Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Soap Opera Time Machine - Your Favourite Memories of Yesteryear in Soapland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

orangesoda wrote: »
    Specific episodes don't really stick out in my mind from the early 2000's, it was dominated by the Sutherlands, I thought the show was rather dull back then in comparison to Neighbours. I've looked back at the 1995 Saul cult storyline on youtube, also used to watch the 1988 episodes

You'd remember the mudslide if you'd seen it. It went on for about 2 weeks. It was the first introduction of Noah and Alf lost his house. The Sutherlands had barely been in it a wet week at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Ah, I stopped watching a long long time ago. Probably been about 10 years since I last caught up with the goings on in Summer Bay. 1993-1999 was when it was at the top of its game for me. The days of Shane & Angel, Shannon & Selina, Curtis & Jack, Joey & Saul, Justine & Tegan, Jesse & Vinnie, Will & Gypsy, to name but some of the greats...

This must have been when I watched it, I remember those names. It always looked such an idyllic place, even though the inhabitants actually had lots of problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Brian Tilsley's death in Coronation Street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Katgurl wrote: »
    i definitely have some EE ones.

The Christmas special where Lauren puts the dvd under the christmas tree with Stacey's wedding day - it shows Max begging her to be with him, the whole family sit and watch it; Max & Tanya, Stacey & Bradley, the two little girls. In fact the actual wedding episode a few months earlier was gripping too.

The New Years day when Pat Butcher dies; Jeanneanne howling in her arms, David Wicks spitting bile at her about then finally telling her he forgives her.

Ronnie being reunited with her long-lost daughter moments before she watches her die on the street.

Jeanneanne setting up a wh0rehouse in the square and Ian Beale being her best customer.

Ian being shot by Cindy's hitman so she could run away with David.

Biance trying to seduce David not realising he's her father (yuck).

Arthur Fowler turning over his own home to fund Michelle's wedding on the insurance money.

I love EE, it's so grim, it makes my own life look a bed of roses comparitively.

Matthew's revenge on Steve in the E20 was excellent - the worm really turned that day!

Mark Fowler's HIV storyline was brilliant too

• Registered Users Posts: 85,285 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone remember Sunset Beach (US soap that was shown on TV3, premise was Dorothy in Oz, way ott but very enjoyable)

I hoped TV3 would repeat it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

The bush fire in Home and Away when Jack started it.
    And the floods when Michael died.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The Sullivans, how long did that war last? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

madmaggie wrote: »
    The Sullivans, how long did that war last? :confused:

World War II lasted from 1 September 1939 to 2 September 1945.

The Sullivans' timeline was September 1939 to sometime in 1948.

1,114 episodes were made.
    In Australia it ran from November 1976 to March 1983. They showed four or five episodes a week.

The ITV network took 12 years to complete the run [1977 to 1989] as they averaged two episodes a week.

The Sullivans on RTE was a joke. RTE 1 showed one episode a week and none if there was showjumping or snooker. So they didn't complete their airing of the series until the late 1990s. As a result the show got an unfair reputation for being "slow" and "lasting longer than the war" etc.

It's a great soap. Medium Rare Entertainment are releasing it on DVD. Each set contains 50 episodes - they've released four sets so far with two more coming this month and a further pair at the end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I agree about the scheduling on RTE, it was all over the place, so perhaps that is how I formed the impression that the series seemed to go on and on and on....

The Sullivans theme is going through my head now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,285 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I have some vague memories of A Country Practice and The Flying Doctors as me mammy loved them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Bobby coming through the fridge in Home and Away.

The burglary at Biddy and Miley's house

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Eastenders

Sharon's mad night of passion with her brother in law Phil....knocking all the glasses off the bar. THEN the scene where the tape of Sharon confessing her affair with Phil was played in front of Grant and a full pub!!! Omigawd!!!

Finding out Den was Michelle's baby's father. The absolute last person you'd expect. The durrty durrty divil!!

Loved the affair with David Wicks and Cindy. The build up to it.. remember him flirtageously drawing a line down the back of her legs to give the appearance of stockings? It was a matter of time before she succombed. Then their meeting in the car lot cabin with 'Me and Mrs Jones' playing- so bad but so romantic and what a perfectly appropriate song :-)

Corrie

Hard to pick stand out ones but among them -
    Ken/Deirdre/Mike triangle. The night where she decides to stay with Ken.

The Alan Bradley terrorises Rita storyline finishing in Blackpool. (you know he married Audrey -Sue Nicholls in real life?)

Brookside
    I didn't watch from the beginning but
    The Trevor Jordache story with the night of his murder and his body being found, being my most memorable bits.

Eldorado
    Finding out Freddie's secret lover was Ingrid's boyfriend Javier!! Fcukin hell- Biggest shock I ever had in a soap.

Advertisement