Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,540 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

PTH2009 wrote: »
    cant see us getting that far to be honest.

Hardly surprising coming from you PTH

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Well heres my attempt:)
    1 sok
    2 s fives
    3 coughlan
    4 connors/bourke
    5 philip mahoney
    6 brick
    7 moran
    8 s o sullivan
    9 nagle
    10 dillon
    11 molumphy
    12 pauric mahoney
    13 jamie barron
    14 prender
    15 maurice

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

robopaddy wrote: »
    Wouldnt be worried about that result many of these lads have harty medals from last year and the year before the groundwork has already been done. The big issue going forward is that players from the dungarvan schools will no longer have exposure to this level of hurling following the decision to scrap the almalgamated schools due to dungarvan colleges success over the past couple years. CBS will realistically not be able to compete at this level once the current crop of players moves on due to the size of the school. The past few years we have seen many talented young players come through from smaller rural clubs that are not renowned for producing top hurlers and this is thanks in no small part to the experience gained at top level schools hurling. This is an area we will inevitably lose ground on in the coming years given the lack of schools we already have competing in the harty in comparision to the other Munster counties.

One of the best posts ive seen on this thread. Realistically next year there wont be any dungarvan area involved in the harty cup as the CBS team just wont be strong enough when they loose all the lads that have won all irelands the past few years Daly the Currans etc. It really is a shame. But tribute must be paid to these players who carried the mantle on their own without the friary right back to those who won the Harty cup for the first time two years ago. They will go down as the best crop of players Dungarvan CBS ever produced. A school of 250 odd competing with schools who have over 1000 pupils

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

IanVW wrote: »
    1 sok
    2 s fives
    3 coughlan
    4 connors/bourke
    5 philip mahoney
    6 brick
    7 moran
    8 s o sullivan
    9 nagle
    10 dillon
    11 molumphy
    12 pauric mahoney
    13 jamie barron
    14 prender
    15 maurice

Thats a fair guess id say. What a bout darragh fives and does anyone know what way lawlor is looking this year? I know his knees give him wicked trouble. Its always hard to predict what kind of team well have in the league especially with so many young lads being looked at at the moment. But come championship time the above team wont be far off

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

robopaddy wrote: »
    Wouldnt be worried about that result many of these lads have harty medals from last year and the year before the groundwork has already been done. The big issue going forward is that players from the dungarvan schools will no longer have exposure to this level of hurling following the decision to scrap the almalgamated schools due to dungarvan colleges success over the past couple years. CBS will realistically not be able to compete at this level once the current crop of players moves on due to the size of the school. The past few years we have seen many talented young players come through from smaller rural clubs that are not renowned for producing top hurlers and this is thanks in no small part to the experience gained at top level schools hurling. This is an area we will inevitably lose ground on in the coming years given the lack of schools we already have competing in the harty in comparision to the other Munster counties.

I think some credit must go to the development squads aswell for gettin these lads from rural clubs training and playing at a decent level each week. Let's be honest division 3 and 4 in the county championships cant accommodate the top players in rural areas because of the lack of players upto the age an so rely on younger players to fill the voids.I remember at a coaching conference few years back(2010 I think) an Martin Fogarty being very impreased with the coaching set up in the county said we would win an All Ireland in next few years an we won a minor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

I think some credit must go to the development squads aswell for gettin these lads from rural clubs training and playing at a decent level each week. Let's be honest division 3 and 4 in the county championships cant accommodate the top players in rural areas because of the lack of players upto the age an so rely on younger players to fill the voids.I remember at a coaching conference few years back(2010 I think) an Martin Fogarty being very impreased with the coaching set up in the county said we would win an All Ireland in next few years an we won a minor

I agree 100% but the harty cup is invaluable in giving more lads a chance to perform at the top level against quality opposition in a comptitive environment and it has proven to bring a lot of lads onto the next level.

1 sok
    2 s fives
    3 coughlan
    4 connors/bourke
    5 philip mahoney
    6 brick
    7 moran
    8 s o sullivan
    9 nagle
    10 dillon
    11 molumphy
    12 pauric mahoney
    13 jamie barron
    14 prender
    15 maurice

The fullback position is a worry yet again with Liam Lawlors knee trouble he has been doing his own training on the side from what I've seen. I dont mean to be harsh but I feel Coughlan is a bit out of his depth for inter county a good club hurler no doubt but its hard to sit back an study a full back in a county championship where there isn't a proper full forward to trouble them, so what are our plan b an c for that position if lawlor don't come right.

