Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermoid Ovarian Cyst, Going to cause problems?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Hey ziggy, I was the exact same as you. I couldnt believe how crap i felt after it. Was very very sore. Within two days though, I didnt need the painkillers (they made me feel v sick). I was still sore but it was manageable pain. Hope you feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

yellow hen wrote: »
    Hey ziggy, I was the exact same as you. I couldnt believe how crap i felt after it. Was very very sore. Within two days though, I didnt need the painkillers (they made me feel v sick). I was still sore but it was manageable pain. Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks Yellow hen
    I took a few Buscopan for the cramps last night and they are nearly gone just feel very bruised and battered today. I'm also bleeding a bit not too sure if this is my period or just from the surgery though:confused: I can't believe how much my stomach has gone down since the cyst is gone even though it's still quite swollen from surgery .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Thanks Yellow hen
    I took a few Buscopan for the cramps last night and they are nearly gone just feel very bruised and battered today. I'm also bleeding a bit not too sure if this is my period or just from the surgery though:confused: I can't believe how much my stomach has gone down since the cyst is gone even though it's still quite swollen from surgery .

Hi, glad your surgery went well! I'd say your glad to have it over you! I got my period straight after my second surgery, I thought I was just bleeding and panicked but doc told me they had just stimulated my ovaries during surgery causing it to come on. As for the cramps, for keyhole surgery, I am sure you were told they have to put a type of gas thing into your tummy to basically blow it up, this causes cramps, some v bad. It can then move up to your shoulders which happened to me, Just keep drinking lots of water, basically flush it out of ya :D

Gee_G wrote: »
    Thanks Yellow hen

Hi, glad your surgery went well! I'd say your glad to have it over you! I got my period straight after my second surgery, I thought I was just bleeding and panicked but doc told me they had just stimulated my ovaries during surgery causing it to come on. As for the cramps, for keyhole surgery, I am sure you were told they have to put a type of gas thing into your tummy to basically blow it up, this causes cramps, some v bad. It can then move up to your shoulders which happened to me, Just keep drinking lots of water, basically flush it out of ya :D

Had totally forgotten about the sore shoulder!

yellow hen wrote: »
    Had totally forgotten about the sore shoulder!
    Yea had the sore shoulders a few hours after wasn't too bad thank god. I feel great now after my surgery have so much more energy and have even lost a few pounds:D The only thing that is still bugging me is that I'm still bleeding a bit down below. It kinda comes and goes. Would it be to do with the surgery or a ****ed up period would anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 babyelmo

Hi Guys,
    Hope you dont mind me joining this thread. Am not trying to conceive, but have been reading your posts and as I've recently been diagnosed with 'probable dermoid ovarian cyst' following mri last week, I m intereseted to hear all your experiences. I have my appointment with consultant on Monday, and am sooooo nervous. Had ultrasound done a few weeks ago, which said it was probably a 'fibroid', it's 7x8cm in size and radiologist referred me for the mri. Anyhow mri result, now saying it's not a fibroid, but possible dermoid cyst! just a few questions, in yer experience what kind of surgery am I looking at possibly??? Would the key-hole type be unsuitable due to size??? Also would the mri detect if it was cancerous, and would it say on report (have a copy of report but no mention of cancerous etc., but lots of medical terms I'm unsure of, but have googled them)?? Have had painful symptoms on and off around my right ovary since i had a c sect 4 years ago, hospitalised 4 times with agonising pains, twice when I was pregnant in Oct 2010, had loads of ultrasounds, transvaginal scans etc. and not one picked up on anything, so they put it down to pain from 'adhesions', but i always felt there was something strange going on with right ovary!!! Just annoyed that it took this long to diagnose, but relieved to have a 'name' and concrete reason on my pain. Just dunno what to expect from gynae appt. Monday, so would appreciate any advice, feedback, or experience. Thanks in advance girls, and hope ye are all doing well!

babyelmo wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Hope you dont mind me joining this thread. Am not trying to conceive, but have been reading your posts and as I've recently been diagnosed with 'probable dermoid ovarian cyst' following mri last week, I m intereseted to hear all your experiences. I have my appointment with consultant on Monday, and am sooooo nervous. Had ultrasound done a few weeks ago, which said it was probably a 'fibroid', it's 7x8cm in size and radiologist referred me for the mri. Anyhow mri result, now saying it's not a fibroid, but possible dermoid cyst! just a few questions, in yer experience what kind of surgery am I looking at possibly??? Would the key-hole type be unsuitable due to size??? Also would the mri detect if it was cancerous, and would it say on report (have a copy of report but no mention of cancerous etc., but lots of medical terms I'm unsure of, but have googled them)?? Have had painful symptoms on and off around my right ovary since i had a c sect 4 years ago, hospitalised 4 times with agonising pains, twice when I was pregnant in Oct 2010, had loads of ultrasounds, transvaginal scans etc. and not one picked up on anything, so they put it down to pain from 'adhesions', but i always felt there was something strange going on with right ovary!!! Just annoyed that it took this long to diagnose, but relieved to have a 'name' and concrete reason on my pain. Just dunno what to expect from gynae appt. Monday, so would appreciate any advice, feedback, or experience. Thanks in advance girls, and hope ye are all doing well!
    Hi babyelmo
    try not to worry too much it's very rare that a dermoid is cancerous. I was the exact same couldn't believe it took so long to be discovered. I had the cyst removed lat week. They removed it through Laparoscopy (keyhole), but it was bigger than they thought so they opened up half of my section scar to get it out. This is prob what they'll do with you. I feel fantastic though so glad it's out.

