Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Garda Age Card,,,Whats The Point

  • 31-12-2013 8:07pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ coolock94


    ok im going on a rant,

    1) I was refused service with my age card in town over the weekend this made me furious the barman said they don't accept them as the Gardaí told them not to accept them, this is pure bull**** as the gardai are the ones who provide us with them.

    2) places breaking the law, the spar for example have a sign which indicates you must be over 21 to purchase alcohol in store, this is going against the law, the law states a person who is 18 or over can purchase alcohol in this country with a form of id which also takes me back to my 1st point the documents include, age card, passport, driving licence.

    why let people buy these cards if they are going to be refused it is so annoying being refused by these places.

    3) a question I would love to get cleared up, as the legal drinking age is 18 in Ireland are pubs and clubs allowed to refuse entry to people who are under 21 even if they have id. I ask this because its age discrimination if a 90 year old got turned away from a club for being to old that's age discrimination so why is it different for some who is under 21 but over 18.

    rant over lads any info would be great thanks.


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭ AdamD


    Well I've never had these issues with my age card


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭ coffee_cake


    coolock94 wrote: »
    2) places breaking the law, the spar for example have a sign which indicates you must be over 21 to purchase alcohol in store, this is going against the law, .

    No, it isn't
    Private business
    They don't have to sell you a thing


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭ Fr_Dougal


    Not tonight, son.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭ kneemos


    Many varied and valid points young man.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ coolock94


    but its age discrimination


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ JumpShivers


    Isn't a premises that sells alcohol allowed to set their own age limits?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭ Mint Aero


    Maybe you're a scumbag OP and they don't want you on their premises?


  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ markad1


    Ahhh memories.....white socks was another reason not to let you in.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 Pro Hoc Vice


    coolock94 wrote: »
    ok im going on a rant,

    1) I was refused service with my age card in town over the weekend this made me furious the barman said they don't accept them as the Gardaí told them not to accept them, this is pure bull**** as the gardai are the ones who provide us with them.

    2) places breaking the law, the spar for example have a sign which indicates you must be over 21 to purchase alcohol in store, this is going against the law, the law states a person who is 18 or over can purchase alcohol in this country with a form of id which also takes me back to my 1st point the documents include, age card, passport, driving licence.

    why let people buy these cards if they are going to be refused it is so annoying being refused by these places.

    3) a question I would love to get cleared up, as the legal drinking age is 18 in Ireland are pubs and clubs allowed to refuse entry to people who are under 21 even if they have id. I ask this because its age discrimination if a 90 year old got turned away from a club for being to old that's age discrimination so why is it different for some who is under 21 but over 18.

    rant over lads any info would be great thanks.


    The Garda Age card excuse was rubbish, but any person entitled to refuse.

    While age is a ground under equality legislation there is an exception between 18 and 21 (might be 23). So well within there rights to say no thanks.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ coolock94


    far from it


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ Froggy123


    I'd say the sign read that you cannot sell alcohol to anyone that looks under 21 that doesn't have id! In the last place I worked we had to ask anyone who looked under 21 for Id. It just covers all bases as sometimes it's hard to tell people's ages!!

    You where unlucky in that bar but is there a possibility you don't look like the photo on your Id card? You're meant to refuse anyone your not 100 percent about!!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ coolock94


    yeah fair enough, just the age card being refused made me pissed off


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭ kneemos


    coolock94 wrote: »
    yeah fair enough, just the age card being refused made me pissed off

    Get a passport.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ coolock94


    the spar don't sell to under 21s and the age card is very recent i look the same as i do in the picture


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ coolock94


    but that's the reason for the age card a passport is a very important document and if lost cost a fortune to replace and plus the age card only costs a tenner


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 Pro Hoc Vice


    kneemos wrote: »
    Get a passport.

    The funny thing is the only defence to serving an under age person is the Garda Age card a passport gives no defence.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭ myshirt


    markad1 wrote: »
    Ahhh memories.....white socks was another reason not to let you in.

    So, I wasn't the only one!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ coolock94


    that's true but ive gotten into places that are over 22s for example Saturday night i got in told him i was 22 even though he seen my age card he didn't realise i was lying and am only 19 the place was over 22's


  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ SmurfX


    Private business can refuse to sell things to anyone for whatever reason they want so long as it doesn't fall under discrimination. If they thought you might not have been of age and didn't trust the age card as valid ID then they're entitled to refuse you.
    I think if that sign states as you said it did that would have been outright discrimination. I don't think a supermarket can refuse the sale of something below an arbitrary age unless its enforced by law, the usual sign is reserving of rights to refuse you if you look like you're under 21 which is fair since it'd imply you're in the range of possibly being under 18.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭ kneemos


    coolock94 wrote: »
    but that's the reason for the age card a passport is a very important document and if lost cost a fortune to replace and plus the age card only costs a tenner

    True
    True

    Nodding head.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ whats the point


    I swear I'm 21, buddy!!!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ coolock94


    i agree , would a club fall under a private business so if refusing someone based on age that's discrimination


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,085 ✭✭✭✭ Witcher


    coolock94 wrote: »
    i agree , would a club fall under a private business so if refusing someone based on age that's discrimination

    Of course it's a private business.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ Hank Scorpio


    I got told my one was fake years ago, some bouncers are just ****


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ coolock94


    so therefore telling people its over 21s they are discriminating against my age


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,577 ✭✭✭✭ Aidric


    Blay wrote: »
    Of course it's a private business.

    right of admission reserved

    simple as that really


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,149 PizzamanIRL


    Money racket


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,085 ✭✭✭✭ Witcher


    coolock94 wrote: »
    so therefore telling people its over 21s they are discriminating against my age

    You're completely right..we need a judgement from the Supreme Court on this. Go for it.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ coolock94


    i be questioning it when i get my chance


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ markad1


    myshirt wrote: »
    So, I wasn't the only one!

    Think it was cause i was from coolock


Advertisement