1 sok
    2 s fives
    3 coughlan
    4 connors/bourke
    5 philip mahoney
    6 brick
    7 moran
    8 s o sullivan
    9 nagle
    10 dillon
    11 molumphy
    12 pauric mahoney
    13 jamie barron
    14 prender
    15 maurice

The fullback position is a worry yet again with Liam Lawlors knee trouble he has been doing his own training on the side from what I've seen. I dont mean to be harsh but I feel Coughlan is a bit out of his depth for inter county a good club hurler no doubt but its hard to sit back an study a full back in a county championship where there isn't a proper full forward to trouble them, so what are our plan b an c for that position if lawlor don't come right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

He's been doing his own trainign the last two year two as far as I know, or certainly for large portion of 2012 I think. Didn't feature in several challenge games so as not to over tax the knee, wouldn't say the ground at this time of year would suit it, but then I don't know much about knee injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Kevin daly yes its early for him but would they groom him as a corner back,then full.

I saw him again yesterday,he oozes class.He has it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

1 sok
    2 s fives
    3 coughlan
    4 connors/bourke
    5 philip mahoney
    6 brick
    7 moran
    8 s o sullivan
    9 nagle
    10 dillon
    11 molumphy
    12 pauric mahoney
    13 jamie barron
    14 prender
    15 maurice

Hate to say it but looking at the team, and beside Darragh Fives would be our strongest, the forwards don't inspire confidence.

I think 1 to 9 we are very strong.

All good hurlers individually but I'd love to see more athletic guys up there.
    Personally I think we need to move D Fives up there or try him out at least.

What would those forwards score against Corks backs come championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

He's been doing his own trainign the last two year two as far as I know, or certainly for large portion of 2012 I think. Didn't feature in several challenge games so as not to over tax the knee, wouldn't say the ground at this time of year would suit it, but then I don't know much about knee injuries.
    He is either fit or he is not fit simple as that. we do too much minding on some players. everybody is replaceable. Give some other guy a go and see how he goes. Lawlor coming to the end anyway so is going to have to be replaced anyway soon so just bite the bullet and do it this year. Training on his own is no good in my opinion and no good for moral. You be surprised how good those knees would get if Kevin daly started playing well there. Needs to be addressed and I suspect it will

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sliabh gCua

babs123 wrote: »
    He is either fit or he is not fit simple as that. we do too much minding on some players. everybody is replaceable. Give some other guy a go and see how he goes. Lawlor coming to the end anyway so is going to have to be replaced anyway soon so just bite the bullet and do it this year. Training on his own is no good in my opinion and no good for moral. You be surprised how good those knees would get if Kevin daly started playing well there. Needs to be addressed and I suspect it will

In another sport, about 20 years ago there was another fellow by the name of Paul McGrath you might have heard of him who seldom if ever trained for years, but when it came to games his name was one of the first on every team sheet and he never let any side he played in down.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

In another sport, about 20 years ago there was another fellow by the name of Paul McGrath you might have heard of him who seldom if ever trained for years, but when it came to games his name was one of the first on every team sheet and he never let any side he played in down.

Hardly comparing Liam lawlor to paul mcgrath?

Am I correct in saying your comparing Paul Mcgrath with Lawlor! Oh my good god. Get real man. The guy is not fit , doesn't look fit and has no interest in getting fit which is the annoying part. If you can play a game you can train simple as that. Played for club and couldn't train with county!!whats that about. too many egos in Waterford that's why none of them had celtic crosses in the last ten years and until such time we start putting everyone on a level playing field it will continue. If you want to play you have to train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Am I correct in saying your comparing Paul Mcgrath with Lawlor! Oh my good god. Get real man. The guy is not fit , doesn't look fit and has no interest in getting fit which is the annoying part. If you can play a game you can train simple as that. Played for club and couldn't train with county!!whats that about. too many egos in Waterford that's why none of them had celtic crosses in the last ten years and until such time we start putting everyone on a level playing field it will continue. If you want to play you have to train.
    How do you know if he has no interest in getting fit?? what a stupid thing to say. Why would you make a guy train in conditions which are not beneficial to him? Obviously he was going to play for his club, I'm pretty sure if he wasn't training with the county, he wasn't training with the club either.
    You're saying he has an ego because he needs to do his own training, which I'm sure the management and physios are supporting him with. Go back to the Johns

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Someone could be extremely fit doing training which is a bit easier on the knee. For example swimming or cycling.

Also, just because a lad isn't going 100% into sprints at the start of the year, don't assume he isn't giving it 100% in other ways.

Personally, I would be a little worried about Lawlor's mobility, but I wouldn't rule him out on the basis of his training. Tony Browne hasn't been out training with the team in January for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Playing games is better for bringing you on than any training session. Sure when you're at training all you see is lads from the Johns in the corner of the pitch with clipboards scouting players anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭seananigans

Ropaire wrote: »
    Playing games is better for bringing you on than any training session. Sure when you're at training all you see is lads from the Johns in the corner of the pitch with clipboards scouting players anyway.

