Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermoid Ovarian Cyst, Going to cause problems?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭starlight1

Gee_G wrote: »
    Hey ladies :)

I've had both a laparoscopy and laparotomy for a Dermoid cyst.
    Obviously if the cyst is very big, they night have to do open surgery but a lot of it also depend on how attached it is to your ovary etc. I had the keyhole first and they then realised that it was quite attached to my ovary and they weren't sure if my ovary would have go removed or not.

The laparotomy obviously has a longer recovery time but you just have to take it easy, it is major surgery but its fine. You will notice what a huge difference even a day makes to your recovery! Enjoy being looked after ;)

As for waiting times, every hospital is different. I think I had both my appointments within a couple of months as far as I can remember. I suppose it depends on each particular case and the urgency of removing it.

I started this thread wondering would it cause any problems conceiving and After my laparotomy(I think then playing around with my ovaries must have stimulated them or something ha ha) , I was patiently waiting for my first time of the month after it, and it never came! :)
    I now have a gorgeous little boy :):)

The very best of luck to every one of you!

Thanks GeeG, its really reassuring to hear from someone whos been through the same surgery. Congratulations on your little boy :) I'm also v concerned about fertility as depending how the surgery goes and if there is an underlying condition it could make things more difficult. Think its hard not being able to prepare as I wont know until I come around what they have done and what damage is there

I'm pretty sure MRI showed cyst is within my ovary (How is that even possible considering the size of it!?) so I will have to consent to laparoscopy, laparotomy, cystectomy and possible ovary removal. trying to not overly worry about possible outcomes at mo as I have no control over it and won't know before I go under! They will also check tubes aswell to see if they are okay or not.

If you dont mind me asking a couple of questions about the laparotomy?:
    • Did you have stitches or staples and are they removed before you leave hospital?
    • did you have catheter in and when did it come out? (Im a bit freaked out by this for some reason :o)
    • did your doc speak to you afterwards or did you have to wait for a follow up appointment to find out outcome etc?
    Sorry, I will be hounding you now-just a lot of info out there is based on experiences in different countries so great to get an Irish system perspective.

Just want to say I have potentially underlying condition (endometriosis) and my cyst is different to dermoid cyst from what I can gather so more risk of damage/threat to fertility for me-just dont want anyone else to panic who may have different type of cyst :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

starlight1 wrote: »
    Thanks GeeG, its really reassuring to hear from someone whos been through the same surgery. Congratulations on your little boy :) I'm also v concerned about fertility as depending how the surgery goes and if there is an underlying condition it could make things more difficult. Think its hard not being able to prepare as I wont know until I come around what they have done and what damage is there

I'm pretty sure MRI showed cyst is within my ovary (How is that even possible considering the size of it!?) so I will have to consent to laparoscopy, laparotomy, cystectomy and possible ovary removal. trying to not overly worry about possible outcomes at mo as I have no control over it and won't know before I go under! They will also check tubes aswell to see if they are okay or not.

If you dont mind me asking a couple of questions about the laparotomy?:
    • Did you have stitches or staples and are they removed before you leave hospital?
    • did you have catheter in and when did it come out? (Im a bit freaked out by this for some reason :o)
    • did your doc speak to you afterwards or did you have to wait for a follow up appointment to find out outcome etc?
    Sorry, I will be hounding you now-just a lot of info out there is based on experiences in different countries so great to get an Irish system perspective.

