Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cull cows

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Was at couple of marts during the week, thought cull cow trade was strongish, a lot more fighting for them than before Xmas anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

How's cull cow trade going now? 600 kg Hol fr. Condition prob about 2.5 -3. Few to sell. Anyone any guide price. Hoping to sell from the yard to dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

Had a few at a dry cow sale last week was a good trade for firm straight feeder cows well fleshed ones were not as good imo accordingly one
    695 kg 920 euros
    755 kg 900
    815 kg 980 "she was still milking"
    Dont know what sort of cows ya have C4d78 but if they are HO i doubt they are only 600kgs "did you weigh them?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

C4d78 wrote: »
    How's cull cow trade going now? 600 kg Hol fr. Condition prob about 2.5 -3. Few to sell. Anyone any guide price. Hoping to sell from the yard to dealer
    bringing 1 tomorrow will report back, shes dry a while turned out not in calf

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

loveta wrote: »
    Had a few at a dry cow sale last week was a good trade for firm straight feeder cows well fleshed ones were not as good imo accordingly one
    695 kg 920 euros
    755 kg 900
    815 kg 980 "she was still milking"
    Dont know what sort of cows ya have C4d78 but if they are HO i doubt they are only 600kgs "did you weigh them?"

These are a few that went wrong after calving and were dried off in last few weeks. Not weighed but I'd be thinking not much more than 600kgs and not much condition on them after calving

• Advertisement

640 kg 850 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

How do ye dry off cows this time of the year, i need to reduce numbers and theyre a month calved??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

taking 5 to factory to morrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭mf240

kevthegaff wrote: »
    How do ye dry off cows this time of the year, i need to reduce numbers and theyre a month calved??

What's wrong with them Kev?

Very bare paddock and milk out and tube after a couple of days.

Don't be like me and too stingy too tube them and end up bolloxing with starts, lesson learned.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    would you not be better selling them as milkers or are they culls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oooge1

I've a chance to cull selectively for the first time ever, I've old cows ,three titters high cell count ones , is it best to dry of first or straight out the gate? They wouldn't be great for factory need a bit of bulkin up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

oooge1 wrote: »
    I've a chance to cull selectively for the first time ever, I've old cows ,three titters high cell count ones , is it best to dry of first or straight out the gate? They wouldn't be great for factory need a bit of bulkin up

It's more appealing to buyers if dried up some bit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Have a decent few 3 teat ladies here, its not a reason I can warrant culling for however ha, had 2 of them who still put out 7500l milk recorded last year. What about the rest of yas, do yas keep them? Like if those two had the 4 teats would they have put much more milk out?

I got offered about 450 each for 2 old big HO cows today from a dealer, straight out of the parlour. Mostly belly and tits I'll admit, but probably pushing 700kg! Will I do much better anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

Timmaay wrote: »
    Have a decent few 3 teat ladies here, its not a reason I can warrant culling for however ha, had 2 of them who still put out 7500l milk recorded last year. What about the rest of yas, do yas keep them? Like if those two had the 4 teats would they have put much more milk out?

I got offered about 450 each for 2 old big HO cows today from a dealer, straight out of the parlour. Mostly belly and tits I'll admit, but probably pushing 700kg! Will I do much better anywhere else?

If you went to a mart and there was only one guy buying the chances are you would not get a fair price, unless you knew exactly what they were worth, the same applies to a dealer in your yard its there biz to under pay. Bring them to the mart, they are a lively trade at the moment you wil find out there exact weight to and take the guess work out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Timmaay wrote: »

IF they were 3 teat ladies from the get go as heifers i find production doesn't seem to be back much on their peers, if it was a quarter dried off due to cell count or a bad case of mastitis, prod can be back a small bit sepending the cows recovery, but it is most def the lesser of two evils. I'd cull those on the same basis as any other cow really, fert, scc, yield-solids, etc. If they are doing ok and you don't want replacements from them just put them in calf to a beef breed

Advertisement