Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermoid Ovarian Cyst, Going to cause problems?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cherry23

haha!! Yes!! I'm glad its not just me, I have been imagining all sorts, some days I feel fine with it all and some days my mind just runs with it. And not eating for eight hours will be quite the task :pac: , I can't believe I still have an appetite with this thing, but some how it still ploughs on :D

I've also been having skin problems, have you or anyone else had this? I've got acne and some patches of really dry skin, one patch on my eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I am exactly the same,I convinced myself I was fine with it but had a million and one scenarios going through my head but I can honestly say it all went 100% :D I didn't experience any problems with skin really but it could well be hormonal, caused by the cyst. If you have the acne along your jawline for example that is a sign its hormonal!
    You'll be glad to have it all done!
    Oh and in regards to not eating for 8 hours...I had what was like the last supper @ about 11.00pm the night before, got take away and stuffed myself just in time for bed, the next morning I only gave myself enough time to get up and get dressed and away I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I wasn't allowed to eat anything except soup, jelly etc the day before. I thought that was the norm before surgery and general anaestethic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Yellow Hen yes I had to fast the night before too.
    Cherry 123 the anaesthetic is fine they give you an injection and honestly the next thing you'll remember is waking up!! I was fine as Gee G said you feel very drowsy for a few hours after. My voice also went for a while too. Sometimes you can feel a bit of nausea after but it's nothing to worry about at all. Honestly you'll be fine just think how great it will be to have the 'alien' as I used to call mine out :D

yellow hen wrote: »
    I wasn't allowed to eat anything except soup, jelly etc the day before. I thought that was the norm before surgery and general anaestethic?

The day before?I wasn't told this either time! Just to fast from 12 the night before so I made the most of it!:D
    ziggy23 wrote: »
    Yellow Hen yes I had to fast the night before too.
    Cherry 123 the anaesthetic is fine they give you an injection and honestly the next thing you'll remember is waking up!! I was fine as Gee G said you feel very drowsy for a few hours after. My voice also went for a while too. Sometimes you can feel a bit of nausea after but it's nothing to worry about at all. Honestly you'll be fine just think how great it will be to have the 'alien' as I used to call mine out :D

"Alien" is right, my sister called mine Gizmo and Pacman!! :D

• Advertisement

cherry23 wrote: »
    haha!! Yes!! I'm glad its not just me, I have been imagining all sorts, some days I feel fine with it all and some days my mind just runs with it. And not eating for eight hours will be quite the task :pac: , I can't believe I still have an appetite with this thing, but some how it still ploughs on :D

I've also been having skin problems, have you or anyone else had this? I've got acne and some patches of really dry skin, one patch on my eyelid.
    Meant to reply about this. I've suffered from Acne since puberty. It got so severe after I had my son I had to go on Roaccutane to get rid of it. I have PCOS which I think caused this but I'd say the cyst didnt help either. Is your acne bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 babyelmo

Hi girls, I m back to give quick update. Had my surgery yest morning, was lucky as it was quiet here so very little waiting around. Once I went into theatre I got so nervous , and felt like I was gonna pass out, which I did from the general anaesthetic. Hadn't realised how soon it would happen. Just remember being so nervous when I got in seeing all the medical staff gowned up, then remember nothing until I was out of the theatre in side room. About 1 hour 15 mins later. Had the camera thing first, laproscopy, then the laprotomy (apoolgies for spelling!), which they cut in through my old c sect scar. It was s dermoid cyst (originally she wasn't 100% sure as ultrasound had said a fibroid and mri said ovarian cyst), but was 8x12 cm so larger than I thought, so she had to take right ovary also. Anyway am so relieved it s all over, just to recover now. Am still in recovery room, moving to my own room this morn after drs come round. Will be walking there, getting catheter removed and hopefully getting something to eat or drink. Wasn't allowed any drink even since the surgery, so have been in iv. Not sure why, only that they said could make.me sick. So parched & throat so dry, just dying for my cuppa. Told I d be here 5 nights, so hopefully will be out for the 'heatwave' that's.coming! Any other ques for anyone due surgery just ask. I was so dreading it all, but went better than I expected and am now so relieved. Good wishes to u all.X

Hello Babyelmo! Glad to hear that it is all over and went well for you. I hope you are looking forward to recovering and feeling loads better. I better it will be really good to be home.
    I can't wait to get my op out of the way too. I've been trying to work out what to wear in hospital, as I guess it is too uncomfortable for even pyjama trousers? I think I need to find a big t-shirt with something really ridiculous on it like a sad looking pug :D What did you take with you to the hospital?

sending good wishes to you right now!

