Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamer of the year (Arcade Edition)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Brand new PS3 superslims were 100 from xtravision in the sales and are still in harvey normans for 150 brand new yet adverts has them listed for way above this. You can ask any price you want on adverts as it seems plenty of people will buy without doing any research.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Careful lads, some of this talk, while appropriate, might be considered bullying.
    The guy has not been found guilty of anything yet, certainly the mods on Adverts haven't seen fit to ban him for what would , if true, have certainly earned a ban here.
    :

Just a quick update on our industrious friend Flexymoons, after I reported him for shilling by way of a second account, it transpired that he had several more accounts which he had used to make shill bids on his items. All of these accounts have been closed, yet the moderators allowed his main account to remain active. I would say I was disappointed were it not for the fact that his ludicrous prices always give me a chuckle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

:

Just a quick update on our industrious friend Flexymoons, after I reported him for shilling by way of a second account, it transpired that he had several more accounts which he had used to make shill bids on his items. All of these accounts have been closed, yet the moderators allowed his main account to remain active. I would say I was disappointed were it not for the fact that his ludicrous prices always give me a chuckle.

Adverts is a commercial model, & while Boards is too, the models are pretty different I'd imagine. It's not in the best interests of Adverts.ie to ban users, lest it's something really bad or illegal. The fact the shill accounts were closed is good enough for me, & as long as it's all kept to one account, thats a result imo. At the end of the day, people with wacky prices are only kidding themselves, & the eejits who blindly buy at such prices...it doesn't really affect anything else

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But it is sad to see users, whoever they may be, that are fairly crap human beings.
    Akin to PS4 sales nonsense before Xmas, behaviour acceptable in big business is not acceptable in the community here in Boards/Adverts. But such a call is a moral one, and that seems to be something that isn't codifiable in the regs apparently.

Maybe it's the older users, who remember Adverts was a mix of community & sales, who feel this way and lament as it were, for those days. Nowadays though, Adverts is a different animal, it's not a community & in fairness, that's not what it tries to be anymore. It's mixing it up with ebay & the likes nowadays, & I suppose we just have to accept that the community values of old, no longer hold pride of place there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Myrddin wrote: »
    Maybe it's the older users, who remember Adverts was a mix of community & sales, who feel this way and lament as it were, for those days. Nowadays though, Adverts is a different animal, it's not a community & in fairness, that's not what it tries to be anymore. It's mixing it up with ebay & the likes nowadays, & I suppose we just have to accept that the community values of old, no longer hold pride of place there.

Adverts.ie - The Wild West of online trading. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »

I completely understand that things need to evolve to keep up with our ever changing online world, but by removing that community/sales vibe, I think they've lost what made it unique in the first place :(

If I want Ebay I'll use Ebay. I go to Adverts, for, well, Adverts.

Obviously the lads are well within their right to model their site whatever way they want, not debating that - but they've definitely lost me as a user.

That's negligible in a figures game, but it also means I no longer recommend adverts as a place to sell stuff when people ask me where they can list something online. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I completely understand that things need to evolve to keep up with our ever changing online world, but by removing that community/sales vibe, I think they've lost what made it unique in the first place :(

If I want Ebay I'll use Ebay. I go to Adverts, for, well, Adverts.

Obviously the lads are well within their right to model their site whatever way they want, not debating that - but they've definitely lost me as a user.

Well what I said is only my own personal observations, I know nothing of Adverts policy behind the lines. I doubt though, that the shift from a tight-knit community base that revolved around good standing, to a more commercial focus...was a conscious one at that. The userbase has simply grown so much bigger than it was in those days, I just don't see how the old Adverts user ethos would survive in the huge marketplace it has become. I guess in a way, we were spoiled with Adverts of old, & the smaller more community based userbase made it a real pleasure to use. Again any changes, I imagine have been purely because the site has grown exponentially.

Imagine our own A&R marketplace with instead of just us using it, but 200k people using it...hard to imagine it staying the same as it is now :)
    That's negligible in a figures game, but it also means I no longer recommend adverts as a place to sell stuff when people ask me where they can list something online. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Admittedly, I rarely browse on it. I only check it if I'm looking for something specific. I am hopeful though that the imminent changes ahead, do make a difference

Master of the Universe

That one change we all put forward limiting pms to those who have 'offer accepted' on thread is enough to reform the whole place I think. I may even start using it again! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

apparently now you can double the value of your console by putting it in one of those plastic pouches.

http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/nintendo-64-n64-mario-kart/4587933

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Hahaha! It's literally in one of those plastic pouches you used in school. That's hilarious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

apparently now you can double the value of your console by putting it in one of those plastic pouches.

http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/nintendo-64-n64-mario-kart/4587933

Poly pockets, and the seller is off his/her rocker, insane but if someone is dumb enough to buy them....

Poly pockets, and the seller is off his/her rocker, insane but if someone is dumb enough to buy them....

Never knew that's what they were called. Is that what the carry case is too? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

She could double the value again by printing out a VGA label.

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Never knew that's what they were called. Is that what the carry case is too? :confused:

The 'poly' is short for polyethylene. It's the type of transparent plastic things like that are made from. You also get mylar bags too.

I mentioned the nature of the plastic wrapping to the seller and they've amended the advert but, just watch, someone is going to pay that sort of money for a PAL N64 with Mario Kart.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

keithgeo wrote: »

To become a seller on Adverts, do you have to pass some test which proves you are taking hallucinogenic drugs of some sort??

It looks in nice condition, although it would be nice to see the video cable and pictures of it running on a tv. That price is nuts.

Think i bought mine in better condition off Dr.Bob on here about 2 years back for 60 euro ish..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I got one before Xmas (on Adverts) for €60.

C64C + 1084S monitor + 1541 II drive + Joystick + Load of disks

Ok, it could do with a lick of retrobrite but 300 ffs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

Yes, but is yours Extremely rare ?

He also sells his carts for € 40,- each :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Casey120 wrote: »
    Yes, but is yours Extremely rare ?

He also sells his carts for € 40,- each :pac:

Nope, its just 'Extreme'

Extreme_(_Extreme_album_-_cover_art).jpg

This one is good.. you can get a boxed nes for this price!

http://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/nes-advantage-pad/3690414

Master of the Universe

keithgeo wrote: »
    This one is good.. you can get a boxed nes for this price!

http://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/nes-advantage-pad/3690414

That's because it's the rare anti gravity version which you can play on the ceiling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

urbanledge wrote: »

price showing as 1200. Is that not what it always was???

1300 i thought?

Doesn't Ronnie have them for 900 including shipping?

Master of the Universe

Doesn't Ronnie have them for 900 including shipping?

Fairly sure the lads are being sarcastic, read the thread name! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

He still needs to halve the price of it 1200 or 1300 aside. HAving side that it does look to be in very good nick.

Advertisement