Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamer of the year (Arcade Edition)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Don't think that comment was meant to be taken personally. Plenty of well meaning partners have bought gifts of retro stuff, but they seem to sometimes get it wrong as they can be led that way by unscrupulous sellers.
    It really is about a bit of research first.
    So ill informed at worst I'd say.

No, I know it wasn't meant personally but hit a nerve as my wife was duped and I felt bad on her behalf. Funny cos it was nearly 10 years ago but I would still punch the bloke if I ever saw him again!

You are right about research though, I certainly don't have the knowledge most here do, and would check, check and check again before I bought anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Back when I had a new 3DO my better half got the idea to buy me a game and, believe it or not, the 3DO shelves were well stocked.
    She was in the Virgin Megastore as it was and asked the minion for help.
    And he convinced her to buy Sherlock Holmes, an awful awful game.
    So scum sucking bottom feeders are everywhere, not just the small ads.
    I'm sure unsuspecting people going into "certain" retro game shops aren't going to be set straight if they are investing in something lousy,but I've a notion they aren't all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Sending someone to pick you up a good 3DO game is a big ask in fairness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sending someone to pick you up a good 3DO game is a big ask in fairness.

You better take that back, or Steve and I will kick the sh1te out of you!

And at least it's easier than buying the good CDi game, which is equivalent to catching the nice form of Cholera, there isn't one.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Back when I had a new 3DO my better half got the idea to buy me a game and, believe it or not, the 3DO shelves were well stocked.
    She was in the Virgin Megastore as it was and asked the minion for help.
    And he convinced her to buy Sherlock Holmes, an awful awful game.
    So scum sucking bottom feeders are everywhere, not just the small ads.
    I'm sure unsuspecting people going into "certain" retro game shops aren't going to be set straight if they are investing in something lousy,but I've a notion they aren't all the same.

I really hate the ****ty salesperson who pushes crap onto un expecting people. I use to see it a lot in a video store I use to work in with co-workers pushing the most god awful drivel on naive mothers.
    I just don't get it, like why bother? There is usually no commission involved and even if there was, it's much easier to sell something you believe in.
    Also it's nice to help out someone who obviously hasn't a clue what they are trying to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I really hate the ****ty salesperson who pushes crap onto un expecting people. I use to see it a lot in a video store I use to work in with co-workers pushing the most god awful drivel on naive mothers.
    I just don't get it, like why bother? There is usually no commission involved and even if there was, it's much easier to sell something you believe in.
    Also it's nice to help out someone who obviously hasn't a clue what they are trying to buy.

Some people, are in fact, just a$$holes.
    Sad fact of life :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Steve SI wrote: »

I was in pc world last week getting a notebook/laptop for my mother for Christmas from me and my two brothers. Anyways, the guy working in the shop says to me would I like to buy a year's subscription to their Antivirus, mcafee I think.. He said "it's 50 reduced from 100 and if you don't buy it, you won't get a year's warranty with the laptop" I said no thanks and he walked in the back to get it only then was I thinking how the hell does me buying anti virus affect my warranty! I was all set to argue with him when he came back out but the laptop ended up being out of stock so there was no point. That is purely taking advantage of people who don't know any better getting them to pay that for Antivirus software.

Steve SI wrote: »

It's one of the reasons why, when I worked in Gamesworld, I never sold anyone a turd unless they demanded it themselves.
    That said, they were banking on my taste in games which we know is a little dodge at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

It's one of the reasons why, when I worked in Gamesworld, I never sold anyone a turd unless they demanded it themselves.
    That said, they were banking on my taste in games which we know is a little dodge at the best of times.

Yeah but at least it's an honest preference for turds.

• Advertisement

Why thank you very much.... I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

STG.Otaku wrote: »

Some people really are just greedy scumbags aren't they??

Anyone with an ounce of sense would wait until January at this stage. I had mine pre-ordered since June 11 and gave mine away to a bloke who really wanted one for his kids for Christmas.

I never flipped it, just re-addressed the pre-order to him and had him transfer me the money and that was that.

Shame some folks have no morals really...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

o1s1n wrote: »
    Some people really are just greedy scumbags aren't they??

Its unreal what some people do, ive seen people that pre-ordered about 5 of them and are trying to sell them for nearly double price to desperate parents trying to make sure santa gets a ps4 to their kids. They will even turn down decent offers, over the retail price for them. Its sad to think there are people out there like this. Your comment above says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Quite a few surprise PS4 deliveries to GameStop and maybe others across the country and the UK yesterday and today.
    You might be lucky and just walk in and buy a PS4 for retail instead of those crazy prices.

