Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything EDM!

Options
  • 20-02-2014 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I searched around looking for a proper EDM (Electronic Dance Music) thread but couldn't seem to find one so i decided to start this thread.
    As in the title i would like have anything about EDM posted here.
    From Producer/DJ's such as Hardwell, Avicii, W&W, Blastejaxx, Showtek, Dimitri Vegas and Like Mike etc... (There are so many)
    To new releases on beatport, Spotify and Itunes. To new unreleased "ID" tracks.
    To the different genres of EDM such as Progressive House, Electro House etc...
    To Festivals such as Tomorrowland , UMF, EDC etc...
    And also if any EDM artists are coming to perform here in Ireland.
    anything at all relevant to EDM is welcomed :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Surely all of the music posted in this forum is electronic dance music? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Anima wrote: »
    Surely all of the music posted in this forum is electronic dance music? :)

I have looked through the forum and could not find anything that was specifically linked to what I have said above so this what this thread is for. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

all the producers you mentioned are more or less hated here, dont think the thread will take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

copeyhagen wrote: »
    all the producers you mentioned are more or less hated here

As is the term EDM.

line up of Creamfields announced today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

That is shockingly bad !

With a few exceptions on the 'All Gone Pete Tong' stage it's a whole lot of EDM Time-Wasters....

sasha and hot since 82 i would like to see. i presume this is creamfields engerland?!

oh, and IDM > EDM :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

sasha and hot since 82 i would like to see. i presume this is creamfields engerland?!

Don't forget EBM

• Site Banned Posts: 11 M03 r numb3R5

The one term I despise more than EDM...

so why do people have a hate for EDM? i'm curious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭francois

so why do people have a hate for EDM? i'm curious

If you love and know electronic music, it's history, the various producers, genres etc, EDM is a complete bastardization of something you love, it appeals to the lowest common denominator, it is the x factor of electronic music.

If you have ever spent a night in a field or a dark basement listening to someone like Robert Hood or Sasha or doc Scott and listen to the way they take you on a musical journey and compare it to a show by the likes of Guetta, where the lights are more important than the tracks -tracks which all follow the same pattern, no variation, no originality, no innovation, no soul no funk
    Thats why I hate it

francois wrote: »
    If you love and know electronic music, it's history, the various producers, genres etc, EDM is a complete bastardization of something you love, it appeals to the lowest common denominator, it is the x factor of electronic music.

If you have ever spent a night in a field or a dark basement listening to someone like Robert Hood or Sasha or doc Scott and listen to the way they take you on a musical journey and compare it to a show by the likes of Guetta, where the lights are more important than the tracks -tracks which all follow the same pattern, no variation, no originality, no innovation, no soul no funk
    Thats why I hate it

Amen.

Perhaps EDM appeals to a middle-American audience traditionally resistant to dance music because it seems to have taken a genre born out of a largely black, largely gay club scene and ruthlessly expunged any lasting sonic evidence of its birthplace. You can hear EDM's style roots in the big stars of 90s electronica, their respective sounds adjusted to cut them adrift from the music that inspired them. It's the Chemical Brothers without their love for hip-hop and Detroit techno; Daft Punk without their deep understanding of Chicago house; the Prodigy without their roots in breakbeat hardcore. What's left is bizarrely unfunky, unambiguous, unsexy and unreconstructedly macho: EDM is a noisy euphoria that makes you think not of the communal transcendence of the dancefloor, but a bloke from sales with his tie wrapped round his head, waving a can of Coors Light in the air and roaring. It's house music that Frankie Knuckles wouldn't understand, but Finchy from The Office would get straight away

This ^^^^^ This is why I hate EDM and everything it stands for !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

The thing that annoys me most about it is the idea that it's some sort of new style. Of course a lot of dance music takes inspiration from previous producers and artsts but to me EDM or 'Big Room House' is just modern reworks of Cosmic Gate's 2001 album Rhythm and Drums. Heavy synth lead lines and percussive melodies (Wicked, The Drums, FireWire)

I'm not really talking about "big room house", and to be honest i am not a big fan of it as a lot of what is produced is repetitive. EDM is categorized in to numerous genres. Progressive House i believe is the most beautiful type of music available out there. I can just put on my headphones, lie down, close my eyes and forget about everything! I'll leave you with a few examples below, have a listen :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLG0rV-ZUIE -Mat Zo & Porter Robinson - Easy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGYaxYaxD_M -Alesso - Years ft. Matthew Koma
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWe19KS-i-c -Alesso & Dirty South - City Of Dreams
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q66v9kv1F24 -Otto Knows - Million Voices
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-3Lr2_lDMo - Avicii - All You Need Is Love