Hi Guys,
    Hi babyelmo
    try not to worry too much it's very rare that a dermoid is cancerous. I was the exact same couldn't believe it took so long to be discovered. I had the cyst removed lat week. They removed it through Laparoscopy (keyhole), but it was bigger than they thought so they opened up half of my section scar to get it out. This is prob what they'll do with you. I feel fantastic though so glad it's out.
    Thanks so much for your post. Just another few ques if u don't mind.... How Long did u have to stay in hospital? did they decide on procedure on your first appt with consultant, or was there more tests? Did they mention anything about doing a biopsy on the cyst or would that be usual? And also did you get to keep your ovary? Sorry for all the ques! And thanks.

Thanks so much for your post. Just another few ques if u don't mind.... How Long did u have to stay in hospital? did they decide on procedure on your first appt with consultant, or was there more tests? Did they mention anything about doing a biopsy on the cyst or would that be usual? And also did you get to keep your ovary? Sorry for all the ques! And thanks.

No probs ask away! I was only in for 1 night:) Was quite sore for a few days after but nothing like how sore it is after a section. yea after I'd the mri the very next appointment the gynae said it was to be removed. Was waiting about a month for a bed to become available. The cyst was sent off to be analysed and I'm back with the gynae in a month for the results. And kept both ovaries which is great:). Are u in Dublin?

• Advertisement

No probs ask away! I was only in for 1 night:) Was quite sore for a few days after but nothing like how sore it is after a section. yea after I'd the mri the very next appointment the gynae said it was to be removed. Was waiting about a month for a bed to become available. The cyst was sent off to be analysed and I'm back with the gynae in a month for the results. And kept both ovaries which is great:). Are u in Dublin?

No, in Galway. And thanks so much for the info. Really helping me get my head around what to expect at appt. on Monday. God it seems like a long time to wait for results of cyst. I m such a worrier, I think I ll find that a tough wait. Are u public or private? Going private as just wanna get it sorted asap, will worry bout the cost later! Glad to hear the recovery s not as bad as with section, as have 2 young kids and hate to be laid up for long.

No, in Galway. And thanks so much for the info. Really helping me get my head around what to expect at appt. on Monday. God it seems like a long time to wait for results of cyst. I m such a worrier, I think I ll find that a tough wait. Are u public or private? Going private as just wanna get it sorted asap, will worry bout the cost later! Glad to hear the recovery s not as bad as with section, as have 2 young kids and hate to be laid up for long.

I think if it was anything serious they'd let you know sooner. I went public and everything was fine. Yea you'll need to take it easy for a few days. I've a 2 year old so wasn't able to lift him etc for a few days. You'll be fine keep us updated on how you're getting on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shinnyjosiedan

hi babyelmo, i had mine done privately in UCHG by Dr Egan. Was done by laparotomy (similar to section). Was in hospital 4 nights. It's very rare that it would be cancerous but they will send it to the lab after surgery. Mine had a bit of hair and a tooth in it...yuck. Got cert for 6 wks off work cos am on my feet all day. Gynae will go through everything with you re surgery. if you're getting it done in UCHG i would get it done privately cos of shorter waiting times. Your health insurance will cover it. I was due to get it done in dec but was cancelled due to lack of beds. Eventually got it done in Jan so not too bad but have heard since that some beds have been closed due to staff shortages. Who is your cons??

hi babyelmo, i had mine done privately in UCHG by Dr Egan. Was done by laparotomy (similar to section). Was in hospital 4 nights. It's very rare that it would be cancerous but they will send it to the lab after surgery. Mine had a bit of hair and a tooth in it...yuck. Got cert for 6 wks off work cos am on my feet all day. Gynae will go through everything with you re surgery. if you're getting it done in UCHG i would get it done privately cos of shorter waiting times. Your health insurance will cover it. I was due to get it done in dec but was cancelled due to lack of beds. Eventually got it done in Jan so not too bad but have heard since that some beds have been closed due to staff shortages. Who is your cons??

