Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Apparently the new swimming pool in New Ross has half the roof blown off and is closed until further notice! :/

1800463_808130279201363_576888188_n.jpg

Friend of mine sent me the pic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Tzardine wrote: »
    Really starting to pick up in Monasterevin now.

Hope its not too damaging.

Its been hitting athy the last hour,Its going to be rough. theres a couple of hundred euro worth of damage done to my house already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Those dark clouds are a coming to Swords Co Dublin. In-coming shortly, with a big bucket of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Easily the worse storm since 97 for the southern half of the country. In some places probably stronger. Though winds at offical stations were lower than 97.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Ramping up here in North Kildare. Horizontal rain and gusting to 35km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

A chunk of plaster off our chimney stack has just blown off, if the rest follows...I thought the gusts wouldn't be as bad here - status orange for connacht...seriously wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Drive east along the motorway out of Galway was not bad at all, mainly because the wind is not blowing across it for a change. Still some dangerous gusts out there, saw one neighbour with the chainsaw out already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

This is gonna cost a bit.

Govt set to spend €23m on paddy's day festivities.

Feck the festivities, that money NEEDS to go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

All roads into Borris, Co Carlow now impassable. Children being kept in schools until they can be collected by parents.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Penname wrote: »
    Ramping up here in North Kildare. Horizontal rain and gusting to 35km/h.

Just had our first worrying gust in Naas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

In the midlands and the wind is really starting to pick up in the last half hour or hour.
    On my own in work for the afternoon and upstairs in a small office block, hearing the building / roof creak and the rain battering against the full length windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭omicron

128km/hr gust in Kilkenny.

http://www.kilkennyweather.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It seems met eireann cried wolf
    not good enough how come we all called it here!!!

I think you need to brush up on your Aesop's fables

Met Eireann were probably afraid of being accused of crying wolf and they were far too conservative in their forecast.

I think they should err on the side of caution and give warnings earlier where there is a plausible risk of a major wind event like this one, but they would probably argue that their analysis of the charts showed that the storm would track south and not affect inland areas badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Easily the worse storm since 97 for the southern half of the country. In some places probably stronger. Though winds at offical stations were lower than 97.
    Yes, looks like we topped at Shannon with 86 knots (99mph), think 1997 had a 104mph @ Valentia?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Any news on when this is expected to end??

It's never going to end :) This is all because of global w.. i mean climate change, and it's all your fault. But don't worry, a little extra tax paid will sort out everything :P

In all seriousness though, after all the almosts with the previous storms, it's very safe to say this one didn't disappoint.

Just hope everybody in the worst affected areas are safe and no major injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭shroom007

Working in Dublin 13, winds picking up quite a lot over the past half hour. Sky darkening, too.

yea but fair play to the pidgeons on the balcony there still out,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

Gaa complex Gorey co wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Kilkenny County Council has activated its major emergency plan. All fire services called up to deal with the storm emergency.

Trees down everywhere...

I'm hearing sirens every few mins. Traffic seems crazy (around MacDonagh Junction area).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

omicron wrote: »
    128km/hr gust in Kilkenny.

http://www.kilkennyweather.com/

That's a very high figure for such an inland station.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Winds really picking up in Naas now. Trees really swaying. That's more like It!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,755 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It didn't even take an hour :P Gone very dark in the last 5/10 mins here in South Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Very odd blue tinge to the sky towards the west. Gusts picking up by the minute. Lets see what gusts will be recorded in the next few hours. I'd say Casement 72 kt and Dublin Airport 69/70 kt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JustplainNUTS

Cork racecourse staff are saying it is NOT flooded - someone is circulating a photoshopped image.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Tornando9 wrote: »
    Still fairly calm at my station in Kildare but expecting in to ramp up soon.

Its on its way, i recorded this 5 minutes ago,just starting here in Monasterevin.
    Its got a lot worse as i was uploading :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    It didn't even take an hour :P Gone very dark in the last 5/10 mins here in South Dublin.

Get out of the hot press, it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

sjb25 wrote: »
    Gaa complex Gorey co wexford

holy... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Howth getting windy again...

Gusts about 45-50kts at a guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

First big gusts of the afternoon just starting in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭omicron

That's a very high figure for such an inland station.

I think there might be a fault though, I remember seeing somewhere that its at 2m not 10m, and it stopped reporting wind for an hour and then when it came back it had jumped from 115 to 128, so not sure how reliable it is.

Just for reference, the highest gust there during any other storm this winter was 93km/hr I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

105mph recorded on the Welsh coast. Breezy

Advertisement