Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA Podcasts

• 04-02-2014 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of any good podcasts about GAA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

A bit biased here :pac: Mayo GAA podcasts;

http://www.mixcloud.com/michael-kelly8/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Mayo News Podcast if it's for Mayo GAA - excellent when available - haven't yet done a league preview.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Live Gaelic also released their first podcast last week, keane2097 is one of the contributors.

Irish Examiner covers all sports, but are decent for GAA.

There's also Off the Ball of course

And Second Captains, but it's a pity they don't split out the GAA into a separate segment.

The Anglo Celt have one focused on Cavan, obviously.

Out in Front is hosted by two Ulster lads

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Midfield9

GAA Scores is another one

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Live Gaelic also released their first podcast last week, keane2097 is one of the contributors.

This was approved for iTunes this evening, should be up there tomorrow hopefully.

Can be got here otherwise if anyone is interested:

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/livegaelic-com-podcast-week-2/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

keane2097 wrote: »
    This was approved for iTunes this evening, should be up there tomorrow hopefully.

Can be got here otherwise if anyone is interested:

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/livegaelic-com-podcast-week-2/

The intro music lasts waaaay to long. Otherwise, good stuff!

Red Crow wrote: »
    The intro music lasts waaaay to long. Otherwise, good stuff!

Yeah I know! We'll fix it next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Surprised there's no newer GAA Podcast thread than this but it's as good a place as any.

Anyone else listen to a few of them? I'm listening to the GAA Hour ones religiously, I also listen to a fair few of the off the ball casts, second captains the odd time and This is Ulster.

I was a bit disappointed this week, The GAA Hour was a live show in Kildare and they only spoke of the Leinster final. Fair enough given it was in-front of an audience that largely wouldn't give a rats about the Ulster final, but I was hoping they'd put out a shorter Ulster final preview one too. Some of the stories from the live show were very funny in fairness so it's worth a listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Might be done already, but would it be a good idea to put up a list of all the different podcast channel links?

By Channel links do you mean soundcloud links? Maybe a Mod could edit the OP and amend these in. Could use this as a general discussion thread.

The GAA Hour
    https://soundcloud.com/sportsjoe-gaa-hour

Off The Ball (GAA mixed in with other sports)
    https://soundcloud.com/offtheball/tracks

Second Captians
    https://soundcloud.com/secondcaptains

We are ulster
    https://soundcloud.com/user-412264382

The Throw In
    https://soundcloud.com/the-throw-in-independentie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

The GAA hour is by far the best
    Second Captains GAA coverage is mediocre and The Throw In is brutal

The GAA hour is by far the best
    Second Captains GAA coverage is mediocre and The Throw In is brutal

Agree with all that. The Throw in seems to be a couple of loudmouths including that Rory Story guy and Joe Brolly shouting over each other incoherently. The second captains one just gives you the impression they hate ever sport they talk about given how snotty they sound about everything.

• Site Banned Posts: 31 Brad Bobley

Game On is excellent. Gary Murphy and Alan Cawley are very good on it.

Agree with the sentiments on the GAA hour.

Since Second Captains went PPV it's been my main "go to"(not GAA specific) podcast from my 5/6 subscriptions.

You also have the RTE GAA podcast on Sunday with Damien Lawlor and guests like Anthony Cunningham etc... decent listen but only one a week and less than an hour.

Another one not mentioned is the Pundit Arena-16th man podcast.

The guests are decent but the hosts let it down. There was a forgettable fella for a while(so much so I couldn't even guess a name) and now they have a female doing it the past few months(not a great draw either tbh).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

love the gas hour but wish they'd talk about more than just the one game on some show aka Thursday night. Always good craic and stories on the live shows all the same though.

love the gas hour but wish they'd talk about more than just the one game on some show aka Thursday night. Always good craic and stories on the live shows all the same though.

In fairness they normally do talk about more than one game in the preview show. That was an odd one because it was a live show. They normally talk about the bigger games longer then go through all the qualifiers and give predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I'd also be a big big fan of the GAA Hour.

