Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Was not aware of this, would sunglasses work? Or goggles (or do the goggles do nothing :pac:)
    You would probably get sunbed type goggles with the unit you are looking at, have a link to the amazon page?

I got sunbed goggles on ebay, they are just like extra dark sunglasses, but look more like swimming goggles.

I would read up more about it on the face though, I think some did not recommend it for some other reasons, though I might be mixing it up with steroid creams.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Well yes steroid creams are actually not recommended on the face, they are prescribed for extremely targetted use and not meant to be used on the face for any long period of time.

I've ordered this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dermfix-1000MX-Psoriasis-Vitiligo-Eczema/dp/B001JR7CPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390386547&sr=8-1&keywords=uvb+lamp+psoriasis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Was not aware of this, would sunglasses work? Or goggles (or do the goggles do nothing :pac:)

When I had UV treatment in St Vincents, I had to wear googles. I dont know what type they were.
    After about a week, they decided my face had had enough exposure and then I was given a massive helmet type face mask to wear. It was like the things that bomb disposal guys wear.

I was also told to put sum block on my hands. The backs of your hands get the high light exposure over the course of your life and are high risk for skin cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

So you're face was targetted and then after a week it was stopped, targetting other areas?

There seems to be goggles with the one I ordered, although I should have cast my eye over the comments better, some of the positive ones look suspect.

Also, it is possible that I have had dermititis all along. Apparently psoriasis on the face is actually very uncommon. :/

Too much information!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

So you're face was targetted and then after a week it was stopped, targetting other areas?

In the hospital UV machine, you are standing naked in an enclosed room surrounded by UV lamps. EVERYTHING is targetted.

I had a small patch of psoriasis on my forehead but after a week, they did not want to expose my face anymore.

• Advertisement

the light is fine but it could possibly be got cheaper if you want to bother. Might be too late to cancel

The amazon seller is the same androv company mentioned before

http://www.androv-medical.com/product/27/dermfix-1000mx-uv-b-lamp-for-psoriasis--vitiligo-or-eczema/3b537f3c2f5e6d0071edfc23a18130d6

It seems you can buy a VAT free version in the UK, the site parcel motel gives you a northern ireland address, then they deliver down here and you pick it up from a locker near you. So you could have possibly have gotten that. Parcel motel would cost about €3.50

Also, it is possible that I have had dermititis all along. Apparently psoriasis on the face is actually very uncommon.
    I have dermatitis on my feet and the UVB works well on it. And on eczema on my hands.
    http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/eczema/phototherapy-for-atopic-dermatitis

the light is also used for vitilgo, the condition michael jackson claimed to have which turned him white.

I never heard the warning about the hands before, I am going to start wearing gloves now. I get light on my hands since I hold back my ears to get the light on my scalp better, I didn't mind the exposure as I get eczema on my hands the odd time. If it comes back I can take the gloves off again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Just a question for all the ppl using UVB lamps, how bad is your psoriasis? How much of your body does it cover?

deadeye187 wrote: »
    Just a question for all the ppl using UVB lamps, how bad is your psoriasis?
    Have it on my scalp and 3 other small spots on arm, chest & leg, 2 of those spots are 1" diameter, the other is 1/2" diameter.

I have only seen people with the small handhelds here, which would all be using the small 9W bulb. Anybody with large coverage would go for the bigger sun bed types, or the panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Long time reader... 1st time poster to this thread.

I have psoriasis since I was about 11/12. I get it really bad on my elbows, knees, calfs, shins, wrists, ears and nose. :(

In 2006 I went for the lamp treatment in St.Vincents hospital for about 4 months and I was 100% clear after. 3 weeks later it was all back with a bang.

I normamly use Dermovate Cream to clear my Psoriasis. I'd apply it at night, wrap cling-film around it and leave it til morning. I'd do this for about a 4 week period and get about a 2 week period of clear skin before it all comes back.

In October, I went for the lamp treatment again, this time in Tallaght Hospital, and on Xmas eve I was about 95% clear and treatment stopped.

Today it's all back with a bang. :(

I'll be going back to the Dermovate tomorrow, but I know for a fact, that it'll clear for a fortnight before I'm back to this point again.

Btw I would moisterise after every shower with either Diprobase or Aqueous cream. And most of the time that keeps that scales away...

