, delay or divert but it's pretty clear what you meant and that you really know feck all about that part of the world, the conflict, strategic studies and air and naval power.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 348 ✭✭Khomeini

Viva Las Malvinas.

The sooner these planters are removed the better. I fully support the motion of also stripping them of any wealth they have as reparations.

Khomeini wrote: »
    Viva Las Malvinas.

The sooner these planters are removed the better. I fully support the motion of also stripping them of any wealth they have as reparations.

Pretty pathetic attempt to draw a parallel between Cromwell and the Falklands!

Aren't the 'Argentinians' likewise the descendants of colonists and 'planters'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Pretty pathetic attempt to draw a parallel between Cromwell and the Falklands!

Aren't the 'Argentinians' likewise the descendants of colonists and 'planters'?

I dunno jawgap. i thought the Ayatollah came up with a well reasoned ant thought out argument. I felt that the points he used to back it up also brought a certain degree of clarity to proceedings.

I also feel there is a desperate need for a sarcasm font, but that's something for another day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Khomeini wrote: »
    Viva Las Malvinas.

Hi Khomeini, good to see you made it to London safely. Shouldn't you be running your Friends-of-DPRK group instead of waving Argentine flags? I'm not so sure that Dear Leader would approve of you touching any flag but that of the DPRK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Mods - please close this interminable and tiresome thread down. Senor d monocle, who has an agenda based on wiki myth and what-ifs, and writing from a washroom in the Argentinian embassy, is no longer even remotely funny.

If Argentina was even remotely interested in acquiring The Falklands by an act of war, they would have tried it by now, especially if they truly are the technologically-superior wonder state that Senor d monocle claims them to be.

Needless to say, they'd get seriously creamed a second time, this time with sub-launched TLAMS to their mainland bases. Fighting a war with planes and ships you don't have, all armed with missiles that are not there, is not the way to win any conflict.

And with 'friends' like Chile, who are GREAT pals with the UK, on the other side, with a really functional army, navy and air force, Argentina would be up sh!t creek indeed. The Chilean army would just love to try out their nice shiny new Leopard 2 tanks on some moving targets.

tac

• Advertisement

Look, have the good grace to admit that you screwed up and admit you listed HMS Victoria as a casualty of the AAFs bombing efforts.

You can spin it anyway you want, you can try to deflect, obfuscate, provoke, defend, delay or divert but it's pretty clear what you meant and that you really know feck all about that part of the world, the conflict, strategic studies and air and naval power.

I would admit to such a minor and pointless error if I made it.
    If you want to think of it in your own terms feel free.

tac foley wrote: »
    Mods - please close this interminable and tiresome thread down. Senor d monocle, who has an agenda based on wiki myth and what-ifs, and writing from a washroom in the Argentinian embassy, is no longer even remotely funny.

If Argentina was even remotely interested in acquiring The Falklands by an act of war, they would have tried it by now, especially if they truly are the technologically-superior wonder state that Senor d monocle claims them to be.

Needless to say, they'd get seriously creamed a second time, this time with sub-launched TLAMS to their mainland bases. Fighting a war with planes and ships you don't have, all armed with missiles that are not there, is not the way to win any conflict.

And with 'friends' like Chile, who are GREAT pals with the UK, on the other side, with a really functional army, navy and air force, Argentina would be up sh!t creek indeed. The Chilean army would just love to try out their nice shiny new Leopard 2 tanks on some moving targets.

tac

I suppose they could always get the Pope to let slip the dogs of war in the form of the Swiss Guard......

tac foley wrote: »
    Senor d monocle, who has an agenda based on wiki myth and what-ifs, and writing from a washroom in the Argentinian embassy, is no longer even remotely funny.

Resorting to the ol' ad-homs again.
    Just because I dare question something, or hold an opinion different to your own.
    Well I would have though printing a picture of the Malvinas on a newly introduced note would have been a tiny indicator of a long term interest.

I dont consider Argentina to be a tech wonder state, just a country that many might assume isn't as technologically advanced as it is. Its S.Americas most well educated country and has an advanced industrial sector.
    There were plans for a high speed rail link there not so long ago, just before the world economic crisis came about. It very nearly began.
    2015 for first local rocket/orbital satellite launch iirc.
    Well thats been established and is true in the present term. Argentina has also said it will only follow diplomatic routes (although this while strangling the islands' economy). Personally I dont foresee a military conflict but I do wonder what will come in the not so distant future, its a country with a pretty high birth rate and huge resources, the military budget is set to double by 2018, if/when the inflation issues are finally fixed this will be even moreso the case, as the islands defense policy is to stay one step ahead this might leave Britain wondering if having islands with as many soldiers as civilians on them is really worth it, especially if it serves only to create animosity with a rapidly growing region and the trade bloc mercosur.
    In this hypothesis you reeeeaally wouldn't want to rely on Chile.

Chile only has to share a border with their neighbors Argentina for the brief spell of ... pretty much forever.

Thinking that Britain could somehow make Chile jump is a gross error, asking it to -now- help against one of its import partners, a country which must be passed through for anything coming/going from the Atlantic side (extreme south route excepted) is preposterous. Zero Chileans would be willing to die for Britain in such an event. Or willing to harm, or even risk harm to their own country.

(Mercosur has in however, in reality, firmly backed Argentina so Argentina would actually be the one calling on allies)

tac

Separately, I see that the Chagos (ex)islanders recently gave their own support to Argentina. For those unfamiliar the Chagosians were some people, numbering about 2000 (iirc) who were chased off their little home islands by Britain in a case of supreme hypocrisy when taken together with Britains talk/policy on the Malvinas/falklands.

- Monocle

Whatever about knocking this thread on the head, there's certainly some argument to be made for at least consigning it to the Walter Mitty forum.....

Whatever about knocking this thread on the head, there's certainly some argument to be made for at least consigning it to the Walter Mitty forum.....

You dont have to keep coming back for more.

Even at 3 am.

If you dont like the thread just dont come back.

(Incidentally - I had previously been onto a mod asking about how to get the thread closed, before yourself of tac mentioned it. Still might :) )

You dont have to keep coming back for more.

Even at 3 am.

If you dont like the thread just dont come back.

(Incidentally - I had previously been onto a mod asking about how to get the thread closed, before yourself of tac mentioned it. Still might :) )

Truth never sleeps!

Or in my case getting up and getting sorted for a day at the AHB means being up at that crazy hour.

Anything you want me to dig out while I'm here?

Tbh I just keep coming back to find out what other bat sh1t crazy stuff you're posting. It's better than the Conspiracy Forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

Taken in 1989 and posted on Flickr......there are plenty of photos available.....

6745509879_9e496c39be_z.jpg
    Could have been taken anywhere, proves absoulutely nothing !!!
    Well the whole incident, including the retreating corvette and the sailor killed thereon is outlined in the "Battle Atlas of the Falklands"
    So this is the kind of craft armed with medium- and small-caliber guns, surface-to-surface missiles, surface-to-air missiles, and antisubmarine weapons who allegedly, a few Brit infantry men on the shore alleged made ' retreat ' :D

640px-ARA_Gomez_Roca_%28P-46%29.jpg
    Soldados, the Argentine Army Journal describes the Battle Atlas as "a very useful and detailed guide to the day-by-day development of the war" (see their April 200 edition for the full review.
    FFS, a very useful and detailed guide allegedly stated by a review in a Argentine Army Journal doesn't mean every single sentence in the book is completely or even near accurate !!!
    Sounds to me like Lt Mills earned his DSC. He took a small, lightly armed force and engaged a superior force, inflicting damage out of all proportion to their size.....sounds like good soldiering to me especially as I don't think he lost any of his men.

The Argentinian Navy, when they captured them, seem to have treated them well, so I assume they thought they'd behaved honourably.....
    Captured by the Argentinian's after a token skirmish, don't be getting your jocks into a twist buddy over a typical British f**k up story.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

Truth never sleeps!

Or in my case getting up and getting sorted for a day at the AHB means being up at that crazy hour.

Tbh I just keep coming back to find out what other bat sh1t crazy stuff you're posting. It's better than the Conspiracy Forum!
    You should post over there buddy, anyone who believes the jingoist British media fairytales of a few Brit infantry men on a shore making a 3,000 ton Corvette class ship armed with medium- and small-caliber guns, surface-to-surface missiles, surface-to-air missiles, and antisubmarine weapons ' retreat ' way out into the ocean :D

Truth never sleeps!

Ah, yes, more flattery. :)

(you do of course know that post times are listed with every post.... i.e one page back)

ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    You should post over there buddy, anyone who believes the jingoist British media fairytales of a few Brit infantry men on a shore making a 3,000 ton Corvette class ship armed with medium- and small-caliber guns, surface-to-surface missiles, surface-to-air missiles, and antisubmarine weapons ' retreat ' way out into the ocean :D

If you think I've posted anything you think is wrong maybe you could post something up that counters it........other than your ill informed, ignorant opinions. Or do you lack the capability to dig out that kind of rebuttal information.......or is what I've posted beyond deconstruction because it's true?