I'm sorry, but you're not making the compelling argument you think you are.
    I clicked all of the links you posted thinking maybe your idea of what "EDM" is might differ from mine. It didn't. It all sounds like the type of stuff that american kids listen to at marketing festivals while they're dressed in sweets and furry boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Progressive House i believe is the most beautiful type of music available out there. I can just put on my headphones, lie down, close my eyes and forget about everything! I'll leave you with a few examples below, have a listen :)

This is someting else I couldn't believe when I heard it, that stuff like the tracks you've posted are classified as 'progressive house'. WTF happened to John Digweed, Sasha, Nick Warren and Satoshi Tomiie?

It must be an educational thing; Progressive =

Marcelo Vasami

Jody Wisternoff

John Digweed

Lemon 8

To name but a few....

i think this guy is trolling.

avicii.. progressive house... theres no way hes that diluded

American Kids? EDM is mainly all european . Those DJ's you have mentioned would not have come across my generation (15-20 year olds)
    and they are getting old so i believe EDM is the future. As for the genre, people can argue over what dj is what genre so i believe it is your own opinion. And no i am not trolling
    So if you are not interested in EDM Please Leave this thread as the title is "Everything EDM". Thank You!

• Advertisement

but EDM is electronic dance music, which icovers every genre, so your point is invalid.

Those DJ's you have mentioned would not have come across my generation (15-20 year olds) and they are getting old so i believe EDM is the future.

After this statement I kinda gave up.....

Yes but i stated at in the first post what exactly i would like to talk about!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Yes but i stated at in the first post what exactly i would like to talk about!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you'll find, you get what you need :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

old gregg wrote: »
    You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you'll find, you get what you need :)

That sounds like something a poncey old person would say. As a young person I get everything I want right now like quality DJs like David Guetta and Avicii by watching youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

That sounds like something a poncey old person would say. As a young person I get everything I want right now like quality DJs like David Guetta and Avicii by watching youtube.

In truth my knowledge of electric dancing music is limited. I normally listen to The Eagles but did go on youtube once and typed in 'dancing music with a bounce'. The result was DJ Beauty. By golly I like that very much, a fine filly too.

As a young person I get everything I want right now like quality DJs like David Guetta and Avicii by watching youtube.
    Not all young people are into David Guetta and i for one am definetly not, I hate his music. And as for avicii i love his old stuff but wasnt a huge fan of his last album.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Not all young people are into David Guetta and i for one am definetly not, I hate his music. And as for avicii i love his old stuff but wasnt a huge fan of his last album.

Considering Guetta marketed Afrojack, and Tiesto marketed Hardwell. Its pretty universally accepted that Avicii's music was produced / written by his manager (Ash) and he had to be thought to DJ.

So what does all that have in common? Older, wiser commercial DJs promoting younger DJs (From whom they will be taking a slice) with the sole intention of making money. If I had €10+ million, I'd be pumping it into the US EDM market right now. Your return would be massive. Even look at Tiesto, trance for 20+ years. And then, around 2009, you had Kaleidoscope which was further refined to the 'Club Life' brand. Why? Purely for the commercial aspect. Have you ever heard of Armin Van Buuren? Probably not. He's never been on the Irish Top 40. Himself and Tiesto we're pretty much head to head at one stage in the trance scene. Tiesto just wanted more money. Yet both are branded 'EDM' now.

'EDM' is just a phrase made up by the marketing people who promote the likes of Tomorrowland / Ultra for the 'PLUR' generation. Its purely about the money. Nothing else. EDM is what rap / hip hop was in the early 2000s. It will all come around again in 10 years.

Listen to what you like, but some day, stick on some decent headphones and listen to the past 2 years of 'EDM' mainstream tracks. Its all the exact same. Even some of the chords and drops are the same. Contrast that to if you went digging in Bearport and you might actually learn something about music. Listen to an Eric Prydz mix, thats talent in my opinion.

• Site Banned Posts: 1 T1M3 of ur L1F3

i'd nearly be sure this was a top 20 hit back in '99/2000

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Yeah, I prefer Avicii's earlier stuff as well. I think I'm bit of a hipster like that.

Advertisement