Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cull cows

Options
  • 09-11-2013 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

Selling cull friesian Holstein cows to a dealer out of the yard. Average weight 620kg. Condition score 3. What is a fair price for them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭easymoney!

Selling cull friesian Holstein cows to a dealer out of the yard. Average weight 620kg. Condition score 3. What is a fair price for them

would sell wellin the mart if they were big stong cows ,, talking 1.30 to 1.50 a kg id say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

easymoney! wrote: »
    would sell wellin the mart if they were big stong cows ,, talking 1.30 to 1.50 a kg id say?
    had a cow in mart last week straight from parlour 570kg got 630 euro, no feeding in her, neighbour sold 11 to a dealer got 6300 for the 11 said there where a few shook ones in it

whelan1 wrote: »
    had a cow in mart last week straight from parlour 570kg got 630 euro, no feeding in her, neighbour sold 11 to a dealer got 6300 for the 11 said there where a few shook ones in it

was she a smaller cow whelan,, cousin buys culls all the time and he"d a rather a big h/f to a small fleshy b/f 9 times out ten!!
    this qeustion was asked manys a time but there must a good twist to be got in culls in my opinion!

easymoney! wrote: »
    was she a smaller cow whelan,, cousin buys culls all the time and he"d a rather a big h/f to a small fleshy b/f 9 times out ten!!
    this qeustion was asked manys a time but there must a good twist to be got in culls in my opinion!
    she was a holstein 4yo was meaty enough but they dont weigh well when they are straight from parlour

have 6 now, think i will dry them off and sell them after xmas, was a load of cows in after mine all over 600kg and they where making on average 800 euro, they had been dry a while

• Advertisement

she was a holstein 4yo was meaty enough but they dont weigh well when they are straight from parlour

no they dont! he wont kill cows like that till next summer they dont do they"l hit the grass next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

They are straight from the parlour but with a bit of condition. Holstein/friesian and weighed on the scales. Three old thin ones and 27 good feeder cows. I am being offered e1/a kg live across the board. I would normally finish the but short of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

Take the 27 feeders to the mart and outwinter the three shook ones sand kill next may.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

They are straight from the parlour but with a bit of condition. Holstein/friesian and weighed on the scales. Three old thin ones and 27 good feeder cows. I am being offered e1/a kg live across the board. I would normally finish the but short of space.

what part of the country are you in? could be interested :o

simx wrote: »
    what part of the country are you in? could be interested :o

I sold them. Euro a kg out of the yard. Happy enough no haulage or mart fees and a few won't be worth feeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,110 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Was in nenagh today and there was only a good trade for cows well over 600 kg that were dried off and not straight from tjhe parlour.Thin,poor condition cows and anything straight from parloutr this am were poor,Barely made a euro a kg and many well under it.seen some young poor condition cows selling for around 300 euro but need a hell of a lot of feeding.
    I have some culls to go but will wait till first sale in jan as i want to max my stock relief.They are currently weighing from 580 to over 700 kg.They will be dried off in 2 weeks and be on restricted diet for a week and then ad lib silage and 4 kg of rolled barley until sale day.Always find that from now till xmas is a poor time to sell culls as there is always an ass load of them in marts,Always a better trade after xmas as there scarcer

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Was in nenagh today and there was only a good trade for cows well over 600 kg that were dried off and not straight from tjhe parlour.Thin,poor condition cows and anything straight from parloutr this am were poor,Barely made a euro a kg and many well under it.seen some young poor condition cows selling for around 300 euro but need a hell of a lot of feeding.
    I have some culls to go but will wait till first sale in jan as i want to max my stock relief.They are currently weighing from 580 to over 700 kg.They will be dried off in 2 weeks and be on restricted diet for a week and then ad lib silage and 4 kg of rolled barley until sale day.Always find that from now till xmas is a poor time to sell culls as there is always an ass load of them in marts,Always a better trade after xmas as there scarcer

some very poor cows there to day , a long road to the hook and that every thing going ok

did you see any of the herefords selling after the cow sale?

saw the making of one or two useful bulls

didn't wait for them as I dropped my first load off before 7 and 2 more after that

neither saw nor heard how they went jo,There was some nice lookin stock in it though.Was just in town and popped in to see how culls were going or not more to the point!!.Its beyond me why some people bring stock to the mart in the condition i saw some lots going through today,especially after the year we had