• Advertisement

Ah, yes, more flattery. :)

(you do of course know that post times are listed with every post.... i.e one page back)

Not sure what your point is but yes I do know post times are listed.

And I'm glad you take such an interest in my circadian cycle......

I was up from about 0330 to get the first flight to Stansted. I'm back tonight, but don't worry I have a lifted sorted from the airport......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

You sure do love to throw that old doozy about don't you
    The jingoism is that obvious so I'm not going to explain
    From what I seen on TV yesterday, it's little more than jingoism of a country

Those republican stories you heard while growing up in the USA must have really had an affect :rolleyes:

bumper234 wrote: »
    You sure do love to throw that old doozy about don't you

Actually, Jingoism is hugely relevant to the Malvinas question.

Its whats held back reason to an extent so far.

Having more broadsheet editors like Peter Preston (Guardian)and MP's like Corbyn and Galloway, people who are willing to publicly address the issue, can only be a good thing.

Someone must drag the 'express' or 'sun' or other tabloid readers back into the 21st century.

When the issue gets addressed the British public can see that if you've got nobel peace prize winners and progressive politicians on one side, and the rags on the other side ... that maybe its time to follow the UN's requests and sit down and talk it out bi-laterally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Actually, Jingoism is hugely relevant to the Malvinas question.

Its whats held back reason to an extent so far.

Having more broadsheet editors like Peter Preston (Guardian)and MP's like Corbyn and Galloway, people who are willing to publicly address the issue, can only be a good thing.

Someone must drag the 'express' or 'sun' or other tabloid readers back into the 21st century.

When the issue gets addressed the British public can see that if you've got nobel peace prize winners and progressive politicians on one side, and the rags on the other side ... that maybe its time to follow the UN's requests and sit down and talk it out bi-laterally.

Let's say for fun that the Argentinian president gave up all rights to the Falkland islands. How long do you think it would take for that particular political party to get back into power?

Now think the exact same for Great Britain, The political party that gives away the Falkland islands is a dead and buried political party for decades to come. This and the fact that the Falkland island residents wish to remain under British rule is why no British prime minister will ever give them up.

bumper234 wrote: »
    Let's say for fun that the Argentinian president gave up all rights to the Falkland islands. How long do you think it would take for that particular political party to get back into power?

Now think the exact same for Great Britain, The political party that gives away the Falkland islands is a dead and buried political party for decades to come. This and the fact that the Falkland island residents wish to remain under British rule is why no British prime minister will ever give them up.

Thats generally true for present day thinking, (yet less so than in earlier decades) which as I was saying has been shadowed by tabloid jingoism for some time now.
    I think the more educated the British public become on the topic the more that way of thinking will change. Certainly the triumphalism and 'gotcha' reactions are lost on the younger generations, they may be the people to ask 'what are we actually doing down there and why and is this wise or foolish'.

Perhaps it wont be seen as losing or giving up an asset but more as solving a long term issue logically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

It's very simple.

1. Argentina will not get the islands back diplomatically by making claims against historical colonialism etc.
    2. Argentina will not get the islands back by force.
    3. Argentina will not get the islands back through the will of the inhabitants.

Items 1 and 2 are so far out of reach it's not worth talking about. However item 3 is actually worth some consideration. Has anyone stopped to ask WHY the inhabitants voted so strongly to stick with Britain? Lets be fair, "being British" can only be part of it, if Argentina were actually an appealing prospect then maybe the ballot wouldn't be so convincing. Argentina get Las Malvinas, The islanders get what they voted for, and Britain cant stand in the way of democracy.

Argentina is a country not long from narrowly avoiding a second default in 15 years. With Britain there is security and consistency that Argentina cannot offer. Change that playing field and who knows what could happen.

By the way, this one was a personal favorite:
    The Argentine fleet is not as god awful as you might wish.
    A few decades ago they were operating an aircraft carrier.

I did read a blog post somewhere (I may try and dig it out when I'm back on a proper computer) asking why the Argentinian Government doesn't just "love bomb" the Islanders by for example, setting up regular ferry and air services ( even if they have to be subsidised); grants / scholarships for young Islanders to attend university in Buenos Aires; an air ambulance service; better telecoms and internet connection etc etc

The blog, iirc, was written by a British academic.

Of all the rubbish being kicked around it made the most sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

'A few decades ago....'

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Quote - In 1983, the Veinticinco de Mayo was modified to carry the new Dassault Super Étendard jets but soon after problems in her engines largely confined her to port; she was deemed more or less unseaworthy.