Ziggy23! The acne isn't too bad, it only becomes bad just before my period and then they quickly fade just afterwards, I normally get about 4 or 5 big painful spots. Do you find that your cycle affects it too? I was told that taking the pill can help with acne and also with preventing these ALIENS ;) ! Have you tried this? I've tried but the pill made me feel really sick everytime, but maybe it is the cyst? I'm trying to think of a name for my bad boy, I think I will just call him s*** bag because it is causing me a world of pain today.

Ziggy23! The acne isn't too bad, it only becomes bad just before my period and then they quickly fade just afterwards, I normally get about 4 or 5 big painful spots. Do you find that your cycle affects it too? I was told that taking the pill can help with acne and also with preventing these ALIENS ;) ! Have you tried this? I've tried but the pill made me feel really sick everytime, but maybe it is the cyst? I'm trying to think of a name for my bad boy, I think I will just call him s*** bag because it is causing me a world of pain today.

Babyelmo, delighted your surgery went well and wishing you a speedy recovery:)

Cherry 123, my cyst wasn't discovered until recently. Had an ultrasound done years ago and was told my left ovary was enlarged. I think this was the cyst though:rolleyes:
    I really don't know if the pill causes these cysts. I have polycystic ovaries too so I put a lot of my symptoms like acne down to this. Ha ****bag is a good name:D

• Advertisement

Hi again, thanks for the good wishes girls. Doing so much better today, and pain not too bad at all, just gotta do everything in slow motion. Cherry123, I would def bring nighties ( which I didn't do), as u gotta wear those stocking things for a few days, which I find really warm, so pj bottoms over them would be very warm. Maybe pjs then for when u don't have to wear the tights. Also bring a towel, shower gel, toothbrush in your small bag, until u get your case in ( that is if you re doing it that way). And vaseline for your lips, as they will get quite dry. When s your op scheduled for again?

The doctor said my operation will be end of June/ beginning of July so I still have a long time to wait. :mad:

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely take some nighties then! Keep us updated on your recovery!

Ziggy23 I can't believe how bad they are at diagnosing ovarian cysts, especially when they seem so common. Well if I find away to get rid of acne for good i'll let you know.

Cherry23, I know the wait feels like an eternity but it won't be long coming round. :-) .Just quick ques for all you that have had either, or both, a laporscopy and laporotomy, how long it took for the swelling of abdomen to go??? I know I m only 6 days post-op, but I would ve thought that having a grapefruit size cyst, an ovary, 2 days fasting, and poor appetite since, that I would ve lost a few pounds, not put it up!!! Not fitting in any of my proper clothes still, & look about 6 mths pregnant, and really wanna start feeling good about myself soon, and wearing some proper clothes d be a start!

The doctor said my operation will be end of June/ beginning of July so I still have a long time to wait. :mad:

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely take some nighties then! Keep us updated on your recovery!

Ziggy23 I can't believe how bad they are at diagnosing ovarian cysts, especially when they seem so common. Well if I find away to get rid of acne for good i'll let you know.

Roacctuane is the only thing that got rid of it for me. It is quite an intense medication, dries the **** out of your skin and is only used as a last resort really but by god does it work:eek: See how your skin is after your surgery. Acne is caused by so many different things it's hard to pinpoint what the exact cause is.

Thanks Babyelmo, yeah i'm sure it will come round soon enough.
    And thanks for the advice on the acne Ziggy23, I will bring that up with my GP if it doesn't go away after the surgery.

Well fingers crossed for those still waiting and recovering, hope all is well.

Hello Ladies,
    I had my pre op today which made things seem very real.
    I was asked if I would prefer to have morphine or an epidural, how was your experience? What would you recommend? I heard that morphine can make you sick, but then again not sure I fancy a needle in the back??

Hope you are all doing well, lots of love.

Hello Ladies,
    I had my pre op today which made things seem very real.
    I was asked if I would prefer to have morphine or an epidural, how was your experience? What would you recommend? I heard that morphine can make you sick, but then again not sure I fancy a needle in the back??

Hope you are all doing well, lots of love.

Hi Cherry
    Hope you are feeling ok. When would they give you the epidural? I had an epidural for my c-section 2 and a half years ago and tbh I still have a few back problems. Thats just me though, I know others who have been fine xx
    As a side note I cant believe I've been getting my period smack bang every month since getting the cyst out which is unreal for me. That fecker must have been causing loads of problems!!

