Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's blatant discrimination and nobody bats an eyelid!!

• 01-03-2014 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭

What am I talking about, extra legroom on aeroplanes. It's an absolute joke.

I am 6f5 and take about 50-100 flight a year and I am sick to death of all this book extra legroom crap. I normally fly aer lingus, but the odd time I have to get a ryanair flight and the fact of the matter is that I do not fit in the seats, my legs are constantly crushed. It's not just ryanair, most airlines do not take into account taller people.

If the person in front of me wants to lower their seat back it's even worse, my knees are either sticking into their back or nearly cut to pieces trying to squeeze them under the seat.

And the thing is, I am genetically tall, it's not like I drank George's marvelous medicine. So why should I have to pay extra to have a seat that actually fits me. I don't have to pay extra for longer trousers or anything else associated with my height so why legroom. I understand that it's a premium service for low cost airlines, but I think they should give it out for free to taller people.

If they are going to discriminate, they why not discriminate against fat people, I have to pay extra for every kilo overweight my bag is, so why don't they have to pay for every extra kilo overweight they are? Of course if they did do that there would be uproar but that is essentially why is happening to tall people and nobody cares.

In fairness to Aer Lingus, about 70% of the time I get on a plane they ask me if I want to sit in an emergency exit seat, but no other airline ever offers this to me.

And it's not cheap either, if a flight cost €50 and extra leg room is €10, that 20% I have to pay. The whole things cost me about and extra grand a year

I think it's time us tall people stood up for our rights, after all we are bigger than them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Well maybe you should have listened when your mother told you not to be long!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The fact of the matter is that you are 7 inches taller than the average Irish male (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height). Just suck it up or pay for the extra space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

kjl wrote: »

I am 6f5 and take about 50-100 flight a year and I am sick to death of all this book extra legroom crap. I normally fly aer lingus, but the odd time I have to get a ryanair flight and the fact of the matter is that I do not fit in the seats, my legs are constantly crushed. It's not just ryanair, most airlines do not take into account taller people.

If the person in front of me wants to lower their seat back it's even worse, my knees are either sticking into their back or nearly cut to pieces trying to squeeze them under the seat.

And the thing is, I am genetically tall, it's not like I drank George's marvelous medicine. So why should I have to pay extra to have a seat that actually fits me. I don't have to pay extra for longer trousers or anything else associated with my height so why legroom. I understand that it's a premium service for low cost airlines, but I think they should give it out for free to taller people.

If they are going to discriminate, they why not discriminate against fat people, I have to pay extra for every kilo overweight my bag is, so why don't they have to pay for every extra kilo overweight they are? Of course if they did do that there would be uproar but that is essentially why is happening to tall people and nobody cares.

In fairness to Aer Lingus, about 70% of the time I get on a plane they ask me if I want to sit in an emergency exit seat, but no other airline ever offers this to me.

And it's not cheap either, if a flight cost €50 and extra leg room is €10, that 20% I have to pay. The whole things cost me about and extra grand a year

I think it's time us tall people stood up for our rights, after all we are bigger than them.

because they use the fat passengers as wing ballast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

The fact of the matter is that you are 7 inches taller than the average Irish male (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height). Just suck it up or pay for the extra space.

Up to 1000 quid a year, seems a bit **** to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

You raise an interesting point, why are we subsidizing your long trousers. It's about time ye started paying yere way

• Advertisement

Balmed Out wrote: »
    You raise an interesting point, why are we subsidizing your long trousers. It's about time ye started paying yere way

Right, but it's not you who is getting the money, it's the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

I am 6ft 5 and have flown with both Ryanair and Aer Lingus many times, have to say not once was I ever offered an emergency exit seat with AL. I actually find it better to fly with Ryanair as the person in front hasn't the option of letting the seat back.

I have flown with AL and all to often the fella in front has let their seat back and my knees are up around my ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You're the reason we have high doorways and ceilings and shelves that no one can reach. You're the reason my dreams of a career as a point guard in the NBA were never realised

Shame on you OP, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!

Hang on there Stretch. If you get stung for being tall, then I demand to be refunded for being small.

I don't need all that room for leg length I don't have, so why am I being charged for it?

Oh, don't tell me. I'm subsidising legroom for you average people. This is very unfair and I'm going to stand up for my rights.

It's not my fault if people think I'm still sitting down. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Where could one procure this magic medicine? I could be taller...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭asteroth

Well on trains you have to pay extra for a first class ticket and this affords some added comfort like a bigger seat, quiet compartment, etc. Generally you are pretty much guaranteed a seat if you buy a first class ticket and anyone who is in first class and doesn't have the appropriate ticket is booted out.
    If you want extra comfort on a plane you have to pay for it too.

Incidentally if you fly 100 times a year then I'm assuming it's for business. That being the case doesn't your company pay? What the fcuk do you care?
    Of course if you have to pay then what can I say. Planes are designed for people of average proportions not freaks like you....just kidding :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

i think they shouldn't allow seats to be pushed back. it's so rude and annoying to the people behind you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

Because being fat is everyone else's fault but there's and you being tall is a choice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Bus Eireann are equally as bad. They basically sacrificed the comfort of every single passenger just so that they could cram in an extra couple of seats on each side. Disgraceful.

EyeSight wrote: »
    i think they shouldn't allow seats to be pushed back. it's so rude and annoying to the people behind you

It's hard to object to someone putting their seat back on a long haul flight. It might make the difference between some sleep and none.

The issue is the airline not allowing enough space, not reclining your seats just enables them to rob more of it off you if they can claim people don't use it.

I wonder if the coffin ships of the famine era had more space per passenger than a modern budget airline?

asteroth wrote: »
    Well on trains you have to pay extra for a first class ticket and this affords some added comfort like a bigger seat, quiet compartment, etc. Generally you are pretty much guaranteed a seat if you buy a first class ticket and anyone who is in first class and doesn't have the appropriate ticket is booted out.
    If you want extra comfort on a plane you have to pay for it too.

Incidentally if you fly 100 times a year then I'm assuming it's for business. That being the case doesn't your company pay? What the fcuk do you care?
    Of course if you have to pay then what can I say. Planes are designed for people of average proportions not freaks like you....just kidding :p

yeah, it's a good point, but company doesn't pay for extras, I slip them in anyway and using gold circle you can upgrade seat too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

I am 6ft 5 and have flown with both Ryanair and Aer Lingus many times, have to say not once was I ever offered an emergency exit seat with AL. I actually find it better to fly with Ryanair as the person in front hasn't the option of letting the seat back.

I have flown with AL and all to often the fella in front has let their seat back and my knees are up around my ears.

I fly Boston - Dublin once a year and I pay $40 extra per emergency exit seat. Well worth it for the auld stretch.
    But I request it. Years ago the charge did not apply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Have a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

EyeSight wrote: »

Just recline your seat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I am 6f5 and take about 50-100 flight a year and I am sick to death of all this book extra legroom crap.

And the thing is, I am genetically tall, it's not like I drank George's marvelous medicine. So why should I have to pay extra to have a seat that actually fits me.

You're dead right OP, that's bad form. They are charging you an arm and a leg for more room......it could be worse though, they could be charging you for both legs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Crimea River

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

cruais wrote: »
    Just recline your seat

Its some pain in the hole when you're ten minutes up in the air and the cnut in front of you decides to push their seat the whole way back, i mean for fcuksake surely you can sit upright in a seat for at least a poxy hour with having to recline back and get all up in my sh1t.

Usually i ease my way into the reclining process when up in the air a few hours and need a kip, its nice to be nice, early recliners though..scum of the earth, you'd almost wish the plane would crash so it'd kill them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I am 6f5 and take about 50-100 flight a year

With that amount of travel you are either independently wealthy or do a lot of travel for work.

Have you asked your business to pay the extra cost? Do you not get skymiles? With that amount of travel, couldn't you use miles for the upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Sit up the front, problem solved!

May never have flown before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

BS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

no way you can get 50euro flights if your flying every week, they have to be booked in advance during a promotion. if you're traveling that often your job would be paying for business class

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Yeah, well I can't see shit when you are in front of me at a gig so it evens out ya tall fecker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'm 5'8" #tallworldproblems :pac:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I thought they did penailse fat people? Isn't there some rule about if you're too fat you have to pay for an extra seat? Or is that just in the states?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭lau1247

Toots* wrote: »
    I thought they did penailse fat people? Isn't there some rule about if you're too fat you have to pay for an extra seat? Or is that just in the states?

Probably, but if the person is obese to the size of taking up two seats then i'd think the said person would have to pay

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Advertisement