Disposal

The Argentine Navy could not procure the funds for a modernization and new engines, leading to decommissioning by 1997. By this time she had already been stripped of various major pieces of equipment that were used as spares for the Brazilian carrier NAeL Minas Gerais, another Colossus-class ship which had been heavily modified in the Netherlands.[5] Finally in 2000, she was towed to Alang, India for scrapping.

Although the Minas Gerais was offered to the Argentine Navy as a replacement in 2000 she was rejected due to her poor condition and high restoration and maintenance costs. Argentine cooperation with Brazil has meant that the naval air wing has continued to operate from the deck of carrier NAe São Paulo during ARAEX exercises and/or touch-and-go landings on US Navy carriers when they are in transit within Argentine coastal waters during Gringo-Gaucho manoeuvres.

Whoopee. Now I'm really worried.

tac

Well yes it is simple when looking at it in its simplest terms.

Britain wont let it go, Argentina cant take it - fairly simple when looked at in those

simplistic terms.

I'd agree with your point number 2. Argentina won't get the islands back through force.
    Argentina itself has made it clear that it won't go to war for the islands. That it will

pursue diplomatic channels only (although as I said Arg is strangling the islands

economy).

However, I'd disagree with point 1 (which you'll see here encompasses point 3), I think

with some certainty that in the long term diplomacy will deliver either a

shared/'leaseback offer' territory or a simply Argentine territory.

The option of leaseback was previously discussed between G.Britain and Argentina after

Britain saw quite reasonably that it would be better to have good relations in south

America, a region ripe with potential, than to possess useless isolated islands with a

tiny sparse population. Add to this the negativity factor of not only lost potential

good relations with Argentina, but bad relations with Argentina/Bolivarian countries in

south America.
    This well reasoned thinking led whitehall and Nicholas Ridley, Minister of State at the

Foreign Office to consider bargaining with Argentina.
    Naturally galtieri scuppered this potential, in a attempt to glorify himself.
    And so naturally Britain after winning dug its heels in.

That however was during the 80's. 30 years has passed and a great deal of those who were

around during the 80's have sadly passed on. The present (British) new generation and

future generations will inherit power over this issue, I believe they'll see it

differently.

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/52/The-Falklands-War-

Sunday-Times-Survey.aspx

The above link shows a poll taken around about the time of the conflict in the 80's,

when asked who should determine the British government's long term policy on the

Falkland Islands 72 % respond Britain as a whole, taking the Falkland Islanders' views

into account.

This is surely the natural position for a nation when dealing with an issue which

affects the entire nations foreign relations. I think this will return as the future

British opinion - Britain as a whole determining what should happen with respect to the

islands and foreign relations with Argentina/Mercosur. Rather than havin control over

such a key area for the whole country being left in the hands of 2500 people who

obviously will/must look out for themselves.
    The logic will eventually hit the British public that it is pointless to maintain 2500

people on land the size of N.Ireland 14,000 km away and inherit in return only animosity

from a trade block (which includes Brazil) influenced by Argentina, as well as Argentina

itself, which on a side point holds giant lithium deposits found in few other places

worldwide, an essential component for the batteries we'll be using in the future ... but I digress.

A few pages back I posted a copy of a proposal by a British MP that laid out the terms

for sharing the islands. I can see something along those lines occuring again (depending

on the oil situation) as it will seem like the obvious choice to those not motivated by

emotions from the 80's.
    Having MPs (and a national broadsheet editor) starting to dare address the topic on tv

is a very early sign of reason being chosen over resentment.

(yes Argentina did operate an aircraft carrier a few decades ago, I think thats an

achievement that few countries can claim and I think they'll manage it again in time)

Argentina's inflation problem wont last forever.

:)

• Advertisement

(yes Argentina did operate an aircraft carrier a few decades ago, I think thats an

achievement that few countries can claim and I think they'll manage it again in time)

:)

Think it's time to practice watch you've preached.........
    Thats probably better suited to an history forum.
    Well, funny anecdotes from the past, pictures of 80's downed helicopters, rewarding of medals in the 80's for raids carried out by such and such which resulted in whatever, generally belong to stories from the 80's and so to some war history forum.
    (They're rich in 80's historic detail, like what might be found on a history forum, along with the referenced war history books)

And it's highly unlikely they'll operate an aircraft carrier again. The cost of naval aviation is escalating and accelerating (according to Van Creveld in Air Power) and is pricing everyone out of the market with the exception of the US, UK, France, India and China. Brazil is teetering and Italy and Spain have opted for scaled down versions.

You need more than the carrier, you need to have enough ships of the right kind to operate it as a carrier battle group and that includes ASW, air defence and auxiliary / replenishment vessels.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement