Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

wonga77 wrote: »
    Where did u get it, how did you use it?

I'd be interested as well. From what Google tells me is there are supplements and cream. Seems to help with joint pain and anti ageing.

EDIT: The supplements are available on amazon, a lot of good reviews saying that their joint problems have improved and, almost as a side effect, their skin and hair is much better.

Definitely worth a shot it seems. Gonna nip into holland and Barrett tomorrow to see if they know anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EG5STPS/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

I've bought a couple of different versions but this one is what I've been using.

Only need a small bit and doesn't have to be rubbed in, I just dip a finger in a bit and spread it lightly on problem areas.

Skin goes a tiny bit red and might feel a tiny bit tight in a couple hours it will be looking great. I haven't tried moisturising as well, but give it a chance!

I've ordered supplements as well but they haven't arrived. Don't think I'll need them but we'll see how they go too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Back with my GP today. He was happy enough with me. Im not as good as 3 months ago but things contributed to that.
    He changed the Protopic to 0.03% which I have doubts about but im willing to give it a go. So just have to keep going as I am for another 3 months.

Right, day 5 of using, ive increased to a minute at a time per area, its enough at the moment, just enough for me to feel a little tingle afterwards. I wouldnt say theres a huge improvement but the p has thinned out ever so slightly. Obviously its early days but im happy enough with how its going so far. Should be interesting to see what the next 10 days bring.

Do keep us updated, very interested as I'll possibly get one if you get decent results! (The hyaluronic acid isn't having quite the same effect as at first for some reason, but still miles better than any other topical I've used. In fairness its only a week now and its been years of red raw ruined skin in a single area on my face so it may be underlying redness that is still present. At least it feels so much better.

• Advertisement

Protopic works a treat for me. My face is the best it has been for years but for the last few months I've been using a higher dose, will keep you posted though!
    Have you gotten control of the dermatitis on your face?

Yes it worked well for me too, I would still use it again if things got very bad possibly. It didn't deal with the underlying redness however.

Yes it worked well for me too, I would still use it again if things got very bad possibly. It didn't deal with the underlying redness however.
    It wont really do that. It reduces the bumpy patches and the flaking. I can live with the redness much easier than the lumpy patches

Right, I've gone and ordered this and this

The reviews on the Solgar Hyaluronic Acid are very reassuring. I'm going to do a personal photo log as well to see if there is any noticeable improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭wonga77

Day 7 of the lamp, early days I know but no major or dramatic changes. Dont want to overdo it but gradually increasing the time. I have p in my scalp too and i find it too hard to use the lamp I got for it. Slow and steady wins the race they say. Pity im so impatient...

• Advertisement

Well think about it in terms of time in the sun maybe? I'd expect a noticeable difference after a month I'd say depending on severity of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mayobumblebee

well i was going so good and now my back is covered from about midback all the way up to just below neck and all my chest is also covered. they are small and not to scaly yet. i have not used anything other than eucerin in years but thats not touching this my scalp is also very bad now at the moment im snowing which can be a bit embarrising. i have very sensitive skin anyone have any thing i can try which is mild or at least not so harsh ah i have very reactive skin.

i dont want to go to doctor just yet at its not that bad

try apple cider vinegar or lemon on the scalp, leave on for 30 mins and rinse off with just water. mixed with water I might add!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

If anybody has never given Sudocrem a go just try it. It never even crossed my mind to bother with it before but it has been working for me as well as Dovobet or anything like that.
    For the price it's worth trying anyway.

well i was going so good and now my back is covered from about midback all the way up to just below neck and all my chest is also covered. they are small and not to scaly yet. i have not used anything other than eucerin in years but thats not touching this my scalp is also very bad now at the moment im snowing which can be a bit embarrising. i have very sensitive skin anyone have any thing i can try which is mild or at least not so harsh ah i have very reactive skin.

i dont want to go to doctor just yet at its not that bad

In my experience , it's best to hit a flare up ASAP . You want to stop it from getting to that stage as much as you can. So even though it's not that bad at the minute, I would suggest you go to doctor sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Participants needed for psoriasis study

[Posted: Fri 10/01/2014 by Deborah Condon www.irishhealth.com]

People with the skin condition, psoriasis, are being asked to take part in a new study, which aims to investigate the effects of a psychological intervention known as mindfulness.

Psoriasis is a chronic, inflammatory skin condition that affects around 2% of the Irish population - some 100,000 people. It appears as pink or red raised patches on the skin. These patches, which are known as plaques, have a well-defined edge around them. They also have a scaly surface and can be large or small.

Mindfulness aims to develop our awareness of the present moment through the practice of a form of meditation. It has been found to be effective in improving mental health, for example, by reducing the symptoms of depression, anxiety and stress. It has also been found to improve health-related quality of life.

The study is being carried out by the department of dermatology at St Vincent's University Hospital in Dublin. It follows on from a smaller scale study there, which indicated that certain psychological and immunological factors changed a lot over time among patients with psoriasis who completed an eight-week mindfulness intervention.

"The negative impact of psychological distress on immune function is well documented and there is a well-established link between psychological stress and both the onset and severity of psoriasis," explained the study's principal investigator, clinical psychologist, Dr Paul D'Alton.

He said that this latest study would build on the previous study by including a much larger group of people with psoriasis. This will help to ‘identify in greater detail the psychological mechanisms that impact on the severity of this skin condition'.

People over the age of 18 with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis are invited to take part. Participants will be randomly assigned to one of four intervention groups:
    -Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy
    -Mindfulness-based self-compassion therapy
    -Audio guided mindfulness-based self-compassion therapy
    -Treatment as usual.

Those in the first two groups will be asked to attend a group-delivered mindfulness intervention over the course of eight weeks between February and April in St Vincent's. Sessions will be weekly and will last for two hours.

Those in the audio group will practise mindfulness meditation at home every week with the aid of a meditation CD.

Those in the final group will simply continue with their current treatment, however they will be given the chance to take part in the mindfulness intervention next year.

All participants will be asked to complete psychological questionnaires and provide blood samples on four different occasions. Those taking part can continue taking their psoriasis medication as normal.

Anyone interested in taking part should contact assistant psychologist, Orla Walsh, on (01) 221 3318 or or.walsh@svuh.ie

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=23097

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

My friend had Psoriasis and giving up wheat helped in a big way

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was skimming thought he Pagano diet book again. Has anybody got good links to sites discussing it, especially questioning why certain things are ruled out?

Some of the "banned foods/drinks" just seem like educated guesses to me, and I cannot see no scientific reasons given for some of them (or maybe I missed it). Or he is just tagging on general diet recommendations which were given to the general population. Like many people needlessly stay off alcohol on antibiotics just because they ask their doctor if they can drink, and the doctor says no, or just 1-2pints, but the doctor would say that if the patient was in perfect health too! -nothing to do with an allergic reaction to the medicine.

e.g. fried foods -I am guessing this might be to avoid chemicals produced at high temperatures, e.g. acrylamide. This might not be produced if fried at a lower heat, or in much smaller quantities.

Saturated fat & animal fat- he rules this out but I am guessing he might have just been jumping on the anti-sat-fat bandwagon which was big back then. He does recommend coconut oil -very high in sat fat.

"hard liquor" & beer -I think he is says hard liquor (whiskey, vodka, gin etc) is worse than beer. This makes no sense to me since whiskey is basically distilled beer, so nothing new is added. It would make more sense to me to be the other way around, having purified "beer" which removes potential allergens and leaving behind only the pure alcohol. He gives no real reason apart from being gut irritants, in which case he might be presuming all spirit drinkers are taking it at high % levels. I would have thought vodka diluted to 4.3% would be better than beer at 4.3%. Maybe he is just presuming spirit drinkers are binge drinking while beer drinkers might have 1 or 2.

If the logic behind the bans was explained then better alternatives might be found, or different way so ingest the foods, i.e. low temp frying, or heavy dilution, or counteractive solutions, e.g. having antacid with beer to minimise gut irritation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I think a much better diet is what's called "Autoimmune Paleo". It's an elimination diet essentially, you do it for a set period of time and add things back in to see how you react. Nightshades appear to figure in psoriasis/eczema/skin disorders, as do dairy, nuts, legumes, etc....but everyone has their own path with it.

http://autoimmune-paleo.com/paleo-autoimmune-protocol-print-out-guides/

This lady is a PhD and offers a lot of reasons for why we need to try this, and she herself lost an enormous amount of weight, plus she has psoriasis and Lichen planus I think:

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/04/modifying-paleo-to-treat-psoriasis.html
    So, what do you do about psoriasis? The first and most important step is to follow the paleo diet “autoimmunity protocol”. This means that in addition to all of the foods we already avoid while eating paleo, we must also avoid:

Eggs (especially the whites)
    Nuts and Seeds (or at least severely restrict quantities)
    Nightshades (tomatoes, eggplant, peppers of all kinds)

I am on day 13 of the 'protocol' and finding it grand so far. My only stumbling block was giving up coffee, but after one day of discomfort I am fine, drinking lots of teas instead :)

I have p in my scalp too and i find it too hard to use the lamp I got for it.
    What model is the lamp? any photos or links to one which looks similar? I might have some ideas, you might be able to tape on an extension handle or something.

I made mine and made a handle on it. To do the back of my head I can sit in bed with my back up against the wall. I can then sort of balance it on my shoulders so I do not have to sit there holding it for long, I do 3 areas like that which would otherwise take 9mins total.

