Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

The extra junction on the M7 (9a) is mentioned multiple times in the Kerry Plans in Naas so it much be considered is not a requirement for that project

Also from the minutes of Kildare county Council meeting in March this year:
    To consider report on the following agreements:
    (a) Agreement with Naas Town Council for the purpose of constructing an interchange
    consisting of a Grade Separated Junction and the R407 Sallins By-Pass at
    Osberstown, Naas, Co Kildare.
    (b) Agreement with Naas Town Council for the purpose of construction a widening of the
    M7 Motorway and the improvement of the Newhall Interchange at Naas, Co Kildare.

The Council considered the reports on the roads agreements in the above areas which had
    been circulated. Ms Kavanagh outlined the salient points indicating that this project will
    straddle the town boundary of Naas and involve work to local, national and regional roads
    and in order to comply with the requirements of legislation, Kildare will be carrying out the
    works in the Naas Town Council Area.

Resolved on the proposal of Councillor Callaghan, seconded by Councillor Moore and
    agreed by all members, that pursuant to Section 85 of the Local Government Act 2001, that
    the council enter into (a) agreement with Naas Town Council for the purpose of constructing
    an interchange consisting of a Grade Separated Junction and the R407 Sallins By-Pass at
    Osberstown, Naas, Co Kildare and (b) agreement with Naas Town Council for the purpose of
    construction a widening of the M7 Motorway and the improvement of the Newhall
    Interchange at Naas, Co Kildare.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/CorporateServices/CorporateServices/CouncilMeetings/KildareCountyCouncilCommitteeMeetings/2013/Minutes/130325.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Deedsie wrote: »
    Friday evening traffic coming out of Dublin for the last few weeks has been horrendous, tailbacks on the M50 trying to get off at junction 9 (N7 south), Newlands cross and the Naas dual carriageway out to junction 11 (M9) on the M7 motorway. I find it really hard to believe that Newlands cross flyover will alleviate all of this. I think as soon as the Newlands cross flyover is done the M7 from junction 9 to junction 11 should be widened to 3 lanes?

Is there any possibility of this ever happening? If so how long would the build phase of a project like this take? Is it even feasible for the government to consider a project like this? Or are there more important projects to do first?

Kildare Co Co recently held a public consultation regarding the M7 widening from Naas as far as the M9 junction.

[URL="http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/NationalRoadsOffice/M7NaastoNewbridgeBy-PassUpgradeScheme2013/EmergingPreferredRoute/PublicConsultation/[/URL]

http://www.mytenders.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=MAR322895

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

tonc76 wrote: »

Dodgy link there

So say that goes ahead, then it'l be 100kph till the m9?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,131 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's no requirement for three lane motorways to be 100.

MYOB wrote: »
    There's no requirement for three lane motorways to be 100.

You learn something new everyday so :)

I heard somewhere they have to be for safety reasons no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

tonc76 wrote: »

Link is fine on a PC, doesn't work on a phone. So is that tender still out or has that been awarded? Is the site study being carried out currently?

Dodgy link there

120 at the moment and I see no reason why it would be brought down?
    120 starts at the ball...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Dodgy link there

Isn't the current 3 lane Naas Rd only 100kph due to amount of direct accesses onto the carriageway meaning it has to be an N road rather than a motorway?

BuzzFish wrote: »
    120 at the moment and I see no reason why it would be brought down?
    120 starts at the ball...

I'm going by the m50, I heard because it's a three lane motorway that's why its only 100 until it becomes the two lane bit out to the m11, I was just thinking they'd be doing the same if they were widening it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'm going by the m50, I heard because it's a three lane motorway that's why its only 100 until it becomes the two lane bit out to the m11, I was just thinking they'd be doing the same if they were widening it

The M50 is 100km because of the narrow lane widths. Nothing got to do with the amount of lanes.

• Advertisement

AFAIK, The M50 is 100Kph as it is an "Urban Motorway" and because it has lanes that are narrower than standard. The N7/M7 on the other hand is out of town, with wider (standard) lane sizes.

The M50 is 100km because of the narrow lane widths. Nothing got to do with the amount of lanes.

Well that'l do me :)

The M1 and M2 have three lane, 120km/h sections. The M50 is lower speed for other reasons - lane width, and in the case of one section towards the south, planning permission - a section of it was 100km/h when it was two lane due to planning constraints (noise).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

MYOB wrote: »
    The M1 and M2 have three lane, 120km/h sections. The M50 is lower speed for other reasons - lane width, and in the case of one section towards the south, planning permission - a section of it was 100km/h when it was two lane due to planning constraints (noise).

