Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info about courses in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 marquez

Could anyone give info about this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭April4

I'm thinking of applying for the MA in Psychology and was wondering if anyone who is doing this course give me some idea of what the timetable is like? Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Does anyone have any information about computational finance, what are the time tables like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 lukemeany

Hi, I'm a 6th year student living in Carlow and was thinking about going to UL to study Product Design and Technology. I was just hoping somebody in the course could help me out and give me some information on their own experiences on the course and their opinions on the course and UL as a whole. thank you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Michelletarian

snazzy wrote: »
    I'm able to give anyone information about Applied Languages and even a bit of info about Languages, Literature and Culture [or whatever it's called nowdays] and Language Education. :)
    Tell me everything about Applied Languages :D
    Particularly if you did French, German or Gaeilge.

Is it stressful changing between the different languages all the time? It's my biggest worry.

Also how "applied" are the languages or is it a lot of literature?
    Any help would be class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Hiwazup

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, if it has I couldn't find it.
    Anyway, I'm hoping to do one of these courses next year and was wondering if I could get the opinions of people who are doing either course as to which one is better suited for me as in either course I will be majoring in computers. Also just general opinions of the courses would be brilliant! :D Any responses would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

[Just for clarification the courses are Electronic & Computer Engineering (LM118) and Computer Systems (LM051)]

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Hiwazup wrote: »
    Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, if it has I couldn't find it.
    Anyway, I'm hoping to do one of these courses next year and was wondering if I could get the opinions of people who are doing either course as to which one is better suited for me as in either course I will be majoring in computers. Also just general opinions of the courses would be brilliant! :D Any responses would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

[Just for clarification the courses are Electronic & Computer Engineering (LM118) and Computer Systems (LM051)]

Hi. I just finished first year Electronic and Computer Engineering. LM118 shares 1 module (programming) with LM051. I'm not too sure about anything else to do with Computer systems.

The other modules I have done so far are engineering maths (slightly more tricky than leaving cert higher level maths, but not by much), Digital systems (digital gate circuits, and binary/hex-decimal numbers), circuit analysis (DC and AC circuits, using resistors, capacitors and inductors), physics in the first semester(similar to leaving cert higher level) and semiconductor devices in the second semester (transistors, n-p and p-n junctions).

LM118 is really a mix of programming and electronics. If you're not sure which you prefer, it probably is the course for you. In third year, you can split into electronic engineering, computer engineering, robotic engineering, electrical energy engineering, or a general option, which allows you to pick modules from the other ones.

There are ~45 people in my year. There are 4 labs a week, 10 lectures, and 3 tutorials a week. Maths is the only module where there is no lab work. Labs make up 20-50% of your final grade in the other modules.

Hope this helps.

ricimaki wrote: »
    LM118 shares 1 module (programming) with LM051. I'm not too sure about anything else to do with Computer systems.

So is that module in the Computer Science building or the main building? I must say, one weird pull towards Computer Systems for me is the attractiveness of the Computer Science building inside compared to the main building! :p

Thanks for the info, how many hours would you spend on the work in a week; the lectures, tutorials and stuff and also studying and projects?

So is that module in the Computer Science building or the main building? I must say, one weird pull towards Computer Systems for me is the attractiveness of the Computer Science building inside compared to the main building! :p

Thanks for the info, how many hours would you spend on the work in a week; the lectures, tutorials and stuff and also studying and projects?

It varies. Lectures can be in any building. They were in the main building and the foundation building for me. The labs for it were in the top floor of the main building, near all of my other labs. There were some support labs ran in the CSIS building for the first few weeks of programming, but other than that, I have never had anything in there.

Each lecture is 1 hour long, as are tutorials, while all of my labs were 2 hours long. In the case of programming, whatever you didn't get finished at the lab had to be completed at home, and could take up to a few hours. Other labs had varying reports to be done, more often than not being different each week.

There weren't too many projects in first year. We had to build a circuit to measure a persons reaction time, but were given almost all the circuit diagrams to do it. In programming, we had to make a screensaver, which was fun. There was probably another one, but I can't remember.

