Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAP CARD - Updated Summary of Cards/Functionality Available - February 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

With London Buses going totally cashless later this year,it is worth noting the similarities in passenger behaviour regarding Oyster/Leapcard use...or non-use.

Leon Daniels,the Managing Director of Surface Transport in TfL recently outlined a very interesting statistic....
    47% of people who pay cash, do HAVE an Oyster card but with no credit on it. Many passengers have several cards! We will now make sure that there is one last ‘get you home’ facility so those with less than £1.45 on their card will get one more ride. They will also get a paper ticket message reminding them it is time to top up.

44% cited having “the wrong trousers” (or handbag). Yes they have an Oyster card but didn’t have it with them.

I am finding a significant incidence of people falling back on Cash Fare payment even though they have a Leapcard,but "forgot" to top it up etc....The problem is however,these people tend to demand the Leapcard Fare,and react negatively when told it's c 20% dearer....they appear to believe that possession of the card is enough to merit the discount.

Equally interesting is the fact that our Leapcard is already one-up on Oyster as we already have that "get you home" facility from Day 1.

However,by far and away the greatest issue,is for the NTA,should they have the interest in recognising it.....Dublin needs FAR more Leapcard Credit Loading Points,and it needs them NOW.
    This Payzone nonsense is damaging the functionality of the entire ITS programme.

Even if it were only in the City Centre,we need the NTA to fit some Smart Card Readers to RTPI poles allowing Cards to recieve the On-Line Top-Ups...even this limited response would have huge benefits for the Bus Only user who make up the vast majority of Commuting Dubliners.

TfL have the right idea...it remains to be seen whether the NTA have enough sense to grow a pair and confront Customer Inertia head-on....?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well the BRT will introduce many more Luas type ticket machines into the city.

However I think a better solution is to upgrade the Dublin Bus ticket machines with more modern models that operate faster and allow for online top-ups to be applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Anyone else finding the leap card rather unresponsive on the right hand side readers on Dublin Bus?

I have a 30 day rambler on mine, takes an age to read. Cant be read from my wallet (interference isn't the problem, its on its own). Starting to annoy me

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Anyone else finding the leap card rather unresponsive on the right hand side readers on Dublin Bus?

I have a 30 day rambler on mine, takes an age to read. Cant be read from my wallet (interference isn't the problem, its on its own). Starting to annoy me

Yup, same for me using a 30 day rambler on the leap (card not in wallet). My usual trick with the €2.50 fare was to walk past the reader, holding the card in place on the reader from when I approached. It would always beep in time, not requiring me to stop.

With the 30 day rambler on it I find myself having to stop and wait for a second.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Mr Simpson wrote: »

Issue with your wallet may be how thick it is and how far out from the validator your card is, while in the wallet. This is because the card needs to draw power from the validator as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Issue with your wallet may be how thick it is and how far out from the validator your card is, while in the wallet. This is because the card needs to draw power from the validator as well.

Even outside of the wallet its reading badly or not at all. When in the wallet, I open it, so the only thing between the reader and the card is clear plastic. Worked fine withthe paper rambler, now rarely does with leap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hi,

I ordered a personalised leap card today and I was wondering if anyone here could give me an idea about how long it might take to deliver?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Dublin Bus:
    Daily - Adult €6.90 / Student €5.00 / Child €2.50
    Weekly (Monday-Sunday) - Adult €27.50 / Student €20.00 / Child €8.20

Note:
    For Dublin Bus Xpresso, Outer Suburban 2, and Nitelink services a maximum of €2.50 (€1.15 for a child) of the fare contributes towards the cap. Airlink, tours and special events are excluded from the cap.

Hi there,

Just a question about capping. I used an express service yesterday as well as two other buses and a commuter train. I was charged over the student cap.

Am I right is saying that only 2.50 of the express bus I took goes to the cap and I am charged the remainder of the fare outside the daily cap? So everything else will be held at 7.50 bar the express bus?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

This is kind of unfair on those using the Leap card considering those with free travel are unrestricted on the Xpresso and outer suburban services. It should be unrestricted on all services except nightlink and the airport service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Anyone any idea of the status of the auto top up feature on Dublin Bus. I know its being tested but any update on when and if it will go live..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hi,

I ordered a personalised leap card today and I was wondering if anyone here could give me an idea about how long it might take to deliver?

Thanks

Didn't take long at all for mine - certainly no more than a week.

• Advertisement

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Anyone any idea of the status of the auto top up feature on Dublin Bus. I know its being tested but any update on when and if it will go live..

Leapcard Auto Top-Up is NOT a "feature" relevant to Dublin Bus.

The facility is Leapcard specific and dependent upon the setting-up of a direct debit in favour of Leapcard.

Once enabled,it is automatically triggered BY THE CARD,and has nothing to do with the respective operator whose service is being utilized at the time of top-up.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Seaswimmer wrote: »

A recent tweet from @leapcard said it isn't far away from going live.

I'd advise watching their twitter feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Leap Card now live in Cork.
    201, 202, 203, 205, 206, 207, 207A, 208, 209/209A, 214, 215*, 216, 219.
    *Excluding the portion between Blackpool and Cloghroe
    Once I have a Leap Card, what are my ticket options?

You can use Travel Credit on your Leap Card to pay for single trips. Travel Credit fares are 16% cheaper than the corresponding cash single ticket. If you are a more frequent traveller, you can also buy the following tickets for your card:

Red Zone 24 Hour or 7 Day Rolling tickets available on Leap Card
    Cork City services excluding 215 between Blackpool and Cloghroe
    Red Zone Adult
    24 Hour - €5
    Tickets are valid for 24 Hours following first activation on the bus
    Red Zone Adult
    7 Day - €21
    Tickets are valid for 7 consecutive days following first activation on the bus

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Leap Card now live in Cork.

Bus Eireann (and the NTA) are really missing a trick here......NON-Consecutive Ramblers are THE way to go in terms of popularity and attracting/retaining regular users...WHY any agency would wish NOT to utilize this major feature of "Smartcard" ticketing is beyond me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Bus Eireann (and the NTA) are really missing a trick here......NON-Consecutive Ramblers are THE way to go in terms of popularity and attracting/retaining regular users...WHY any agency would wish NOT to utilize this major feature of "Smartcard" ticketing is beyond me :confused:

Maybe (hopefully) it will come in time.

In fairness, having the 24hr ticket is a step in the right direction, and in certain cases would work out better value than a rambler style ticket which is valid for the day's buses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ailbheg wrote: »
    Maybe (hopefully) it will come in time.

In fairness, having the 24hr ticket is a step in the right direction, and in certain cases would work out better value than a rambler style ticket which is valid for the day's buses.

Depends. It just could end up like what they did with the routes for commuting to dublin, but on a smaller scale. Could easily end up only being the fare, 24hr and 7day/week tickets. They seem intent on only bringing to leap whats being ticketed for already. Some things may change eventually due to leaving things out, but I doubt the core products will.

Even the idea of a rambler ticket is obsolete as they could adjust fare capping for dublin bus usage to be the same amount as 1 day on the 30 day ticket. But for some mad reason they are intent on holding the daily cap to the same rate as a daily rambler. That product range can be completely done away with.

They seem intent on only bringing to leap whats being ticketed for already. Some things may change eventually due to leaving things out, but I doubt the core products will.

That's not really the case - the 24hr (vs return, as that's what it would be used as mostly I would guess) and 7 day tickets (similar.price to 10 journey depending on location within a zone from what I can tell) are similar to what was there, but there's no direct comparison, as the leap ticket is valid for all travel within the zone within the time frame.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

And how do you operate the Leap Card on Cork buses?

Can you just tag-on or do you have to hold it on the reader and ask the driver for a ticket?

bk wrote: »
    And how do you operate the Leap Card on Cork buses?

Can you just tag-on or do you have to hold it on the reader and ask the driver for a ticket?

Hold it on the reader and ask for the ticket you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Hi,

Does anyone know how the cap on the student leap works, and if it works on out of date student cards, as I found my one from last year at home with some credit on it
    :pac:

• Advertisement

Hold it on the reader and ask for the ticket you want.

God, that is so idiotic.

Cork has a flat fare, so there is no reason why they can't eliminate driver interaction like with Oyster on London Bus.

Just goes to show how broken the whole Leap card scheme is!

Hi,

Does anyone know how the cap on the student leap works, and if it works on out of date student cards, as I found my one from last year at home with some credit on it

You can get credit transferred onto your new card. I think at this stage the card will have expired so won't be useable.
    God, that is so idiotic.

Cork has a flat fare, so there is no reason why they can't eliminate driver interaction like with Oyster on London Bus.

Aren't there 24hr and 7 day tickets though?

(I haven't actually used it in Cork, so am assuming that you just present the card and ask for the ticket, in the same way as in Dublin, so could be wrong.)

Aren't there 24hr and 7 day tickets though?

But they would also not need driver interaction.

How it should work:

- You just hold the card over the reader as you board, no driver interaction.
    - If a 24hour or 7day ticket is present, it automatically validates.
    - Otherwise it deducts the fare from the credit.

Should be no need to actually talk to the driver and really the cork buses should be equipped with right hand side validators for these tickets to speed up boarding like on Dublin Bus.

But they would also not need driver interaction.

How it should work:

- You just hold the card over the reader as you board, no driver interaction.
    - If a 24hour or 7day ticket is present, it automatically validates.
    - Otherwise it deducts the fare from the credit.

Should be no need to actually talk to the driver and really the cork buses should be equipped with right hand side validators for these tickets to speed up boarding like on Dublin Bus.

To eliminate the driver interaction there would be a second validator on the bus, and I'm guessing that at the moment there simply isn't the money for that.

Ideally you would validate on the right, and only interact with the driver if buying a 24 hour or 7 day ticket.

However, with only one machine on each bus, there is no other way of operating it than to interact with the driver.

lxflyer wrote: »
    However, with only one machine on each bus, there is no other way of operating it than to interact with the driver.

While you would have to approach the driver, I don't see why you would have to interact with him.

Just hold the card over the ticket machine validator and it should automatically beep and away you go.

The driver shouldn't have to select a ticket when the ticket is always the same!

The lack of a right hand validator just goes to show how half-assed Leap is.

While you would have to approach the driver, I don't see why you would have to interact with him.

Just hold the card over the ticket machine validator and it should automatically beep and away you go.

The driver shouldn't have to select a ticket when the ticket is always the same!

But the driver is selling the 24 hour and 7 day tickets as well as the single.

That's why!

But the driver is selling the 24 hour and 7 day tickets as well as the single.

That's why!

Once the ticket has been purchased (if it's a 24hr/7 day), you validate on the machine, the driver doesn't have to do anything until you want to purchase another ticket.

Correct - but if you are boarding a bus without a 24 hour/7 day ticket already loaded, you will need to say so to the driver what ticket you want - single, 24 hour or 7 day.

Correct - but if you are boarding a bus without a 24 hour/7 day ticket already loaded, you will need to say so to the driver what ticket you want - single, 24 hour or 7 day.

Oh my god, that is truly stupid!

Why don't they just scrap the 24 hour and 7 day ticket and instead implement daily and weekly capping equal to them.

Much much simpler and zero need for driver interaction then.

The leave of stupidity here is truly mind blowing!

It just goes to show the fundamental problem with Leap, smart cards are supposed to speed up dwell times, that doesn't seem to be the goal of Leap at all!

Honestly I don't know what the goal of Leap is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

God, that is so idiotic.

I'm not au fait with Cork's fares, but according to this post from last year, at least one of the routes (the 216) has a different fare.
    Victor wrote: »
    Well, you'd hope that, except they have a different fare for the 215 (a joint city/suburban service), 216 and I think one or two more routes.

My next thought was to simply programme the validator on the 216 buses with the different fare, assuming it's still a flat fare regardless of distance travelled. But for all I know, buses are used on different routes, e.g. be the 216 today and the 202 tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement