Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straight Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Yea, stropping before you shave is the most important thing. Especially if you have a tough stubble.

I went about 3 weeks without nicking mine. Thought I was the king, but now I have many nicks on it. I bit of light sanding and forehead oil rubbed into the crack will do the trick.

Paradoxically, the shaving part is the easiest - at least on my cheeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

I have been messing with a shavette I had lying around and I found the cheeks and neck were surprisingly okay but the chin and upper lip were a no go area for the moment.

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    I have been messing with a shavette I had lying around and I found the cheeks and neck were surprisingly okay but the chin and upper lip were a no go area for the moment.

Same as me then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Honed my razor last night with terrific results. I did about 15 - 20 laps on a Belgian Blue wetstone. This stone is quiet versatile in that the more laps you do, the more slurry builds up thus increasing the grit.

Therefore you can use it as a polisher/refresher or with more laps it progresses into a cutter for older blades.

I took my time and used the instrustions from the many (many) videos and articles on the net. Followed up by a good strop, the results were fantastic. so smooth.

I'd glady polish razors you have if your interested.
    I worked in a butchers for 5 years honing delicate knives and it seemed to carry over when I worked on my straight. As easy touch is key.

Honed my razor last night with terrific results. I did about 15 - 20 laps on a Belgian Blue wetstone. This stone is quiet versatile in that the more laps you do, the more slurry builds up thus increasing the grit.

Therefore you can use it as a polisher/refresher or with more laps it progresses into a cutter for older blades.

I took my time and used the instrustions from the many (many) videos and articles on the net. Followed up by a good strop, the results were fantastic. so smooth.

I worked in a butchers for 5 years honing delicate knives and it seemed to carry over when I worked on my straight. As easy touch is key.

Nice one, I bought a cheap straight to practice honing with. I managed to sharpen it up quite nicely with a 4k/8k combo waterstone. I spent hours getting comfortable with the technique but it is definitely developing. After a while you start to get a feel for it which was initially absent. Moving on to a better quality razor made a world of difference also. There was much better weight, balance and feedback from the strokes.

• Advertisement

Chris, was that the norton 4/8k? I was looking at them myself.
    Its hard to get a defined grit level for the one im using because its a natural stone. some poeple estimate them at about 9-12k so not much chance of 'over honing' the blade, which I like.

Chris, was that the norton 4/8k? I was looking at them myself.
    Its hard to get a defined grit level for the one im using because its a natural stone. some poeple estimate them at about 9-12k so not much chance of 'over honing' the blade, which I like.

Yes its the Norton. Seems to be a nice stone to learn with plus this video helped me with some pointers. I don't think I would pass the hanging hair test just yet though.. :pac:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tTYbj9ARhk&feature=related

Funny my razor doesnt pass the hanging hair test but It litterally wipes 4 day stubble off my face with ease.

I wouldnt base everything on that test method.. Even when I got the razor from one of the UK's top honemeisters it didnt pass it.

I'm interested where do I sign up :D

MediaTank wrote: »
    I'm interested where do I sign up :D

I'l pm you my address and you can post it over

• Advertisement

I'l pm you my address and you can post it over

Great. Thanks.

MT

I think I'm finally getting the hang of this :D I made a first attempt at the chin area this morning. Stretch, stretch is the only way.

I've also acquired a Thiers Issard straight and a paddle strop. This type of strop is much easier to use and the razor is fantastic.

I also took SeanQuagmire up on his honing offer and he did a great job. Thanks Sean.

No bother.

Ooo got any pics of the Thiers Issard straight, they are beautiful. seen one on youtube before and it was like an axe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old'n'Cranky

So what is the best way to preserve a straight?
    What would you use or could you use to prevent the blade from oxidising?
    I mean could you even use WD40?

OldnCranky wrote: »
    So what is the best way to preserve a straight?
    What would you use or could you use to prevent the blade from oxidising?
    I mean could you even use WD40?

