Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straight Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

Great idea! Loving it! Right ill pm you the donation payment confirmation tomoro evening

So regarding choosing the pieces, I'm a fan of silly, bright and different colours, so the blue handle, or scale as the pros call it, Is right up my alley!

Choosing the blade is a little more difficult as I don't know any brand names yet.
    As far as appearances go, the Gala and Crown & Sword 1 have caught my eye.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking at when picking a blade ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

TheJims wrote: »
    Great idea! Loving it! Right ill pm you the donation payment confirmation tomoro evening

So regarding choosing the pieces, I'm a fan of silly, bright and different colours, so the blue handle, or scale as the pros call it, Is right up my alley!

Choosing the blade is a little more difficult as I don't know any brand names yet.
    As far as appearances go, the Gala and Crown & Sword 1 have caught my eye.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking at when picking a blade ? :)

As a newbie probably avoid the Gala - it is slightly pointy and liable to catch you out. I also have just noticed a small bend at the tip I don't know if I can straighten. The Crown and Sword is a good choice. Blue scales it is, so.

Into the rough tumbler with the Crown and sword tonight. More pics tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Raoul

MadsL wrote: »
    As a newbie probably avoid the Gala - it is slightly pointy and liable to catch you out. I also have just noticed a small bend at the tip I don't know if I can straighten. The Crown and Sword is a good choice. Blue scales it is, so.

Into the rough tumbler with the Crown and sword tonight. More pics tomorrow.

Extremely jealous!!! :mad:

Great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

i know, this is awesome lol

be pretty cool to watch and read all about it as it comes together, then actually see it in my hands when its done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

MadsL wrote: »
    Right Jims. Had a sort out today and a look at one corner of the restoration pile that I have been tipping away at.

Speaking of your restoration pile, did you ever get around to finishing up the Barnescone you had a while ago?

The one in this link.

• Advertisement

@hitemfrank

Yes, I sort of did. I've finished the sanding/polishing but I'm still looking for some decent scales. I must finish it as I think it would suit my beard.

Nervous about the wedge honing though.

Some pics of it here.
    http://i.imgur.com/3NlvTpV.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/lCMNGA5.jpg

You've had that thing like 18 months, finish the feckin' thing already. It's a great blade shape.

Have you not honed a wedge before?

hitemfrank wrote: »
    You've had that thing like 18 months, finish the feckin' thing already. It's a great blade shape.

Have you not honed a wedge before?

I know. I've also been fixing the roof, replacing doors, windowsills and repairing a pond system in my new house. Priorities, lol.

I've not honed a wedge, I have another I wanted to try first. But fair comment, it is a very pretty blade and probably 1850-ish.

I can't really give you flack for not finishing that razor, I've a number of razor related things I've wanted to do but not got around to.

I have three empty cigar boxes that I plan to turn into storage cases for my straight razors. They have been sitting in the same spot for the last year or so gathering dust.

I also have a couple of razors I want to run through the tumbler you gave to me before you left for the US. I haven't got around to doing them because I haven't got pins, washers or a ball peen hammer. All things I could pick up rather easily on ebay.

I'll get around to doing them at some point.

I have honed one very near wedge though. The thing is quite warped though, so it currently has some crazy looking hone wear from when I got fed up trying to tape the spine in certain places ans just honed through the warping. Shaves nice though. It also needs to be repinned...

Revisor sell pins and washers btw

• Advertisement

I had forgotten they sold those. I get distracted by their razors whenever I go to the site. They have added 7/8ths to their production now...

A pack of pins and a €200 7/8ths will you are there then..

That's what I'm afraid of :D

I'll probably order from there and pick up a peel hammer locally and get to it.

That's what I'm afraid of :D

I'll probably order from there and pick up a peel hammer locally and get to it.

Got to polish your hammer first before the get to-ing...

You know, if I wasn't such a learned gentleman I may mistake that piece of advice as a euphemism.

Raoul wrote: »
    Extremely jealous!!! :mad:

Great idea!

Raoul, your inbox is full. But answering your PM, yep got it.

Raoul, your inbox is full. But answering your PM, yep got it.

Sorted now thanks!

From another thread:
    I'm hoping to treat myself to something similar in the spring. Where's the best place to order an affordable, shave ready straight?

Just a couple of questions to try narrow down the search.

What do you think your budget would be for the razor (excluding the strop)? Does it have to be a new razor or would a vintage razor be of interest?

That's pretty much it really. If I think of other questions I'll ask them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What do you think your budget would be for the razor (excluding the strop)? Does it have to be a new razor or would a vintage razor be of interest?

