Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best documentaries you have seen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

BBC story of Ireland 5 part series.

I'm currently watching The story of the Vikings presented by some scottish bloke who is an irritant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Harold Weiss

There would be loads and it depends on what the subject matter is.

Few off the top of my head.

Inside Job
    Enron: Smartest guys in the room
    The Corporation
    Darwin's Nightmare
    End of Suburbia
    A Crude Awakening
    The Money Masters
    War On Democracy
    DMT: The Spirit Molecule
    Crude
    GasLand
    We Feed The World
    Iraq For Sale: The war profiteers

Loads more and no real favorites ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive with Stephen Fry. It was heartbreaking and touching in equal measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Grizzley Man
    King of Kong: A fist of Quarters
    The Bridge
    Inside Job(w Matt Damon narrating)
    Paradice Lost(About the West Memphis 3)

Some serious doc's there, and I'm pretty certain I'm missing a few, but they are all top quaility and could at any moment be considered my favourite docs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I noticed this on netflix last night, hadn't a clue what it was about. I'll be watching it tonight

Let us know what you think, we watched it and were just open mouthed at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Another great recent one is Mission to Lars, very touching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭geckovision

I really liked 'Grizzly Man' despite the fact your man was a bit of a muppet.

The King of Kong was excellent as was Bigger, Stronger, Faster.

Hated Super Size Me - idiot eats McDonald's every day for a month at all meals and suffers health effects. No sh1t. Self serving piece of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

The Act of Killing - Truly Bizarre from start to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The X Planes was a great series of documentaries for anyone who is into aviation / cold war era technology.

There is a BRILLIANT youtube channel called Superior Hyistory... check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

Tilly wrote: »
    Is it good? Have it lined up to watch.
    I've watched it a couple of times. One of the best documentaries I've seen and I would highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭brevity

The house I live in.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_I_Live_In_(2012_film)

Amazing documentary on the of history drugs and their influence on communities. It's up on netflix.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

ROG

I really liked it but it was horribly put together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

The first would draw tears from a stone and the second are some of the most compelling watching ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

In regards to sports documentaries, the 30 for 30s are still going strong imo. Love most of them.

Favourite would be the Jim Valvano one called Survive and Advance. Pretty touching look at his teams' miracle run in basketball and his great life story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

A class divided, it was about Jane Elliot, a teacher who showed kids what racism was like by separating the blue eyed kids from the brown eyed kids and giving them both a turn at discriminating and being discriminated against.
    Saw another about a little boy called Michael 'mini' Cooper who kept starting fires and spent most of his life in and out of institutions. Couldn't stop thinking about him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp3pLa2W-_Y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Cutie and the Boxer is well worth a watch. It was made within the last year and tells the story of a Japanese couple who've been married for 40 years and work as artists in New York. It's beautifully shot and very heartwarming as well as quite off-the-wall because of the nature of their art. It's up for best documentary in the Oscars along with Blackfish, which is also excellent but completely different.

Sound City is also an excellent recent one, a must-see for music fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

The Civil War by Ken Burns
    Baseball by Ken Burns
    Here Comes Honey Boo Boo not by Ken Burns

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

Stranded- the Andes plane crash survivors. You all know the story. This documentary is their own story filmed when they revisited the site of the crash. Its the best film I've ever seen, nevermind the best documentary. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

A class divided, it was about Jane Elliot, a teacher who showed kids what racism was like by separating the blue eyed kids from the brown eyed kids and giving them both a turn at discriminating and being discriminated against.
    Saw another about a little boy called Michael 'mini' Cooper who kept starting fires and spent most of his life in and out of institutions. Couldn't stop thinking about him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03fvc2j

I saw her doing that on channel 4 and thought it was stupid.

Into the abyss is great, about the death penalty and Werner Herzog stiches the story together fantastically.

The Imposter is excellent also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Trinity-a graphic history of the atomic bomb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Ush1 wrote: »

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There would be loads and it depends on what the subject matter is.

Few off the top of my head.

Inside Job
    Enron: Smartest guys in the room

Loads more and no real favorites ;)

Yes for both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Into the abyss is great, about the death penalty and Werner Herzog stiches the story together fantastically.

The Imposter is excellent also.
    is the imposter the one with the kid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Richard Attenborough in general, his wildlife documentaries are second to none

His brother, David's ones are way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Tilly wrote: »
    is the imposter the one with the kid?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Imposter_(2012_film)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 BWSMG

scudzilla wrote: »
    You really can't beat any Attenborough documentaries

Lately the best one i've seen is Blackfish, truly harrowing, you will NEVER want to go to Seaworld after seeing it

This looks brilliant:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Saw that a while ago. So messed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Prohibition, a three parter by Ken Burns.

BBC Clash of Worlds, and most docus Aunty Beeb churns out are goodies, Timewatch etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Big Bucks

callaway92 wrote: »
    In regards to sports documentaries, the 30 for 30s are still going strong imo. Love most of them.

Favourite would be the Jim Valvano one called Survive and Advance. Pretty touching look at his teams' miracle run in basketball and his great life story.

Ya definitely second that anout the 30 for 30s. 'The U' would probably be my favorite of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 MARTYRYAN

Dig, A doc following the contrasting fortunes of The Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols over a number of years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dig!

Advertisement