Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Soap Opera Time Machine - Your Favourite Memories of Yesteryear in Soapland

Options
  • 28-02-2014 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭

A thread to discuss your favourite characters, storylines, deaths, villains, couples, etc. etc. of days gone by.
    The thread isn't dedicated to any soap in particular, post your thoughts on any of your choice whether it be Corrie, Eastenders, Emmerdale, Fair City, Brookside, Glenroe, Hollyoaks, Ros na Rún, Home & Away, Neighbours or whatever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I gave up on Home and Away many years ago, but up until about 2004 it was one soap I never missed an episode of it, and one thing I think they should have never given up on was the cool opening credits they used up until 1999.

Enjoy

Storyline wise, I can't think of anything better to kick off this thread with, than one of the biggest upsets in soap history.

The Emmerdale Plane Crash, in which they killed off several cast members and the village started afresh, changing the tone of the show entirely...

And over 20 years later, thanks to updated technology, we can relive those moments once more...

Can't embed the video, but you'll find it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00I5PQg9FLo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

When Coronation St had characters who were plausible and decent storylines. A long time ago in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

My most memorable soap moment was when the Jordache's finally killed off the evil Trevor Jordache (Brian Murray) in Brookside and buried his body under their back patio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I enjoyed the Deirdre, Ken, Mike triangle in Corrie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I started watching Corrie as a kid with my parents in the late 70's, loved the Hilda & Stan Ogden and Eddie Yeats stories. The day Hilda said goodbye to Stan always stuck out in my memory. His possessions came from the hospital in a brown paper parcel and she opened them..

Also Jack & Vera, always stuck together no matter how much they got on each others nerves. Corrie's writers today might learn from this, it seems no couple can stay together for more than 3 months until they're shagging someone else. Jack's death was expected but the twist with Vera (who had died a couple of years earlier) was great writing.

when todd kissed nick

i knew i was gay cas i liked it :D

I know there is a Top 20 (or something) of Corrie's moments that gets shown on tv every so often, and Hilda holding the glasses case features in it. It is just so sad, and so well done. She, Stan and Eddie were great characters. Jack and Vera, also great actors, had some brilliant storylines over the years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

When Emmerdale was Emmerdale Farm, and they actually had a farm. A sort of English Riordans back then. There were two old guys who owned the pub, constantly arguing but a great source of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 schoolhouse

Hilda holding Stan's glasses after is death never fails to make me well up.
    Those who dont remember them in Coronation St will never appreciate the effect this scene had on people.
    Real drama and emotion and no over dramatics that passes for acting these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

Hilda holding Stan's glasses after is death never fails to make me well up.
    Those who dont remember them in Coronation St will never appreciate the effect this scene had on people.
    Real drama and emotion and no over dramatics that passes for acting these days.

Agree. If that scene happened in Corrie today, it would be followed by Hilda going out and getting drunk and screaming and rowing with people in the street. And within a few weeks, she'd be moving in a new bloke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Storyline wise, I can't think of anything better to kick off this thread with, than one of the biggest upsets in soap history.

The Emmerdale Plane Crash, in which they killed off several cast members and the village started afresh, changing the tone of the show entirely...

And over 20 years later, thanks to updated technology, we can relive those moments once more...

Can't embed the video, but you'll find it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00I5PQg9FLo

I saw this thread mentioned on the frontpage this morning and came here to post specifically about the plane crash. I was about 10 when I saw it first time round. Watched it again recently. Thats how you do it Corrie writers, in case you are reading this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Hilda's final scenes in Coronation Street. Christmas Day 1987.

Wish Me Luck As You Wave Me Goodbye

Just watched that clip of Hilda's farewell. Aww. So many good characters, it made me very nostalgic. I might watch it again now instead of Phelan/ Gazza / Faye etc :D

Radio5 wrote: »
    Agree. If that scene happened in Corrie today, it would be followed by Hilda going out and getting drunk and screaming and rowing with people in the street. And within a few weeks, she'd be moving in a new bloke.

Yes, probably Peter Barlow...:D
    Love the Corrie clips posted here.
    I was an Eastenders fan, way back, but gave up on it, a long time ago. There were some powerful scenes on it, over the years too.
    Emmerdale had some good story lines when the Tates were at Home Farm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Stephen McCoy going to boarding school in Fair City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Katgurl

i definitely have some EE ones.

The Christmas special where Lauren puts the dvd under the christmas tree with Stacey's wedding day - it shows Max begging her to be with him, the whole family sit and watch it; Max & Tanya, Stacey & Bradley, the two little girls. In fact the actual wedding episode a few months earlier was gripping too.

The New Years day when Pat Butcher dies; Jeanneanne howling in her arms, David Wicks spitting bile at her about then finally telling her he forgives her.

Ronnie being reunited with her long-lost daughter moments before she watches her die on the street.

Jeanneanne setting up a wh0rehouse in the square and Ian Beale being her best customer.

Ian being shot by Cindy's hitman so she could run away with David.

Biance trying to seduce David not realising he's her father (yuck).

Arthur Fowler turning over his own home to fund Michelle's wedding on the insurance money.

I love EE, it's so grim, it makes my own life look a bed of roses comparitively.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Haven't watched Corrie in years but the time Richard Hillman was in it was good.

For Glenroe I suppose it was Mileys roll in the hay with Fidelma:P

In FC it would be when Barry O Hanlon bumped off Sarah.

EE would be poor old lovesick Barry and Janine on the clifftop.

For Glenroe I suppose it was Mileys roll in the hay with Fidelma:P

Easily the most referenced storyline in the history of Glenroe. I think it made front page of all the newspapers the Monday after that episode aired. The nation was in an uproar.

And it didn't even involve Glenroe's most popular character (and arguably the greatest soap character in all the soaps) Blackie f**kin Connors!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Easily the most referenced storyline in the history of Glenroe. I think it made front page of all the newspapers the Monday after that episode aired. The nation was in an uproar.

And it didn't even involve Glenroe's most popular character (and arguably the greatest soap character in all the soaps) Blackie f**kin Connors!!!

The bould Blackie was having it off with Biddys posh sister Carol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Meg dying in Blake's arms on the beach in H&A was so sad

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Meg dying in Blake's arms on the beach in H&A was so sad

Aye, back when Home and Away was must see TV. It went to sh!te when Don Fisher left.

Speaking of Fisher, when Don and Marilyn's baby son Byron died. Heartbreaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

Home & Away is still good but I thought the 2007 - 2009 period was very good, some great moments and characters, the campbell family, drew, belle, aden, miles, the bus explosion, the 2008 episodes with roman in the bush and especially the aden/larry storyline. 2010 was insufferable but as soon as the Braxton clan were introduced the show has been on top form.

EastEnders - i think it's been fairly consistent in entertainment but 2005-2007 stands out with Johnny Allan, etc and Stella. Christian/Syed was a stand out as well in 2009-2010.

orangesoda wrote: »
    Home & Away is still good but I thought the 2007 - 2009 period was very good, some great moments and characters, the campbell family, drew, belle, aden, miles, the bus explosion, the 2008 episodes with roman in the bush and especially the aden/larry storyline. 2010 was insufferable but as soon as the Braxton clan were introduced the show has been on top form.

Ah, I stopped watching a long long time ago. Probably been about 10 years since I last caught up with the goings on in Summer Bay. 1993-1999 was when it was at the top of its game for me. The days of Shane & Angel, Shannon & Selina, Curtis & Jack, Joey & Saul, Justine & Tegan, Jesse & Vinnie, Will & Gypsy, to name but some of the greats...

In regard to H&A, as much as I love to admire the Braxton boy's bodies particular Heath :p the show has become the Braxtons show the last few years with the same rehashed storylines for them whereas characters like Irene and Alf etc., get no storylines or lack of screen time and some new characters are completely useless and annoying i.e. Spencer, Tamara and Maddie

Ah, I stopped watching a long long time ago. Probably been about 10 years since I last caught up with the goings on in Summer Bay. 1993-1999 was when it was at the top of its game for me. The days of Shane & Angel, Shannon & Selina, Curtis & Jack, Joey & Saul, Justine & Tegan, Jesse & Vinnie, Will & Gypsy, to name but some of the greats...

i'm not old enough to remember that, i started watching in 1999-2000, i think it is more of a phase for teenagers over here to watch it as my siblings watched it in 90's but stopped before they reached 18, the few loyal fans would keep on watching. it would be different regarding the english soaps

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    In regard to H&A, as much as I love to admire the Braxton boy's bodies particular Heath :p the show has become the Braxtons show the last few years with the same rehashed storylines for them whereas characters like Irene and Alf etc., get no storylines or lack of screen time and some new characters are completely useless and annoying i.e. Spencer, Tamara and Maddie

you will be glad to hear that they will soon be leaving, the show will suffer badly i would predict for a while at least. I enjoyed Sally returning for a while but she went off again.

you will be glad to hear that they will soon be leaving, the show will suffer badly i would predict for a while at least. I enjoyed Sally returning for a while but she went off again.

The other "bad boy" brothers the Barretts are still there though

i'm not old enough to remember that, i started watching in 1999-2000, i think it is more of a phase for teenagers over here to watch it as my siblings watched it in 90's but stopped before they reached 18, the few loyal fans would keep on watching. it would be different regarding the english soaps

You missed out bud. I'd agree that the age thing may be a factor, but it also just used to be a damn better show. You should try and stumble upon some of the older episodes as they were really great. I think the Mudslide was in 2000... That was good. Do you remember it? Probably the last great storyline of my era anyway.

• Advertisement

You missed out bud. I'd agree that the age thing may be a factor, but it also just used to be a damn better show. You should try and stumble upon some of the older episodes as they were really great. I think the Mudslide was in 2000... That was good. Do you remember it? Probably the last great storyline of my era anyway.

Specific episodes don't really stick out in my mind from the early 2000's, it was dominated by the Sutherlands, I thought the show was rather dull back then in comparison to Neighbours. I've looked back at the 1995 Saul cult storyline on youtube, also used to watch the 1988 episodes

Advertisement