Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB to create new fibre powered ISP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Still waiting for Sky to roll out their Fibre and yet now I see Vodafone with 3 months free for €38... ESB please come out with a great offer that'll make everyone decrease their prices!!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

I think you're missing the point that has already been stated. It's simply not as economically feasible to provide the same level of broadband service as for example upc does, to rural users.

Neither are you going to get the M50 being built between every two villages and road infrastructure is equally necessary.

Is it reasonable to expect the only guy half way up a mountain with no-one else for miles around to be provided with fibre broadband, when for most uses, 3g is sufficient...

I accept the argument about not running fibre up the side of a mountain, but what about the hundreds of villages with 100+ homes who have been effectively left behind if not included in the Eircom roll out.

Even if the government enforced fibre to the village and wireless thereafter would be a massive improvement.

In our part of the country we don't have 3G !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I accept the argument about not running fibre up the side of a mountain, but what about the hundreds of villages with 100+ homes who have been effectively left behind if not included in the Eircom roll out.

Even if the government enforced fibre to the village and wireless thereafter would be a massive improvement.

In our part of the country we don't have 3G !
    Do you live in a village or in a one off dwelling outside a village? My point is that rural living in Ireland is actually dominated by one off dwellings. This is in stark contrast to most northern European countries where most rural dwellers live in villages, hamlets and small towns, where it makes it possible to provide services at the commune level. Actual village dwellers have fair grounds to complain about missing broadband but one off dwellers really don't. That lack of broadband was part of the decision not to live in a village.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

murphaph wrote: »
    Do you live in a village or in a one off dwelling outside a village? My point is that rural living in Ireland is actually dominated by one off dwellings. This is in stark contrast to most northern European countries where most rural dwellers live in villages, hamlets and small towns, where it makes it possible to provide services at the commune level. Actual village dwellers have fair grounds to complain about missing broadband but one off dwellers really don't. That lack of broadband was part of the decision not to live in a village.

by the same token do we expect one-off housing not to have electricity? If you can run electricity you can just as easily run fibre...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Still waiting for Sky to roll out their Fibre and yet now I see Vodafone with 3 months free for €38... ESB please come out with a great offer that'll make everyone decrease their prices!!
    Just a reminder that SKY won't be rolling out anything.

They only resell what others have already rolled out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm a typical example. I'm living in the country. No house in half mile radius. I'm not looking for or dreaming of fibre broadband. I run my business of the only available service which is Vodafone Mobile. It's pretty useless but for about 6 years, is been only show in town.
    My main gripe is that 3 were given huge funding to make bb available to every house in the country. From the poor position they were in, it was always going to be a big task. Surely government could have partnered with a more suitable company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

bealtine wrote: »
    by the same token do we expect one-off housing not to have electricity? If you can run electricity you can just as easily run fibre...

Run power AND data down the same line . . .

You may be onto something.

I live in 1 off house exactly 1km from the village on a road with lots of 1 off houses. Each of them have electricity and a road we all share. The point is it is small village about 20 minutes drive from Birr/Athlone/Tullamore and Ballinasloe yet we are set to be bypassed by fibre when the towns on all 4 roads out of the village will be serviced by 2016.

I would love nothing more to set up a business in the area and foster local jobs and a sense of local community, without it villages like ours could cease to exist in 20-30 years.

That's the real price of failing to deliver proper BB to rural Ireland.....loss of identity, loss of reason to live there.

We don't all want to live in cities, we don't all want to live in the country, we just all should have the choice and an opportunity to raise your family with the same prospects in the same republic.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

mickdw wrote: »
    I'm a typical example. I'm living in the country. No house in half mile radius. I'm not looking for or dreaming of fibre broadband. I run my business of the only available service which is Vodafone Mobile. It's pretty useless but for about 6 years, is been only show in town.
    My main gripe is that 3 were given huge funding to make bb available to every house in the country. From the poor position they were in, it was always going to be a big task. Surely government could have partnered with a more suitable company.

It's a mess up like other government plans and promises. But hopefully 3 consuming O2 will improve things.

Each of them have electricity and a road we all share.

Access to electricity and roads for most people are far higher requirements than fibre broadband.

The point is it is small village about 20 minutes drive from Birr/Athlone/Tullamore and Ballinasloe yet we are set to be bypassed by fibre when the towns on all 4 roads out of the village will be serviced by 2016.

