Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmets - the definitive thread.. ** Mod Note - Please read Opening Post **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

I'm sure its on here somewhere but sorry I'm not going through 50 pages to find it. Crashed this morning on ice and hit my head slightly on the intial fall as I then glided along the road on my Ass! Appears to be no real damage to the helmet except some dirt.

So here is the question : Replace it or not?

It seems fine but I see a lot of sites saying replace it, I even saw one that said replace if you drop it?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,325 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

elnino23 wrote: »
    I'm sure its on here somewhere but sorry I'm not going through 50 pages to find it. Crashed this morning on ice and hit my head slightly on the intial fall as I then glided along the road on my Ass! Appears to be no real damage to the helmet except some dirt.

So here is the question : Replace it or not?

It seems fine but I see a lot of sites saying replace it, I even saw one that said replace if you drop it?
    If it's had an impact, replace. Some manufacturers offer crash replacements at reduced cost so it's worth asking

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭bedirect

High Vis or helmets, I think most drivers see cyclists but you can meet drivers that are drunk, drugged, talking on mobile phones, poor eyesight, distracted by children etc, so if wearing something more visible helps your chances or a helmet might save your head, i say go for it. There is only 1 winner in a collision between a cyclist & a car

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

bedirect wrote: »
    High Vis or helmets, I think most drivers see cyclists but you can meet drivers that are drunk, drugged, talking on mobile phones, poor eyesight, distracted by children etc, so if wearing something more visible helps your chances or a helmet might save your head, i say go for it. There is only 1 winner in a collision between a cyclist & a car
    At least you've been reading the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I thought this thread had been full circle by now. I even went through a brief period of posting each of the original posts in sequence. No one noticed. I am glad this thread is here though as it keeps so much nonsense out of other threads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Raam wrote: »
    I thought this thread had been full circle by now. I even went through a brief period of posting each of the original posts in sequence. No one noticed. I am glad this thread is here though as it keeps so much nonsense out of other threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

This morning on my way to work I was hit by a car...The lady continued driving...She didn't even know what to do in an accident. The traffic started moving again and she moved off.
    That's where a call to the Gardai becomes necessary.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Every day there are incidents on the trip to work. Some of the stuff you witness is mental

What are incidents?

Are you trying to make out that you see collisions or nothwothy near collisions daily? Where's your commute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

monument wrote: »
    What are incidents?

Are you trying to make out that you see collisions or nothwothy near collisions daily? Where's your commute?

An incident, an occurance, something happening. Sometimes it's a big thing, sometimes it's a small thing. Road rage, punishment passes, cars swerving, padestrians stepping out in front of vehicles, running red lights. One woman crossing the road slapped this mans BMW as he was over the padestrian line... Self entitled so and so.

One day a car overtook about 8 other cars, driving into oncomming traffic (which had to stop) just so he could take his turn a little earlier. Funny thing is, the barrier which was open, closed on his nice big car, lol :P

Blackrock area to Clontarf area is my commute. What's yours?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bedirect wrote: »
    Just in case there is any confusion.

Bicycle helmets are only designed to protect a cyclist falling off a bike up to about 20-30Kmph.

They are not designed to offer significant protection for a collision with a motor vehicle at 50Kmph+ , for that you'd need something much stronger like a motorbike helmet.

High levels of high Viz, means motorists may be come lazy because they are conditioned to cyclists being easy to see and thus won't look as hard in future.

Ninja cyclists serve to keep motorists on their toes. But they are scary and should be arrested. High Vis at night is almost useless. lights and reflectors (not all high vis are equal) matter much more than colour.

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    hivisteria and helmetophilia
    Added to vocabulary. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

This was on BBC News this morning:

Cycling ad banned over 'no helmet' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-25926572

The article reads like this thread to an extent :pac: Might be quicker to point people there.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What's next for the Advertising Standards Authority I wonder?

"I'm sorry Food Standards Agency, but we know best about how to safely cook meat. Your ad is banned'.

"No, NHS, we don't think you're qualified to give advice on eating healthily and avoiding heart disease".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

What's next for the Advertising Standards Authority I wonder?

