Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday 29 March

Options
  • 27-03-2014 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any thoughts for the w\e? Declarations out and draws for Lincoln/spring mile. Oisin Murphy has a few good rides booked , dance and dance looks interesting in the mile.

Meydan world cup night too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Dance and Dance my main fancy for the weekend, will back at 10s lay at 6s

Missed the last 10/1 backed him at 9s. He could go off fav at this rate

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Flat, ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Cant believe how fast its come round, felt like the charlie hall was the other month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Going to give Robert the painter a few of my euro in the Lincoln. Needs to find a bit of form this season but his run with levitate last yr isn't bad and he has the benefit of a high draw and a useful claimer. O Meara is more known for lower grade handicaps but hes had a few good seasons. Going to back him we and throw him and dance x 2 in an each way double.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Dance and Dance my main fancy for the weekend, will back at 10s lay at 6s

He's your main fancy at the weekend to do what? Win or trade slightly lower in running?

If the later, your main weekend bet is going to be 6/4 that this horse flatters and fades. Why bother really?

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    He's your main fancy at the weekend to do what? Win or trade slightly lower in running?

If the later, your main weekend bet is going to be 6/4 that this horse flatters and fades. Why bother really?

:rolleyes:

If you say you fancy something what does it generally mean.

''Why bother really''- what a question. Ensuring you don't lose money yet can still win. Long term profit is my goal not a single big win.

:rolleyes:

If you say you fancy something what does it generally mean.

''Why bother really''- what a question. Ensuring you don't lose money yet can still win. Long term profit is my goal not a single big win.

Don't follow your reasoning.

"Back to lay" is generally the strategy where you expect the horse to flatter and then lose.

You seem to be saying you fancy this to win, so why are you thinking lay?

If you fancy the horse at 10/1 but are greedily planning to arb out at a level which would yield you a return of slightly over 6/4 then you are just playing bond trader and trying to look clever. A guy with that as the highlight of his punting weekend is a mere gambler and not a true racing fan IMO.

"Back to lay" is generally the strategy where you expect the horse to flatter and then lose.

If you fancy the horse at 10/1 but are greedily planning to arb out at a level which would yield you a return of slightly over 6/4 then you are just playing bond trader and trying to look clever. A guy with that as the highlight of his punting weekend is a mere gambler and not a true racing fan IMO.

I fancy the horse in what is a weak race, what is wrong with minimising losses? The horse hasn't won since July 2012 and isn't one for maximum faith

Just how am I trying to look smart? That's the beauty of laying on the exchange, and about 80% of the horses I back beat SP, I should be doing it more often but I'm greedier than I probably should be. Is being disciplined ''trying to look clever''

You certainly got me on the last bit alright. Not a racing fan at all sure I hope the horse never runs again if he doesn't win, ****ing nag :rolleyes:

Also, what is greedy about arbing? Say he goes off at an SP of 6/1 Saturday, isn't it greedy if I decide to let it run as opposed to trading out because I want the bigger win

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭bookman2

What is wrong with trying to minimise losses? - he doesn't use a crystal ball so can't be sure of it winning.

• Advertisement

I fancy the horse in what is a weak race, what is wrong with minimising losses? The horse hasn't won since July 2012 and isn't one for maximum faith

Just how am I trying to look smart? That's the beauty of laying on the exchange, and about 80% of the horses I back beat SP, I should be doing it more often but I'm greedier than I probably should be. Is being disciplined ''trying to look clever''

You certainly got me on the last bit alright. Not a racing fan at all sure I hope the horse never runs again if he doesn't win, ****ing nag :rolleyes:

Also, what is greedy about arbing? Say he goes off at an SP of 6/1 Saturday, isn't it greedy if I decide to let it run as opposed to trading out because I want the bigger win

If that's your attitude why don't you just forget about trying to find winners altogether and just concentrate on trying to find back to lay opportunities.

There is nothing wrong with arbing per se from a standing position. That's not what you are doing. You are gambling on the possibility of an arb arising in running. And don't tell me you as a layer aren't secretly hoping for bad things to happen after you trade out to validate your decision:rolleyes::rolleyes: IMO that is very close to the betting shop bores calling for favourites to fall at the last.

In terms of long term returns, if you keep trading out of 10/1 winners at 6/4 I cant see that working long term. For every one that shortens you will have one like that Josie you put up today. Even if you successfully arb 10 horses in a row for peanuts what enjoyment could that give a person. You would have successfully picked 10 shorteners, well done take a bow. You are ideally suited for a career in bean counting. Racing is a sport.

If that's your attitude why don't you just forget about trying to find winners altogether and just concentrate on trying to find back to lay opportunities.

There is nothing wrong with arbing per se from a standing position. That's not what you are doing. You are gambling on the possibility of an arb arising in running. And don't tell me you as a layer aren't secretly hoping for bad things to happen after you trade out to validate your decision:rolleyes::rolleyes: IMO that is very close to the betting shop bores calling for favourites to fall at the last.