It seems fairly logical that, generally speaking, larger urban areas including those towns will get fibre before smaller villages and one-off houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

I too live in a rural area just 1k outside a 100+ village and the most annoying thing is that the National fiber network runs through the area. It's a pity we can't tap into it, eircom would easily have 60+ new BB customers within a stones throw of an exchange. BTW I think 60+ is quite a conservative guess. It's quite annoying that all the new BB options are always for the same urban areas:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Most one-off houses were built long before broadband was even thought about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

monument wrote: »
    It seems fairly logical that, generally speaking, larger urban areas including those towns will get fibre before smaller villages and one-off houses.
    We are talking about the ESB's plans specifically. As it stands, ESB have long utilised the idea of wrapping fibre around overhead cables and would be the keystone in a nationwide rollout. Now many larger urban areas have predominantly underground power supplies and it's not immediately obvious how the ESB will tackle that. ESB manholes are by no means widespread and I know in various parts of Dublin, 3-phase cables are laid like gas pipes where the junctions are sealed in situ and buried (and if there is a cable fault, they simply have to dig up the ground).

Eircom have comprehensive ducting and UPC have either adequate ducting or else existing overhead cables. ESB don't have that in many urban areas whereas it's almost universal in rural Ireland.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

without it villages like ours could cease to exist in 20-30 years.

I'm going to say something perhaps a little controversial, but perhaps that is exactly what needs to happen!!

The reality is that Irelands population is far too dispersed and spread out. And that makes it far too difficult and expensive to deliver infrastructure and services, whether it is roads, public transport, broadband or hospitals.

40% of Irelands population is rural (as defined as living outside a town or village). By comparison in France it is just 10% (most people live in villages).

That simply put isn't sustainable and certainly not sustainable without asking people who live in such rural areas to pay far more to receive these services.

The reality is, people living in rural Ireland (outside towns and villages) will probably need to pay themselves to get fibre to their homes. Maybe €2,000 or €3,000 per house, depending on distance.

No it is totally unreasonable (and probably illegal) to force the ESB to deliver fibre broadband to rural homes first, it just isn't going to happen.

I think a far more realistic plan is:

- Let the ESB roll out fibre to non-UPC urban areas as they are planning to do. This will create good competition to Eircom, keep UPC on their feet and at least ensure a very high level of Broadband in Irish urban areas.

But perhaps more importantly, it will give the ESB to get experience of actually rolling out fibre broadband and delivering internet services, something they are totally new at. It will allow them to figure out what works and what doesn't work and the real cost of rolling out fibre.

- Then once they have completed that work, we can then ask them to take that experience and expertise and apply it to rural Ireland too.

However people will need to be realistic, it is going to be costly to do and the ESB aren't going to do it out of a kindness of their hearts. I'm also uncomfortable with the idea of asking urban dwellers to subsidise the expensive lifestyle choice of rural dwellers.

I think better to ask rural dwellers to pay the full cost of rolling out broadband to them. Now of course many people won't have a few thousand up front to get fibre bb installed, but that is where the government can help, they could offer interest free or low interest 20 year loans to allow for the cost to be spread out.

However don't hold your breath, even if they do decide to fibre rural Ireland, it will still take many years to get to everyone. Remember it took 35 years to electrify every home in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

Not everyone can live in a city or town, not everyone WANTS to. That doesn't mean they should suffer bad internet. I have family who live in extremely rural locations in Italy, up the side of a mountain and they still get good solid broadband..

Guess what, Farmers need internet too...

The government MUST assist and fund rural broadband. I would say this has a far higher priority than urban areas (that already have plenty of options for 24Mbps and above)

If this doesn't happen soon there will be such a huge differential between rural and urban people in terms of education, technology, development, etc etc that we may as well divide Ireland up into two countries ! Ireland-Tech and Ireland-Bog.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bk wrote: »
    However people will need to be realistic, it is going to be costly to do and the ESB aren't going to do it out of a kindness of their hearts. I'm also uncomfortable with the idea of asking urban dwellers to subsidise the expensive lifestyle choice of rural dwellers.
    Especially considering the subsidies 3 and Eircom (OAP,government fibre etc.)have received in the past and what they've achieved with them :mad:

Eircom's efibre will only benefit people within a mile of a cabinet, IIRC each cab takes 196 connections, perhaps including some spares. So a village with 60 possible connections would have to wait until they've finished all the villages and towns with a guaranteed 150+ connections. It's simple economics, Eircom has been continuously asset stripped since it went private so they are going to invest in the areas where they get the quickest return because they don't have deep enough pockets to wait for possible signups.
    Morf wrote: »
    Run power AND data down the same line . . .