Just want to say I have potentially underlying condition (endometriosis) and my cyst is different to dermoid cyst from what I can gather so more risk of damage/threat to fertility for me-just dont want anyone else to panic who may have different type of cyst :o

No problem at all, any questions I can answer for you I am more than happy to do so.
    I had stitches, dissolvable stitches so no taking them out.
    Yes, I had a cathater. This was a little worry of mine too but it is a god send. :) you go to sleep without it and you won't even know it is there. Getting it out just feels a little funny but not sore by any means.
    A doctor(maybe not the head honcho) but one of their team will come around to you, maybe not until the day you are being discharged but they will check your stitches etc before you go and you can ask them questions then about what they saw etc. Obviously you will know after your surgery what they actually did in there.
    Mine was very attached to my ovary and as I said above they did not know of they would have to remove my ovary or not which is obviously not something u want to hear. BUT a lovely female member of the gynae team explained to me before my surgery that if one had to be removed it does not cut it 50/50, as in it doesn't half your chances of ovulation/concieving. Your second ovary actually kicks it up a notch so to speak and compensates for the other one and it works at about 70%(I hope that makes sense, I am typing as I think here ha ha)

Again, ask any questions you want. Try and stay away from Google :)

Lizzyjp wrote: »
    Thanks so much ladies for the feed back. The cyst is putting pressure on my bladder which is painful and every second period or so is horrific. I'm going public and wrote letters to all dublin hospitals. Holles st said they could see me in Jan then the coombe said next month. Really hoping the surgery waiting time isn't too long as my gynae here (south africa) said he's worried it might twist around the ovary and kill it. I'm so tired of looking and feeling 6 months pregnant. I have no energy and I'm bloated as hell especially after I eat! Did anyone else have this?!? I think the cyst has grown even bigger since my last appointment as I'm needing to pee more and more. Thanks again for the help and info. I didn't consider open surgery but now preparing myself for it just incase.

Oh Lizzyjp I feel your pain-ditto with the symptoms! sporting a lovely 6mths pregnant bump (without the baby!) and Im not skinny anyway :P, awful bloating too to the level where I feel like my tummy is gonna explode (motilium helps but doesnt compeletely solve), getting up in the night to pee which I never did before and just generally drained and not myself. It was actually the period pain that made me book the initial gynae appt as it was so bad I would pass out some months. I just want it out now and am sure you are the same

I hope that the coombe are proactive and prioritise your surgery, the fact that it is so big and impacting daily should have an influence too..My advice would just be as assertive as you can at your initial appointment and have a little history written down so you can feel prepared and make sure you say what you need to. I know its a different hospital to where mine was but imagine some of the procedures will be the same. Oh and bring copies of your scan/ultrasound pics from your gynae also as I did this and think it helped.

No problem at all, any questions I can answer for you I am more than happy to do so.
    I had stitches, dissolvable stitches so no taking them out.
    Yes, I had a cathater. This was a little worry of mine too but it is a god send. :) you go to sleep without it and you won't even know it is there. Getting it out just feels a little funny but not sore by any means.
    A doctor(maybe not the head honcho) but one of their team will come around to you, maybe not until the day you are being discharged but they will check your stitches etc before you go and you can ask them questions then about what they saw etc. Obviously you will know after your surgery what they actually did in there.
    Mine was very attached to my ovary and as I said above they did not know of they would have to remove my ovary or not which is obviously not something u want to hear. BUT a lovely female member of the gynae team explained to me before my surgery that if one had to be removed it does not cut it 50/50, as in it doesn't half your chances of ovulation/concieving. Your second ovary actually kicks it up a notch so to speak and compensates for the other one and it works at about 70%(I hope that makes sense, I am typing as I think here ha ha)

Again, ask any questions you want. Try and stay away from Google :)

haha Google is not my friend lately!!too many horror stories but am actually fairly good at filtering the information :pac: This thread is a godsend cos at least your hearing real experiences and Im the type of person who likes to plan/be informed as much as I can and its the random questions about things like stitches and the catheter etc that only someone who has been through it will understand

Thanks so much, you've really put my mind at ease and the info about the 2nd ovary compensating to a certain extent is great to hear. Thats presuming (thinking positively!) that my right one will be okay and hopefully tube will be too. I got such a fright after initial scan as the cyst was so big and stretching across that they actually werent sure which ovary it was coming from but the MRI seemed to show that it is definitely originating from the left so at least they have much more info about what they are dealing with before the surgery