3 In 1 Oil, or yes even WD40.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old'n'Cranky

MediaTank wrote: »
    3 In 1 Oil, or yes even WD40.
    WD40 it is so, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Recently made the switch from a DE to straight razor. Shaving with a straight's so much fun and I think it's safe to say I've a healthy obsession with them now :p I've only used my DE once since I started using the straight and that was only to compare the shaves of the two. I can get really close to the closeness of my DE but not 100% I've no problems with the shave itself, just getting quicker each time. With a straight you defo don't want to rush it. It does take me longer to shave with it but I've just started shaving with it the night before rather than in the morning.

Just got a F.W. Engels "Leader" razor the other week :cool: It's a lovely shaver. I also have a Thiers Issard "Sparticus" razor too :p. My next purchase has gotta be a Dubl Duck "Goldedge" they're beautiful, they seem to be in pretty big demand at the moment so I think I'll wait a bit and see if I can get one cheap.

I was thinking of maybe starting a thread for people to put up pictures of their straights but I'm not sure if there's enough demand. What do you's think?

Also for those who are starting or thinking of starting I found this guy's videos a great help: http://www.youtube.com/user/geofatboy
    He also does DE videos as well so there's something there for you guys as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The Irish Independent have a picture of candidate Conor Lenihan going for a traditional shave..

613x459.jpg

---

A close shave
    Conor Lenihan gets a shave from John O'Loughlin at Johnny's Traditional Barber Shop, Tallaght, Dublin
    Credit: Brian McEvoy Date: February 24, 2011

---

http://photos.independent.ie/gallery/The_campaign_trail/slideshow/Conor_Lenihan_gets_a_shave_from_John_O%27Loughlin_at_Johnny%27s_Traditional_Barber_Shop%2C_Tallaght%2C_Dubli/07UJeNtcCn7dr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

desperatedanstraight.jpg

Taken from dad.ie. Dan and his Japanese straight, pinky extended..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Here's the image tags for the straight razor version of the shaving boardsie below if anyone wants....stand up all you 'straight' guys...kudos to Amalgam for the orginal artwork!!

Just put the http bits into tags

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm394/SmithfieldResi/shave.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

MadsL wrote: »
    Here's the image tags for the straight razor version of the shaving boardsie below if anyone wants....stand up all you 'straight' guys...

Nice.

I wonder how many on the board use straight razors.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Nice.

I wonder how many on the board use straight razors.

Are polls allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

MadsL wrote: »
    Here's the image tags for the straight razor version of the shaving boardsie below if anyone wants....stand up all you 'straight' guys...kudos to Amalgam for the orginal artwork!!

Cheers for that, I've been looking for a shaving related sig, since I changed from my last one.

Have to do a show and tell; :D

Just scored this on ebay for £41, I don't believe it has been in a drawer for 10 years but a new Dovo at basically half-price. I'm in.
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/220785892842

TN_405-003-00_tortoise_shell_straight_razor.jpg

Nice score there. That nick in the blade should come out in no time.

It will give me an excuse to get a King 1000 grit I have my eye on :)

As if you really needed an excuse :P

Oh dear, RAD I got bad. Just bought this for £8.

http://cgi.ebay.com/230625297333

Hoping (fingers crossed) that the 'upturn' at the end of that isn't too much of a **** to hone. If not I might have a nice brace of Gottas. I love my other one, great edge.

So when that Gotta arrives, how many straights will you have?

• Advertisement

So when that Gotta arrives, how many straights will you have?

Somewhere north of 15-16. I have about 5-6 that are in shave condition and in my rotation. The rest is process of restoration...here's three blades almost finished. A Taylors Eye witness, a pre-1891 Myers Sheffield and a gem of pre-1891 Sheffield Barnescone thats almost a wedge. The Barnescone was in rag order.

(sorry for the bad pics - must get a decent camera - clickables below)

th_IMG_1893.jpg

th_IMG_1894.jpg

Advertisement