Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marmotte 2014........

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

All signed up since Monday at 1.30pm, despite a few crashes on website, got there, confirmed and delighted. Had decided to this event last year and did a lot of research and reading earlier this year. Actually booked the Kingofthemountains.co.uk accommodation in January, based on a previous marmotte thread on boards.ie.

The link posted by Leroy 42 on page 1 is a good comprehensive read of the event. There is also a great blog read on page 5 of the Marmotte 2010 thread, by a chap called Mosiki - http://tour-de-mise.blogspot.ie/ - really honest overview of the event and the toughness of same.

Was doing this with an ex work colleague, who has pulled out this morning as he is back to Santry clinic for surgery on both knees. So have half a room to move for a weeks full board accommodation, but that is another days work. Will fly to Lyon on the Sunday and then car hire and motor to Bourg, so will have a week to get used to environment and see the area. I have not cycled at altitude previously.

Started cycling in Jan 2012 and did a 1000k charity cycle from Oslo to Dusseldorf in June 2012 over 7 days and got the bug and then the quest for the real challenge set in, hence this. Also joined the local club in Wexford town last year to keep up the activity and group cycling.

Only cycle for pleasure and did the Mount Leinster 140, The Dragon, The Wicklow 100, Friends of Ferns sportive along with another 3-4 100k local sportive in South East.

Took October off all exercise - a combination of rest and too busy with work. Now back doing 30 minutes of rowing every evening along with 2 cycles on Saturday and Sunday, just to get the distance going and build up a base to Christmas.

Can get some bit of access to what we call hills, by using Mount Leinster and then going to Waterford for Mahon Falls and out around Carrick on Suir also. Plan will be Saturday a good distance cycle and then Sunday a lot of climbing in these areas. I also work out of Leopardstown area, so once the evenings extend in March onwards, I plan to do mid-week climbing in the Wicklow area.

Looking forward to it and the challenge it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭borntobike

Signed up and flights booked for Marmotte. Doing two sessions a week on Keiser Spin Bikes at a high wattage plus 1-2 weights sessions. Then a big 100K plus cycle at the weekend. Weights sessions are a big help but high intensity spinning is excellent too.
    I am told that serious climbing will be required with 2000-2500M days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hardgrit

All

Hope you don't mind me gate crashing but came across your forum on marmotte. I did it this year and have signed up again for next year. If anyone is interested below is a blog page I wrote up with some info on it

http://scottdavieslamarmotte2013.blogspot.co.uk/

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭goldenboots

Hardgrit wrote: »
    All

Hope you don't mind me gate crashing but came across your forum on marmotte. I did it this year and have signed up again for next year. If anyone is interested below is a blog page I wrote up with some info on it

http://scottdavieslamarmotte2013.blogspot.co.uk/

Cheers

Excellent advice, particularly the emphasis on the mental approach and how it is really about the cyclist, not their bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hardgrit

Hi

Yes your body is capable of going way beyond what you think.
    Best advice I can give is drop as much weight as you can and do as many 100 mile rides as you can. I'm trying to do 1 a month just to condition my whole body. I've done 2 now. Might be a struggle when winter sets in though. Good luck

Thanks for the Tips

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

did the etape in 2010, the last one before they split into two. I hadnt dont too many rides over 100k before hand and definately none over 160k. Lots of interval work on the turbo. On the day, had little difficulty with saddle time, at 9 hours. What got me was the length of the climbs......the turbo intervals prepared me well for the intensity of climbing, but only for the first 20 minutes. If was doing it again, Id definately start doing some 20min to 1hr intervals at FTP so simulate high intensity for the time needed to summit a climb

• Advertisement

That is a brilliant blog Scott - invaluable advice so thanks a million!!
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭El Vino

07Lapierre wrote: »

Just booked with these for the 3 day trip.

Let the training begin

EV

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mayo self-build

Was thinking of doing this event, and I'm hoping that those more experienced can give me some pointers... I've never been away with my bike before, so all of the logistical challenges, etc are new to me. A couple of basic questions: are there any Irish-based tour operators that offer a package?

I've had a look at a few of the blogs referenced here, which offer fantastic training tips, etc. Are the any good blogs / posts that focus on the various logistical options like going with a package versus trying to go it alone?

If I do this, I'm likely to be travelling alone and not part of a group of any sort, so my instinct is to go with an organised trip of some sort.

Would really appreciate any tips, advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Was thinking of doing this event, and I'm hoping that those more experienced can give me some pointers... I've never been away with my bike before, so all of the logistical challenges, etc are new to me. A couple of basic questions: are there any Irish-based tour operators that offer a package?

I've had a look at a few of the blogs referenced here, which offer fantastic training tips, etc. Are the any good blogs / posts that focus on the various logistical options like going with a package versus trying to go it alone?

If I do this, I'm likely to be travelling alone and not part of a group of any sort, so my instinct is to go with an organised trip of some sort.

Would really appreciate any tips, advice.

A lot of people use SportActive.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

I was in the same boat....doing the etape. Only had a few days so didn't want to go with a formal tour. In the end got an accommodation package only and booked my own flights. Worked out fine. Shop around and you should be able to get accommodation only packages and maybe bike transport.