I was even considering modifying some sort of helmet where I could slot the light into, and move it about. Or get 1 or 2 more bulbs and do a few areas at once.

This is one advantage of the cheaper office light fixtures over the expensive medical hand held ones, you can fix the office light into place and then sit up against it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

rubadub wrote: »
    "hard liquor" & beer -I think he is says hard liquor (whiskey, vodka, gin etc) is worse than beer. I would have thought vodka diluted to 4.3% would be better than beer at 4.3%. Maybe he is just presuming spirit drinkers are binge drinking while beer drinkers might have 1 or .

Beer is an alcoholic beverage produced by the saccharification of starch and fermentation of the resulting sugar. Strength 4 ~6% typically.

Whisky is a type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash 30% [varies]

Wine from grapes 10% further distilling produces Sherry and Brandy.

A common misconception is the distillate rate further distillation by volume, IE a glass of whiskey in pint of water is still say the 30% that it started with ~ and old alcoholic's trick to get the best bang for the buck was to swallow the glass of whiskey and immediately follow it with a half pint or pint of water, it mazimised the absorption of the alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭wonga77

Had to take a break from the uv light for a few days, dont ask me what i was doing but i somehow managed to scald my leg, just to the side of my shin. I hadnt noticed any hugely visable effects to my p. I was starting to wonder how effective the bulb was, well i got my answer.
    I was messing around on the internet and lost track of time, overdid my time by 3 or so minutes. Dam sore, on plus side the p in that area seems to have cleared up. So much so that there is a large patch in that area and half of it got burnt, that burnt half seems to have improved drastically while the other half looks like it was never touched.
    Not for a split second would i be recommending that though, slow and steady much safer tha the pain

the UV therapy given in hospital is only for literally 2 minutes 3 days a week so I guess you should only use that light for a very short time too.
    Im not doing great this week. the lighter protopic doesn't seem to be working. Im going to stick with it for a week or two more and then get in touch with my doctor if I still feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Try an ointment called Diprosalic, it may help. Its on prescription. Worked for me

If anybody has never given Sudocrem a go just try it. It never even crossed my mind to bother with it before but it has been working for me as well as Dovobet or anything like that.
    For the price it's worth trying anyway.

How do you remove the sudocrem without aggravating the psoriasis?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Just asking. Should a food allergy test be the first step?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

feargale wrote: »
    Just asking. Should a food allergy test be the first step?

Can anyone recommend a good one?

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Try an ointment called Diprosalic, it may help. Its on prescription. Worked for me

That's got the same steroid in it as Dovobet so I'm not sure it can be used on my face. Protopic had been working great but my doctor dropped the dose and the results are not he same.
    In relation to sudcream, I did try it on some delicate areas and it made a slight difference but the itch was driving me crazy so I had to go to my doctor and get Daktacort.

How do you remove the sudocrem without aggravating the psoriasis?
    I put sudocrem and other zinc oxide creams on my scalp if it is really bad. Sudocrem is pretty expensive I got one in boots and tesco have a nappy rash cream like it.

I would have a small bag on my head and sleep with it on. I have a sheet of rubber than a wipe/scrape if off with, like a windscreen wiper. I have used a credit card loyalty card thing too, which is flexible. Then you still have some remaining. To get this off you can wipe on cooking vegetable oil or baby oil, this blends into the sudocreme, water does not readily mix. Then you can scrape off the newly applied layer, and if needed you could do the process again, mix in new oil on the now diluted sudocrem. Then I would have shower and most comes out, I have a shaved head though and going grey so if some is left its not noticeable, which is handy, the whiteness sort of acts like makeup covering the redness so even though its actually white it looks normal colour on top of the red.

The boots & tesco ones were more dilute to begin with, you can mix 50/50 sudocrem & vaseline. Dealz do big pots of petroleum jelly (vaseline) for only 1.50. I think they have zinc oxide cream too.

http://www.dealz.ie/baby-and-kids/baby/baby-care/zinc-and-castor-cream-225g
    http://www.dealz.ie/baby-and-kids/baby/baby-care/petroleum-jelly-375g
    http://www.dealz.ie/baby-and-kids/baby/baby-care/medicated-nappy-cream-125g
    http://www.dealz.ie/baby-and-kids/baby/baby-care/johnsons-baby-oil-200ml-100ml-extra-free

the nappy creams can vary, sudocrem has other stuff in it so a direct comparison is not really fair. But petroleum jelly should all be the same. Cheapest vaseline in tesco is €4.49 for 250ml, the dealz is in grams, 375g for €1.50, this is about 440ml in volume so a fraction of the price.

• Advertisement

Aldi were doing big tubs of nappy rash cream a while back, there might be some still around. I picked up 2 or 3 as they were about 2 euros.

I found it excellent for calming inflamed psoriasis but it can stain clothing.

Advertisement