Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best documentaries you have seen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

Suprised no1 has mentioned this its on netflix its changed my life

Food Matters
    http://youtu.be/r4DOQ6Xhqss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tinpib

Chun Li wrote: »
    The Iceman: Confessions of a Mafia Hitman - Richard Kuklinski

Yep, class. All 2hrs 20 mins on youtube too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vn7Hz2PK7s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

The best documentary channel I've found on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/journeymanpictures/videos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Probably mentioned already but

The Thin Blue Line - Errol Morris's brilliant documentary about Randall Davies who was wrongfully imprisoned for the murder of a police officer. Was groundbreaking at the time, where it used cut away scenes , reenactments of witness statements and evidence

Touching The Void - Great documentary about Joe Simpsons amazing survival in the Peruvian Andes , saw it in the cinema, not only was the story breathtaking but so was the cinematography!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Off the too of my head

The Last Waltz
    King of Kong
    The Bridge
    Blackfish
    Shut Up and Play the Hits
    Bobby Fischer Against the World

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

I used to like the Louis Theroux documentaries, but I don't see him on as much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_174

Captivated Brazil, watch to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Probably not the best documentaries that I've ever seen but certainly the most memorable recent ones:

Fire In Babylon

Ostensibly about cricket, but really about much more than sport. Politics, culture, racism, pan-Africanism, apartheid, post-colonial identity - all explored and accompanied by a cracking soundtrack.

Lost Land Of The Jaguar

Fascinating nature documentary of the part of the world where I grew up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Some interesting ones here...

How To Make Money Selling Drugs. New
    This is just the name of the Documentary. It's an insight into how far you make it in this field.

Assaulted - Civil Rights Under Fire New

Circuits In Our Skies

• Advertisement

16 year old prostitute that went on to murder one of her clients:

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

No one will find any better documentries than these.

are the above videos only available from the fourth dimension ? because they don't work here ? maybe they were taken down. Can you fix them, thanks. I'm looking for some good ones.

Try again in 30 minutes it says.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Shoah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The two escobars and touching the void

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

King of Kong is easily the most over rated documentary out there. The film was edited in such a way that what you see is almost entirely false. I hate seeing it on lists like this, everyone in the film has said that it shouldn't even be classed as a documentary.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

District 9

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Cocaine Cowboys (A huge part of Miami was built on coke)

Or

Bowling for Columbine (Highlights the insanity of American gun culture)

District 9

Wasn't that a film. Never heard of a documentary on District 9. Hope they make a District 10 movie soon, good flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Dogtown and Z-Boys: A documentary about the origins of skateboarding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP9EMH6R50w

Pandora's Promise: About why nuclear power isn't as bad as it is portrayed and may be the only hope for the future. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDw3ET3zqxk

The Crash Reel: The story of a snowboarder who suffers a traumatic brain injury and his attempts to recover. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj0vY2Nymqw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

Bobby Fischer against the world - fascinating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 yayabalexreya

Touching the void.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

All of the Adam Curtis Documentaries.

The Century Of The Self (2002)
    The Power Of Nightmares (2004)
    The Trap-What Happened to Our Dreams of Freedom (2007)
    All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace (2011)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It's a short video of Irish boxer Kevin Mc Bride eight years after he beat Mike Tyson. Just thought I'd throw it up here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

zenno wrote: »
    Wasn't that a film. Never heard of a documentary on District 9. Hope they make a District 10 movie soon, good flick.
    and there was me thinking it was about second class citizens living a ghetto

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

I'm surprised no one has listed "The Cove" yet with all the mentions of Blackfish. I haven't seen Blackfish yet. The Cove is hard to watch, but worthwhile. Very much an eye opener. www.imdb.com/title/tt1313104/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

wytch wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has listed "The Cove" yet with all the mentions of Blackfish. I haven't seen Blackfish yet. The Cove is hard to watch, but worthwhile. Very much an eye opener. www.imdb.com/title/tt1313104/

Blackfish is good just finished it there after so many people on this thread mentioned it, I've always been against animals in zoo's and waterpark's it just reinforced that in me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

wytch wrote: »

The Cove is one that I know I should watch. I know what's in it though and I just can't bring myself to do it because I know I would find it extremely upsetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

mauzo! wrote: »
    King of Kong and Extasy of order are good too.

My OH made me watch them, ones about Donkey Kong and I'm still not sure if it was a pisstake. And ones about Tetris which I'm unbeleavable at and made me want to enter a competition :o

Ya apparently King of Kong was set up from the start i.e staged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

Dont know if these have been mentioned but Prof. Niall Fergusons "The Ascent of Money" is well worth a watch also as is his "The War of the World"

Also The Great War. The best documentary series I have yet seen on WW1.

P.S. for those who cant watch those for whatever reason there is a great extension for Chrome called Hola Unblocker. It allows you to watch region locked stuff. Its a documentary lovers dream :)

Advertisement