Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

It's about time Horan started looking at some form players, we need scoring forwards.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=210361

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ColeTrain wrote: »
    It's about time Horan started looking at some form players, we need scoring forwards.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=210361

:D

Stop, that guy was as complete a player as I have ever seen in a Mayo jersey.
    Only talking to my dad there at the weekend about Gooch, we were at pitch level either this year or last I can't remember when Kerry played. It could have been Kerry and Down. But a few times Gooch drifted out onto the 50 and took a ball and the speed and precision he hit the ball at was unreal, something a camera would never pick up.
    Mac as far as I am concerned had as much talent and vision. Was a pleasure to watch the lad.

yop wrote: »
    :D

Stop, that guy was as complete a player as I have ever seen in a Mayo jersey.
    Only talking to my dad there at the weekend about Gooch, we were at pitch level either this year or last I can't remember when Kerry played. It could have been Kerry and Down. But a few times Gooch drifted out onto the 50 and took a ball and the speed and precision he hit the ball at was unreal, something a camera would never pick up.
    Mac as far as I am concerned had as much talent and vision. Was a pleasure to watch the lad.

He will go down as one of the all time greats to don the green and red jersey. My post was only a joke obviously but I'm in doubt that they could still do a job from the bench at 39 years young, that's how talented he is.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

He will go down as one of the all time greats to don the green and red jersey. My post was only a joke obviously but I'm in doubt that they could still do a job from the bench at 39 years young, that's how talented he is.

A job of training lads I think if nothing else, vision and ability is a God given thing, but aspects of it can be taught, getting your head up, picking a simple pass first, using the wind, all this can be taught. Some lads dont seem to have that ability at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

A job of training lads I think if nothing else, vision and ability is a God given thing, but aspects of it can be taught, getting your head up, picking a simple pass first, using the wind, all this can be taught. Some lads dont seem to have that ability at all.

Wouldn't say they don't have the abilityas such, just more that they don't have enough going on upstairs to see what is going on around them or to visualise things.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't say they don't have the abilityas such, just more that they don't have enough going on upstairs to see what is going on around them or to visualise things.

LOL, my use of the word "ability" was more a more subtle wording for your hammer in a glasshouse approach :D
    But in fairness plenty of well educated intelligent guys on that squad so its more of been taught of game intelligence.
    There is nothing wrong with changing the direction of a play as oppossed to go forward ball.
    Have a look at some of Mc's videos on youtube and see how he could switch play and then open up the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Kmcd was a great athlete also Huge stamina n strength with good speed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

I think Ciaran McDonald should be brought in as a kicking coach and selector. He is without doubt one of Mayo's greats.

A fantiscate long range kicker and really did derserve a ALL Ireland Medal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

As long as I live I'll never forget this moment:

As long as I live I'll never forget this moment:

Just one of many examples of a gifted player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

His performance in the AI club final was his finest hour I always thought.

Just one of many examples of a gifted player.
    Everyones favourite Mayo score His workrate to get up the pitch was superb Kick at the end looked straight as an arrow

Shows the player in his glory.

What a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I think Ciaran McDonald should be brought in as a kicking coach and selector. He is without doubt one of Mayo's greats.

A fantiscate long range kicker and really did derserve a ALL Ireland Medal
    He was a pleasure to watch play, hard as nails and took no prisoners.

The only problem with such a competent player is that the team overly relies on them. I remember one home match towards the end of his play where we were losing and he was brought on with a broken finger or two, a sad sight. The same happened when conor left and there was a match just after in Roscommon that the lads seemed to be afraid to kick over the bar, even when directly in front of the goal.

I think we now have a much more rounded team, with some very competent players (but the emphasis seems to me to be now more on team play) so I have again high hopes for this year :D.

Cant wait for sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Oldtree wrote: »
    He was a pleasure to watch play, hard as nails and took no prisoners.

The only problem with such a competent player is that the team overly relies on them. I remember one home match towards the end of his play where we were losing and he was brought on with a broken finger or two, a sad sight. The same happened when conor left and there was a match just after in Roscommon that the lads seemed to be afraid to kick over the bar, even when directly in front of the goal.