You may be onto something.
    If you've ever had a mobile phone ring or receive a text while it's next to an old CRT monitor you'd know what that's a complete non-starter. It could only be done in urban areas where cables are buried, and even then.

Technically you could run twisted pair power cables , but that's a lot of extra copper - shortest distance being a straight line. You could shield the power cables, but that's capacitance and a lot of parasitic losses.

One idea would be to incorporate fibre into power cables - the stuff is dirt cheap since the real costs are in termination. Another would be to incorporate a gigabit PoE port into smart meters so it's ready to go.

Most of the problems with fibre won't be the last mile, more like the last 10m

The basic engineering considerations are the most important factor here... It doesn't really matter that urban areas might offer greater economies of scale if the cost of civils is e.g. ten times the cost in urban areas as it would be in rural areas.

Although I can't find out a definitive price for typical cables used, I estimate from looking at wholesale websites that for larger orders, a 32 core single mode cable would cost typically €500 per kilometre. Looking at existing wholesalers for external grade copper cabling would suggest it's at least 4x the price for 30-core telephone cable for instance. The lower per km cost of fibre combined with much cheaper per-km rollout costs of fibre if the ESB did it in rural areas does make the idea more competitive than it would have been even 4 years ago.

The studies I read of urban vs rural fibre rollout costs talk of at least 2x rollout costs but they declare that most rollouts in the comparisons are underground ones. The ability to use a comprehensive overhead network completely changes the economics of the rollout. Combined with substantial exceptions given to the ESB for the planning process (Which will incorporate general telecoms activities going by the proposed bill next year, see sections 4 and 5 which aid this purpose http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2013/13513/b13513d.pdf) (and altering the definition of "electric line" for the purposes of this important piece of law: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1927/en/act/pub/0027/sec0053.html) and the substantial staff base and in-house experience of existing overhead fibre rollouts.

Most one-off houses were built long before broadband was even thought about.
    Water, sewage, electricity, post ?

And they create a need for public transport and/or parking spaces in towns and at churches

BTW has anyone done any recent costings on high altitude tethered balloons or UAV's to seeing as how fixed wireless would need less power for the same bandwidth. Oddly enough thanks to efibre the demand should be lower so it might benefit rural more.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

Water, sewage, electricity, post ?

And they create a need for public transport and/or parking spaces in towns and at churches

BTW has anyone done any recent costings on high altitude tethered balloons or UAV's to seeing as how fixed wireless would need less power for the same bandwidth. Oddly enough thanks to efibre the demand should be lower so it might benefit rural more.

my barn roof blew away a couple of days ago... bit windy here for balloons?!!

Eircom's efibre will only benefit people within a mile of a cabinet, IIRC each cab takes 196 connections, perhaps including some spares. So a village with 60 possible connections would have to wait until they've finished all the villages and towns with a guaranteed 150+ connections. It's simple economics, Eircom has been continuously asset stripped since it went private so they are going to invest in the areas where they get the quickest return because they don't have deep enough pockets to wait for possible signups.
    You are almost giving eircom too much credit ;) Their plans seem to involve getting planning for VDSL beside every single existing cabinet in an exchange area. Even ones where there are a total of ten, yes you read that right, ten customers supplied within 800 metres of the cabinet. There are literally hundreds of places in Ireland which would have more than ten eircom customers less than 800 metres away by cable and will still see no VDSL whatsoever. And still dozens of places which are near existing fibre infrastructure or small fibre-fed exchanges which will have to wait a long time for VDSL.

bk wrote: »
    I'm going to say something perhaps a little controversial, but perhaps that is exactly what needs to happen!!

The reality is that Irelands population is far too dispersed and spread out. And that makes it far too difficult and expensive to deliver infrastructure and services, whether it is roads, public transport, broadband or hospitals.

40% of Irelands population is rural (as defined as living outside a town or village). By comparison in France it is just 10% (most people live in villages).

That simply put isn't sustainable and certainly not sustainable without asking people who live in such rural areas to pay far more to receive these services.

The reality is, people living in rural Ireland (outside towns and villages) will probably need to pay themselves to get fibre to their homes. Maybe €2,000 or €3,000 per house, depending on distance.