Hi shinnyjosiedan, thanks for the post. My Cons is Dr. Gaffney, going private so hopefully will have it sorted by summer and be back on my feet by then. Seeing her Mon for 1 st time. Good to know how long u got cert from work, also spend a lot of work time on my feet, and coming and going a lot so would need to be in my full health for work. even though I ve heard that these are usually benign, it s still horrible waiting for the results! And thanks soggy123 for your post. Was relieved today to come across this thread, as don't know anyone else who s ever had one, and its been so reassuring hearing bout all yer experiences.

Hi shinnyjosiedan, thanks for the post. My Cons is Dr. Gaffney, going private so hopefully will have it sorted by summer and be back on my feet by then. Seeing her Mon for 1 st time. Good to know how long u got cert from work, also spend a lot of work time on my feet, and coming and going a lot so would need to be in my full health for work. even though I ve heard that these are usually benign, it s still horrible waiting for the results! And thanks soggy123 for your post. Was relieved today to come across this thread, as don't know anyone else who s ever had one, and its been so reassuring hearing bout all yer experiences.
    Sorry that was meant to be 'ziggy23', bloody predictive text :-)

I lol'd:pac::pac: I actually want this username now!

Hi again, well had my appt. with gynae today. Surgery booked for 5 weeks time to have a look inside and remove it. She also did a ca 125 blood tests, results of which I ll have next week. Googled it, and a bit freaked out to hear its a cancer marker. Although she did say its very unlikely its cancer due to my age, history and mri report, but still anxious bout it. Anyone else have this done? And is this the norm?

Cysts are rarely cancerous and dermoids are almost definitely not. I really wouldnt worry about it. They'll have you in, have it whopped out and you wont even know it happened. ;) It's genuinely fine. Good luck,

Hi again, well had my appt. with gynae today. Surgery booked for 5 weeks time to have a look inside and remove it. She also did a ca 125 blood tests, results of which I ll have next week. Googled it, and a bit freaked out to hear its a cancer marker. Although she did say its very unlikely its cancer due to my age, history and mri report, but still anxious bout it. Anyone else have this done? And is this the norm?

I presume that's a standard blood test they'd do for any cyst thats being removed. That's great that you got a date that'll fly in:) Oh and stay off google its the worse thing you can do sure I was convinced the cyst was my dead twin:eek::pac: As Yellow Hen said you'll be fine don't worry :)

I had one of those blood tests done before my op, think they are just standard in some hospitals!So try not to worry! Also, I agree with Ziggy23...Stay away from Google!! Its lethal when it comes to medical self diagnosis :-)

• Advertisement

Thanks girls for all the comments. I know I should stay off Google, dunno why I bother as know it sets my mind jumping to all sorts of conclusions. Just feeling really anxious bout results of blood test and wondering why she did it, and what if its elevated etc Was your result normal Gee gee, as I read it can be elevated even in benign cases of cysts etc and for different reasons that aren't too serious. Just terrified the secretary will say its raised when I ring, and I won't get talking to Cons, and then I ll be left wondering and thinking all sorts. Trying to keep positive, but bloody hell waiting around for results when you re anxious is so stressful!

Thanks girls for all the comments. I know I should stay off Google, dunno why I bother as know it sets my mind jumping to all sorts of conclusions. Just feeling really anxious bout results of blood test and wondering why she did it, and what if its elevated etc Was your result normal Gee gee, as I read it can be elevated even in benign cases of cysts etc and for different reasons that aren't too serious. Just terrified the secretary will say its raised when I ring, and I won't get talking to Cons, and then I ll be left wondering and thinking all sorts. Trying to keep positive, but bloody hell waiting around for results when you re anxious is so stressful!

I was just told everything was normal. I didn't ring for results, I just waited til next appointment. I kinda figured if there was anything wrong they'd have called me! If its just the secretary giving you the results and you want to know more don't be afraid to ask to speak to one of the gynae's on duty and ask them everything you wanna know. I have often done it when I had questions regarding my surgery or anything!

Hi again, well finally got ca 125 blood results today, after a very tense and stressful week worrying. All well within normal range, so was so thrilled and relieved. Now to get the bloody thing out of me now. Anxious bout op (even tho have had a c section), but actually looking forward to getting it out and getting fit and healthy again! Thanks for all your posts and reassurances, and hope yous are all keeping well?

Hi again, well finally got ca 125 blood results today, after a very tense and stressful week worrying. All well within normal range, so was so thrilled and relieved. Now to get the bloody thing out of me now. Anxious bout op (even tho have had a c section), but actually looking forward to getting it out and getting fit and healthy again! Thanks for all your posts and reassurances, and hope yous are all keeping well?