Its so weird to think all this is going on inside such a small space :p

haha Google is not my friend lately!!too many horror stories but am actually fairly good at filtering the information :pac: This thread is a godsend cos at least your hearing real experiences and Im the type of person who likes to plan/be informed as much as I can and its the random questions about things like stitches and the catheter etc that only someone who has been through it will understand

Thanks so much, you've really put my mind at ease and the info about the 2nd ovary compensating to a certain extent is great to hear. Thats presuming (thinking positively!) that my right one will be okay and hopefully tube will be too. I got such a fright after initial scan as the cyst was so big and stretching across that they actually werent sure which ovary it was coming from but the MRI seemed to show that it is definitely originating from the left so at least they have much more info about what they are dealing with before the surgery

Its so weird to think all this is going on inside such a small space :p

Any questions you have, write them down and bring them into your next appointment. It is all a little overwhelming when they are telling you all this and I used to forget any questions I had :) I think(no fault to them) the gynaes forget because they are dealing with these things on a daily basis that we actually don't have a clue what they are talking about :)
    I know it is easy for me to say but try and relax. X

• Advertisement

Any questions you have, write them down and bring them into your next appointment. It is all a little overwhelming when they are telling you all this and I used to forget any questions I had :) I think(no fault to them) the gynaes forget because they are dealing with these things on a daily basis that we actually don't have a clue what they are talking about :)
    I know it is easy for me to say but try and relax. X

ah cheers, will do my best! you know what you're talking about so its good to hear.

think you're right that sometimes gynaes forget that things might need to be translated for us mere mortals so no harm in being prepared with questions etc

I think next time Im in will be for surgery-thats the plan anyway-referred on in august as urgent so thought I would be done and dusted by now..little did I know-its just the waiting thats hard but hopefully won't be too much longer

Thanks for all your advice :)

ah cheers, will do my best! you know what you're talking about so its good to hear.

think you're right that sometimes gynaes forget that things might need to be translated for us mere mortals so no harm in being prepared with questions etc

I think next time Im in will be for surgery-thats the plan anyway-referred on in august as urgent so thought I would be done and dusted by now..little did I know-its just the waiting thats hard but hopefully won't be too much longer

Thanks for all your advice :)

I know the morning of both my ops a member of the gynae team came around to explains what's what and for you to sign consent forms so just bombard them with questions then :)
    Hopefully you will be called soon. The very best of luck with everything, keep us posted anyway and any more questions I'll try and answer them!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lizzyjp

Thanks so much ladies, I've forgotten how amazingly friendly and helpful the irish are! South africans are super (considering I married one!!) But they've got nothing on us irish! Ok so I'm hoping as I managed to secure an appointment so quickly that perhaps surgery can be organised as quick? Probably wishful thinking! I'm considering going to both appointments coombe and holles st and see which can see me quickest? I'm so out of touch with the public health system. I'm really over this cyst and just want it out. I haven't even been married a year yet and 3 weeks after the wedding I had my gall bladder removed. Ok another question, do you generally have a consultation with the guynae and then get a date for surgery or how does it work? Also going public if its laparotomy and have to stay a few nights is it expensive? I'm feeling so much better reading all your comments thanks again for all your advice and tips. Xx

I know the morning of both my ops a member of the gynae team came around to explains what's what and for you to sign consent forms so just bombard them with questions then :)
    Hopefully you will be called soon. The very best of luck with everything, keep us posted anyway and any more questions I'll try and answer them!:)

Thanks so much and am sure it wont be the last of my random questions!

Will keep ye updated anyway and hopefully like your previous posts it will help someone else down the line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

Hi,

Just catching up with this thread and, wow, I can't believe how long you're having to wait to get the cysts removed. I was diagnosed with a serous cystadenoma late last year. Went to the gp with no symptoms apart from a rapidly expanding stomach. Over the week or so that I was waiting for a scan it started to put pressure on everything so by the time it came to the scan it was potentially a 28x18x9cms dermoid cyst (surgeon thought he saw teeth in there) Straight into A& E and it was out two days later.

