Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info about courses in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 D.murphy

hi every one i want to do Science - Wood & Technology in UL but i am worried about job prospects. i want to get a decent well paid job at the end of it. i have a huge interest in wood and construction studies. is there any further studies from this course or good job prospects i would get out of it??

also any other possible courses that would benefit my needs??
    any advice of comments would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 killarney09

i am going into 2nd year law and accounting and would like to know about the modules i will be doing in 2nd year from students have already completed them? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

This isn't a question about courses in UL, but I didn't want to start a new thread, and there's an "info" in the title, so I consider this to be 100% legit, yo: I was wondering what weeks the Autumn midterm break usually occurs in. I'm planning a holiday for around October and it'd be great if someone with a better memory than me could help me out here. Thanks!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

This isn't a question about courses in UL, but I didn't want to start a new thread, and there's an "info" in the title, so I consider this to be 100% legit, yo: I was wondering what weeks the Autumn midterm break usually occurs in. I'm planning a holiday for around October and it'd be great if someone with a better memory than me could help me out here. Thanks!

Autumn midterm? :confused:

Academic Calendar 12-13 doesn't mention anything...

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Autumn midterm? :confused:

Academic Calendar 12-13 doesn't mention anything...

I know, I checked the calendar, but I don't trust it, it's a silly. I was almost certain we get a week off around Halloween time, or maybe I'm just gone abso crackers altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

D.murphy wrote: »
    hi every one i want to do Science - Wood & Technology in UL but i am worried about job prospects. i want to get a decent well paid job at the end of it. i have a huge interest in wood and construction studies. is there any further studies from this course or good job prospects i would get out of it??

also any other possible courses that would benefit my needs??
    any advice of comments would be much appreciated.

TBH lad Wood Science isn't the greatest degree, maybe look into woodwork teaching? Even if you don't go into teaching it's a much better qualification.
    I know, I checked the calendar, but I don't trust it, it's a silly. I was almost certain we get a week off around Halloween time, or maybe I'm just gone abso crackers altogether.

Yes, yes you have. :P
    The only day we get off in Semester 1 is the October bank holiday Monday!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

SarahBeep! wrote: »

He had me thinking I'd been asleep for the past two years and had totally forgotten about random weeks off. :pac:

We get the day off for the open day IIRC? :cool:

Ah, I can't say I'm surprised. I have a habit of inventing days/weeks off for my own benefit. Well, then...ahem... let me take this opportunity to announce "Imaginary Holiday Week", in honour of not wanting to contemplate final year...yes, that'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

I usually just take the whole semester off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I was gutted when I only realised this during Halloween last year, you'd really want more than a day at that stage!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Would love to hear from anyone doing Applied Languages (LM044)! Or anyone studying French, Spanish or Japanese in any course for that matter. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Togepi wrote: »
    Would love to hear from anyone doing Applied Languages (LM044)! Or anyone studying French, Spanish or Japanese in any course for that matter. :)

Are you wishing to study it at beginners level or the advanced level?

I study German at beginners level and from what I've heard, most of the languages are studied in the same way and taught in the same way so i'd be happy to help if you have any questions :)

Aragneer wrote: »
    Are you wishing to study it at beginners level or the advanced level?

I study German at beginners level and from what I've heard, most of the languages are studied in the same way and taught in the same way so i'd be happy to help if you have any questions :)

French at advanced level, Spanish at beginners' level, and possibly Japanese at beginners' level too! Are they taught very differently from the way they would be in school?

French at advanced level, Spanish at beginners' level, and possibly Japanese at beginners' level too! Are they taught very differently from the way they would be in school?

It depends how you were taught. At beginner's level, you are usually gradually introduced to the language but your lecturers and tutors will try and take as much of the language as they can to you.
    In German we have this set of classes:
    1 hour of literature a week - reading a children's book in German to help with vocab.
    1 hour of grammar a week - to get the structure of the language and the verbs.
    2 hours of textbook work - working from books with simple exercises, usually completely spoken in the language you're learning.
    1 hour of pronunciation a week - helps with speaking.
    1 hour lecture a week - history, culture and media aspects of the country.

So most of the hours are built on your languages and you usually never have a day off from the language so it drums into your head!
    You also have orals and aurals like in school with an exam and occasionally assignments or homework every night!

