Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a "gamer"? Do you consider yourself a "gamer"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Argh, not the 'retro gamer' can of worms! :pac:

I collect consoles and games from previous generations. Am I a 'retro gamer'? no. Why? Because it indicates I play older games because they're older games. Out of some kind of nostalgia for my youth.

I play these games because they were great games when they came out and they continue to be great games. I never stopped playing them.

It's the same as great film and books stand the test of time. I really don't understand why we need to differentiate between generations in gaming so much. Appreciate gaming a whole, not just on what's newest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I divide gamers between has played stalker and has not player stalker

your piddling divisions and infighting mean nothing to me

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

o1s1n wrote: »
    Argh, not the 'retro gamer' can of worms! :pac:

I died a bit inside when I saw the original Grand Theft Auto being referred to as Retro. Then I felt very very old. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm a player of good games.

And bad, because you don't know what's "good" until you've experienced what's "bad".

I went abroad to Cannes for a fighting game tournament a couple weeks back and spent most of the time partying with the other competitiors. I can confirm at no point during the weekend was I wearing gaming related clothing.

In fact, the winner of this large event was interviewed for a gaming site and when asked what his favourite part of the weekend was he said something along the lines of "winning, obviously, and hanging with the Irish guys".

Anyway the hardcore gamer tag is a bit silly. I know frame data for certain fighting games but I barely concern myself with new releases. I rarely play on PC and I dislike most FPSes intensely. I barely understand MOBAs. I do however enjoy mobile gaming.

So at the same time I am really casual and a huge "hardcore" gamer.

I've never understood the "hardcore" tag and it being applied to platforms. I could point any of ye at iOS wargames that are not lacking in grognard points and would befuddle most here. That they're on an iPad instead of a PC doesn't mean a dumbing down necessarily.

I think the anti-mobile thing comes from studies looking at "where the average gamer games" and they include people who play 15-20 minutes a week on their phone as gamers. Lumping these in with the 20 hours a week crowd doesn't make much sense. It's like throwing in the people who go for a short jog on Sundays with the people running 30+ km a week. So you get a backlash and the "No true gamer plays Farmville" kind of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I'm going to start calling myself a 'booker' when I'm reading. Or a 'kindler' which can also work while playing Dark Souls.

I'm going to start calling myself a 'booker' when I'm reading. Or a 'kindler' which can also work while playing Dark Souls.

You're not a booker! That book has less than 500 pages!!!

nesf wrote: »

WAR AND PEACE IS BETTER THAN ULYSSES BECAUSE TOLSTOY ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT HIS READERS AND THE FONT HAS A HIGHER RESOLUTION AND JOYCE FANS ARE JUST BUTTHURT ABOUT FINNEGAN'S WAKE.

WAR AND PEACE IS BETTER THAN ULYSSES BECAUSE TOLSTOY ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT HIS READERS AND THE FONT HAS A HIGHER RESOLUTION AND JOYCE FANS ARE JUST BUTTHURT ABOUT FINNEGAN'S WAKE.

This forum needs a thanks x 2 button. :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

nesf wrote: »

Typical Penguin Cla$$ic$ fanboys :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Typical Penguin Cla$$ic$ fanboys :rolleyes:

Quiet you DoubleDay Douchebag!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I dislike generalisations too, but I've unfortunately encountered enough gaming elitism that I'd feel confident saying it's a major issue

Tell the truth, you're talking about Retr0 aren't you, the smug git!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Tell the truth, you're talking about Retr0 aren't you, the smug git!

Wow what the hell did I do to deserve this. How dare you say I'm elitist. I'm not elitist I'm just an arsehole. Anyway everyone knows that you aren't real gamer unless you own a Neo Geo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wow what the hell did I do to deserve this. How dare you say I'm elitist. I'm not elitist I'm just an arsehole. Anyway everyone knows that you aren't real gamer unless you own a CDi .

Fixed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

I'm going to start calling myself a 'booker' when I'm reading.