I have a lovely scar below my bikini line as well, but only realised how lucky I was to get away with that when I was talking to the Doctor weeks later. They thought they'd have to open me right up at one stage.

Definitely make sure that you are tanked up on painkillers. It took me quite a while to get back to normal with regard to pain and the would, but the immediate weight loss was almost worth it! (only realised how sick I'd been when I saw what weight I really was without the cyst!

Ovaries were fine and I was pregnant three months later. Unfortunately, lost that pregnancy, but seeing how number two is going at the moment.

• Advertisement

...forgot the catheter bit..... Strange but worth it not to have to move.

Did have to retrain myself how to go to the loo though after it came out, I remember having to specifically try to figure out which muscles did what so that I could actually go (probably tmi...)

Thanks so much ladies, I've forgotten how amazingly friendly and helpful the irish are! South africans are super (considering I married one!!) But they've got nothing on us irish! Ok so I'm hoping as I managed to secure an appointment so quickly that perhaps surgery can be organised as quick? Probably wishful thinking! I'm considering going to both appointments coombe and holles st and see which can see me quickest? I'm so out of touch with the public health system. I'm really over this cyst and just want it out. I haven't even been married a year yet and 3 weeks after the wedding I had my gall bladder removed. Ok another question, do you generally have a consultation with the guynae and then get a date for surgery or how does it work? Also going public if its laparotomy and have to stay a few nights is it expensive? I'm feeling so much better reading all your comments thanks again for all your advice and tips. Xx

Lizzy so sorry for late response-I only saw your post now for some reason!

Again, Im not much further ahead than you and every case is different so it may be a different experience for you. but this is the way it worked for me:
    had private gynae consult (not in hosp) as I was concerned about symptoms for a while-appointment in June-she referred me on to hospital gynae outpatients. (you've skipped this bit!)because of size of cyst they saw me in about 2 weeks (this was v quick as when I rang enquiring had they got referral and asked about waiting times they said 4-6 mths if urgent and 12-18mths for routine appointment) so they treated me as a priority and mine is smaller than yours (haha that sounds weird:p).

1st gynae appointment was with one of consultants team-she was lovely, took history etc, lots of detail, internal exam. At that appointment she mentioned surgery and possibly endometriosis (because my cyst looks like the type that you get with endo so not a dermoid). I brought copies of scans from gynae with me too. They then referred me for bloods and MRI. as my bloods came back elevated (can be typical in endometriosis and some other types of cysts) they then pushed MRI forward so had this about 3-4 weeks after initial appointment. Purpose of MRI was to get a closer look at cyst-size, type, location so that they could be more informed about surgery.

follow up appointment with gynae about a week later when results back and this is when she told me about surgery and high risk of laparotomy. I was put on the waiting list as urgent (beginning of august) and Im still waiting for a date! My consultant has been away for about 6 weeks though which probably hasnt helped. again my hospital is not in dublin so I would imagine things might move quicker for you (hopefully!)

If I were you I would definitely keep both appointments and see which can get you to surgery quicker (maybe dont let them know that)-least then you have the option of both and hopefully because of your level of discomfort and size of cyst they will move quickly enough.Im from Dublin originally and wish I had looked into being referred in there at the time but wasnt expecting to be waiting as long

Hope that isnt too much information but might be helpful to know what to expect, though every hospital is probably a bit different.

One word of advice, be assertive, dont hold back on your symptoms, the impact etc. In July I was much better than I am now so didnt push it too much and my symptoms are just getting worse and worse. Im like you and just want this out. Keep in touch, great to have someone to chat to :)

otwb wrote: »
    Hi,

Just catching up with this thread and, wow, I can't believe how long you're having to wait to get the cysts removed. I was diagnosed with a serous cystadenoma late last year. Went to the gp with no symptoms apart from a rapidly expanding stomach. Over the week or so that I was waiting for a scan it started to put pressure on everything so by the time it came to the scan it was potentially a 28x18x9cms dermoid cyst (surgeon thought he saw teeth in there) Straight into A& E and it was out two days later.