In terms of long term returns, if you keep trading out of 10/1 winners at 6/4 I cant see that working long term. For every one that shortens you will have one like that Josie you put up today. Even if you successfully arb 10 horses in a row for peanuts what enjoyment could that give a person. You would have successfully picked 10 shorteners, well done take a bow. You are ideally suited for a career in bean counting. Racing is a sport.

I'll treat your moronic response with the respect it deserves and end the discussion at this. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

madmoose wrote: »
    Cant believe how fast its come round, felt like the charlie hall was the other month.

Will they let you back out for the flat Moose, ya header? Seeing as you were robbed of a Queen Mother win, it's the least they could do!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Im sure ill have a spin at chester in the may fest if they lift my ban ;)

Johner wrote: »
    Flat, ugh.

Sorry but I can never understand this. Every year with the announcement of the flat season we see people crabbing it. It's become like a fashion statement. You never ever see people bemoan the arrival of the NH season. I'm getting a little tired of it to be honest. I love racing. And I certainly don't have an inferiority complex about which code I follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

BumperD wrote: »
    Sorry but I can never understand this. Every year with the announcement of the flat season we see people crabbing it. It's become like a fashion statement. You never ever see people bemoan the arrival of the NH season. I'm getting a little tired of it to be honest. I love racing. And I certainly don't have an inferiority complex about which code I follow.

I can understand the bemoaning..it goes from jumping fences and hurdles, mistakes and spills, bottomless ground, good ground, soft ground, highly
    Emotional jockeys, last fence fallers, tony McCoy, ruby Walsh, Dennis hogan, Cheltenham preview podcasts, stables shutting down for man flu, festival cheers in the blistering cold, hot whiskey in your gloved hand to
    Straight line sprints, one mistake or your slow away from the trap and your gone! Sunglasses, civil behavior and champagne...
    I am warming to the flat this year but nothing on the jumps, large handicaps I like..
    Thanks The Lord punchestown, aintree and Peter bowen cleaning up in the summer time will save us all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Its not the flat season so much as the end of the jumps season. The flat just cant compete as a spectacle.

Its off the junk and on to methadone for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Un De Sceaux running in Auteil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Hear Hear, can we not just love both codes?

Fine season in the jumps,

But , bring on SUNNY (hopefully) days at The Curragh, to the Derby at Epson,Royal Ascot,, Newmarket , Breeders Cup (where many of our horses and the Brits do well and so do we betting wise) or the cheeky mid week day meets at the Curragh and Leopardstown (Last year it was all about Royal Diamond v Ernest Hemingway and then Weld's horse bet them to it in the Irish St Ledger and handy 6/1 bet on Trading Leather) And of course, Rowdy meets at York (genuine racing fans unlike the stiff at Royal Ascot)

And of course, Galway aka Dermot Weld/Pat Smullen Benefit week (to be fair Weld may have some interesting stock this year) - well the jumps to be fair

I use to think it was a nod and a wink joke, but now its getting silly.

Either way, hopefully Irish Jockies, Trainers and Horses do the business this season ; and Slade Power gets out of the stalls alot more consistently.

ste2010 wrote: »
    I can understand the bemoaning..it goes from jumping fences and hurdles, mistakes and spills, bottomless ground, good ground, soft ground, highly
    Emotional jockeys, last fence fallers, tony McCoy, ruby Walsh, Dennis hogan, Cheltenham preview podcasts, stables shutting down for man flu, festival cheers in the blistering cold, hot whiskey in your gloved hand to
    Straight line sprints, one mistake or your slow away from the trap and your gone! Sunglasses, civil behavior and champagne...
    I am warming to the flat this year but nothing on the jumps, large handicaps I like..
    Thanks The Lord punchestown, aintree and Peter bowen cleaning up in the summer time will save us all

Some of my favourite flat season races are the 2 milers. Tend to do reasonably well with them with good odds. Eagle Rock was a star for me last year. Even places can get you a few quid when you look at the favourites, laugh, and pick horses that are (a) very experienced at those kind of distances (b) nicer weight etc. Sometimes, for the life of me, I can never understand why some horses that were favourites had been considered favourites, oh well, Bookies snooze and loose.

Others were the large field 6 f sprints. On a tip, I got Lethal Force at Royal Ascot at lovely odds, and would have been better each way.

• Advertisement

I see Mars Mars Mars runs in the Sheena Classic. Now I'm not suggesting for a minute that he's the likely winner but 40\1 looks a bit of each way value if he manages to discover some of last years form.

Chill out Bumps.

I like the flat as I like all racing but it doesn't come close to national hunt racing.

Its not the flat season so much as the end of the jumps season. The flat just cant compete as a spectacle.

Its off the junk and on to methadone for the summer.