You mean a reader? You just take whatever you're doing and put er on the end, and that's what you are. Unless you're cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Radiosonde wrote: »
    You mean a reader? You just take whatever you're doing and put er on the end, and that's what you are. Unless you're cooking.

So I'm a w*nker then?

Radiosonde wrote: »

Hmm. I was taking 'game' as a noun, not a verb, I'd never really say I'm going to 'game'. I'll play a game. So I'd be a fooder.

But cooker is funnier so now I don't know where I stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I played the first game that ever came out, "pong" :D and crystal castle on atari and so on... till the ps1 came out with resident evil 1, I really got seriously hooked on that. But then came along tomb-raider and I was hard-core hooked. I will say that I was a hardcore tomb-raider fan, but not any more because they changed it to a 3rd person shooter like all the other games, IE. the new tomb-raider game.

The day's and night's glued into figuring out the puzzles of tomb-raider games was great, but as time went by when I finished every single tomb-raider game, I got into modern warfare 1 & 2 but that didn't do it for me because of the gameplay... kill this, blow this up etc... it just didn't give me satisfaction so I left gaming for a while.

Half-life 1 & 2 were excellent and I felt back in the feel of virtual gaming as it was for me, but as time went on, I noticed the same repetitive gameplay in most games and took a long break. I did play "the swapper" a few months ago, good puzzle game, but the way things are going these days with better graphics and crap gameplay that you can finish in 2/3 hours just doesn't cut it.

I used to be a serious passionate pc & console gamer back in the day, but not any more. Hopefully I can rekindle the lust for gaming again soon. Who knows, but all these war-games as in FPS's are just the same old shoot this kill this and blow this up, a bit repetitive I will say at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

So much negativity for the label gamer, sure you get elitest but I have eperienced people who you could label alcoholics looking down on me for gaming.

I am proud in a way to be a gamer, games open up new worlds to is or if you live on a bog in the middle of no where help it not seem so isolating. I nearly prefer them as a means of story telling to tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I just feel it necessary to point out this thread is home to a surplus of win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I don't call myself a gamer as that would imply that I've got something in common with console owners.

*Cough*

On a more serious note, I play computer games. Perhaps I even have enough interest in the field to warrant a label similar to cinephile or bibliophile/bookworm (the actual terms for 'movier' and 'booker', respectively). But I have absolutely no stake in the 'gamer' subculture, particularly the more aggressive/hardcore elements of it. It's akin to how I can appreciate foreign language cinema without growing a 'tache and calling myself a hipster.

So no, I don't use the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

A lot of posters getting confused with the definition of a gamer and people looking down on others who play video games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

zenno wrote: »
    I played the first game that ever came out, "pong" :D

*puts on pedantic hat* Pong was no where near the first game ever made. It's more likely to be space war on a PDP-10 terminal (which was also released in arcade format before pong as well). There's also a case to be made for Tennis for Two which ran on an oscilloscope.*Takes off pedantic hat*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I am a gamer. I play games. I do not play casual games that require the input of a chimp.

My bro is not a gamer. He doesn't play games. He is a chimp.

Ergo, Chimps are not gamers.

:pac:

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I am a gamer. I play games. I do not play casual games that require the input of a chimp.

My bro is not a gamer. He doesn't play games. He is a chimp.

Ergo, Chimps are not gamers.

:pac:

There you go, proof of gamers and non gamers, it even has Latin in it!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    *puts on pedantic hat* Pong was no where near the first game ever made. It's more likely to be space war on a PDP-10 terminal (which was also released in arcade format before pong as well). There's also a case to be made for Tennis for Two which ran on an oscilloscope.*Takes off pedantic hat*

And with that, ladies and gentlemen, I give you a gamer!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And with that, ladies and gentlemen, I give you a gamer!

But he doesn't own a Neo Geo AES, so by his own admission he's not :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

aisha tyler calls herself a gamer...........

He may not be a gamer but he thinks he's a player, or is that playa?

• Advertisement

I've a MVS Neo Geo. Arcade all the way baby!

Advertisement