But my fear is this; I havent been able to wear a pair shorts in the summer time for about 4-5 years now. I would give anything to be able to wear them this summer flake/scale free. Or better yet, join a gym and go swimming. These are things I've wanted to do for years but always avoid because of my poxy skin.

Which is why I'm writing tonight; has anyone got any tips or any advice that can make this happen for me this summer???

It'd be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Seán

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Hi Sean like you I have it on all the same areas but my back is quite bad at the moment. Now what I finds works great for me is:

2 times a day I put Paraffin Gel on

1 time I put my Dovobet on.

This works a treat for me, but this wont work for everyone. Again like you I did not go swimming for months because of my skin, but a doctor said for me to try this and I did. After about 4/5 weeks my skin was clear. I keep the Paraffin Gel everyday and I now only use the Dovobet only when I have too. Saying this if I have a drink nothing will help with holding it back. Again ask your Doctor for any advise first and good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭wonga77

Hi sean, id be similar enough to you, I have often got rid of it only for it to come back with a bang too. Ive finally realised that it needs to be treated constantly for it to stay away, a nuisance I know but its just the way it is.(for me anyway)
    Have you ever tried varying your diet at any stage? It seems to work for alot of the other posters here. Even if you could pinpoint one food that aggravates it, that would be a good start

I normamly use Dermovate Cream to clear my Psoriasis.
    Dermovate is considered to be a very powerful steroid. I have seen on many forums people saying they will not touch any steroids with a bargepole as it often comes back worse afterwards.

I had contact dermatitis as a kid on my feet and eventually got dermovate, the feet were better literally overnight, from being red raw oozing sores to just red, then the redness slowly went away.

In recent years it has come back, which I thought it might as I had psoriasis & eczema. I use the UVB on my feet and it sorts them alright.

I'd apply it at night, wrap cling-film around it and leave it til morning.
    I am using these armband type things on my arm & leg, like sweat bands, you can apply cream and then a plastic film on top and the armband on top of it to hold it on all day and they don't budge.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Thanks for the replies people.

The diet thing is something I never considered. I get the whole smoking and drinking thing of the doc, but sure them things get the blame for everything these days. No matter what you go to see them for.

Oh and I don't smoke, but would drink a good bit on a weekly basis.

Where would I get a food test thing that would tell me what agrees with me or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Thanks for the replies people.

The diet thing is something I never considered. I get the whole smoking and drinking thing of the doc, but sure them things get the blame for everything these days. No matter what you go to see them for.

Oh and I don't smoke, but would drink a good bit on a weekly basis.

Where would I get a food test thing that would tell me what agrees with me or not?
    If you have never tried giving up the drink for a while I would recommend you do. It's the only thing that I can say with 100% certainty does affect it for me and for a long time afterwards.

I was a very heavy drinker myself, now I've limited myself to occasional Summer drinking, I can get away with it once I'm getting a lot of sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

In Aldi on the 30th of January there are some offer that might help some people around here

Aqueous Cream
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-30th-january/products-detail-page/ps/p/aqueous-cream/

Pure Petroleum Jelly
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-30th-january/products-detail-page/ps/p/pure-petroleum-jelly/

Nappy Barrier Cream
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-30th-january/products-detail-page/ps/p/nappy-barrier-cream/

I have used the Nappy Barrier Cream and I've found it really good for instances where the Psoriasis might be come inflamed.

Tesco also have various E45 creams on offer, there is a "intense recovery" cream I have not seen before

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=e45

I have never used E45 before

There is also a tesco aqueous cream, 500g for 2.99
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=266892117

Also for anybody trying to give up tomatoes I found that tesco finest brown sauce has no tomatoes in it, all the other brown sauces I saw do. It does have chilli pepper in it but its way down the list of ingredients, so very little in it. Its nice stuff too, it is a little lumpy if that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rimana

