Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron Man 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

If RDJ were to be leaving, I'd rather they write him out than replace him. If they replace him, the next in line is gonna suffer from comparisons, adjustment period and, let's face it, probably being a worse actor than RDJ.

As well as that, if RDJ leaves, it'd be a good idea to fill in his space with a different hero. There's a wealth of them being prepped already and more again who would be great additions.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

100 million quid, that is absolutely insane money.

also, he's 48?! considering his drug problems he could pass for 10 years younger than that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It'd be very said if RDJ was written out for the sole reason of greed. I've read a few times that he'd be happy alternating between Tony Stark and Sherlock Holmes for the rest of his career.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Seen it yesterday. Really enjoyed it, also very funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Well, let's face it, they'll probably kill him off in Avengers 2. This is Joss Whedon we're talking about. And I'm pretty sure Marvel would be OK with that. I mean it's not like the comics where characters never truly die. The movie series can have a start, middle and definite end. Look at Nolan's Batman trilogy. Do you honestly think any of them will come back for a Batman 4 or that supposed Justice League movie?

As much as I loved Ironman 3 (The best of the three by a country mile IMO) I think that, after Avengers 2 we'll have had enough of him. Better to go out on a high than trot out sequel after sequel after sequel *cough*JackSparrow*cough*

And as far as recasting goes: No. One of the things that made RDJ so perfect for the role of Tony Stark was that he simply was Robert Downey Jnr, with all the history that he went through. Not only was he born to play the part but he put extensive research and preparation into the part in the 80's/90's/00's :)

I reckon one of the "big" 4 will die alright in TA2. But it's interesting to note that Stark, Thor and Cap have all been in life threatening situations previously in the MCU. Thor actually died as a mortal only to be resurrected by Odin; Cap was thought dead for what, 70 years and Stark remained alive by the skin of his teeth in TA.

But because Stark nearly kicked it most recently, I'd say it's between Thor and Cap in who dies. I'd be inclined to think the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It'd be very said if RDJ was written out for the sole reason of greed. I've read a few times that he'd be happy alternating between Tony Stark and Sherlock Holmes for the rest of his career.

and its a pity as he's a great talent with more to offer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

krudler wrote: »

Based on his turns as Harry lockhart, Holmes and stark I don't think he's arsed playing anyone other then himself at this stage of his career, he's found a groove and he's happy to ride it out to old age. Like Pacino after people went Gaga over his explosive turn as Tony Montana in Scarface he's obviously decided to recycle the same shtick in perpetuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

I reckon one of the "big" 4 will die alright in TA2. But it's interesting to note that Stark, Thor and Cap have all been in life threatening situations previously in the MCU. Thor actually died as a mortal only to be resurrected by Odin; Cap was thought dead for what, 70 years and Stark remained alive by the skin of his teeth in TA.

But because Stark nearly kicked it most recently, I'd say it's between Thor and Cap in who dies. I'd be inclined to think the latter.

Steve Rogers was "killed off" in 07 in the comics & only brought back in 09!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,851 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Comics have proven that killing someone off is always a good idea. Nobody ever regrets it. They never whip out clones, or long lost wartime buddies, or just re-fabricate the entire universe itself because **** it we wrote this pile of **** into a corner. Never.

Disregard my last comment, my brain wasn't working (it's usual state)! For some reason I thought you were referring to the comics!! :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Very true.

One thing I've started thinking about recently is escalation in the MCU. I don't mean to turn this into an Avengers 2 thread but they opened the series was with a global battle for New York/Earth. Is anyone else dreading the franchise going downhill with multiverses, resurrections and the like? One thing I really enjoyed about Iron Man 3 was that, instead of just escalating from Iron Man 2, they went and made a Tony Stark film. Sure, there's
    an army of suits
    at the end but they went narrower and deeper as opposed to grand and shallow.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Overheal wrote: »
    Comics have proven that killing someone off is always a good idea. Nobody ever regrets it. They never whip out clones, or long lost wartime buddies, or just re-fabricate the entire universe itself because **** it we wrote this pile of **** into a corner. Never.

This isn't the comics though. These films can't go on forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Read somewhere that RDJ was initially contracted for something like 5 Marvel films - assuming he doesn't extend, then it seems like a good bet that Whedon will kill off Iron Man in RDJ's fifth, The Avengers 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

100 million quid, that is absolutely insane money.

also, he's 48?! considering his drug problems he could pass for 10 years younger than that.

Did you see him on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart?
    I would put him at late 30s max

• Registered Users Posts: 14,550 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I saw Iron Man 3 last night and it was disappointing.

It was very childish,camp and corny ,I do not see where people are saying its dark.

Downey jr was just going through the motions and his acting was poor .
    His anxiety attack scenes were laughable

I enjoyed the first film,it was fresh ,funny and had a plot.
    The second film was stale ,bloated rubbish,too many superfluous characters ,too much of Tony Stark moping around ,and too little plot.
    The third film is better than the second film but far inferior to the first .
    Stark talks too much and most of what he says is irritating and superfluous.

The plot was weak,full of plot holes, the dialogue was poor ,and the film seemed like a kids film ,it was too corny .
    Too much Tony Stark smugly moping around .The consistent efforts to deliver Stark’s quick quips have become tiresome .

I like Guy Pearce ,he should have had alot more screen time as should the Mandarin .
    I have had my fill of Tony Stark .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

my god that film was one hot mess

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Have seen this 3 times so far, fecking love it sooo much! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Overheal wrote: »
    Okay I'm a moviegoer: explain to me why suddenly there's a guy in this film with magic rings? Where the hell does that come from? Because at that point it's gone from technofantasy to "magic". The whole trilogy is based on pseudoscience. Explain magic rings and how that would work in your ideal iron man 3 film. Go.
    i missed the magic rings

ps can we go spoiler now, no tags like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Hope we get to seem more of the different armors in the future, espically a Hulk buster one.

If Iron Man ever does go up against the Hulk think the perfect music for that would be Irresistible Force (Met the Immovable Object) by Jane's Addiction.

Sums up the two of them....

Thanos wrote: »
    Hope we get to seem more of the different armors in the future, espically a Hulk buster one.

If Iron Man ever does go up against the Hulk think the perfect music for that would be Irresistible Force (Met the Immovable Object) by Jane's Addiction.

Sums up the two of them....

I did not know that was a Jane's addiction song, I can't usually stand them! It's driving me mental where I've heard that tune before! Anyone any ideas? I'm thinking a UFC promo!

• Advertisement

Saw this last night and it really is a lot of fun and a far better film than part 2, though tbh you could simply point the camera at a fat man rubbing cake all over himself and have a film that was better than part 2. Shane Black was an inspired choice and his mark was felt, most obviously in the scenes with the kid, who was pure Black. He felt like he walked out of the Monster Squad (the best kids film ever made and the film that has perhaps, the best onscreen portrayal of Dracula) and the use of the Mandarin was well done. Only real downfall was the rather poor ending, not going to spoil it but suffice to say the manner in which the day is saved was a poor way to end the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

its was a joke, its nothing do with ironman comics, The Mandarin wasnt is portrayed as a genius scientist and a superhumanly skilled martial artist. the Mandarin has no primary sources of power are ten power rings that he adapted from the alien technology of a crashed space ship. Each ring has a different power and is worn on a specific finger. the Mandarin wasnt descendant of Genghis Khan like he was in the comics

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    its was a joke, its nothing do with ironman comics, The Mandarin wasnt is portrayed as a genius scientist and a superhumanly skilled martial artist. the Mandarin has no primary sources of power are ten power rings that he adapted from the alien technology of a crashed space ship. Each ring has a different power and is worn on a specific finger. the Mandarin wasnt descendant of Genghis Khan like he was in the comics

It featured Ironman so it's directly related to the comic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It featured Ironman so it's directly related to the comic.

the mandarin wasnt portrayed like in the comics, and Julia Carpenter wasnt spiderwoman like in the comics,

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    the mandarin wasnt portrayed like in the comics

That's why they call it an adaptation. They take the basis set up and go from there, nothing worse than a film that is slavishly loyal to the source material. Pretty as Sin City looks it's a pretty boring film for anyone familiar with the comic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

That's why they call it an adaptation. They take the basis set up and go from there, nothing worse than a film that is slavishly loyal to the source material. Pretty as Sin City looks it's a pretty boring film for anyone familiar with the comic.

Ditto for Watchmen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 120 ✭✭Chefrio

Just finished watching this. Shocked at how bad it is, even worse than the 2nd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

that was not an adaptation, that was an evisceration. The Mandarin was foreshadowed, in the first film. Iron Man has some terrible villians that they could have used instead. Why neuter his main one?

Would you agree with them doing similar to Magneto, or worse the Joker??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

This film proves that comic book fans know fcuk all about what makes a film watchable. As long as you show something they read in a comic book years ago the nerds are happy. It's the highest grossing film of the year which is so sad it's laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

the biggest problem with this was that marvel didnt learn any lesson, Thor 2 was far superior to IM3, yet only pulled in half the amount at the BO, so marvel may even tweak Thor to be somewhat similar to IM in order to pull in more $$$ at the BO, imagine what shane black would do to a Thor film:o,

i dont understand the success IM3 got, it made no sense, and they wasted a great villain, i do admit the extremis storyline would be a good storyline, but i really felt cheated with what they done with the mandarin storyline, the part that really let the film down was when stark was with the kid and they went all CSI at the explosion crime scene and he was charging the suit in the kid garage, and all the smart comments for a guy who supposed to be suffer PTSD,

it was just simply a wasted opportunity,

Advertisement