Ah thats great news babyelmo. We all fret about these things. The op will be over in no time so don't be anxious about it. X

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CandyAB

Hi there, just spotted this thread and I hope you dont mind me joining.. I had a dermoid the size of an orange removed (section cut) from my left ovary when I was 17, another dermoid (avocado size) removed (section cut) when 29 from my right ovary, both times I was getting considerable pain and it was a relief to get them removed! Had it confirmed last week that I am growing dermoids number 3 & 4 on my right ovary, they are still v tiny (cant think of a small enough food wink.gif!) but I am having niggling pain from them, so will need to speak with the doctor soon to see what to do this time. I also had a different type (just fluid filed) removed last year from my right ovary but they seem to think these new ones are dermoid.. frown.gif I am turning 33 soon and I have yet to have children, I do hope to and will probably need to start thinking seriously about it this year!
    Since my first op I have had the CA125 blood test taken once a year, this is just routine and to be honest with my family history of cancer I find it reassuring to have this taken.
    So now I have to wait and see if we are going to monitor or remove the next two.. both my ovaries have been reconstructed so hoping the right one will survive the next lot of surgery!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cherry23

Hello there ladies,

It has been so helpful already to read your posts. I found out 2 months ago that I have a 20cm dermoid on my left ovary and it is so big that they can't see my right ovary. I will be having a laparotomy in 6 weeks time, so it will be over three months that I have had to wait! I've also been going to my doctor for three years with pain and they just told me that I had IBS and there was nothing they could do and I had an ultrasound 2 years ago which picked nothing up! I must have had this for years and can't wait to get it out. I just have a few of questions:
    • What do you think the chances are that I will lose both of my ovaries?
    • How long did you have to wait for surgery?
    • Did you have bowel problems with the cyst? And if so did these problems go away after surgery?

Many many thanks for any information you can give me! I was so pleased to find this forum. :) Best of wishes to you all, whether you are anxiously waiting for your op or just waiting to get back to feeling fit and healthy.

cherry23 wrote: »
    Hello there ladies,

It has been so helpful already to read your posts. I found out 2 months ago that I have a 20cm dermoid on my left ovary and it is so big that they can't see my right ovary. I will be having a laparotomy in 6 weeks time, so it will be over three months that I have had to wait! I've also been going to my doctor for three years with pain and they just told me that I had IBS and there was nothing they could do and I had an ultrasound 2 years ago which picked nothing up! I must have had this for years and can't wait to get it out. I just have a few of questions:
    • Did you have bowel problems with the cyst? And if so did these problems go away after surgery?

Many many thanks for any information you can give me! I was so pleased to find this forum. :) Best of wishes to you all, whether you are anxiously waiting for your op or just waiting to get back to feeling fit and healthy.

Hi Cherry23
    Welcome to boards:)
    Wow thats a biggie alright but you'd be surprised how often they're able to save an ovary. Even if they have to remove one it doesn't really affect fertility etc that much. You should have a word with your consultant about it he might be able to give u an idea. I was waiting about 6 weeks for my op. Whereabouts are you and are you goin public or private?As regards the stomach problems I cannot get over the difference in me since the cyst is gone. I used to suffer from terrible Gastritis but have not had 1 bout since the op (Hope I don't jinx it!), and my periods have been regular which is so unusual for me:eek:
    Anyway keep us updated and any other questions just ask:)

cherry23 wrote: »
    Hello there ladies,

Hey!
    Regarding your ovaries, I think it just depends how attached the cyst is if they will have to remove it! I had keyhole first, then the year after had my laparotomy, but same as yourself was going to doc with different pains for a few years and I am sure it was all the cyst. I was also told I had IBS!! But personally I dont think it was IBS, maybe it was affecting my bowel somehow but now I am fine!! I had my Laparotomy 7 months ago and I am now 6 months pregnant ha ha :D
    Best of luck with your surgery, it will be fine and you will feel great once its out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cherry23

Ziggy23 and Gee_G!

Thank you so much for your replies, I've been going crazy! I posted at 5 in the morning as I couldn't sleep. It's encouraging that they can save the ovaries and that you both have had some kind of problem in the digestive area and it went away! It must be such a relief, I really think it must change quality of life a lot afterwards.
    I'm from England and going public, I think it would cost thousands of pounds to go private and there is no way I could pay that. It's also great to hear that you are pregnant!!! That is fantastic!!!

I will definitely keep you guys updated and let you know how it all goes.
    I just have a couple of more questions:

What was it like when you first woke up after surgery? Pain and anaesthetic?
    What did you eat after surgery?

• Advertisement

Waking up was fine for me, took me a while to come around properly, just kept falling asleep! If you are anything like me with my mind running away with me, don't worry you will have nothing in your mouth or anything waking up!(I think the nurses found me amusing as this was one of my biggest worries!!) Just the IV in your hand/ arm, you won't feel much pain at first but dont worry they will keep pains meds well topped up!!I was absolutely starving when I woke up properly...always am :D they gave me water and I think bread and jam maybe and I then asked for sandwich!!

Advertisement