Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

I wouldn't of let her away with that, just because she was old, she was still a thief.

Actually I trying to give a contrast between two people,one extremely wealthy and the other was quite poor,the said lipstick would last her ages,it was her only luxury.Daily we would have lipstick returns,and I knew she wasnt doing the same thing everywhere.Glad we're not all like you,nice username :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

snowbabe wrote: »
    Actually I trying to give a contrast between two people,one extremely wealthy and the other was quite poor,the said lipstick would last her ages,it was her only luxury.Daily we would have lipstick returns,and I knew she wasnt doing the same thing everywhere.Glad we're not all like you,nice username :p

if you owned the business would you be so kind to her or would you stop her stealing from your business?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Interesting that you felt as a teen that you knew all about your friend's family finances. You must have heard a lot of speculation around the dinner table as to who all in your town was loaded but had it all hidden in a mattress.

Now that you are older you probably know that kind of speculation is usually wrong and frequently triggered by jealousy and spite.
    Butterface wrote: »
    I think it can often be unfair to call young people (still in school, no part-time job, answer to their parents) stingy. I had a weekend job while I was in school and I was glad of it because before that I relied on my parents, and they certainly weren't giving me £20 every Saturday to go into town!! I'm not saying my parents were stingy, but instead of doling out the children's allowance to us every week they saved it in the Credit Union and handed it to us when we needed it the most, the college years!

Perhaps your friend's parents just didn't give her any pocket money. Or she was saving it for concert tickets and clothes, which is what I used to do!
    Perhaps her parents were well aware of the shenanigans that many get up to when "celebrating" the Junior Cert, and deliberately made sure they didn't give her enough money for a booze fest.

It wasn't discussed 'around the dinner table', it was common knowledge. She had a part-time job (as did I) so, it was just one instance of many that stuck in my mind, didn't think I'd get targeted as being nasty on a stingy thread for it! To clarify, being 15 and 16 year olds we weren't at a fine dining establishment either, it was a once in a year thing, just why bother coming to a celebration if you didn't want to join in on a meal like everyone else who had been saving up and looking forward to it. It certainly wasn't a booze fest as everyone else was going to a teeny bopper nightclub at the time and we didn't have the money to waste on buses, new outfits and entry fees.

But perhaps maybe weight considerations came into it, though she was never one for that. It was an instance thats stuck in my mind for a few years, I don't make a habit of being nasty or jealous of people and if I am, I'm not going to be two faced and be friends with that person.

I didn't think my post would elicit such a negative response, and make me come across like a petty, jealous b!tch, because it wasn't that way, but I suppose one innocent post on boards can make it appear that way to people who don't know you, but thats the how the internet works I guess - forgot about that before posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

just why bother coming to a celebration if you didn't want to join in on a meal like everyone else who had been saving up and looking forward to it.

Why did she have to eat a meal to join in the celebration? Was she not great company and you only invited her along to watch her eat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

if you owned the business would you be so kind to her or would you stop her stealing from your business?

It's a lipstick ffs:mad: The poster was showing an act of kindness an emotion I imagine is alien to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

jca wrote: »
    It's a lipstick ffs:mad: The poster was showing an act of kindness an emotion I imagine is alien to you.

kindness? letting someone shoplift, just because they are old. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

It wasn't discussed 'around the dinner table', it was common knowledge. She had a part-time job (as did I) so, it was just one instance of many that stuck in my mind, didn't think I'd get targeted as being nasty on a stingy thread for it! To clarify, being 15 and 16 year olds we weren't at a fine dining establishment either, it was a once in a year thing, just why bother coming to a celebration if you didn't want to join in on a meal like everyone else who had been saving up and looking forward to it. It certainly wasn't a booze fest as everyone else was going to a teeny bopper nightclub at the time and we didn't have the money to waste on buses, new outfits and entry fees.

But perhaps maybe weight considerations came into it, though she was never one for that. It was an instance thats stuck in my mind for a few years, I don't make a habit of being nasty or jealous of people and if I am, I'm not going to be two faced and be friends with that person.

I didn't think my post would elicit such a negative response, and make me come across like a petty, jealous b!tch, because it wasn't that way, but I suppose one innocent post on boards can make it appear that way to people who don't know you, but thats the how the internet works I guess - forgot about that before posting!

Her father's payscale and lack of mortgage was "common knowledge"? The sort of "common knowledge" that comes from small town gossip would be my guess. What else was common knowledge about their family financial circumstances?

I think it's rather funny that you feel fit to pronounce buses, new outfits and entry fees as a waste of money, but don't think your friend gets to decide that a 3 course meal is a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I wasn't being particularly negative towards you, just making a point that stinginess shouldn't really be pinned on young people when they're not in control/have no finances to speak of.

The fact is she went to the meal and paid for her soup, but chose not to have a main course. You don't know the reasoning behind her choice - whether genuine weight issues (or simply health conscious) or lack of funds (be it her own fault for not saving her wages, or her parents didn't give her money).

Now, if she had gone to the meal and ordered a main course and then expected one of you to pay for it, then we could discuss stinginess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Can we please get back to talking about stingy people and not this Junior Cert girl? It'll kill the thread!

I knew someone who would sneak vodka into a bar. We've all done it, no big deal. But she would also bring about 5 bottles of coke as mixer.
    Not a great story but i really want to bring the thread back on topic :(

kindness? letting someone shoplift, just because they are old. :confused:

Jesus read the post 'homeless student' I didnt allow her steal,I simply turned a blind eye,at the time there was huge wastage,(you probably were'nt born then) I was able to help a lovely person out thats all,it was a post of huge contrasts.I hope you will be able to change your username soon,and hope someone might turn a blind eye to help you some day

• Advertisement

Sorry I just saw this now,I was the agent actually so it was my business,any stinge stories homeless student you'd like to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I used to work with a fella years ago, the company we worked in used to supply the bread and tea in the canteen for free but when they started charging 5p per slice of bread and 20p for the tea he started bringing in his own bread.

And before someone says he was hard luck case he was far from it, he owned about 100 acres of a farm.

Deodorant must also have been too much of an expense as well, I've a strong stomach but the stink of BO off him would knock ya sideways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

EyeSight wrote: »
    Can we please get back to talking about stingy people and not this Junior Cert girl? It'll kill the thread!

I knew someone who would sneak vodka into a bar. We've all done it, no big deal. But she would also bring about 5 bottles of coke as mixer.
    Not a great story but i really want to bring the thread back on topic :(
    Was she good at weightlifting? Seriously her arm muscles must have gotten some workout lugging that around in her bag for the night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

05KUYKm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

A girl I used to know in school was fairly tight, it wasn't a case of being broke as they didn't have a mortgage on the house as they'd inherited it and her Dad had a well paid job. When we got our Junior Cert results we all went out for dinner in a restaurant. She came along but had her dinner beforehand so was 'too full' and had a bowl of soup instead. You think you'd enjoy a meal on that one occasion, with all your other friends like. Just one of many cost cutting measures I remember from over the years. Well she's now got a mortgage on her first house, in her mid-twenties, so the tightness paid off it seems!
    I know you've got a lot of stick over this post but I'm with you. It was a Junior Cert celebration, so not likely to be a five star affair and if the girl couldn't afford more than soup, why didn't she just join ye afterwards? I know that no matter how broke I was, I would never turn up for dinner having "eaten beforehand". Thats just bad manners, no matter how old you are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr Boom Boom

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I know you've got a lot of stick over this post but I'm with you. It was a Junior Cert celebration, so not likely to be a five star affair and if the girl couldn't afford more than soup, why didn't she just join ye afterwards? I know that no matter how broke I was, I would never turn up for dinner having "eaten beforehand". Thats just bad manners, no matter how old you are.

Can we draw a line under this please and get back to the stinge???????????!??????!!!!????!!!?!???!!???

Can we draw a line under this please and get back to the stinge???????????!??????!!!!????!!!?!???!!???
    Please be my guest and get the stories rolling :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I just wd40'd an unfranked postage stamp off an envelope, dried it and glued it to a fresh envelope - all to save 60c.
    Is snubbleste stingy or frugal?

snubbleste wrote: »
    I just wd40'd an unfranked postage stamp off an envelope, dried it and glued it to a fresh envelope - all to save 60c.
    Is snubbleste stingy or frugal?
    What does that mean?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

The worst case of stingiest i have seen was by a tenant i lived with for a month while on contract work, she used cut up her old size 20 knickers and vests and use them as tea towels and as J cloths around the kitchen. Every time i had to use cutlery or plates/cups i used wash them as she used hand wash every thing and dry them with her old skids. I ended up on takeaways for the most of that month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

WikiHow wrote: »
    The worst case of stingiest i have seen was by a tenant i lived with for a month while on contract work, she used cut up her old size 20 knickers and vests and use them as tea towels and as J cloths around the kitchen. Every time i had to use cutlery or plates/cups i used wash them as she used hand wash every thing and dry them with her old skids. I ended up on takeaways for the most of that month.

Is it wrong that I'm thinking if you said frilly size 8 knickers I wouldn't have a problem with it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

WikiHow wrote: »
    That reminds me, my mum used to use my dad's old undies for dusting (not dishes - that's gross) she didn't even cut them up to try and disguise it, we'd be quite happily dusting away with dad's giant Y fronts. Lol I think I'd suppressed that memory til now! She wasn't stingy though, just grew up poor and in a more frugal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

well my friend is the least stingiest person i know, however, she was taking pills one night, puked up a pill straight after taking it.

so she bent down and picked it out and swallowed it again D:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭billie1b

ncmc wrote: »
    That reminds me, my mum used to use my dad's old undies for dusting (not dishes - that's gross) she didn't even cut them up to try and disguise it, we'd be quite happily dusting away with dad's giant Y fronts. Lol I think I'd suppressed that memory til now! She wasn't stingy though, just grew up poor and in a more frugal time.

Are you one of my brothers or sisters? My mum used to do the exact same :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

well my friend is the least stingiest person i know, however, she was taking pills one night, puked up a pill straight after taking it.

so she bent down and picked it out and swallowed it again D:

Sadly, I have seen many of my mates do that. Usually accompanied by the excuse "Well I paid a tenner for it, and it was just sitting there like!" Gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

rawn wrote: »
    Sadly, I have seen many of my mates do that. Usually accompanied by the excuse "Well I paid a tenner for it, and it was just sitting there like!" Gross.

i suppose its because she was worried she wouldn't be able to get more but still :P i slag her relentlessly about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

ncmc wrote: »

Nothing stingy about recycling textiles instead of buying disposables. Sensible and evironmentally concious I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I use old inside out socks for cleaning and conditioning leather in the car. Pull them down over my hand and wipe the seats down; the inside of the sock is soft and the coverage is fantastic. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Nothing stingy about recycling textiles instead of buying disposables. Sensible and evironmentally concious I'd say.
    Recycling underwear to dry the dishes and clean down the hob after cooking is wrong on so many levels, J cloths and tea towels are not exactly expensive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement