Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

yep still not realligned. I'd like to see it done before all the traffic comes back after Christmas so people can start to get used to it in lighter traffic flows.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Anyone know when the realignment will take place?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I thought they were supposed to realign the road in the middle of December? Are they delayed or what is going on? I am really hoping this section is finished before the M7 widening project begins. It's tough enough on commuters without having to contend with two projects on top of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

If you red back up the thread, someone got a notice to say it was been delayed until after the Christmas break. No reason given other than "Engineering reasons" I think it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Notice in the door for non-specific nightime works beginning tonight Mon-Fri for the next four weeks.They've also started digging and removing trees beside the inbound lanes just before Newlands X.

Fox I saw there over Christmas is going to have to find a new home sharpish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

"What did the Fox say?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

"What did the Fox say?"

He's looking for compo, new gaff, free chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Working continueing on the westside of the junction. Must be something setting them behind? Any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

They only seem to be working where the diverted section mergers back onto the mainline. The seem to be reinforcing the ground with concrete as if there was a sinkhole or something similar.

Just had an update:
    The traffic switchover to the new lanes (outbound) is currently scheduled for Friday 31 January (night time).

Please check the website for further updates

Regards,
    N11 Arklow-Rathnew PPP Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭sidcon

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Just had an update:

BuzzFish were you getting these updates from. As a Buisness on this road I'm not hearing anything. Pm me if you have contact details

• Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭rameire

I assume he got it by email as I recieved the same update from the n7 / n11 email address

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    I assume he got it by email as I recieved the same update from the n7 / n11 email address

Correct, I emailed info at n7n11.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/80000-drivers-facing-weeks-of-delays-29966430.html

The changeover will begin at 9pm and will involve traffic heading from the
    M50/Red Cow interchange toward Naas (westbound) being shifted to a new
    three-lane road to their left.

In three weeks' time, traffic coming east from Naas will be moved across the
    'old' westbound road, allowing construction to be begin on the flyover.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Looks like the right-turning traffic from N7 outbound to Fonthill Rd has been diverted onto the new road. Scratch that, none of them have lights on :p

291784.jpg

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

New lanes are open now.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

(apologies if this has been addressed before)
    According to this, the flyover will only have two lanes in either direction, which seems insane.

BfS-SZoCEAA9p7N.jpg:large

Hopefully it's just a mistake :o

• Registered Users Posts: 68,133 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Telchak wrote: »
    Hopefully it's just a mistake :o

It is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

There'll be three lanes at all times in each direction with three lanes in each direction on the flyover once its opened. Shoddy journalism :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

There'll be three lanes at all times in each direction with three lanes in each direction on the flyover once its opened. Shoddy journalism :)
    Yep - the design drawings have been posted here and they clearly show 3 lanes in each direction.
    Journalists = bad engineers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭paulbok

On the diversion this morning and definitely 3 lanes outbound with both a left & right turn only lane.
    Has to be the reduced speed limits that are causing the tailbacks there now.

I hear that as the junction is now "stretched" more time has to be given to the traffic from fonthill and belgard roads. The result is holding the east/westbound lanes for longer on red. Tailbacks to Colemans lane (before J4) this morning @ 7:40

• Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭rameire

I hit the traffic inbound around 7.40 this morning and it was back to Johnstown logistics.
    For anybody driving between the hours of 7am-10am and 4pm-7pm I suggest listening to 103.2 Dublin City fm. They also tweet and like input. Their Twitter is @livedrive
    It may be helpful if this traffic mess is to continue

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

With the change over now in place is it still possible to turn onto Naas southbound coming from Nangor road?

Pablod wrote: »
    With the change over now in place is it still possible to turn onto Naas southbound coming from Nangor road?

Yes you can

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I was on the M50 southbound today about 8:30pm, the traffic is actually start stop on this newly upgraded at great expense motorway. Interchanges i.e. Tallaght, Ballymount etc still dont have the capacity to deal with the traffic! I hope this NX cross upgrade isnt at capacity or over it the minute it opens, which the M50 certainly appears...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It will unfortunately, but it will help.

Morning times the jam will shift to the Red Cow and any unblocking will jam up the M50 further.

Evening times it will certainly be better but I still expect jams as something like six lanes of traffic (overall) have to filter into three on approach to Newlands.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I was on the M50 southbound today about 8:30pm, the traffic is actually start stop on this newly upgraded at great expense motorway. Interchanges i.e. Tallaght, Ballymount etc still dont have the capacity to deal with the traffic! I hope this NX cross upgrade isnt at capacity or over it the minute it opens, which the M50 certainly appears...
    It isn't possible to upgrade to the point where congestion never again occurs. The upgrade itself generates more traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I do understand that, would going back up to 120kph again between certain junctions or at peak time only, make much of a difference I wonder? Also another poster said it couldnt be done, but it looks to me on most of my journey, that they could have put in 4 main line lanes in each direction...

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I do understand that, would going back up to 120kph again between certain junctions or at peak time only, make much of a difference I wonder? Also another poster said it couldn't be done, but it looks to me on most of my journey, that they could have put in 4 main line lanes in each direction...

IMHO the speed limit is too high on the M50 at peak times. There are a large number of rear-enders (adding to congestion) due to traffic following too close at speed. If we can't educate people to keep a safe distance, then they need to be travelling slower. The M25 around london is an example of how a (variable) lower speed limit, can increase throughput.

Advertisement