I have a lovely scar below my bikini line as well, but only realised how lucky I was to get away with that when I was talking to the Doctor weeks later. They thought they'd have to open me right up at one stage.

Definitely make sure that you are tanked up on painkillers. It took me quite a while to get back to normal with regard to pain and the would, but the immediate weight loss was almost worth it! (only realised how sick I'd been when I saw what weight I really was without the cyst!

Ovaries were fine and I was pregnant three months later. Unfortunately, lost that pregnancy, but seeing how number two is going at the moment.
    otwb wrote: »
    ...forgot the catheter bit..... Strange but worth it not to have to move.

Did have to retrain myself how to go to the loo though after it came out, I remember having to specifically try to figure out which muscles did what so that I could actually go (probably tmi...)

Hi otwb
    thanks for the reply (and the sympathy!). the waiting is a killer alright, I never though Id be waiting this long

Its great to hear from people who have experienced it and no info is tmi!my motto is the more informed I am, the better and it helps knowing what to expect

Im resigning myself to having open surgery and that way if they do manage to do it through keyhole it will be a bonus when I come around.

Sorry about your loss and I hope everything goes well for you this time and you are feeling well.
    Theres a risk Im going to lose the ovary as well so Im really worried about fertility, they will check my tubes and the other ovary so praying theres not too much damage.

and thanks for the feedback about the catheter-I dont know why thats freaking me out so much!

Just on the weightloss thing, did you notice a big difference after? My cyst isnt nearly as big as yours but Im struggling to fit into clothes now, its just so damn uncomfortable. I think it has to be the cyst as its all around my belly. havent put on weight anywhere else.

sorry lizzy forgot to respond to this bit:

Just on cost thing-Im public too and so far visits/consultations etc no charge.(except private visit with 1st gynae which I paid for) Hospital wise consultations/visits/tests etc have been free.I think there is a blanket charge of €75 per day for hospital stay that you will be billed for when you're discharged

Im not sure about your situation as I know you're in sa so maybe just worth doing a bit of research so you dont get landed with a big bill! presuming you would be covered but I dont really know. since this Im so angry at myself for not having health insurance despite being lucky enough to be working since I left college

Just on the weightloss thing, did you notice a big difference after? My cyst isnt nearly as big as yours but Im struggling to fit into clothes now, its just so damn uncomfortable. I think it has to be the cyst as its all around my belly. havent put on weight anywhere else.

Gone almost immediately (can't remember the first day or two!) the four month pregnant look and squeezing into sloppy tracksuits and dresses disappeared and back to normal clothes that were loose :)

Hi starlight,

No problem, I know I don't even notice others have responded until I check the thread. Thanks for all your help and assistance, its really encouraging. Also thank you to otwb for your experience. Nice to read exactly what happens and how. I'm trying to keep positive and hope it gets removed quick secretly hoping it'll be before christmas but not getting my hopes up. At this point my periods are unbearable and the pressure on my bladder is causing frequent bladder infections. I'm curious to know if this monster has increased in size. 15cm beginning of october. Judging by the size of my tummy and the pain and constant bloating I think its still growing. Will definitely subtly keep both appointments and see what comes of both. Not too long to go until my appt @ the coombe. Will keep you all posted. Starlight can't you get referred even now to dublin? You can print off a referral letter off the coombe website and post it to them. That's what I did. If you have all the details from your gynae and scans send it all. Even the original referral letter, ask for a copy and send it.

Hi starlight,

No problem, I know I don't even notice others have responded until I check the thread. Thanks for all your help and assistance, its really encouraging. Also thank you to otwb for your experience. Nice to read exactly what happens and how. I'm trying to keep positive and hope it gets removed quick secretly hoping it'll be before christmas but not getting my hopes up. At this point my periods are unbearable and the pressure on my bladder is causing frequent bladder infections. I'm curious to know if this monster has increased in size. 15cm beginning of october. Judging by the size of my tummy and the pain and constant bloating I think its still growing. Will definitely subtly keep both appointments and see what comes of both. Not too long to go until my appt @ the coombe. Will keep you all posted. Starlight can't you get referred even now to dublin? You can print off a referral letter off the coombe website and post it to them. That's what I did. If you have all the details from your gynae and scans send it all. Even the original referral letter, ask for a copy and send it.

ah thanks for the encouragement lizzy, I think at this stage I might just wait it out unless something changes. I would imagine Id at least have to have another initial consultation and then be scheduled for surgery and cant imagine it would be any quicker at this stage than where I am..should have really thought it through at the beginning but sure hindsight is a wonderful thing

I really hope that you are sorted before Christmas and with those symptoms they should take notice and be proactive.think positively! Ive been lucky enough to not be suffering with bladder infections, though I am peeing a lot more than I used too..My periods are also horrible but I think that might be the endometriosis which they are pretty sure I have.

I wonder how quick the cysts grow?suppose its an individual thing and they cant really say. Im kind of interested to know how much bigger mine is now too, it has to be growing-my stomach is just getting bigger and bigger and having pressure/pain nearly continuosly now. It makes you wonder how it even fits in there! If mine is the type they think it is every time I have a period it is growing and Ive had 4 since last MRI.

Mind yourself and its great that your appointment is soon, feels like theres light at the end of the tunnel now Im sure

Thanks for your help starlight! Will let you know how the 13th goes let me know if you hear anything about your upcoming date too. Out of interest where abouts are you?

Thanks for your help starlight! Will let you know how the 13th goes let me know if you hear anything about your upcoming date too. Out of interest where abouts are you?

I'm in Meath, work in Dublin though and hospital wise Drogheda is where I'm attending

Will definitely let you know if I hear anything and please let me know how you get on too, hopefully the 13th will fly in for you:)

and if you need a rant before then feel free ;)

Hi everyone,

Had my appointment with Dr Cliondna Murphy yesterday at the Coombe. Found the whole experience wonderful. She did an ultrasound and examined me sent me for bloods and told me to come in next month 28th Jan for the op! Totally impressed. She said they will try to do laprascopy but may have to do laparotomy. Will let you know how that goes.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone,

Had my appointment with Dr Cliondna Murphy yesterday at the Coombe. Found the whole experience wonderful. She did an ultrasound and examined me sent me for bloods and told me to come in next month 28th Jan for the op! Totally impressed. She said they will try to do laprascopy but may have to do laparotomy. Will let you know how that goes.

That's great news Lizzy! am delighted you had such a positive experience and to know the op will be next month is just fantastic :)

Just as a matter of interest did ultrasound show that cyst has grown much? I had ultrasound in June/MRI in August and am convinced mine is bigger since then

Hi starlight,

To be honest she only did a quick bed side ultra sound. When I asked her if it had grown she didn't give me an exact answer. All she said was that size can vary from gynae to gynae. I think she felt like I was stepping on her toes a bit as I had seen a number of gynaes and kept asking lots of questions. Im a bit worried now as Ive landed a new job starting beginning Jan. I don't know how long Ill need off. Ill be working in a crèche in a room with 11 two year olds. Can anyone give an indication as to how long Ill need? Dr Murphy is hoping to do key hole. My boss said she will phone me the day after the op to see if Im up for coming in???? Not likely!!

Hi starlight,

To be honest she only did a quick bed side ultra sound. When I asked her if it had grown she didn't give me an exact answer. All she said was that size can vary from gynae to gynae. I think she felt like I was stepping on her toes a bit as I had seen a number of gynaes and kept asking lots of questions. Im a bit worried now as Ive landed a new job starting beginning Jan. I don't know how long Ill need off. Ill be working in a crèche in a room with 11 two year olds. Can anyone give an indication as to how long Ill need? Dr Murphy is hoping to do key hole. My boss said she will phone me the day after the op to see if Im up for coming in???? Not likely!!