Apparently I could either have an epidural or a morphine drip with a button when I come round from the surgery. It's great to hear things are all working properly for you now! Do you feel a lot better after the surgery? Has the swelling gone down for you? I'm hoping i'll suddenly be a couple of dresses sizes smaller, but maybe that is wishful thinking! :rolleyes:

Apparently I could either have an epidural or a morphine drip with a button when I come round from the surgery. It's great to hear things are all working properly for you now! Do you feel a lot better after the surgery? Has the swelling gone down for you? I'm hoping i'll suddenly be a couple of dresses sizes smaller, but maybe that is wishful thinking! :rolleyes:

I'd go with the Morphine but of course it's up to you maybe you should discuss with your doc. My stomach has gone down an awful lot but havent dropped much weight but thats mainly cos I'm being a little piggy at the moment:o:o

Yeah I think I'm going to take the morphine option, unless the doctor really disagrees. Good to know that the swelling does go down, i've read a lot about having a swollen tummy for months and months after the op.
    Thanks again for your replies, I re-read them all the time and it makes me way less anxious, although I think some nerves are unavoidable right now. My operation is this Thursday afternoon, I will be sure to let you know how I get on asap.

Lots of love
    xxx

• Advertisement

Yeah I think I'm going to take the morphine option, unless the doctor really disagrees. Good to know that the swelling does go down, i've read a lot about having a swollen tummy for months and months after the op.
    Thanks again for your replies, I re-read them all the time and it makes me way less anxious, although I think some nerves are unavoidable right now. My operation is this Thursday afternoon, I will be sure to let you know how I get on asap.

Lots of love
    xxx

Good luck with the op Cherry
    You will be sore for about 2-3 weeks then he pain just magically disappears:eek:
    Just think how great it will be to have the 'alien' out:D

take care xxx

ziggy23 wrote: »

Lots of love
    xxx

Good luck with the op Cherry
    You will be sore for about 2-3 weeks then he pain just magically disappears:eek:
    Just think how great it will be to have the 'alien' out:D

take care xxx

Well I'm out of hospital and all went very well! I lost my ovary as expected but the other one is very healthy and the growth didn't show any signs of cancer. I couldn't believe how tired I felt for the first few days after the op, but it has been 5 days now and I feel well on the mend. I really can't say just how much you guys helped me, THANK YOU! If anyone is reading this and has the same problem feel free to ask any questions you like and I will return the treatment I received on here.

Best wishes to all of you.
    Xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Great to hear that the op went well cherry. Take your time to recover now.

Hi ladies, I'm the one that started this thread a while back. I had my laparotomy this time last year and fell pregnant straight after it. I've since had baby and am waiting on my monthly's since. Now over the last few days I've been getting bad pains no my right side, exactly the same pains I had with the cyst and I'm just wondering did anybody experience these pains with their first period after their surgery. This will be my first one since my surgery even tho surgery was a year ago. Suppose I'm just looking for a reason why I'd be so sore and just don't even want to think about the fact that theRe could be another cyst. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lizzyjp

Hi ladies,

I know this forum is quite old but hopefully one or two of you still read it. Basically I had my gall bladder removed via key hole january and the surgeon said I needed a ultra sound to confirm fibroids. Well I had the ultra sound last month and the gynae says I've got a 15 x 12 cm dermoid cyst. I'm living in south africa but have contacted the coombe with my gynae reports and they have scheduled to see me two days after I fly home. We are returning to dublin dec. Ok so my questions are 1) how long do you reckon the wait will be to have surgery? 2) will they possibly do it key hole or is it too big for keyhole? I'm only 35 and married a year so hoping to start ttc next year. Ok ladies any advice would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭starlight1

Lizzyjp wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

I know this forum is quite old but hopefully one or two of you still read it. Basically I had my gall bladder removed via key hole january and the surgeon said I needed a ultra sound to confirm fibroids. Well I had the ultra sound last month and the gynae says I've got a 15 x 12 cm dermoid cyst. I'm living in south africa but have contacted the coombe with my gynae reports and they have scheduled to see me two days after I fly home. We are returning to dublin dec. Ok so my questions are 1) how long do you reckon the wait will be to have surgery? 2) will they possibly do it key hole or is it too big for keyhole? I'm only 35 and married a year so hoping to start ttc next year. Ok ladies any advice would be great!