Actually the M2 doesn't have any 3-lane sections, but about half of the N2 between the M50 and the start of the M2 has a 120 km/h limit, so your point still stands.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The junctions on the M7 Naas Bypass, when Osberstown is built, will be quite close, and the lanes might be narrower, so that part might end up 100, but the rest as far as the M9 won't be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Also it's surprising that when the NRA renumbered all the junctions on the N7/M7 they didn't leave spare numbers for Newlands Cross, Turnapin, or Osberstown.
    Bit silly really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭rameire

4 inch dense hard core going down as I type

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Presume it was the road lads thst burst a water main at newlands yesterday or is there some other work going on there too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

spacetweek wrote: »
    Also it's surprising that when the NRA renumbered all the junctions on the N7/M7 they didn't leave spare numbers for Newlands Cross, Turnapin, or Osberstown.
    Bit silly really.

Or just implemented km based signage (which would tie in with their new signs on the roads)

They seem to be laying the last layer of blacktop on the new side lanes. Looks like they'll be ready for a switchover shortly.

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    They seem to be laying the last layer of blacktop on the new side lanes. Looks like they'll be ready for a switchover shortly.

Drove past it today.
    They haven't tarred the whole width and there will still be one layer of t mac to go on top of what they have done so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

They are still putting down layers this morning there but they are still only digging out on the southern side of the Belgard road so they will be a little while yet before going for a swapover. This section out past the Belgard road is quite small so it shouldnt take too long to construct it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Got a letter through the door from bam today about nightime works for the next 3 weeks for footpath, bus lane and permanent traffic management configuration starting tonight.

Got a letter through the door from bam today about nightime works for the next 3 weeks for footpath, bus lane and permanent traffic management configuration starting tonight.

any chance of sticking a pic of the letter up please.

I take it is just about the Phase two that is from now till March
    and everything is to move south.
    outbound lanes to move to the new built roadway
    and inbound lanes to move to the outbound lanes

or is it just what is shown in the following pdf
    http://www.sdcc.ie/sites/default/files/publications//hi-4-newlands-cross-presentation.pdf

under the following site
    http://www.sdcc.ie/services/roads-traffic/road-infrastructural-projects/newlands-cross

Just looking at;
    http://www.sdcc.ie/sites/default/files/publications//hi-4-newlands-cross-presentation.pdf

And I see something interesting between Pages 23 and 24 (a little ahead of us right now I know). Page 23 show 4 lanes inbound, split into pairs. Knowing how everyone loves the outside lanes on the N7 I'd imagine the outside 2 will be pretty busy. Now roll onto page 24 and after the junction only one lane continues inbound. This is going to be a huge bottneck and headache.

I can see a few tips happening here too as the folk in the right turning lanes attempt to continue straight and the ppl in the correct (lefthand) lane move to the right to continue into Dublin.

I'll be keeping left at the initial split and avoiding this altogether :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Here's the letter we received

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Just looking at;

And I see something interesting between Pages 23 and 24 (a little ahead of us right now I know). Page 23 show 4 lanes inbound, split into pairs. Knowing how everyone loves the outside lanes on the N7 I'd imagine the outside 2 will be pretty busy. Now roll onto page 24 and after the junction only one lane continues inbound. This is going to be a huge bottneck and headache.

Have another look ;) Carriageway splits in two. Two lanes to the 'left' and one lane (+ Belgard) to the 'right'. The pictures don't show it that well but there are 3 lanes at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I have a very simple question, what is the problem with simply putting in a 1 lane underpass in each direction on the main line, for vehicles of 2m or under?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I have a very simple question, what is the problem with simply putting in a 1 lane underpass in each direction on the main line, for vehicles of 2m or under?

Wouldn't have anywhere near enough of an impact and would still be hideously disruptive to build. Metro West (if it ever gets built) has to run through the junction at level also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Very quite on here. Aws an update they have a lot of the blacktop down on the new temopary lanes and some lane markings down also. It looks as if both sides of the works either side of the belgard road will line up so they wont need to dig this up just remark it for the new lanes on the day/night of swapover.

Anyone have a date for the swapover?

Advertisement