@Aragneer aw that sounds pretty cool. :) Are the orals and aurals worth much for exams? And yay, homework... :P

@Aragneer aw that sounds pretty cool. :) Are the orals and aurals worth much for exams? And yay, homework... :P

Yeah it is quite good but you have to be prepared to not just sit around in class, you have to participate :) The orals are usually worth from 15% to 20%. My first semester i think they were worth 15 and second it was 20 :) The aurals vary from 10% to 15% and are usually pretty easy :)

Aragneer wrote: »
    Yeah it is quite good but you have to be prepared to not just sit around in class, you have to participate :) The orals are usually worth from 15% to 20%. My first semester i think they were worth 15 and second it was 20 :) The aurals vary from 10% to 15% and are usually pretty easy :)

Doesn't sound too bad. :) Still not sure if I'll do languages or not, but thanks for all that, it's a big help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 djbraveheart

guys i have a question. i applied for UL and they accepted me within 4-5 days then they sent me a conditional offer letter it was about the payment and english profiency tests. it says minimum toefl 80 and minimum ielts 6.5 in 6.0 in all components. but i have 79 toefl and 6.0 ielts in all components and overall 6.0 again. will they accept it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BTDOD95

Chemical and Biochemical Engineering,how does it compare to process and chemical engineering in UCC and what is the course like and what type of people does it suit? Basically anything about the course would be greatly appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mavis93

Could someone PLEASE shed some light on my predicament?! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80301659

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 jessoneal34

I am currently a US resident but am planning on studying my Master's at UL. Does anyone have any information, suggestions, advice about the Project Management degree? Thanks all!

Jessie from Maryland, USA

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Arse Biscuits!

LM087: Bsc. Energy: I went into this course through Science choice, and I can tell you straight away that I am regretting it. It is impossible to get COOP (currently in 3rd year and should be on COOP at the moment, despite looking for my own coop and the coop office also "helping"). No matter how high your QCA is, it appears that you are unemployable and you're very very lucky if you find coop. There are no graduates as of 2013, the first graduates are due to emerge this year so we'll see where they go. Companies only appear to want graduates that are SPECIALIZED IN ONE AREA, whereas Energy are a mixture of: Pharmaceutical and industrial Chemistry, Applied Physics, Electronics and Environmental Science. Despite having MANY modules in common with these courses, we appear to be unemployable by the same companies that hire these students. At present, 8/37 (21%) of our class has found coop, the majority of other courses have fully been placed. Last year, approx 10/28 (36%) of the class got employment. The coop office do not help, only 3 students have found paid placement through the coop office (each getting approx €18k for 8 months) so if you are very lucky, you will be ok but don't get your hopes up. They will offer you random unpaid placements which will cost you more in living expenses unless you live near to the workplace, essentially you end up paying the company to work for them if it's unpaid placement.
    Modules are alright, the choice of science/engineering maths is good. Engineering maths allows you to enter all four streams of energy (power, science, management, markets) whereas doing science maths only allows you to enter either science or management. Those doing management appear to be the most employable. There's a lot of chemistry (physical chemistry, organic chemistry, general chemistry and other random chemistry in modules), a lot of physics (mechanical energy, fluid dynamics, thermal physics, general physics, nuclear etc..) and a lot of weird environmental modules that are actually fairly enjoyable. The modules are challenging (some of them) but if you work at them you will get good grades. UL uses pointless names for the modules we do, they call fluid dynamics "process technology", mechanics "mechanical energy" etc. This, to me, only confuses the employer more about what our course actually do.
    People say there is a huge market for energy graduates, well from my experience there appears NOT to be, unless you are incredibly lucky or have pull with a company. That being said, it's a good course and you get a great education. What good is that though if you can't get a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Im a first year Psych and Soc student, willing to answer any questions anyone may have about the course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kate_B7

Is the maths in the Business course very difficult? doing ordinary level maths and not great at maths at all..
    also does anyone have any information on the politics and public administration course, whats it like etc?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Kate_B7 wrote: »
    Is the maths in the Business course very difficult? doing ordinary level maths and not great at maths at all..
    also does anyone have any information on the politics and public administration course, whats it like etc?:)

Will be able to tell you after next semester,
    Doing Economics and Soc and have a module then..
    I hear it's not too bad though,
    Done OL Maths for LC and had Science Maths last year which was cruel,
    This is supposed to be alright though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kate_B7

Will be able to tell you after next semester,
    Doing Economics and Soc and have a module then..
    I hear it's not too bad though,
    Done OL Maths for LC and had Science Maths last year which was cruel,
    This is supposed to be alright though :)

Thanks for the help!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 liz123

Hi there

I'm new to boards.ie and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me about the post grad in education business. I have an interview and was wondering what time of question the might ask. I'm a mature student looking to go back to teaching. If anyone would know of anyone that would do interview coaching specifically aimed at coaching for interviews for teaching that would be great. I came across this on the internet so something like that that was based here.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Anyone have some info on LM080?

Iv seen the YouTube vids but would appreciate some more info

• Registered Users Posts: 6 marieboyle

Any opinions on Psychology? whats the course like? is there a lot of essays? a lot of maths? are there tutorials? what are the exams like? how big are the classes? is it easy to make friends if you don't know anyone? are the lectures mixed with people doing psychology in other subjects? how does the work experience/ erasmus work? where can you go to? what sort of work experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 GrannySmith77

I have applied to do the International Business degree in September with Spanish as my language choice. I would be interested to hear from anybody who is doing it this year to find out what they think of it. Thanks

Advertisement