Ryder wrote: »
    I was in the same boat....doing the etape. Only had a few days so didn't want to go with a formal tour. In the end got an accommodation package only and booked my own flights. Worked out fine. Shop around and you should be able to get accommodation only packages and maybe bike transport.

Unless you already have an entry for Marmottee 2014, the only way you'll be able to enter is by signing up with one of the travel companies that offer Accommodation and entry to the event.

Thanks for the feedback; Sport Active certainly seems like an option. Anyone any experience of using them previously?

Kinda puts it in perspective really...:eek:

286919.png

Mmmm. Looks like quite the spin! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭El Vino

I know people who did the Etape with them last year, they are one of the most professional in the business, used to be know as Graham Baxter tours. Their logistics operation at the Etape I did was a sight to behold. My friends found them good and had no complaints.

I booked with these for the Marmotte http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk/ they just came accross as slightly smaller and more personal.

Hope the training is going well, - I need to lose a stone between now and then to get back to racing weight.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know that someone is familiar with them. Strong Logistical support is what I was looking for.

Yes, I could do with losing a bit of weight too. I'm not sure what my racing weight would be :), but I could do with getting down towards what it might have been.

The training is gearing up slowly. Mainly turbo work for the next few weeks, with some weekend spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Signed up myself and a few friends.

Flying into Lyon and then driving to Le Bourg. Meeting a French friend there who has an apartment close by. We are renting bike boxes and taking our bikes over with us. Will go for a small spin the day before to make sure the bikes are ok after travelling and then have a few beers the night before (joking).

Been doing spin classes the past few months and about 80K a week average over the summer. Will be ramping that up next week and aim to do 100k a week on the road, plus spinning and might start TRX to get the arms in shape.

Best of luck!

cheerspal wrote: »

Flying into Lyon and then driving to Le Bourg. Meeting a French friend there who has an apartment close by. We are renting bike boxes and taking our bikes over with us. Will go for a small spin the day before to make sure the bikes are ok after travelling and then have a few beers the night before (joking).

Been doing spin classes the past few months and about 80K a week average over the summer. Will be ramping that up next week and aim to do 100k a week on the road, plus spinning and might start TRX to get the arms in shape.

Best of luck!

100k is not a lot (even for this time of year). I'd aim for 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

cheerspal wrote: »

Best of luck!

Why do you need to get your arms in shape? Muscle on the top part of your body is fairly useless (unless you have no strenght whatsoever). Look at pics of the top climbers and they have almost skeletel upper bodies.

Assuming that you live a normal life, your arms will be fine. Better to use that time on the bike. As you train on the bike the arm/neck strength will improve from use.

Getting out regularly is more important than distance covered at this time of the year (obviously the more the better). Get a good training plan up and going even if this means that you need to only get 100k in a week with a plan to increase this over the coming months.

As Marmotte is all about climbing, try to get as much of your training in the hills. Be it Sutton, Killakee or wherever, simply getting used to climbing as much as possible to allow for training both standing and seated climbing etc.

Other types of exercise is better than nothing at all, but it is better to focus on cycling as much as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

07Lapierre wrote: »
    100k is not a lot (even for this time of year). I'd aim for 200.

I would say that 100k a week on the road is enough for now, if it is in one outing and you are still doing the 80k spin a week on top of that. You will need to start upping the distance you do in a single spin as time goes by though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Curnode

Hello all,

I know I am late enquiring about any places for the Marmotte in 2014 but just in case...........if anyone knows of a company still ofering places etc I'd appreciate it.

For those signing up for the first time ...The best of luck and enjoy it !!
    I was over in the Alps last year with my family and took the opportunity to get some cycling in every second day. The cycling is SPECTACULAR !! I did different climbs on different days and got in the Glandon and the Alpe d'Huez amomgst others. These are tough climbs on their own so putting three of the biggest climbs together in one day is just something else. On the plus side the quality of roads over there is fabulous , so practicing on our Irish roads will help!! Personally I felt that a combination of the nice temperatures and the good surface made the 7%-8% gradients bearable. For these long climbs I felt you just had to shut down the brain and get your mindset "somewhere else" and just drill your way up these hills...in the knowledge that each climb is 1- 2 hours long . I'm in my mid 40s and cycling just 4-5 years so this is doable . Definitely doing the sportives is a great help for training for these big climbs in the Alps .

In short: "climb hills lots! ". Roll on end of Feb/early March...Wicklow beckons! :)

http://www.stickybottle.com/coaching/coaching-dan-fleemans-common-sense-guide-to-improving-your-climbing/

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

Folks,
    I have half a room share going at the kingofthemountains.co.uk for the week of the Marmotte. The chap doing this with me, has pulled out. The accommodation is from Sunday 29th June- Sunday 6th July. Meals are also included.

If you know of anyone, who might have an interest, would appreciate the sharing of this thread. This is advertised on their site as €700 for the week, however we had booked very early(Jan 2013) and also paid a deposit, so this will not cost the advertised rate.

many thanks

So....how's everyone's training going?

• Advertisement

Was going well until 10 days ago when picked up chest infection, which I'm unfortunately prone to. Not good timing. Heading now for indoor turbo session to see if I can coax some life back into the legs.

07Lapierre - have you completed Marmotte previously? What advice would you have at this stage, with about 14 weeks to go?

Advertisement