Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

Well done Realies, great poster around these parts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

realies wrote: »
    I know I posted it yesterday,but today is the five year anniversary of me not taking an alcoholic drink, Not many if any of my friends,relations,family believed me when I said I had enough, and to be fair to them, I wouldent blame them. But I knew, I just knew it, that was it, enough was enough and since then not a drop has passed my mouth, And without being to selfish I can say that it was the best decision of my life. Life at the moment is great.

Congratulations, Realies, that's a fantastic personal achievement and one which I have no doubt, your real friends and loved ones really appreciate.

I know I have benefitted from your experience also, as many others have here. You've been a great help on my journey, a calm voice of reason and wisdom! Thank you for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Well done realies an inspiration to a lot of posters here!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭KeefF

Realies - I echo everyone elses posts.
    You have been a real help with your straight advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭quinrea01

Quite clearly there are more ways than one to get and stay sober. Some swear by AA while others are less convinced by its effectiveness. Others feel comfortable in pubs and other drinking environments while others, like myself, prefer to avoid these places. In my own experience, I failed miserably whenever I tried to kick the bottle while still hanging out with my pals in pubs drinking alcohol free drinks or soft drinks and watching my friends getting drunk. Resentment was my biggest enemy. That was just me and I can only speak for myself. If others can hack it, well fair play to them and I wish them well. The point is, do what feels right for YOU. We are all trying to get to the same place and maybe we are just traveling there by different roads. It is very uplifting to read all these posts from people who have reached their own personal milestones, be it a day, a week, a month, a year or even ten or twenty years and I can feel the joy in these posts. Let us continue to support each other through our experiences and best wishes to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Well done Realies - your advice is second to none!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

2 months today!

Had another one of those dastardly dreams recently, but other than that I'm on top of the world :)

Well done Diablo, the dreams become less frequent after the first 6 months I found.

I've had a rough enough few months health wise. I've had a problem with my stomach since I gave up the drink which was only properly diagnosed a week before Christmas(don't get me started on how angry I am at St Vincent's hospital as I've been going in there for 2 years about it). Nothing really serious but it's a type of hernia and an issue with my abdominal wall which will need to be reinforced. Going from a lifestyle of drinking 10+ pints on a Friday + Saturday with smaller consumption during the week to running bloody marathons can take it's toll on the body!

Anyway I was supposed to go to London for New Years with my gilfriend and I collapsed in the airport due the pain, blacked out and woke up on the way to Beamount with my girlfriend who was in shock about the whole thing. I'm finally heading in to Vincents to a surgeon on Monday so I'm hoping it finally gets sorted.

Why I'm posting this here is because at the end of my drinking I wanted to die. I hated myself and was convinced noone including my family wanted me around. I just didn't want to go on. What sobriety has given me in just over 2 short years is that when I came to & was being brought out by paramedics in that airport while being in a lot of pain & shock is I really wanted to live. I thought I was having a heart attack or something as I had never experienced pain like it. I just remember thinking how great life has become and how I wanted to spend so much more time with this girl who was sitting there in tears worried about me. So what getting sober has done for me is I finally have a value on myself for the first time since I can remember. I'm still a bit anxious & worried as anyone would be until it's sorted but the difference is I know I'll get through it and the experience will stand to me. Sorry for the essay just good to get how I'm feeling about the whole thing typed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

How long does it take for alcohol to be totally out of your system?

I havnt drank since before halloween, I was thinking of having a few over christmas but in the end I decided not to and didnt miss it at all - not planning to drink ever again now. Tbh I feel better than ever - physically but especially mentally

While my drinking wasn't as bad as some peoples here I could tell it was heading that direction - looking back on it and not comparing to the people I drank with I can see that it was pretty bad

I've had a lot more money in my pocket to spend on useful things and it really is great to be fresh in the mornings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Its been 16 days after a heavy christmas :(

Have to say the social life has taken a bit of a downward turn as I just cant go out without drinking, I find it impossible so I have just not gone out.

I am craving pints and nightlife at the moment but the thoughts of waking up on a saturday sunday without feeling sick or half stupid is whats keeping me going, plus I have advanced more in fitness terms in cycling in the last 16 days that I had done for 3 months towards the end of last year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Wow KaG.. I actually noticed you were a bit quiet over Christmas.. Glad you're ok now! Sounds like a sore dose to have :(

Good to hear you took a positive from the experience :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

Can't beat spending a late Thursday night on the couch with the missus holding a large, pint sized, ice filled glass of Coke watching a movie while the kids are all asleep!! :)

Definitely beats the 'good old days' of spending it in the pub and having a rat eyed head hanging out my arse in work every Friday morning! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭quinrea01

Can't beat spending a late Thursday night on the couch with the missus holding a large, pint sized, ice filled glass of Coke watching a movie while the kids are all asleep!! :)

Definitely beats the 'good old days' of spending it in the pub and having a rat eyed head hanging out my arse in work every Friday morning! :P
    A terrific turn of phrase their, ISB. Couldn't describe it better myself. And you will experience similar better days as time goes by. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Day 111 off Alcohol.

Thought I would post in here. It was great to have help at the start but I am determined to stay off alcohol now for good.It has been tough going. I am a young man but drink had really held me back. It is easier now.
    It is great waking up fresh at the weekend looking forward to getting stuff done and not having to think about alcohol.
    The first few weeks were really tough going. It is great to have extra cash to buy new things. I hope this new me can continue.
    I feel glad for anyone else who has decided to give up Alcohol.

Surgery in the next week or so hopefully after meeting the consultant today. Really looking forward to finally getting this bloody sorted! Then hopefully will book my first proper sober holiday :D . I haven't left Ireland in nearly 3 years .... :(

Surgery in the next week or so hopefully after meeting the consultant today. Really looking forward to finally getting this bloody sorted! Then hopefully will book my first proper sober holiday :D . I haven't left Ireland in nearly 3 years .... :(

Best of luck with and full recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭KeefF

Best of Luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lady Justice

Haven't touched a drop since March of 2013. I want to make it to this March, if for no other reason than to prove to myself that I can have a great year ,with no alcohol involved whatsoever. So far so good. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I haven't had a drink since New Years Eve. I am shocked at how much of my drinking previously is just pure habit. There has only been one evening that I have actually wanted a drink - it is so great feeling good and fresh every morning.

Animord wrote: »
    I haven't had a drink since New Years Eve. I am shocked at how much of my drinking previously is just pure habit. There has only been one evening that I have actually wanted a drink - it is so great feeling good and fresh every morning.

I agree pure habit that can lead to bad consequences on your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

July 10th,battled this demon for 10yrs off and on.
    Its a lifestyle change that is needed,had to droo the drinkin buddies,becomr a semi hermit and finally I think I can see it through.
    Seeing what alcohol does to others it just shocks me now as before it amused me since I was involved in the mess.
    Good luck to all on this quest,threads like this are important.

hedgehog2 wrote: »
    July 10th,battled this demon for 10yrs off and on.
    Its a lifestyle change that is needed,had to droo the drinkin buddies,becomr a semi hermit and finally I think I can see it through.
    Seeing what alcohol does to others it just shocks me now as before it amused me since I was involved in the mess.
    Good luck to all on this quest,threads like this are important.

Well done hedgehog2,
    if you were to say three things that have improved in your life since quitting what are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

I would say I am calmer in my mind no more dreaded hangovers and drink anxiety.
    I care less what people think of me as that ole philosopher Lao Zing said if you always care what others think of you your always going to be their prisoner,now I feel free from these thoughts.
    Finally my relationship with my wife has improved,finances a little better and I now have that drive to succeed back.

hedgehog2 wrote: »
    J

Love this!!! So true :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

KungPao wrote: »
    Day 6!

would be a 18 beers a week drinker (never spirits or wine), not crazy high by Irish standards, but was worried over Christmas as I was drinking a few or more every day and missing it when not drinking. And not just the sensation, I LOVE the taste of a good freezing cerveza.

So, gave it up for January at least, to put the brakes on.

For the tea drinkers in place of alcohol: I swear by camomile...no caffeine and helps relax. I find caffeine can make one edgy and will increase cravings for a cold soothing beer.

Day 26 for me now. Had one Erdinger Alkohol Frei all month, nothing more.

I had it as i missed the taste of beer so much, but it was nothing like beer really. As it wasn't the best, I put some lemon in it - just made it taste like Nestea!

I have a big decision to make on Feb 1st...to drink or not to drink? I only intended on being AF for January as a both challenge (make sure I'm not an alco) and as a rest for the body...

Hmmmmm!

Well done on the month :) good going..

Wishing you all the best in what ever decision you make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

KungPao wrote: »

I have a big decision to make on Feb 1st...to drink or not to drink? I only intended on being AF for January as a both challenge (make sure I'm not an alco) and as a rest for the body...

Best of luck with your decision, and this is not aimed at you or anyone else, but your post reminded me. Someone once said to me that people believe that they don't have a drink problem because they can stop for months or sometimes years at a time. But they are asking the wrong question. The question, if you are concerned about your drinking, is not can you stop for a month. It is can you stop after one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Off drink 27 days. I have been exercising a lot and my fitness and strength are going up. I initially said one month but I'm thinking of staying off for good now. Relationship with my wife and kids is better, money lasts longer, I'm loving Sundays and Mondays now strangely enough. I was in a pub last Friday and it just felt so depressing, I don't want to swap the nice weekend mornings with my kids for the pub ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I don't want to swap the nice weekend mornings with my kids for the pub ever again.

Most beautiful thing I've read on these forums in ages. Yer a good man :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Most beautiful thing I've read on these forums in ages. Yer a good man :)

Thanks, I got a little teary eyed when I read that back.

This thread has been a huge help. It's great to read everyone's stories and realise there are other people in the same position.

Advertisement