From what I remember it was 6 days recovery for keyhole and 6 weeks if they need to open you more. Try giving the hospital/doctor a call and they should give you a timeframe.

Hi starlight,

Hi Lizzyjp,
    hope you had a lovely Christmas, wont be too long now until your sorted

I think owtb is spot on with her suggested recovery times-ties in with any of the research I have done and I think recovery seems to be such an individual thing aswell that you really dont want to be putting yourself under too much pressure whilst trying to recover.

Hopefully your boss will be supportive and flexible and give you what time you need off. The job is physical enough and in a toddler room particularly so with lifting/bending/on the floor etc and in you'll need to be properly recovered I'd imagine before you go back.

Well looks like I will be cyst-less in a matter of days :)

After a crazy week where I had a call earlier in the week at 6pm to say there might be a bed for me the following morning (with no prior contact/long story but letter sent and not received ). talk about quick decision making and getting organised only to ring the following morning to the news of no bed :mad:

So hospital now referring some cancellations/patients who've been waiting a while to another hospital-me being one of them so I will be admitted Saturday morning for surgery that day..

A mixture of anxiety/nerves/relief but after a particularly painful week I just want it out now . ..will post my experience here anyway in the hope that it will be helpful to others as previous posters have been to me ;)

Great news starlight delighted for you. Looking forward to hearing how it goes. Which hospital are seeing you? Imagine we'll both be cyst free by feb!! Please let me know every detail!x

Great news starlight delighted for you. Looking forward to hearing how it goes. Which hospital are seeing you? Imagine we'll both be cyst free by feb!! Please let me know every detail!x

ah thanks Lizzyjp. am being transferred from Drogheda public to hermitage clinic/hospital in Lucan. Think they are mainly private patients but seems to be practice if people waiting so long on public list that they sometimes transfer in privately and I was cancelled at the last minute this week along with others. hence why the op is being done on a Saturday I presume? I worked out Im 5 months now since going on the surgery list as urgent! have been struggling lately so am so relieved its happening so quick and less time for the nerves to kick in

I thought you would be giving me the words of wisdom as you were more likely to be sorted first. But I will promise to try to the same (I might PM some of the uglier details if there are any!) either way as soon as I feel up to it I will let you know how it goes

trying to prepare for open surgery but secretly hoping it will be keyhole..either way I'm not gonna find out till I come around and all will be revealed then about what they find, hopefully

Hi Lizzyjp and any others!,

Just wanted to post and let you know how I got on. All went really well surgery wise. Overall a very positive experience and was looked after really well.. Heres some detail as it might be helpful for you in knowing what to expect:
    Fasted from midnight the night before admission. Arrived at hospital at 10am as instructed. I actually expected a lot of waiting around during the day but things actually moved very quickly and I was in theatre @ 1215. This was great as it meant nerves stayed at bay pretty much. From admission to theatre there were a number of checks carried out-consent, bp check, urine test, weight, height, listening to my chest, medical history, allergies, confirming what I was here for etc. I also had to change into gown and lovely disposable knickers! had to put on special toe-thigh surgery socks to reduce chances of blood clot...they measure your ankles/legs for these to make sure they are snug enough and they were very snug but not too uncomfortable.
    Before long it was time to say goodbye to my husband and nurse walked me up to theatre area. final checks etc, removed bobbin in hair (no metal allowed), met anaesthetist (such a lovely man who put me at ease instantly), he inserted cannula in hand, was fine barely even felt it. Met the consultant who was carrying out surgery (My first time meeting him) and quick chat about surgery/what if's etc. He seemed pretty confident at this point that he would be able to do keyhole. Literally all I remember then was walking into theatre, someone putting shoe covers over my slippers and me commenting great I can keep my slippers on and that was it I was gone
    next memory is waking up in recovery area. Not sure how long I was in theatre for but I think was between 2-2 & 1/2 hours. Was in quite a bit of pain and also felt very sick. Had to have injection for sickness which kicked in very quickly and also upped pain meds..Be vocal at this point if you feel sick or are in a lot of pain as there's lots they can give you. This was probably the highest level of pain I experienced throughout the whole thing and even at that it was very manageable with meds. Very closely monitored here and I was mainly drifting in and out of sleep. Surgeon also came to speak to me here to report on how surgery went/what he found. He was commenting how big the cyst was and was trying to show me pictures of it but luckily I had no specs on so couldn't see! After a while I was wheeled up to a ward and they phoned hubby to tell him he could come in.
    I was kept in 1 night as they had to do bit more than they thought so wanted to keep an eye on me. As suspected prior to surgery I have been diagnosed with endometriosis and will require follow up treatment. For a straightforward cyst removal I think it will be likely you would be released the same day unless they need to do open surgery.
    Was discharged the following day at lunchtime with plenty of meds and inital sick cert for 2 weeks. I have 3 incisions-one at the bellybutton, one directly below it on the bikini line and one on the left hand side. Nurse checked them before I was discharged and changed them to waterproof ones. dissolvable stitches which I was told should go themselves in 4-5 days and dressings can come off after 10 days. Thankfully no problems at all so far with wounds/incisions so they seem to be healing well. 1 week on have reduced meds I am taking and managing fine. am up, moving around no problems and generally feeling very well. Was told to avoid heavy lifting for 2 weeks.
    Oh I bled for about 5 days aswell so make sure to take pads with you. Day after Op I had no sign of bleeding or any gas pain that Id read about but bang both kicked in the following day though again nothing too bad at all.
    Sorry I have probably shared a bit too much detail but I know I found the detail very helpful in my preparation so hopefully this will do the same for someone else . If anybody has any questions at all, feel free to post or PM me :)

Hey Starlight (and anyone else who still reads here)

Op went to plan. Had it done with keyhole and it was in fact a simple cyst not a dermoid as I was previously told. Both ovaries are still inside which I was delighted to hear although the one is stretched a bit?! I insisted on being let home that evening (hate sleeping a night in hospitals!) have been fine with regards to pain although pretty sore when Im up and walking and the gas is a killer!!! My goodness! Day 3 post surgery and Im still struggling with the gas. My period was due on the day of the op but it never came and I've had no bleeding? Is this normal?

• Advertisement

Hey Starlight (and anyone else who still reads here)

Op went to plan. Had it done with keyhole and it was in fact a simple cyst not a dermoid as I was previously told. Both ovaries are still inside which I was delighted to hear although the one is stretched a bit?! I insisted on being let home that evening (hate sleeping a night in hospitals!) have been fine with regards to pain although pretty sore when Im up and walking and the gas is a killer!!! My goodness! Day 3 post surgery and Im still struggling with the gas. My period was due on the day of the op but it never came and I've had no bleeding? Is this normal?

Hi Lizzy, delighted the surgery went well and that both ovaries are still intact.. I wouldn't worry if one is stretched a bit, main thing is they managed to save both so thats great news.
    I wouldnt worry too much about the bleeding thing-I think normal is all relative and an individual thing. all that rummaging around inside is bound to interfere with your cycle depending on what they did. I bled for about 5 days after surgery (didnt begin until a day or so after) and I was due my period the following week which never came so think it just affects people in different ways.
    On the gas thing I found some relief from motilium if thats something you have or can get..also found moving a little also eased it a bit. Other tips I had heard about to help with gas were peppermint tea and mints..I think its a case that it just needs to work its way out and only time will do that..Hopefully your feeling a bit better today. Do you have any follow up scheduled with the hospital? How did you find the coombe?

Advertisement