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭joe man utd

I have 18 not incalf and dried off and currently have them on maize munch and silage.. hoping to hold them till end of january and sell them once the glut of culls in December has died down.. the bad winter and bad silage of last year is still hitting us....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

wont u be well on the way to finishing them by january ... why bother with mart and just see them to a finish...

at those prices above from trip to mart anyone with space and grub should finish their culls (younger reasonably fleshed ones at least)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Di you have soya mixed with rolled barley? If so what ratio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

90% barley 10% soya is a 13.5% mix... eventhat could be high depending on silage imo

neither saw nor heard how they went jo,There was some nice lookin stock in it though.Was just in town and popped in to see how culls were going or not more to the point!!.Its beyond me why some people bring stock to the mart in the condition i saw some lots going through today,especially after the year we had
    i woild be assuming people are scraping money together for the tax man, but i do agree there is a limit to the type of screw you bring to the mart

I sold them. Euro a kg out of the yard. Happy enough no haulage or mart fees and a few won't be worth feeding.
    do you actually weigh them or guesstimate

No soya just rolled barley,they will be in first cut silage that tested over 15% protein and 76 dmd so that with rolled barley will do.

• Advertisement

wont u be well on the way to finishing them by january ... why bother with mart and just see them to a finish...

at those prices above from trip to mart anyone with space and grub should finish their culls (younger reasonably fleshed ones at least)...

Yep your proably right but I've no real experience of knowing when the ideal time is to slaughter an ainmAl,also I may only go to factory once a year and not really up to speed with grades ,base prices etc and I feel lads like me could be exploited a bit by agents.at least in mart if you don't get a fair price you can bring ainmAl home,you don't have that choice in factory.and I'll also be busy enough cone late jan with cows starting to calve etc without having an additional group of stock to look after

do you actually weigh them or guesstimate

Myself and a good friend bought a scales at the ploughing in 2011, 1200 yo yo. Money well spent. It's one of the things that a few farmers can buy between them, easy to transport and rarely clash. Handy for monitoring growing heifer weights as well.Also I see a local lad providing a service. If you'r selling in the yard knowing the weight and an idea of the going price, you'll know what to ask.

90% barley 10% soya is a 13.5% mix... eventhat could be high depending on silage imo

I think I mentioned on another thread how I finished culls last year on a 4 way mix think it was about 10%P silage was poor and scarce

I was very pleased with their weight gain and KO %

my motto for finishing culls is cheapest you can buy and give them a bit extra ,, differnt to growing stock

nenagh report on line now and as you say cull trade was lively, some nice prices

top hereford bull made 1750

and 1 that caught my eye made 1500, wonder if I waited what would he go for ?? :)

saw 2 heifers unsold yesterday at 950 . came back into the ring 15 minutes later and made 990

this is what has turned me against selling stock in the marts

jomoloney wrote: »
    I think I mentioned on another thread how I finished culls last year on a 4 way mix think it was about 10%P silage was poor and scarce

I was very pleased with their weight gain and KO %

my motto for finishing culls is cheapest you can buy and give them a bit extra ,, differnt to growing stock

What I normally do with culls is put them on adlib in a straw house. The calving shed with all the gates removed, a bale of straw in a round feeder. They have to be gone before the first cow calves. By taking them into the new year you get the stock relief and the cost of finishing is left in the old year. Will suit some people. However lack of space this year means I couldn't manage this.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭joe man utd

cull cows out our way were making 1.60/kg at the mart last monday. thats for a good fleshy cow with good condition.. i think its time to bite the bullet with mine and take them in the next few weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

cull cows out our way were making 1.60/kg at the mart last monday. thats for a good fleshy cow with good condition.. i think its time to bite the bullet with mine and take them in the next few weeks..

I would be biting off anyones hand offering that sort of money, that price will leave allot more than selling on the hook

I would be biting off anyones hand offering that sort of money, that price will leave allot more than selling on the hook

Took 2 to mart in Tuesday,dried six weeks on 5 kg of barley/hulls /distillers mix and ad lib straw and 4 kg silage in a bare paddock.weighed 805 kg made 1110 and 695 kg made 1005.think id of done well to get that in factory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Sent a cull still milking straight out of parlour with mastitis at the start of the week, she killed at 310 kg at 2.80/kg., that would put your 695 kg lady up 150 on my girl I'd guess

• Advertisement

Any reports from first sales of new year as regards culls.have a few going tomorrow that I've been feeding for the last month.all weigh 600 kg to over 700 kg

Advertisement