Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail bans e-cigarettes

• 11-03-2014 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Ive seen a page on the journal asking whether or not e-cigarettes should be banned in the workplace, according to the poll results (currently 51%) the majority are against this.

Irish Rail have banned them from their train and DART services because of people complaining of the smell.

What do you think AH? My first reaction is to say well that's ridiculous, they barely smell of anything, but there's literally thousands of flavours you can get for these things that aren't cigarette smoke.

Plus there's an awful lot of things on public transport that are more offensive, smell wise.

Phone / boards touch won't let me insert the url, sorry.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Its banned where I work. And im for it to be honest. It should be something one does during their break as its a leisurely activity. But when they started getting popular here, people just used'em all the time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-e-cigarettes-1355583-Mar2014/

That heroin ban they have on the DART is working out well for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

The smell from the toilets on the Dublin - Limerick train. Oh Jesus it would make your eyes burn. Turnip poo, thats how I'd describe it.

Dunno what all the fuss is about regarding ecigs being used in public enclosed places, if someone would like to inform me please do! Does the smoke from them actually smell?

gg2 wrote: »
    The smell from the toilets on the Dublin - Limerick train. Oh Jesus it would make your eyes burn. Turnip poo, thats how I'd describe it.

Dunno what all the fuss is about regarding ecigs being used in public enclosed places, if someone would like to inform me please do! Does the smoke from them actually smell?

It ain't smoke, it's vapour.

And no. There is barely any perceptible smell from them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

So are they technically banning breathing on trains?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Considering the price they charge for a ticket I'd expect to be able to snort coke off a hookers ass while listening to death metal, and get away with it.

Some health and safety drone from Irish Rail is probably looking to make a name for himself by coming up with this idea. A real clipboard merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

It ain't smoke, it's water vapour.
    Negative. It's propylene glycol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

My problem with how this is being reported is that all articles that I read on it state: There is no evidence that the devices cause any harm to anybody standing close to them

But there is also no evidence that they don't cause harm.

For years there was no evidence that smoking normal cigarettes caused any harm, if anything they were advertised as being good for your health.

Also just because they may no contain all the tar and other potentially harmful parts of cigarette smoke doesn't meant I want to be inhaling your nicotene from them.

I have also read that certain liquids contain various other components that are carcinogenic.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions or decisions yet but there definitely does need to be some research into these and possibly legislation regarding them also

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

If they're going to start banning things that smell could they not start with stinky sandwiches? Or people who seem to have a casual approach to personal hygiene?

Sky King wrote: »
    Negative. It's propylene glycol.

A mixture- will edit post to use the politically acceptable term of "vapour" but perhaps will spell it vapor in a passive aggressive manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Considering the price they charge for a ticket I'd expect to be able to snort coke off a hookers ass while listening to death metal, and get away with it.

Some health and safety drone from Irish Rail is probably looking to make a name for himself by coming up with this idea. A real clipboard merchant.

That's exactly the sort of post ye want to read in the morning over a cuppa tea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

My mates workplace has banned them, so all the people who use them (people trying to give up smoking) are forced to go out to the smoking hut with all the smokers!
    Talk about temptation!
    I bet the cig companies are loving hearing about the bans for the e-cigs come into place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Also just because they may no contain all the tar and other potentially harmful parts of cigarette smoke doesn't meant I want to be inhaling your nicotene from them.

Some of them contain nicotine, some don't. Can you tell the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

They smell?

So do curry chips, smoked herrings, rank smelly people.

What will they ban Next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I'm an ecig vendor, and loads of my customers are giving out over this.

I think it's very silly to ban them. However, I wouldn't have smoked a cigarette on trains, so not using my electronic one a train doesn't bother me, personally.

However, if it's purely down to the smell, maybe they should stop people drinking or eating, and enforce a pesonal hygiene check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I have also read that certain liquids contain various other components that are carcinogenic.

Such as?

Be careful of the scaremongering from the pharmaceutical companies.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

How will we know who the futuristic robot assassins are without the blue glow of their science cigarette?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

It ain't smoke, it's vapour.

And no. There is barely any perceptible smell from them at all.

