Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail bans e-cigarettes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    It good that they are banned, why should someone breath in fumes that has come out of the mouth of someone else.

Like carbon dioxide and water vapor Coming out of it already ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

P_1 wrote: »
    For the umpteenth time, smoking and vaping are two totally distinct things

Vaping banned on trains. Great ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

God the ignorance of some people about a simple piece of technology that allows you to exhale scented air is astounding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

VinLieger wrote: »
    God the ignorance of some people about a simple piece of technology that allows you to exhale scented air is astounding

It's infuriating that some people are so thick they can't tell the difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

P_1 wrote: »
    For the umpteenth time, smoking and vaping are two totally distinct things
    Yeah vaping that's what I meant... Maybe after there has been some solid scientific evidence that the exhaled vapor does not harm anyone then it should be allowed.

• Advertisement

DarkJager wrote: »
    It's infuriating that some people are so thick they can't tell the difference.

Yeah it's the same people sitting outside schools in their SUV's with the engines on waiting for their kid to come out. Not realising they are exposing other peoples children to dangerous fumes. That's apparently fine but scented air ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Some people don't want vapour exhaled in their faces thanks that smells of coffee or caramel thanks.

Doublelime wrote: »
    Yeah vaping that's what I meant... Maybe after there has been some solid scientific evidence that the exhaled vapor does not harm anyone then it should be allowed.

Some people will choose to ignore any data that goes against their agenda. I mean some people still believe pylons cause cancer.
    Red Crow wrote: »
    Some people don't want vapour exhaled in their faces thanks that smells of coffee or caramel thanks.

You know food makes your breath smell of what you have eaten as well... And who are these people going out of their way to blow vapor in peoples faces ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Red Crow wrote: »

Get over yourself, there's much worse scents you're exposed to on public transport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Gongoozler wrote: »
    ... Irish Rail have banned them from their train and DART services ....
    Excellent news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

I have never got a smell from vapour. Not sure where all these claims of smells come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Perfume is a chemical. We have all stood next to someone on public transport that seems to have thought it was a good idea to wear half a bottle. This is not banned.
    However, some of the ingredients in Perfume are being banned by the EU as a few people are allergic to them. IÉ don't seem to mind this though....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/13/lk-perfume-eu-idUSL5N0LI4BQ20140213

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The liquid in e-cigarettes contains dihydrogen monoxide and that's a fact, do you really want to run the risk of that being breathed in by your children.
    Ban them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Doublelime wrote: »

Ingredients found in exhaled vapour.

Nicotine - I think I've already explained how negligible an amount is exhaled.
    Flavouring - Passes the same standards that food flavourings does. You'd have as much to fear from somebody exhaling after taking a bite from a muffin.
    PG and VG - Commonly found in bottled water. Do you fear for your health after somebody exhales after taking a sip of Ballygowan?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭despot

They should be banned in public places. Speaking as someone who used one for some time, I only smoked it where I would've smoked cigarettes. As opinion shared by many people I met who used them. Mainly because I didn't want the hassle of "whats that what are you doing???" but also because before I got mine I saw people smoking them walking around shopping centres and such and just thought they looked like tossers.

If you're that desperate to smoke an e-cig that you need to do it walking around dunnes stores or in a cafe then you can stop fooling yourself that you gave up anything.

Edit; Before anyone tries to reply with DO YOU KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SMOKING AND VAPING yes, I do. I don't see why people want to do it where they wouldn't smoke a cigarette however. Especially ex smokers.

Senna wrote: »
    The liquid in e-cigarettes contains dihydrogen monoxide and that's a fact, do you really want to run the risk of that being breathed in by your children.
    Ban them now.

I see what you did there :P

You know who I hate. People who vape in cinemas. Dickheads

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You know who I hate. People who vape in cinemas. Dickheads

This is why the same laws as cigarettes need to be applied.

kippy wrote: »
    This is why the same laws as cigarettes need to be applied.

Why ? they are not cigarettes.

Why ? they are not cigarettes.

Because its as ignorant a habit as smoking.
    Ive seen people in lectures vaping. Idiots.

• Advertisement

Because its as ignorant a habit as smoking.
    Ive seen people in lectures vaping. Idiots.

One has been medically proven to be really bad for you.

The other with all current reports has zero to little if any affect on anyone breathing it in.

And who are they hurting ? or do you have information saying they have health implications ? And the habit part is a bit petty I don't do it so you cant either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

The other with all current reports has zero to little if any affect on anyone breathing it in.

And who are they hurting ? or do you have information saying they have health implications ? And the habit part is a bit petty i don't do it so you cant either.

The onus is on the vapers to prove otherwise.

And who are they hurting ? or do you have information saying they have health implications ?
    I have a problem with someone vaping an unknown (to me) substance. Thats one issue. Secondary issue is simple manners.

The cry of the "Think of the children" brigade how about the other way around ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I have a problem with someone vaping an unknown (to me) substance. Thats one issue. Secondary issue is simple manners.

Needlessly obtuse.

As disgusting as smoking?

Catch a clue before the train leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The individual components have been proven to be safe on countless occasions. Logic dictates that the sum of the parts should also prove to be safe and recent studies have indeed suggested that they are safe to use.

What more do you want?

By that logic you don't eat out as you don't know exactly what is in the meal you are being served.

Needlessly obtuse.

As disgusting as smoking?

Catch a clue before the train leaves.

Are you trying to put words in my mouth.....thats not at all what I said.

By that logic you don't eat out as you don't know exactly what is in the meal you are being served.
    Its not at all the same logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

The cry of the "Think of the children" brigade how about the other way around ?

When you structure your sentence in a grammatically correct fashion then I may be able to answer what I assume is a question. It makes no sense to me currently.

Advertisement