You could spend anywhere between 1 and 15 hours a week studying, completing lab reports and programming. It really depends on the week, as some weeks you have very little work to do, and others, you have too much. Hand written lab reports can take quite some time, while word documents can take only a matter of minutes.

It varies. Lectures can be in any building. They were in the main building and the foundation building for me. The labs for it were in the top floor of the main building, near all of my other labs. There were some support labs ran in the CSIS building for the first few weeks of programming, but other than that, I have never had anything in there.

Each lecture is 1 hour long, as are tutorials, while all of my labs were 2 hours long. In the case of programming, whatever you didn't get finished at the lab had to be completed at home, and could take up to a few hours. Other labs had varying reports to be done, more often than not being different each week.

There weren't too many projects in first year. We had to build a circuit to measure a persons reaction time, but were given almost all the circuit diagrams to do it. In programming, we had to make a screensaver, which was fun. There was probably another one, but I can't remember.

You could spend anywhere between 1 and 15 hours a week studying, completing lab reports and programming. It really depends on the week, as some weeks you have very little work to do, and others, you have too much. Hand written lab reports can take quite some time, while word documents can take only a matter of minutes.

It would have to be a building related to the course though right? Like, You wouldn't have a module in a place like the health science building or business building, ya?

2 hours seems like a long time for the lab, would you just be making something in the lab or would it be like a 2 hour lecture with practical work?

Why would have to hand write reports, you'd think that is kinda against the whole ethos of doing a technology course :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

It would have to be a building related to the course though right? Like, You wouldn't have a module in a place like the health science building or business building, ya?

2 hours seems like a long time for the lab, would you just be making something in the lab or would it be like a 2 hour lecture with practical work?

Why would have to hand write reports, you'd think that is kinda against the whole ethos of doing a technology course :p

Just tuned into this conversation so not too sure what it's about exactly, but you could definitely have modules in a building not related to your course.
    I often have psychology in the computer science building and the business buildings and sociology tutorials in the health science building.

biohaiid wrote: »
    Just tuned into this conversation so not too sure what it's about exactly, but you could definitely have modules in a building not related to your course.
    I often have psychology in the computer science building and the business buildings and sociology tutorials in the health science building.

That's very odd, interesting but odd. You're lucky to be in the Health Science Building, it's epic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

That's very odd, interesting but odd. You're lucky to be in the Health Science Building, it's epic :D

No not so lucky.
    I changed to one in Kemmy so I wouldnt have to walk so far. :)
    It's a cool building alright though.

A tutorial for circuit analysis was held in the health science building this semester, and 2 of my 3 maths lectures were in the kemmy business school. You really can have anything anywhere.

In most of the labs, you leave when you have completed your work, and have been signed in. For the first semester, some really only took 30-45 mins. Time does fly in the labs, as you are constantly working, and it's fairly fun. The work can range from building a circuit on a breadboard, and seeing what happens at certain voltages or resistances, to typing values into MATLAB and plotting graphs, to writing several lines of code.

As for hand-written reports, I had to do them for physics (Same layout as the leaving cert) and semiconductor devices. They do take a bit of time, and might not be the most technological of things, but they're not too bad.

In most of the labs, you leave when you have completed your work, and have been signed in. For the first semester, some really only took 30-45 mins. Time does fly in the labs, as you are constantly working, and it's fairly fun. The work can range from building a circuit on a breadboard, and seeing what happens at certain voltages or resistances, to typing values into MATLAB and plotting graphs, to writing several lines of code.

As for hand-written reports, I had to do them for physics (Same layout as the leaving cert) and semiconductor devices. They do take a bit of time, and might not be the most technological of things, but they're not too bad.

That's good, so 2 hours is the maximum time you're given to do the thing in the lab that day then?
    Oh god I hate those write ups, they're grand but just a pain! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Can anyone tell me about Digital Media Design? The usual like hours, what the modules are like, what you do in general, class size? I only just found out about the course and it sounds really great, so I'd like some more insight on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kate_B7

can anyone tell me anything about the 'history/politics/sociology/social studies' course?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 in love

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has any info about the LLM in International Commercial Law in ul? Anyone done this course? Is the timetable manageable?

