Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Tazio wrote: »
    I put this on an overhead projector this morning waiting for a meeting and saw a face over Cork... have a look...

Humans have a tendency to see all kinds of shapes in random images, its called pareidolia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

There wont be a 'great storm of friday thread' anyway!

no, but there may be a few stormy relationships if someone forgot the valentines presents! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Possibly not but we have more gales here in the south west again tonight, the electricity has gone for the 3rd time today - some cousins west of Dingle haven't had power since Wednesday - the noise of the wind seems louder in the darkness and I'm wondering how many of the trees in the garden damaged on Wednesday will finally collapse and join the 20 or so that were felled two days ago. It will take weeks of sawing, chopping and clearing - but plenty of timber I suppose will be a bonus.
    And as for St. Valentine,,,,, well, a bottle of wine, candlelight and some choccies will have to do :)
    and only about 30 mins left on the smartphone :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

lottpaul wrote: »
    Possibly not but we have more gales here in the south west again tonight, the electricity has gone for the 3rd time today - some cousins west of Dingle haven't had power since Wednesday - the noise of the wind seems louder in the darkness and I'm wondering how many of the trees in the garden damaged on Wednesday will finally collapse and join the 20 or so that were felled two days ago. It will take weeks of sawing, chopping and clearing - but plenty of timber I suppose will be a bonus.
    And as for St. Valentine,,,,, well, a bottle of wine, candlelight and some choccies will have to do :)
    and only about 30 mins left on the smartphone :eek:

From @ESBNetworks Major fault on line to Dingle Peninsula, Camp & Inch. Dingle will be without power until lunchtime tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

From @ESBNetworks Major fault on line to Dingle Peninsula, Camp & Inch. Dingle will be without power until lunchtime tomorrow.

Isn't Kerry some sort of light pollution reserve? This is more successful than they expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Just got power back ourselves here in Mid Kerry at approx 3:30pm today. Power went out on Wednesday at 11:30am.. We also lost water during some of this period. Plenty of trees down and quite a few more ready to drop with the next decent bit of wind like tonight.

Was quite a storm and although it seems to have flown through fairly quickly it was pretty destructive. A lot of our area is still mopping up after the previous storms... The Atlantic is some force of nature and can be brutal but there is still some element of beauty in what it can do..

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

power just back now in lisvernane aherlow, not all of the parish though,
    great sense of what it was like pre electrification.
    some sight wednesday nght to loook towards Clonmel from "christ the king" (local viewing point) and not a single light on anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Our candidate for European Tree of the Year 2014 was taken out by the storm in Co. Offaly.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/european-tree-of-the-year-contender-blows-over-in-storms-1.1692428

Picture of of it here:

http://www.treeoftheyear.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭twincamman

serious amount of trees in coillte forest just knocked or snaped in hal especially the bigger ones here in north cork.what will happen to these??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well I got my print :D:D

12540743664_cde720582f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Villain wrote: »

Nice .. What size print is that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Took a walk through the woods near the homeplace,it's like an asteroid hit at one point,rows upon rows of massive trees down.Looks like the wind was funneled up along the river valley and literally smashed parts of the woods to bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Power back this afternoon here west of Arklow :)

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Nice .. What size print is that ?

Its about A0

I have posted a blog post on the storm just to record some details including some charts prior to the event

http://carlowweather.com/blog/the-great-storm-of-february-12th-2014/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

It was today that we were finally able to take stock of just how badly hit my property was here in Kerry. Personally we estimate we incurred over €20,000 worth of damage and we lost our biggest farm shed to the onslaught. On Wednesday during the afternoon there was a lul and this gave us enough time to cover several hundred bales of hay with tarp's and we tried to stabilise the rest of the structure.

Then on Thursday morning we awoke to two or three inches of snow so the priority was for the livestock, several dozen of which were now homeless after the shed was razed to the ground.

Yesterday then must have seen several inches of rain and absolute chaos again but not additional damage. Today we moved all our hay indoors and began the clean-up and counting the cost.

We had around twenty trees uprooted and the gale actually cracked some of them straight in two halves. It broke off half of a juniper tree which my great-grand uncles grew from a seed which the brought back from America when they fled home to Ireland after the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906.

Devastation and Carnage all round and we reckon the winds that blew were not far from 150mph. Amazingly and thankfully the house survived completely and totally intact, in the 19th Century the house was constructed after the previous dwelling was destroyed during the night of the big wind in 1839, the replacement dwelling having been demolished in 1906 by the previous returned San Francisco brothers and the current house built in the same spot. Those lessons from 1839 and decision to place the house into a natural sheltered hollow saved it on Wednesday when devastation encircled it.

A credit to the ESB finally who also had the power restored within 24 hours and they have been doing trojant work these last few days all over the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Condolences to the family of the Eircom worker that died today after being hit by a falling pole or tree.

Puts everything else in perspective!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Condolences to the family of the Eircom worker that died today after being hit by a falling pole or tree.

Puts everything else in perspective!

Very unfortunate the storm claimed a fatality at this late hour.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

greysides wrote: »
    Very unfortunate the storm claimed a fatality at this late hour.

It sounds like a freak accident. More so when today had been like a summers day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

That on a good quality canvas would be nice..... Hmmmm, makes mental note to investigate cost.

There is still the potential for me to get a few shots of some storm damage in my area. Still many trees blown across roads and hung up on Eircom lines as well as some galvanised roofing sheets, a half destroyed commercial chicken shed.

A photobook might not be a bad idea either as many online suppliers are reasonably cheap with these now....

Oh the possibilities. ..

Tactical wrote: »
    That on a good quality canvas would be nice..... Hmmmm, makes mental note to investigate cost.

There is still the potential for me to get a few shots of some storm damage in my area. Still many trees blown across roads and hung up on Eircom lines as well as some galvanised roofing sheets, a half destroyed commercial chicken shed.

A photobook might not be a bad idea either as many online suppliers are reasonably cheap with these now....

Oh the possibilities. ..

Ya I got it on matt photo paper for now, at €35 it wasn't bad value imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭leinad

I have posted a blog post on the storm just to record some details including some charts prior to the event

http://carlowweather.com/blog/the-great-storm-of-february-12th-2014/

Nice much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0215/504578-glengarriff-death/

R.I.P.

This Storm may not have killed anybody directly, but it really did effect and contribute to many incidents that day with the emergency services being stretched like that. They're already beyond capacity as it is without the storm.

Heard that there was literally 150+ calls stacked on the backlog for fire services.

Ya I got it on matt photo paper for now, at €35 it wasn't bad value imo.

Not bad value at all. Must have a look through the various papers I have as I'm wondering about a pearl paper. Have done some B&W printing on this in the past, however this image will probably look better on the matte paper.

I couldn't print at A0 though and knowing the cost of print consumables and paper stock, I really do think the price was good value.

Looking forward to a quick photo tour tomorrow to capture any last remaining aftermath images as I've been sick and confined to barracks for the last few days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Power & water back please. But work safely first, only power & water after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

I finally have my broadband back... haven't been on Boards since Tuesday... I've so much catching up to do!:D

Following a tour of the local area, I found that most of the debris has been cleared and some trees across a road but suspended on Eircom wires had been cleared.

So much for getting the last few shots. Need to make sure I'm not sick for the next decent weather event :)

Still, the small fella enjoyed the trip out and about trying to spot a few downed trees :)

Will pull together a few photo's for posterity instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

ch750536 wrote: »
    Power & water back please. But work safely first, only power & water after all.
    This may sound silly,but have you reported it?
    I spoke to someone today who with their neighbours lost power 2 days ago,none reported it.I did today and the esb were not aware of it.
    Consequently they won't have power now for another 48hrs,they are that far down the list.There are crews in the area but they have moved on.
    Honestly I said,do they think the Esb are telepathic?

I can't believe the stupidity of some people

• Advertisement

A weather station on Mt Leinster recorded 89.9mph or 144.6kmh on Wednesday! A lot of damage up there with huge number of trees down I posted some image on my Facebook page www.facebook.com/pages/Carlow-Weather/152080598201193

Advertisement