Would you quit it with your agenda, what do you expect to happen as a result of your bitching? change the world? fact is the lads make their own decisions and that needs to be respected, so stop trying to stifle the discussion by funneling this down to your small parish narrowmindedness , you;ve made your point .time to build a bridge and get over it (preferably to KK so we don't have to fecking hear from ye)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

Personally Abbeysides Sean O'Hare had a very good campaign there this year. obviously club is very different to county, Kevin Daly for the future? Maybe would like to see him improve on pace as, I think if he was isolated with a quick forward he wouldnt stand a chance

• Advertisement

Coughlan had a very good club campaign in 2013, I don't know why people are writing him off already?? I saw one game he played v UL 2 weeks ago and he kept Jonathan Glynn very quiet. Someone said it's hard to judge him on club form but how much was Pudge Hurney after scoring in the championship before Abbeyside played Ballygunner and he was held scoreless!
    That's not to say Liam Lawlor shouldn't be considered either, the best full back we've had since Cullinane and people are giving out about his fitness because he trains on his own, that's gas.
    As for Kevin Daly, I'm a big fan of him but he's in his leaving cert year and I think a few years with the u21s will do him no harm

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    How do you know if he has no interest in getting fit?? what a stupid thing to say. Why would you make a guy train in conditions which are not beneficial to him? Obviously he was going to play for his club, I'm pretty sure if he wasn't training with the county, he wasn't training with the club either.
    You're saying he has an ego because he needs to do his own training, which I'm sure the management and physios are supporting him with. Go back to the Johns
    I think you will find he has less support than he thinks. He went playing for his club when Waterford were training already this year. played very well to be fair and then turned around and cant train for county. Get real boy for god sake and take the blinkers out of your eyes. He is a good hurler but he is not indespensible

Would you quit it with your agenda, what do you expect to happen as a result of your bitching? change the world? fact is the lads make their own decisions and that needs to be respected, so stop trying to stifle the discussion by funneling this down to your small parish narrowmindedness , you;ve made your point .time to build a bridge and get over it (preferably to KK so we don't have to fecking hear from ye)
    I love u ropaire .Talking sense. We are surrounded by johns and scully lovers.
    Speak your mind

I love u ropaire .Talking sense. We are surrounded by johns and scully lovers.
    Speak your mind

user_online.pngreport.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 allllcounty

Kevin Daly reminds me of a younger version of Lawlor. He is strong, calm under pressure, when lawlor is in the team we dont concede soft goals but his one weakness is his lack of pace similar to Daly. I would like to see Coughlan tried out in the league as I haven't seen much of him other than the odd club game. When he comes up against the best full forwards in the country he might be a liability so he would need to be tested in the league first. Daly is too young this year but next year he is worth a call up to the panel.

Hi everybody
    was always only a follower but decided to join. (not the johns)
    What in the name of god is going on with the johns and rathgormack. we all know who the johns are and if you don't you will soon enough when they take your most promising players. Is anybody else feeling this??? we truly have enough. They have no more players they can take from us. Needs to be addressed. I think the whole transfer system needs to be addressed in this county. The county boards needs to be strong on this and it needs addressing.
    Any chance you go back to being a follower?

Coughlan had a very good club campaign in 2013, I don't know why people are writing him off already?? I saw one game he played v UL 2 weeks ago and he kept Jonathan Glynn very quiet. Someone said it's hard to judge him on club form but how much was Pudge Hurney after scoring in the championship before Abbeyside played Ballygunner and he was held scoreless!
    That's not to say Liam Lawlor shouldn't be considered either, the best full back we've had since Cullinane and people are giving out about his fitness because he trains on his own, that's gas.
    As for Kevin Daly, I'm a big fan of him but he's in his leaving cert year and I think a few years with the u21s will do him no harm
    Fair point with daly ,he is a gem though.

You said you were at the ul match,tell me what did you make of the ul no 3 and full back jack sheehan?from cork

Fair point with daly ,he is a gem though.

You said you were at the ul match,tell me what did you make of the ul no 3 and full back jack sheehan?from cork
    He was very impressive, Maurice Shan couldn't get anything off him and had to be moved, they kept swapping Shane Walsh, Jamie Baron, Jake Dillon into full forward but had no luck in there. I'm surprised I've never heard of him before that game. Has he featured on any of the County panels before?

He was very impressive, Maurice Shan couldn't get anything off him and had to be moved, they kept swapping Shane Walsh, Jamie Baron, Jake Dillon into full forward but had no luck in there. I'm surprised I've never heard of him before that game. Has he featured on any of the County panels before?
    Cheers much appreciate it

None at all with eirns own ,and was centre back but played as a ball winning ,forward ,at centre forward at senior.

I didnt think he would be on the ul team,but lohan has seen talent to start the lad.I hope he gets a run in the fitzgibbon,id go for a luck.
    If its okay with you I would post your views on him on the cork thread as a cork poster wanted to know about him.

• Advertisement

Cheers much appreciate it

None at all with eirns own ,and was centre back but played as a ball winning ,forward ,at centre forward at senior.

I didnt think he would be on the ul team,but lohan has seen talent to start the lad.I hope he gets a run in the fitzgibbon,id go for a luck.
    If its okay with you I would post your views on him on the cork thread as a cork poster wanted to know about him.
    work away!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement