Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charitable donation

Options
  • 21-12-2013 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

I guess this mightn't be the right forum but I have no idea where else to post so...

This Christmas, neither I not my husband badly need anything and we've bren very lucky to have a little baby this year and know we have more than alot of people. We want to give what we would have spent on presents for each other to charity but we have no idea which charity. Preferably a children's charity but could someone suggest some charities which rely solely/heavily on public donations?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

BNMC wrote: »

Have never seen/heard off this before. Need to read a bit more but putting my money into it. I kind of like the idea if making a substantial donation to one charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

It's a great charity, you can read what they did with last year's money here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057085663

I was at one of the events this year and the organiser spoke a lot about the great things they do with the money and how much of a difference it makes for many kids. I was really happy to be able to help out even just a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

This is a really worthy charity do some amazing work
    http://www.lauralynn.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

Just done the same thing for Pieta House - suicide awareness in Ireland http://www.pieta.ie really worthwhile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Meant to say this charity operates with no state funding

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

SVP ( st Vincent de Paul) , makes a huge difference in this country and help so many people, families and children.

Congrats on the new arrival and hope you have a happy Christmas :-)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

yellow hen wrote: »
    Have never seen/heard off this before. Need to read a bit more but putting my money into it. I kind of like the idea if making a substantial donation to one charity.

To be fair, you don't appear to really frequent After Hours, which is where the main focus of the SSF generally is. And as he keeps a lower profile these days, it's understandable that you may not know who DeVore is. His name is Tom Murphy, and he's one of the founders of Boards. 10 years ago Tom came up with the idea of helping make things a little more tolerable for kids in places like Temple Street, Barretstown, etc. The first couple of years Tom and some Boardsies would just turn up unannounced at these places and deliver big big bags of goodies bought with donations from Boards members and proceeds from events they organised. Over the years the generosity of Boardsies meant that the SSF outgrew the "guerilla" tactics and Tom got the beneficiaries directly involved so that the SSF could buy them exactly what they needed. As an example Princess Peach linked above to what was done with last year's donations, and there's more information on the SSF website.

Obviously it's your money and whoever benefits from it will I'm sure be very grateful. But if you do decide to give it to the SSF you can be sure that every single cent will be used for the kids as there are no admin fees, no salaries and no "top ups" to be paid from the donations. And while your preference is to make a single donation, that in turn will go to help some really great organisations, all of whom do amazing work.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's a great charity, you can read what they did with last year's money here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057085663.
    Yes, it's fantastic to see exactly where the SSF money has gone- I think people understandably need transparency in light of recent events. I donated what I could last year and it's great to feel like I, in some small way, helped to make a difference.
    As Zaph has said, such a worthy cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thanks, you all convinced me! Donation made :)

Advertisement