Hi everyone! I have vulgaris but this summer I got guttate after bad throught infection or/and after using strong antibiotics or/and sun burned. Did someone have similar experience? Before that it was finally getting better without using corticosteroids, after years, only oils and vitamins. I have it for 19 years. After this summer I had spotts all over my body. Horrible! Now I'm using cortics again (its better but I'm afraid of boomerang effect) and some essential oils. Did anyone helped homeopathy? I just came to Ireland and I don't have health insurance. Which one would you recommend? How much would I pay here to visit dermatologist? I'm scared that after using cortics it will come back even worse, thats why I'm trying to minimize the damage with essential oils. Garlic oil helped me a lot, but I live in hostel now and I can't try it again. It stinks like hell. But its good. Its easy to make - just 1/3 chopped garlick and put it in 2/3 cold pressed oil (I used St. John's wort oil, or olive oil, sesame or almond - but cold press). Store it in cold place and after 10-15 days I used it every night. I also drank some teas and took Omega-3, vitamins and minerals... Anyway, if anybody knows something that would help, please tell... Thanks.

rimana wrote: »
    took Omega-3, vitamins and minerals.
    I have been eating tins of atlantic mackerel. I was after the omega 3 but then also saw it was very high in vitamin D too, a tin can be around 100% of your RDA depending on which RDA you look at.

I am off the tomatoes & potatoes just over 2 weeks now and have seen a very noticeable difference, only started eating mackerel in that time too. Have had just maybe 10 fat chipper chips over that time and a tiny bit of ketchup mixed into some other sauce. Still drinking a lot of alcohol too. Eating sweet potatoes instead of regular ones, they are not just simply as a substitute -they are supposedly very good for skin conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I haven't had any nightshades, coffee, dairy, white potatoes or nuts since January 1st and my elbows are completely clear.

I eat lots of sweet potatoes and just bought tins of mackerel (and sardines) today myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 rimana

I didn't know about potatoes! I'll try not to eat them from today. I thought that we shouldnt eat any canned food, I only eat fresh fish, but not too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

I agree with alcohol!! HAd been drinking heavy over weekend and my skin is dry, flaky and itchy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I couldn't give up potatoes!

rimana wrote: »
    I thought that we shouldnt eat any canned food
    I haven't heard anything against tinned fish, besides mercury issues which would be fresh fish too. The mackerel tinned here is high in omega and vitamin D and low in mercury. I am getting it with extra virgin olive oil in tesco now and just mixing in the olive oil too, it was also in the Pagano book as being beneficial.
    ryanf1 wrote: »
    I couldn't give up potatoes!
    I thought the same, I am eating sweet potatoes instead, and also losing weight since I am off chipper chips and just staying out of takeaways in general as I used to always get chips in nearly all of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

anyone can recommend some good shampoo+ cream(not steroid) -(my wife have one path on my head). anyone tried exorex shampoo or lotion?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

devil-80 wrote: »
    anyone can recommend some good shampoo+ cream(not steroid) -(my wife have one path on my head). anyone tried exorex shampoo or lotion?

Neutrogena t gel

I have some of this seaweed powder I am going to try.
    http://www.aalgo.com/

Still off the potatoes & tomatoes and one of my patches is totally gone now, you would not see any difference at all. This patch was the most recent one to form but otherwise it was not mild by any means. The next most recent one to form is the next most improved by far too. The old ones seem to get a foothold, some days it looks on the verge of disappearing but then will come back bad -this is usually only after boozing.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Neutrogena t gel
    she tried that already not much improve any cream beside it?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

devil-80 wrote: »
    she tried that already not much improve any cream beside it?

I use dovobet, there's a cream and a gel but I'm sure there are others

• Advertisement

I use dovobet, there's a cream and a gel but I'm sure there are others

Dovobet is a powerful steroid cream which he had already ruled out.

Many wouldn't touch steroids because of this
    http://www.medicines.ie/medicine/5495/SPC/Dovobet+Ointment/
    Discontinuation of treatment
    When treating psoriasis with topical corticosteroids there may be a risk of generalised pustular psoriasis or of rebound effects when discontinuing treatment. Medical supervision should therefore continue in the post-treatment period.

Also some people with it on their scalp could have it partially on their face
    Local adverse reactions
    Skin of the face and genitals are very sensitive to corticosteroids. The medicinal product should not be used in these areas. The patient must be instructed in correct use of the medicinal product to avoid application and accidental transfer to the face, mouth and eyes. Hands must be washed after each application to avoid accidental transfer to these areas.

The cynic in me still believes some unscrupulous dermatologists will have no bother prescribing steroids as it can mean a customer for life, who has to get prescriptions and suffer rebounds. esp. when I read about one dermatologist who allegedly claimed not to have heard of UVB treatment.

Dovonex is the similar sounding cream with no steroids.

Advertisement