I seem to stirred up a bit of a hornets nest on this topic, over on the Games forum.
    Apologies to the mods!

I wouldn't feel bad about overpricing a ps4 and reselling it. There's no reason for people to get their kids ps4's. There aren't any good games yet. As for people being clueless that's no excuse. My parents never played a videogame in their life but they just went and asked someone who knew what they were doing.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I seem to stirred up a bit of a hornets nest on this topic, over on the Games forum.
    Apologies to the mods!

It really boggles my mind how okay some people are with it. Pure and simple greed. Makes me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

There's no reason for people to get their kids ps4's. There aren't any good games yet.

The voice of reason, & perfectly logical. However, when you factor in kids that still believe, kids that don't understand how empty new consoles are for a while, kids at an age where they're getting away from normal toys, kids who get caught up in the hype etc...it muddies the waters & the voice of reason isn't as clear cut.

I don't subscribe to the notion that all parents who buy their kids a PS4/XBO are 'little princes' who put their parents under huge pressure. I know of a ten year old who's getting a PS4, & he's far from a 'little prince', but like I said above, parenting & logic usually always go hand in hand, but there are times, Christmas being one of them, where logic sometimes is sacrificed a little in order to make room for a little bit of Xmas magic.

Of course there are 'little princes & princesses' out there, who do get what they want when they want it, no denying that. These are maybe the parents that end up falling foul to scalpers charging over the odds for these PS4's & XBO's, I don't know. I know in my case, there isn't a hope in hell I'd sacrifice that amount of logic, it's madness what people are paying. But to say "there's no reason to buy a kid a ps4 because there's no games on it" isn't quite right, there are reasons, not very good ones, but for what's in my case, Santa's swan song in all likelihood, I'll let him go out with a bang

Master of the Universe

The whole 'parents who can't say no to their little spoiled brats' is a diversionary tactic anyway - it still doesn't take away from the original fact that gougers are exploitative scum :pac:

I wish I was a little brat my parents couldn't say no to :(
    But no.
    That said, back in 84 I got a Spectrum for Christmas.
    So maybe I was one of those brats after all?

I'm not saying a child is a prince/princess per se but is the point of Santa so that the child thinks the situation is somewhat out of your control. The child asks for a pony, an Xbox One and a machine gun and you go "Hmm.. we'll see. It depends on how good you were!" etc and then they get whatever you decide. I never got what I asked for xmas. They got me good stuff most years (often better than what I would have thought of) it just wasn't ever what I was expecting. I'm saying if you buy a newly launched console for a child at over cost price, and don't countenance all the other alternative gifts you could do instead you're an idiot, and I wouldn't begrudge people taking advantage of idiots.

I'm saying if you buy a newly launched console for a child at over cost price, and don't countenance all the other alternative gifts you could do instead you're an idiot

I agree, but you didn't put it like that earlier. You made it sound like anyone buying a child a PS4/XBO was a fool, regardless of what they paid for it. There does indeed come a point where you have to say no, & not submit to sillyness. The prices some people paid is just off the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

ps4 or xbox one are not kids toys. All the games are 18's rated. They are adult consoles.

I know some parents bought GTA5 for their 10 year old.

Madness.

ps4 or xbox one are not kids toys. All the games are 18's rated. They are adult consoles

In fairness, that's a very ill-informed post man. Knack, Lego Marvel Superheroes, Skylanders Swap Force, Zoo Tycoon, Angry Birds Star Wars, & stuff like Trine 2, Flower, DC Universe Online and quite a few others are all under 18 friendly. There's no such thing as an 'adult console', & while some of these are cross platform with last gen, there's tons of under 18 stuff in the launch window for both the PS4/XBO

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

pester power will kick in for the good games which are 18s. Ever browse the xbox 360 isle with a kid suggesting suitable titles? all they want are the other 95% of titles that are 15+ rated.

Wii U = best for kids.

• Advertisement

pester power will kick in for the good games which are 18s. Ever browse the xbox 360 isle with a kid suggesting suitable titles? all they want are the other 95% of titles that are 15+ rated.

Wii U = best for kids.

Yeah sometimes kids want games with higher age ratings, but that's down to the parents discretion, some games I'm prepared to let my son play that are higher rated than his age, and there's others I'm not. But you make it sound like all kids want to play is 18 rated games, which isn't the case. I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make in terms of PS4's & XBO's being 'adult consoles', they're not because there's no such thing. And when it comes to letting kids play 18 games, that's down to the parents & has nothing to do with the consoles.

Now, to join my son for a game of Rayman Legends...

Advertisement