That's basically how I feel. The jumps season has flew by. :mad:

Hardly the most memorable jumps season. We have Treve and some nice three year olds to look forward to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

4.39 Meydan

Educate 40/1

I think everyone on here knows how much I love this fella and although he's got to take a big step forward to land this contest I think he is primed to run a massive, massive race. Improving all the time, this 5 year old went from an opening mark of 88 last year to land the Cambridgeshire off a mark of 104 (form reads incredibly well) under a huge weight of 9-9 despite hanging badly and there has certainly been encouragement in his 2 starts at Meydan this year. The first of which came on the back of 124 day absence in the Group 2 Al Rashidiya over this C+D at the end of January when finishing a promising 6th beaten less than 4L (pulled quite hard) and I was very surprised and delighted with his last run 3 weeks ago in the Group 1 3rd round of the Al Maktoum challenge. Over 10f on Tapeta (a surface I thought he'd hate given former yard profiler Terry Norman said he didn't sparkle at all on the AW in England during last years pre-season training), I thought Educate ran a blinder under tomorrow's pilot Maxime Guyon to be beaten 2.5L in 5th despite having his run interrupted on a couple of occasions (he's a horse who likes to come with long, withering runs) and I think both runs will have put him spot on for this extremely valuable contest. With a lovely draw in stall 5 and having gained very valuable track experience, Educate represents the 2007 Carnival leading trainer in Ismail Mohammed who bagged 16 winners that year including the UAE Oaks and 1,000 Guineas and I'm sure Educate will be primed to perfection for this Group 1 contest. Returned to turf and over 9f, I'm hoping Guyon positions Educate in the midfield as Meydan isn't a place you want to get too far back and although this is unquestionably his toughest test to date there is no doubt in my mind that there is still improvement left in this son of Echo Of Light. With doubts surrounding The Fugue (never ran at course, lack of a recent run and trip), Just A Way (no course experience and first time abroad) and Dank (lack of a recent run and no course experience), I am utterly astounded to see 40/1 freely available about Educate as I would have gladly backed him at half that price. Still on the upgrade, tomorrow we find out if Educate has the class to cut it at the top level but I firmly believe he is going to run an absolute monster and I will be absolutely over the moon if he can land this contest worth over £1.8m to the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

rossom wrote: »
    4.39 Meydan

Educate 40/1

I think everyone on here knows how much I love this fella and although he's got to take a big step forward to land this contest I think he is primed to run a massive, massive race. Improving all the time, this 5 year old went from an opening mark of 88 last year to land the Cambridgeshire off a mark of 104 (form reads incredibly well) under a huge weight of 9-9 despite hanging badly and there has certainly been encouragement in his 2 starts at Meydan this year. The first of which came on the back of 124 day absence in the Group 2 Al Rashidiya over this C+D at the end of January when finishing a promising 6th beaten less than 4L (pulled quite hard) and I was very surprised and delighted with his last run 3 weeks ago in the Group 1 3rd round of the Al Maktoum challenge. Over 10f on Tapeta (a surface I thought he'd hate given former yard profiler Terry Norman said he didn't sparkle at all on the AW in England during last years pre-season training), I thought Educate ran a blinder under tomorrow's pilot Maxime Guyon to be beaten 2.5L in 5th despite having his run interrupted on a couple of occasions (he's a horse who likes to come with long, withering runs) and I think both runs will have put him spot on for this extremely valuable contest. With a lovely draw in stall 5 and having gained very valuable track experience, Educate represents the 2007 Carnival leading trainer in Ismail Mohammed who bagged 16 winners that year including the UAE Oaks and 1,000 Guineas and I'm sure Educate will be primed to perfection for this Group 1 contest. Returned to turf and over 9f, I'm hoping Guyon positions Educate in the midfield as Meydan isn't a place you want to get too far back and although this is unquestionably his toughest test to date there is no doubt in my mind that there is still improvement left in this son of Echo Of Light. With doubts surrounding The Fugue (never ran at course, lack of a recent run and trip), Just A Way (no course experience and first time abroad) and Dank (lack of a recent run and no course experience), I am utterly astounded to see 40/1 freely available about Educate as I would have gladly backed him at half that price. Still on the upgrade, tomorrow we find out if Educate has the class to cut it at the top level but I firmly believe he is going to run an absolute monster and I will be absolutely over the moon if he can land this contest worth over £1.8m to the winner.

His run the last day was very encouraging. Awful draw and was doing all his best work at the finish. I was surprised watching it how much ground he made up late on. 40/1 huge price about him. Will be having some of that!

Hardly the most memorable jumps season. We have Treve and some nice three year olds to look forward to

I am interested to see how Bolger does with Trading Leather, obviously no where near Treve ,just a horse I liked all year. Maybe he will give Leitir Mor a chance to run his own race (or did he get rid of him) lol.

Also interested to see whether Slade Power will progress further.

Toormore will be interesting, will Australia live up to the hype? Will we have another 3 year old like Ruler of the world who did the business against his own age group despite not running as a two year old...

There is a bit of talk about Weld getting a large order of horsies

Going to take a chance on the well handicapped Fruity O'Rooney tomorrow at 8/1. Not a bad race for the track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

What time would you normally expect all online bookies to have races priced up? For example; Navan today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Stratford 4:15

Court By Surprise is dropping down is class here and I’m having trouble finding any viable alternative bar the favourite who has to cope with a big rise in handicap mark. He will need to get over a poor enough run last time when he appeared not to stay after traveling well, but this is a few furlongs shorter and he has been given a decent chance by the handicapper here. I missed the 6/1 last night but 11/2 is still plenty of value and he could well have a bit much for these.

1 Point win 11/2 Various

Advertisement