Not entirely true, some juice are very pungent, you could have the same flavour from two different companies, one might appear practically odourless, yet the other could be really pungent, it depends on the level of flavouring and what flavours are used.

If you walked in the room where I'm sitting now, you'd probably think I was baking some caramel cake. :)

Let's be honest though, none of them smell as bad as someone eating a packet of cheese and onion crisps, shudder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Such as?

Shouldn't be too hard to find out what is actually in them... I'll search when I've the time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If we formulated policy on lack of negative proof, a whole lotta things would be banned from trains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

They smell?

So do curry chips, smoked herrings, rank smelly people.

What will they ban Next?

curry chips, smoked herrings, rank smelly people hopefully

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

whiskeyman wrote: »
    My mates workplace has banned them, so all the people who use them (people trying to give up smoking) are forced to go out to the smoking hut with all the smokers!
    Talk about temptation!
    I bet the cig companies are loving hearing about the bans for the e-cigs come into place.
    The ones that have any sense have already invested in various glowing vapour kazoo technologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

personally think irish rail tickets are dirt cheap. you should check out the prices of trains in the uk, central europe, japan etc....

Samba wrote: »
    If you walked in the room where I'm sitting now, you'd probably think I was baking some caramel cake .

I'm curious, what are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Such as?

Well thats it I'm not sure and I don't believe everything I read, there is a lot of money at stake here so there will most likely be promotional material from both sides of the argument which needs to be verified. As I said I do think there needs to be research and possibly legislation, I'm not calling for blanket bans but surely no one can disagree with them being looked into
    Gongoozler wrote:
    Some of them contain nicotine, some don't. Can you tell the difference?

Nope, still doesn't mean I want to inhale whatever it is your smoking, I'm not sure if there are any yet but if not I'm sure someone is working on getting other drugs, such as certain components of particular hemp plants, into them.
    Do these stay in the vapour and can they be inhaled by me? I don't know but this needs to be looked into.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Shouldn't be too hard to find out what is actually in them... I'll search when I've the time.

Propelyne Glycol, vegetable glycerine, nicotine and flavouring.

PG is the base most liquid drugs come in. VG can be bought off the shelf and people put it on baby's gums when they're teething.

Nicotine is as harmful as caffeine.

The flavours are usually food grade ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

However, if it's purely down to the smell, maybe they should stop people drinking or eating, and enforce a pesonal hygiene check.

QFT I'd sooner breathe second hand vapour than someone's stinking Supermacs all the way down from Heuston

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

From a management point of view, I'd imagine these things are tough to call.

Most e-cigs I've come across, have little or no smells, as someone else said it's like steam from a kettle or something.
    But I away in November and sat close to someone with an e-cig and it was very potent. What happens when you get 20 or 30 people vaping away with all kinds of scents in enclosed space. Might not be entirely comfortable.

Also, Irish rail might feel it will be difficult to police "real" smokers if, say you have a situation where there's a number of people vaping away with devices that look like a cigarette from a distance and a cloud of smoke/vape. Could cause some awkward and difficult situations arising for Irish Rail staff

Agreed on the often foul smelling food. Is food and drink technically not allowed either? It isn't on Dublin Bus as far as I know, though it is not enforced usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I'm for the ban - puffing on those things is akin t scratching your balls in public - not for general consumption. Take it outside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

My problem with how this is being reported is that all articles that I read on it state: There is no evidence that the devices cause any harm to anybody standing close to them

I have to ask, are you Kathleen O'Meara!? :)

The evidence, which you say doesn't exist -

http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.ie/2014/01/new-study-of-passive-vaping-shows.html

For years there was no evidence that smoking normal cigarettes caused any harm, if anything they were advertised as being good for your health.

It's a little more difficult to hoodwink the entire international scientific community nowadays.

Nicotine absorption rates for the user are significantly lower than when smoking, what do you think they are for passive vapour?

You've made a lot of claims that you read x, y and z, care to actually back them up with something, other than your ill-informed opinion?

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions or decisions yet but there definitely does need to be some research into these and possibly legislation regarding them also

That sounds just like something Kathleen O'Meara would sya. While I agree more studies need to be done and regulation is required, not what's currently on the table from the EU.
    I'm curious, what are you using?

Highbrow caramel cake, it's yummy. :)

Advertisement