"I'm sorry Food Standards Agency, but we know best about how to safely cook meat. Your ad is banned'.

"No, NHS, we don't think you're qualified to give advice on eating healthily and avoiding heart disease".

I doubt it is too far off. Didn't they want to ban cheese adverts here during kids tv too?

Either way the UK ASA seems to be lumping not wearing a lid as being as bad as smoking or drink driving which is a little strong.

And dont get me started on the complaints re road posistion

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

They are just following the Irish standards authority lead: http://irishcycle.com/2013/08/12/cycling-ads-banned-but-illegal-driving-reflects-heritage/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This was on BBC News this morning:

Cycling ad banned over 'no helmet' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-25926572
    But bicycle helmets aren't designed to handle collisions with motorists.

monument wrote: »
    They are just following the Irish standards authority lead: http://irishcycle.com/2013/08/12/cycling-ads-banned-but-illegal-driving-reflects-heritage/
    Who has the time to be complaining about adverts? If an ad annoys me, I don't buy whatever they're advocating. That's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

No Pants wrote: »
    Who has the time to be complaining about adverts? If an ad annoys me, I don't buy whatever they're advocating. That's it.

It's thin-end-of-the-wedge/slippery-slope territory, unfortunately.

Advertising is a powerful medium. If it wasn't, industry, commerce and other vested interests would not be spending billions on it.

The effect of such bans is that the image of cycling promoted in the mass media is only that approved by people whose primary interest is not the promotion of cycling.

By way of illustration, in the Irish context, the ASAI is of the view that cars can be depicted driving at speed even in urban settings, on the entirely fabricated grounds that drivers of certain brands of car are the sort of people who are careful and responsible. However, a family cannot be shown cycling happily and healthily on an off-road cycle path in a sunlit park without helmets because that is risky behaviour and sets a bad example.

Cultural messages: (1) drivers are responsible people and certain brands of car can be regarded as inherently safe; (2) cycling is inherently dangerous, and cyclists must be protected from their own folly and lack of responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    By way of illustration, in the Irish context, the ASAI is of the view that cars can be depicted driving at speed even in urban settings, on the entirely fabricated grounds that drivers of certain brands of car are the sort of people who are careful and responsible. However, a family cannot be shown cycling happily and healthily on an off-road cycle path in a sunlit park without helmets because that is risky behaviour and sets a bad example.

The ASAI are conducting a review of their advertising code - http://www.asai.ie/survey.asp

It's officially closed, but the form is still open for submissions if anyone didn't get around to doing it before.

Car ads don't tend to show people or traffic at all.

MOD VOICE: Hi vis stuff moved to new thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88491882#

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

And dont get me started on the complaints re road posistion

I am pulsating with rage over the bit about the car having to almost cross the line to overtake.

Whoever wrote that judgement should be dragged out and shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

CramCycle wrote: »
    MOD VOICE: Hi vis stuff moved to new thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88491882#

Sorry mate, I didn't see it. :pac:

hardCopy wrote: »
    I am pulsating with rage over the bit about the car having to almost cross the line to overtake.

Whoever wrote that judgement should be dragged out and shot.
    I went back to the article to take another look at the overtake shot that was there earlier and now it's gone. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

buffalo wrote: »
    The ASAI are conducting a review of their advertising code - http://www.asai.ie/survey.asp

It's officially closed, but the form is still open for submissions if anyone didn't get around to doing it before.

Dunno about the UK, but here in Ireland, the ASAI have absolutely no power. They are a self-appointed 'self-regulating' industry watchdog, appointed and funded by the advertising industry. The only power they have is name and shame.

If want to make a real complaint, contact the www.bai.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

that not advertising standards, it's plain censorship

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

that not advertising standards, it's plain censorship

They've withdrawn the ban: http://road.cc/content/news/109781-asa-suspends-ban-cycling-scotland-advert-pending-independent-review
    The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has said it has withdrawn its formal ruling against Cycling Scotland’s ‘See Cyclist. Think Horse’ advert, announced yesterday, “pending the outcome of an Independent Review.

• Advertisement

Those MPs fairly pulled the ruling apart.

Advertisement