Hi Lizzyjp,
    Thanks for resurrecting this thread :)

Im currently waiting on surgery date to remove ovarian cyst (possible endometrioma). I'm on the waiting list as 'urgent' since August and still no date for surgery! was told likely to be Dec but I'm not in Dublin so waiting times in the Coombe could be quicker. Also Im going public so if you have health insurance it could be quicker

Size wise mine is large but not as big as yours. I was told due to size and location of mine that they would attempte keyhole surgery but there is a high likelihood that it will be laparotomy (open surgery). Yours is bigger than mine is so just be prepared that it might need open surgery. I wasnt prepared for that possibility at all before my last appointment.
    Have you been having much pain?

Lizzyjp wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

Hello Lizzy,

I'm based in Norfolk in England and had a large dermoid cyst removed last year, about 20cm long!

1) I waited 8-12 weeks for the operation.
    2) Mine was a laparotomy, as it was too big for keyhole surgery and I stayed in hospital for about 2-3 days after the operation. They made an incision across my pubic bone, just below the bikini line. I couldn't say for sure, but I would think it will be a laparotomy for a cyst that size. If it is laparotomy, I would certainly recommend asking about having the incision just below the bikini line, I think this made recovery a lot easier.

I'm feeling so much better now. I don't think I even realised how tired and irritable I was before and it has really changed my life having it removed!

Please feel free to ask more questions if you need to...

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭starlight1

Hello Lizzy,

I'm based in Norfolk in England and had a large dermoid cyst removed last year, about 20cm long!

1) I waited 8-12 weeks for the operation.
    2) Mine was a laparotomy, as it was too big for keyhole surgery and I stayed in hospital for about 2-3 days after the operation. They made an incision across my pubic bone, just below the bikini line. I couldn't say for sure, but I would think it will be a laparotomy for a cyst that size. If it is laparotomy, I would certainly recommend asking about having the incision just below the bikini line, I think this made recovery a lot easier.

I'm feeling so much better now. I don't think I even realised how tired and irritable I was before and it has really changed my life having it removed!

Please feel free to ask more questions if you need to...

Cherry & Lizzy,
    Hope you dont mind me jumping in on the thread but is great to talk to people in the same position

Wow cherry your cyst was some size! I thought mine was big-at MRI in August it was 5.5x8x7.5cm but I know its defo even bigger now as am in a lot more pain/discomfort. I completely get how you feel tired and irritable-I think because this has been growing so gradually you just put up with it on a day to day basis but its really impacting on me daily now and just want it gone!

How did you find the recovery after the laparotomy? any tips? I thought I would be having keyhole so trying to mentally prepare myself for a longer recovery now. Mine is most likely an endometrioma/chocolate cyst so not a dermoid but Im presuming the procedure itself is the same

Thanks for reply-all the info from previous posters has been really helpful :)

Hey ladies :)

I've had both a laparoscopy and laparotomy for a Dermoid cyst.
    Obviously if the cyst is very big, they night have to do open surgery but a lot of it also depend on how attached it is to your ovary etc. I had the keyhole first and they then realised that it was quite attached to my ovary and they weren't sure if my ovary would have go removed or not.

The laparotomy obviously has a longer recovery time but you just have to take it easy, it is major surgery but its fine. You will notice what a huge difference even a day makes to your recovery! Enjoy being looked after ;)

As for waiting times, every hospital is different. I think I had both my appointments within a couple of months as far as I can remember. I suppose it depends on each particular case and the urgency of removing it.

I started this thread wondering would it cause any problems conceiving and After my laparotomy(I think then playing around with my ovaries must have stimulated them or something ha ha) , I was patiently waiting for my first time of the month after it, and it never came! :)
    I now have a gorgeous little boy :):)

The very best of luck to every one of you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Lizzyjp

Thanks so much ladies for the feed back. The cyst is putting pressure on my bladder which is painful and every second period or so is horrific. I'm going public and wrote letters to all dublin hospitals. Holles st said they could see me in Jan then the coombe said next month. Really hoping the surgery waiting time isn't too long as my gynae here (south africa) said he's worried it might twist around the ovary and kill it. I'm so tired of looking and feeling 6 months pregnant. I have no energy and I'm bloated as hell especially after I eat! Did anyone else have this?!? I think the cyst has grown even bigger since my last appointment as I'm needing to pee more and more. Thanks again for the help and info. I didn't consider open surgery but now preparing myself for it just incase.

Advertisement