I'll probably try to keep it as cheap as possible in case it doesn't work out. A vintage razor would do fine. I don't really know much about prices, apart from what I've seen on Whipped Dog. :o

Well if you want to keep it cheap a Whipped Dog razor would do fine. He would buy it back off you too, if you didn't like it.

You could also send me a PM around the time you are wanting to try out a razor and I'll post you a honed up Gold Dollar. If you like it you can buy yourself a nicer razor and send the GD back to me.

Look out for a cheap strop as well as you will likely out small cuts in it. You don't want to cut up a €70 strop the first time you use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

How does the Gold Dollar shave hmf? For the price I might take a punt, buy one and give it a try if it shaves well.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    How does the Gold Dollar shave hmf? For the price I might take a punt, buy one and give it a try if it shaves well.

They shave fine once they have been honed.

Out of the box, they wont shave. They all need to be honed properly.If you're lucky you will get one which just needs to be honed.

A lot of them will come with other defects like tang near the pivot will be warped, the grind may not be symetrical, the edge might be in a frown instead of straight and some other stuff. The isssues can be worked out but it takes time.

The main issue they seem to have is the stabillisers can be too wide and really interfere with honing. This was a fairly common issue but I have read about the quality improving and more people are getting them without this issue. The two I bought don't have this issue.

But they do only cost a few quid so if you are considering one, i would say buy a couple. You increase you chances of getting one with decent quality control applied to it (by cheap chinese standards anyway).

I have a second one to hone up, so I could send that your way to try out if you want. I should have time to hone it either tomorrow or saturday and have it ready next week.

Anyway, once you know what you're getting into with a Gold Dollar they are fine. I wouldn't advise someone can't hone to pick one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Being honest, it's all the prep and maintenance that puts me off straight razors. I'm not the greatest DIY kinda guy.

I'm down with some sort of flu like symptoms right now so when I get back on my feet I'll give this some further consideration.

Thanks for the response and the loan out offer, will be in touch.

Once a straight razor has been honed there isn't all that much maintenance to do really. Strop it before a shave, make sure it dry after a shave and once in a while the edge will need a quick touch up to get it back sharp again.

The touch up is just some back and forth strokes on a finishing hone and lapping film makes it really cheap and easy to do.

Once a straight razor has been honed there isn't all that much maintenance to do really. Strop it before a shave, make sure it dry after a shave and once in a while the edge will need a quick touch up to get it back sharp again.

The touch up is just some back and forth strokes on a finishing hone and lapping film makes it really cheap and easy to do.

How often does a razor need this touch up? Like how many shave roughly?

As for maintenance, all I do is strop it before the shave and strop it a few times after the shave on the canvas side. Thats it. Takes about 1 min now that I have gotten good at stropping.

There are different factors that will degrade the edge to the point it needs a touch up. The steel used, your stropping and shaving techniques and some other stuff.

You will know when it needs attention when the razor starts to pull instead of cutting the hair nicely. When it starts to pull you can get it back easily enough with just stropping paste. When the stropping paste becomes ineffective, then the razor will need a hone.h

I just go straight to lapping film when the edge starts to pull as it's really quick to sort the edge out. I also like the edges that lapping film produces, so that's always a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Dramatik

I just go straight to lapping film when the edge starts to pull as it's really quick to sort the edge out. I also like the edges that lapping film produces, so that's always a plus.

What kind of lapping film do you use? Is there anywhere in Ireland that you can get it? I'd be interested trying some of it out

Cable Monkey have it.

http://www.cablemonkey.ie/fibre-consumables/496-fibre-optic-lapping-film.html

You would want from 12u to 1u to go from bevel setting to finishing. Put a layer of wet paper under the 1u to finish an it should be a comfortable edge.

You need a really flat and smooth surface to put the lapping film on. Some marble tile or a piece of float glass works fine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I bit the bullet and ordered an unseen straight from Whipped Dog last night. Will post a photo when it arrives next week or the week after. Until then?
    Beard on! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Cable Monkey have it.

http://www.cablemonkey.ie/fibre-consumables/496-fibre-optic-lapping-film.html

You would want from 12u to 1u to go from bevel setting to finishing. Put a layer of wet paper under the 1u to finish an it should be a comfortable edge.

You need a really flat and smooth surface to put the lapping film on. Some marble tile or a piece of float glass works fine.

Cheers thanks for that, I'd only be looking for the the finishing stuff, 1u??? , just to see if it's any better than what I'm currently finishing on. Would it be cool to use it on top of a a hone or would that contaminate the hone? I have a small mirror as well, I wonder if that'd be flat enough.

Advertisement