Info will be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Triona00

Hi,

Can anyone give me some info on the Nursing course in U.L.
    Maybe from someone who is currently studying there or who has studied there?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bazgina

3rd Nursing student here, Ask away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Triona00

Hi,

I am 24 so I would be a mature student applying.
    From what you know is it difficult to get in as a mature student?
    I am doing the fetac pre nursing course now.

About the course - is it more group work then individual work?
    How many days per week do you have to attend for lectures?
    How good does your level of biology have to be before you start the course?

Any other info would be great like how do you find the facilities in U.L

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

Any midwifery students on this? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bazgina

Triona00 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am 24 so I would be a mature student applying.
    From what you know is it difficult to get in as a mature student?
    I am doing the fetac pre nursing course now.

About the course - is it more group work then individual work?
    How many days per week do you have to attend for lectures?
    How good does your level of biology have to be before you start the course?

Any other info would be great like how do you find the facilities in U.L

Thanks.

I came straight from secondary school, so I couldn't say.

Its mainly individual work , exams for first 2 years , then its assignments from 3 rd year onwards.

The course is broken up between placement and college. Which means it is a professional course, you gain tons of experience. But it can often become difficult , as you usually complete 35 hours per week plus college work.

Nope, a knowledge would be handy , but not necessary.

There is a course outline for each discipline -http://www3.ul.ie/courses/IntellectualDisabilityNursing.php

Thing is, An bord altranis set a standard around all colleges so nursing training is equal. I would pick the handiest college for you, with regards commuting and what not.
    UL is great, there is always a great buzz around, fantastic supports for writing, or any kind of support you may need while being a student.

My main advice would be, to think about it seriously, right now Morale out in the wards is quite low, so placements are going to be tough, draining and what not. ( its due to cutbacks and often student nurses can get a raw deal). But If your determined, have the right attitude with learning and a passion for caring then nursing is for you!
    I love here, there is a real sense of community, support, learning opportunities and Ive learnt a lot for myself for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Cian_

Oops accidentally commented instead of creating a new thread. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

TDJ454 wrote: »
    Hi,

Was looking at this course (chemical engineering graduate diploma) and was wondering does anyone know anything about it? I'm currently studying chemistry in UCD but was thinking about leaning more towards chemical engineering as it seems to be easier to make a career out of it? Would it be manageable with "science level" maths and would it be the same overall as having a chemical engineering degree?

Cheers!:D

Did you ever get this in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shaunac123

:DWondering does anyone know anything about science education course in UL.. never did chemistry so wonder will i manage??

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

shaunac123 wrote: »
    :DWondering does anyone know anything about science education course in UL.. never did chemistry so wonder will i manage??

Hey I do science ed (physics and chemistry) a good few people starting would only have done biology and so long as you work at it works out fine.

First year is all about bringing everyone up to the same level and any trouble you have with any science modules you can bring to the science learning centre and the people there can help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

shaunac123 wrote: »

I also do science ed, the biological with physics or chemistry one. I, like you, never did chemistry for the leaving cert and found the chemistry fine. If you do the biological sciences one your last semester of chemistry is semester 1 of 2nd year. Then in 3rd year you chose between physics or chemistry; I'm choosing physics.

The chemistry itself is very manageable. For my course (LM092) we did general chemistry in semester 1 of 1st year, then in sem 2 we did inorganic chemistry, which was okay enough, the lecturer just wasnt the best. 1st sem of 2nd year we did organic chemistry which I actually found pretty easy, especially considering the diabolic lecturer that we had.

If you want to know anymore, my inbox is open to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Keelty55

Doing leaving cert at the moment and i'm keen on doing either law plus in UL or the B.C.L in NUIG, But i'm not sure which is the better option.. Anybody out there with any experience of Law Plus in UL? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TreacyHolmes95

Journalism and new media anyone?? :)

Advertisement