No it is totally unreasonable (and probably illegal) to force the ESB to deliver fibre broadband to rural homes first, it just isn't going to happen.

I think a far more realistic plan is:

- Let the ESB roll out fibre to non-UPC urban areas as they are planning to do. This will create good competition to Eircom, keep UPC on their feet and at least ensure a very high level of Broadband in Irish urban areas.

But perhaps more importantly, it will give the ESB to get experience of actually rolling out fibre broadband and delivering internet services, something they are totally new at. It will allow them to figure out what works and what doesn't work and the real cost of rolling out fibre.

- Then once they have completed that work, we can then ask them to take that experience and expertise and apply it to rural Ireland too.

I think better to ask rural dwellers to pay the full cost of rolling out broadband to them. Now of course many people won't have a few thousand up front to get fibre bb installed, but that is where the government can help, they could offer interest free or low interest 20 year loans to allow for the cost to be spread out.

However don't hold your breath, even if they do decide to fibre rural Ireland, it will still take many years to get to everyone. Remember it took 35 years to electrify every home in Ireland.

Yes that is controversial.

With the natural resources we have, agriculture is likely to continue as a significant part of the Irish economy for the foreseeable future.

Without the agri-food sector in the last few years things would have been even tougher for a lot of people in this country.

My suggestion was not to prioritise urban over rural in any ESB roll out plan, but to insist on a 1:1 basis i.e. roll out to urban area only goes live at the same time a non serviced area also goes live.

If the rural community is to wait until after the urban roll out phase the rural plan will be quietly dropped and likely never happen.

Re: rural dwellers having to pay for their install costs - why ?
    The infrastructure cost is the infrastructure cost as a whole for the country. Rural one off housing pay for their initial ESB connection, in the city this is rolled up in the price of the house/apartment etc. Are Eircom charging a connection fee to urban customers or are they rolling up the install costs as part of the package price ?

As an agency of the state the ESB should be used to deliver a world class fibre broadband system to be available to every home in the state over a defined period e.g. 5 years.

The government should use this step change in technology to push the country forward by 20 years and set up the country (City and country) as the best small country to deliver technology based business and jobs - in the world.

• Advertisement

You are almost giving eircom too much credit ;) Their plans seem to involve getting planning for VDSL beside every single existing cabinet in an exchange area. Even ones where there are a total of ten, yes you read that right, ten customers supplied within 800 metres of the cabinet.
    Planning is cheap, it's just lining up your ducks so you can roll out later on if another provider shows up your customers want it.

sibergoth wrote: »
    my barn roof blew away a couple of days ago... bit windy here for balloons?!!
    High altitude, above the weather, where the sun shines all day.

Planning is cheap, it's just lining up your ducks so you can roll out later on if another provider shows up your customers want it.
    What they've done so far suggests they are planning to enable every cabinet in a selected exchange area. The example I gave has already happened with a cabinet on the R168 in Drogheda.

My suggestion was not to prioritise urban over rural in any ESB roll out plan, but to insist on a 1:1 basis i.e. roll out to urban area only goes live at the same time a non serviced area also goes live.
    Again why should the ESB have to do this when Eircom who have got massive direct and indirect subsidies only has to supply 28.8Kb

Or 3 who have been paid to provide National Broadband that isn't even Broadband

As an agency of the state the ESB should be used to deliver a world class fibre broadband system to be available to every home in the state over a defined period e.g. 5 years.

The government should use this step change in technology to push the country forward by 20 years and set up the country (City and country) as the best small country to deliver technology based business and jobs - in the world.
    ESB / ESB networks / Eirgrid - all different companies
    Just like Eircom vs. Eircom Wholesale.

If you in a rural area and want an ESB connection, be prepared to pay
    Some costs here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77081723
    The ESB connection fee is somewhere around €1600. This is for a standard domestic supply and covers the cost of up to 3 additional poles.

with those costs in mind please explain how ESB could roll out fibre on a 1:1 urban:rural basis when there will be minimal profit margin from urban installs seeing as how they are competiting with UPC and Eircom who already have networks in place ( UPC are giving 50Mb for €37 a month that's €444 a year gross inc VAT ).

efibre reuses existing twisted pair so they only need to run one fibre for every ~ 100 connections. Read that last sentence again if you think the ESB costs would be the same.

Bottom line. If the ESB can't make money out of this in the long term then there isn't much point in them doing it.

FTTH has two advantages.
    1 - gigabit speed , so for business premises it's worth doing because they pay a lot more than residential, and if the ESB can do it without having to dig up roads they can beat all the other providers on time and cost.

2 - long distance, handy for rural, but at a higher cost than the above and for a lot less rental.

Yes the government should have kept Eircom wholesale as a separate entity like Eirgrid, but they didn't and the depreciation of network assets has been far less than the investment.

Bottom line. If the ESB can't make money out of this in the long term then there isn't much point in them doing it.
    This may be the crux of the matter but then what are the long term marginal costs in having a widespread fibre network? Poles etc. would have to be replaced because of the heavy metal electricity cables they carry and the safety implications thereof, not because they are carrying a lightweight fibre wrapped around an existing cable. Even looking at storm damage etc, there would probably have to be physical damage to the cable itself and things like falling small branches that would short out powerlines, would not have the same effect on a passive GPON network.

Although it would tie up the ESB's capital resources, they can wait a very long time on return if the physical infrastructure is based around our power supply.

I don't think it's appropriate yet to mandate the ESB per se, but serving 70% of the rural population should not be that difficult. Areas like the many villages with populations less than 1500 and the ribbon development that can be seen in various town and village outskirts, where the longer range of single mode fibre deployment and the close proximity of the clusters of bungalows along rural roads to medium voltage transmission cables would make it relatively easy to supply many localities in rural areas even if geographic coverage is not that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭hawthorne

So it is slowly becoming a reality:
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/esb-will-roll-out-broadband-to-500000-homes-29942493.html

Any of you interested in the radio frequency spectrum will know that this technology will lead to a widespread pollution of the spectrum.
    You will not be able to listen to any long, medium and shortwave frequency on your radio anymore without heavy noise coming out of your loudspeaker.
    Here is a sample from Australia:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdcY0Eetvsw
    This technology will interefere also with private,governmental or military services runing communications on the spectrum.
    Actually , any transmitter used in the vicinity using frequencies in the HF spctrum- like HAM radio operators,MOD or other governmental or commercial agencies can easily disrupt the service to a total shutdown.
    Pat Rabitte and the ESB crowd have not looked careful enough at all aspects of the system.Nobody will be happy with this stuff.
    So it looks like that we are heading into chaotic times....nothing new in this country....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

hawthorne wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/esb-will-roll-out-broadband-to-500000-homes-29942493.html

Any of you interested in the radio frequency spectrum will know that this technology will lead to a widespread pollution of the spectrum.
    You will not be able to listen to any long, medium and shortwave frequency on your radio anymore without heavy noise coming out of your loudspeaker.
    This technology will interefere also with private,governmental or military services runing communications on the spectrum.
    Actually , any transmitter used in the vicinity using frequencies in the HF spctrum- like HAM radio operators,MOD or other governmental or commercial agencies can easily disrupt the service to a total shutdown.
    Pat Rabitte and the ESB crowd have not looked careful enough at all aspects of the system.Nobody will be happy with this stuff.
    So it looks like that we are heading into chaotic times....nothing new in this country....

This isn't powerline broadband, it's fibre to the home

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

This is nothing to do with broadband over power line technology as White Heart said.
    It is using the infrastructure to install fibre optic cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Hard to know what you're talking about? As earlier posters replied to you already it's fibre(nothing to do with the airwaves). It's a technology that's long overdue to be connected to every house in this kip of a country. It needs proper backing from government in terms of hard cash and I doubt it will ever get it unless ESB stump up for this themselves. We seem to have no problem digging up the streets to install water meters but it's way too expensive to run some fibre cables - why? Because Morons run this country, not just the politicians but the idiots that advise them.

• Advertisement

damienirel wrote: »
    It's a technology that's long overdue to be connected to every house in this kip of a country. It needs proper backing from government in terms of hard cash and I doubt it will ever get it unless ESB stump up for this themselves.
    The assets stripped off eircom would have paid for a nationwide FFTH setup.

UPC's rollout of BB over cable was delayed because they were forced to roll out digital TV.

Eircom spend several years "testing" DSL around Donnybrook before they even started the lethargic rollout that folllowed.

The goverrnment has invested lots in dark fibre and MAN's and until very recently precious little of that has benefited residents

ESB are a company still held in high regard compared to many of the ISP's by many consumers so there is the feel good factor of if you have to pay someone it might as well be them.

ESB rolling out FFTH ? More power to them :)

Advertisement