Second Captains went very stale on me a while back and I stopped listening. I should probably go back to it though to see what its like these days

I'd also be a big big fan of the GAA Hour.

Second Captains went very stale on me a while back and I stopped listening. I should probably go back to it though to see what its like these days

I agree with you on the staleness- it's kind of still at the level to be honest.
    The GAA Hour would be streets ahead of it on GAA coverage- I always thought Parkinson was a bit of a mouth-piece but he's actually really, really good and Cian Ward is a superb analyst

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

GAA Hour for me, brilliant podcast. The Mayo News Sport podcast is great too... but as you may guess, it's solely focused on Mayo GAA.

Will pop in and out of the rest of them. RTE, OTB etc

I have felt compelled this morning to reopen this topic after attempting to give the Independent's podcast another whirl- (it's called 'The Throw In').
    It is easily the worst GAA podcast out there and I include the odd iteration of Second Captains when Ken tries to give his opinion on GAA or even something that may in the future involve Shane Curran. The whole thing is bloody awful.

This week's podcast included great snippets such as:
    David Brady, when talking about how teams need to hold someone back in reserve to try finish strong, saying that Mayo dont need anyone from the start.
    When discussing the Kerry bench and how they thought it was now stronger than previous years- they referenced O'Brien (thats ok), Darren O Sull (sub for the last few years and prob the 5th forward in off the bench) and Bryan Sheehan (they must still tghink its 2012 or something).

Your man from Rory's stories while being quite funny at times in his videos just isnt an analyst, the presenter is weak and David Brady is a really, really poor analyst and (as the man says) speaker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

I'd agree with you. It's a very weak effort from the Independent.

Brady is a mouth. Mustn't take much to be a Mayo Legend because that's what the indo called him in a piece referring to the podcast this week when he slatted Tyrone. His reckoning is that we're crap because galway beat Donegal while Mayo struggling against Derry who we hammered has no bearing on their stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Jayop wrote: »
    Brady is a mouth. Mustn't take much to be a Mayo Legend because that's what the indo called him in a piece referring to the podcast this week when he slatted Tyrone. His reckoning is that we're crap because galway beat Donegal while Mayo struggling against Derry who we hammered has no bearing on their stance.

Ah surely you're not going to take any heed of him.

To join the chorus our own Mayo News GAA podcasts are excellent,really enjoy the fare offered by OTB GAA podcasts.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Ah surely you're not going to take any heed of him.

To join the chorus our own Mayo News GAA podcasts are excellent,really enjoy the fare offered by OTB GAA podcasts.

I just don't know how they thought that panel for the indo podcast could work. It's completely ****e. Then again that paper is ****e so it's in keeping.

He's rubbish alright , he just rambles and its like listening to an old man after a few pints. His assertion that Mayo need nothing from the start was really ground breaking stuff.

Yeah his assertion that Tyrone arent any good was interesting.

My issue with the podcast is that I have tried to give it a few chances as GAA content is thin on the ground- but they are really poor and it seems like they either dont watch the matches or they dont understand it.

In a galaxy of terrible pundits David Brady is the brightest star. Mind-bogglingly ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Gave that indo one one last chance last night. It was just brolly and the presenter talking about the Tyrone game. Christ brolly is an absolute bull****ter. Claimed Tyrone were lucky to avoid relegation. We had 7 points from the first 4 games and were never in danger. I went into the last game and would have berm OK with the loss had Cavan won their game as they would have stayed up. At no point did we get in danger of relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The GAA Hour is ahead of all the others by a country mile. Wherever you rate Parkinson on the Pratfactor scale of eegrity (I'd imagine most of us would have him up quite high,) fair dues to him for coming up with such an excellent show.

• Advertisement

Gave that indo one one last chance last night. It was just brolly and the presenter talking about the Tyrone game. Christ brolly is an absolute bull****ter. Claimed Tyrone were lucky to avoid relegation. We had 7 points from the first 4 games and were never in danger. I went into the last game and would have berm OK with the loss had Cavan won their game as they would have stayed up. At no point did we get in danger of relegation.

As I said- its like the people on the podcast dont understand the game- I include Brolly in that.

Advertisement