I think we now have a much more rounded team, with some very competent players (but the emphasis seems to me to be now more on team play) so I have again high hopes for this year :D.

Cant wait for sunday.

As Mayo supporters we're the eternal optimists.Yeah can't wait until Sunday,a win over the Kingdom would be just what the doctor ordered and is a must.

Are we all set for Sunday. Hope its a nice crisp dry day.

Looking forward to seeing a reaction to the Tyrone game and the Inter-provisional win should give the lads involved a bit of a boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mcbainer1999

Anyone know any sites I can watch the mayo v dub final. For my pops.

Thx

Team named:

Robert Hennelly (Breaffy); Brendan Harrison (Aghamore), Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites), Kevin Keane (Westport); Lee Keegan (Westport), Shane McHale (Knockmore), Colm Boyle (Davitts); Aidan O’Shea (Breaffy), Jason Gibbons (Ballintubber); Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore), Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen), Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis); Adam Gallagher (Mayo Gaels), Alan Freeman (Aghamore), Michael Conroy (Davitts).

Good to see Boyle at 7.
    Also glad to see freeman and Conroy start.

Team named:

Robert Hennelly (Breaffy); Brendan Harrison (Aghamore), Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites), Kevin Keane (Westport); Lee Keegan (Westport), Shane McHale (Knockmore), Colm Boyle (Davitts); Aidan O’Shea (Breaffy), Jason Gibbons (Ballintubber); Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore), Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen), Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis); Adam Gallagher (Mayo Gaels), Alan Freeman (Aghamore), Michael Conroy (Davitts).

Good to see Boyle at 7.
    Also glad to see freeman and Conroy start.

I keep saying it and I really like the lad, but K Keane is costing us and I can't see how he is keeping his place.
    Agreed re Boyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭GBXI

I keep saying it and I really like the lad, but K Keane is costing us and I can't see how he is keeping his place.
    Agreed re Boyle.

Keane's natural position is full-back, but we have a shortage of corner-backs so he starts there. Hopefully he gets some confidence back because he has ability. Though it'll be interesting to see who picks up O'Donoghue - he's their danger-man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Madness that Keith Rodgers still hasn't got a run with all the musical chairs in the corners. From what I've seen he's certainly worth a shot over Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Agree to an extent about Keane. Hes has his ropey games and his lack of pace is a problem especially at this level. But he reads the game fairly well and when on form, helps the full back line organisation, discipline etc. Seems to be a talker and we lack that along with some focus and leadership in the full backline, one of the reasons Horans is sticking with him imo. But when Barrett and Cunniffe come back you'd expect Keane to drop out again but hes decent back up.

Be interesting to see how Harrison copes in the corner too.

Any word on the Kerry team?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,063 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

seligehgit wrote: »
    Any word on the Kerry team?

Here it is.
    To be honest I think Mayo will have way too much for them

1.Brendan Kealy (Kilcummin)
    2.Paul Murphy (Rathmore)
    3.Mark Griffin (St Michaels/Foilmore)
    4.Shane Enright (Tarbert)
    5.Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)
    6.Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore)
    7.Marc Sé (An Ghaeltacht)
    8.Anthony Maher (Duagh)
    9.David Moran (Kerins O’Rahillys)
    10.Stephen O’Brien (Kenmare)
    11.Daithí Casey (Dr Crokes)(Capt)
    12.Donnchadh Walsh (Cromane)
    13.Barry John Keane (Kerins O’Rahillys)
    14.Paul Geaney (Dingle)
    15.James O’Donoghue (Killarney Legion)

Interesting to see how Freezer goes on Mark OSe. I think him being in good form and troubling the full back will boost big time our overall forward play
    Its a strong Mayo team n they look to have the measure of that Kerry backline

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Kerry have gone to sh1te. Win no bother.

I am expecting quite a tight game,I'll be delighted if we get over line with a point to spare.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

seligehgit wrote: »
    I am expecting quite a tight game,I'll be delighted if we get over line with a point to spare.:)

Ah now. Leave the cuteness to the Kerry boys! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Its a must win game, if we are to stay up we have to win our home games vrs Kerry and vrs Derry in Round 7.

And if we could manage one more win we could sneak the semi's again like last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

here we go :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement