Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Stargate' to receive movie reboot, trilogy planned

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Wow :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

indeed, ill be honest if they go all new star trek with it i wont be too keen.

Never mind the team itself, but who the hell is going to replace Don S Davis?
    No one thats who :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

At first I was :eek: and :D but then I read the article and it's new actors :mad:

I recently rewatched SG1 and Atlantis and I'd forgotten how much I really enjoyed it and the humour. I miss SG1.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

its on the Watch channel i think at weekends, its great to dip in and out of it.

Midway was a fantastic ep, watching Teal'c and Ronan getting it on.
    The problem is that we had 10 seasons of SG1, there's was a bond there, no matter how good the films are, that wont happen and if it turns into a new series well the movies actors wont be in it.

Yeah this is a reboot, not a continuation. So it'll be back to the drawing board & a new version of the story will be told. If a reboot is to work, you can't really have the actors of the already established franchise in it, it just wouldn't work.

Personally I'm optimistic. Though I guess this means the Universe cliffhanger will never be resolved :(

• Advertisement

which imo is a big shame, they could do some type of nod to it i guess but really not sure how that would work.

anyway its a few years of at this rate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yeah this is a reboot, not a continuation. So it'll be back to the drawing board & a new version of the story will be told. If a reboot is to work, you can't really have the actors of the already established franchise in it, it just wouldn't work.

Personally I'm optimistic. Though I guess this means the Universe cliffhanger will never be resolved :(

Unless they do a Star Trek and have some kind of time travel by the universe ship and whatever if was called (Elliot I think is a older version of himself)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

Its going to be damn strange seeing SG1 with new actors. I think i'd prefer if they tried some sort of film that was set later on in the continuity.

madness98 wrote: »
    Its going to be damn strange seeing SG1 with new actors

Leaked footage of the reboot apparently

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

haha, thats the Glee lad that died.

Why cant they just come up with a good idea instead of rebooting it.. id love to see more stargate but its not like it was made 40 years ago. why would you bother when you got it so right the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Reboots of recent material in general are just depressing. How old you feel when you have seen Star Trek, Robocop, Batman, Spider-man, Superman/Returnman/Man of Super etc.. rebooted? Just because a director has a "vision" of how they would have done a franchise doesn't mean we should throw our money at them.

Stargate is perfectly suited to a series, even the lacklustre TV movies with the same actors proved this. Double episodes/season finales were better by far than a movie could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

EnterNow wrote: »

Erm........is that Eminem playing "Sexy, edgier, Daniel Jackson"?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Stargate remains one of my favourite science fiction films.

SG1 was fun but an entirely different animal. I never really considered the two in the same continuity; SG1, "the Goa'uld" and all that were entirely creations of the TV series, so I've no real issue with Emmerich going a different direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Yippee,loved sg1 liked Atlantis,never got into universe but the film was great. Wormhole extreme all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Emmerich has always said that if he made a sequel it would bear no relation to the SG-1 universe, so this reboot is likely to be a remake of the original Stargate (like was done with Total Recall), followed by a complete tangent for the follow-ups, and not a reboot of the SG-1 universe like they did with Star Trek.

Kurt Russell was a bit crap anyway, and Ben Browder showed it's relatively easy to slot in a new comedic meathead and keep the chemistry. But it'll be hard to find someone to be a new Daniel Jackson. James Spader was great and Michael Shanks replicated the character really well and went on to completely own it.

seamus wrote: »
    But it'll be hard to find someone to be a new Daniel Jackson. James Spader was great and Michael Shanks replicated the character really well and went on to completely own it.

Agreed, Shanks was utterly brilliant over the course of the show, & really developed the character immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

The plan behind the original movie was to be more then one movie with the historic connections being told in other movies, this appears to be a pitch at restarting that idea.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I remember someone telling me that Independence Day was originally written as Stargate 2, and that it was originally meant to be other members of Ra's species flying their spaceship to Earth to attack.

Subsequent web searches suggest that someone was talking out of their arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Myrddin wrote: »
    Agreed, Shanks was utterly brilliant over the course of the show, & really developed the character immensely.

Kind of OT, but I just finished watching the Andromeda series. Nowhere near as good as SG1 (had all movies and all seasons). Michael shanks is in a couple of episodes of Andromeda. Brilliant actor and would love to see a continuity, rather than a reboot, as we all know and love the characters as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

seamus wrote: »
    Kurt Russell was a bit crap anyway, and Ben Browder showed it's relatively easy to slot in a new comedic meathead and keep the chemistry. But it'll be hard to find someone to be a new Daniel Jackson. James Spader was great and Michael Shanks replicated the character really well and went on to completely own it.

Ben Browder is one of the few actors out there that has the relevant experience for this (scifi comedic meathead). He did a great job imo. Do you think the Hercules guy from Andromeda could have done better?

It is pretty funny actually, he plays exactly the same role as he did in Farscape. Copy/paste :D

• Advertisement

Isnt there a scene in one stargate episode where they are on the bridge of moira from farscape? or am i going crazy?

I think Michael shanks is married to the computer\hologram woman from Andromeda, she was the doctor in later eps of stargate too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

In 200, Vala pitched an idea for a sci-fi show, which just happened to be quite similar to Farscape.

yeh thats the one, definitely farscape alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Im about 2/3 of the way through a re-run of SG1. I love this show and I hate the thought of a reboot. I would much rather a continuation. Bring them all back I say! well maybe not Vala and Landry, or the new doc. I never liked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Can't do a continuation, they have saved the universe so many times now... Each time a bigger badder more ridiculous threat had to be introduced. At this stage the humans are so teched up and badass what can threaten them?

My favourite part out of all SG1 is a scene where O'Neill et all are locked up in a cell by the baddies and O'Neill rolls his eyes and tells the guards how things are gonna go down. Something like: "See your boss is gonna arrive, and give us a big grandiose speech about his power etc etc, then we will break out, defeat you all and save the world AGAIN......"

Not sure if I have described it correctly... Anyone know what episode that is from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

i'd agree that a reboot is the way forward, towards the end of sg1 and sga earth was the dominant force in two possibly 3 galaxies, they had defeated a series of ever more powerful beings, fake gods- demi gods- actual gods- soul sucking demons and varying evolutions of replicators by playing at god themselves.

a fresh start is the best thing now, although one twist i'd like to see would be the stargate program becoming public knowledge early on in the series of films

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Big day for reboots. First it was Cliffhanger, and now MGM andWarner Bros.announced they are teaming with Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin to create a re-imagined trilogy based on the sci-fi hit Stargate, one of the biggest titles in the MGM library. Emmerich, who directed and co-wrote the original film with Devlin, is on board to direct this one, with Devlin producing. Those two are already hard at work on a new version of Independence Day at Fox.MGM’s Gary Barber called Emmerich and Devlin “world-class creators of the original Stargate,” and said they will “bring their reinvigorated vision of this wildly popular property to audiences of multiple generations.”

Said Emmerich and Devlin: “The Stargateuniverse is one that we missed terribly, and we cannot wait to get going on imagining new adventures and situations for the trilogy. This story is very close to our hearts, and getting the chance to revisit this world is in many ways like a long lost child that has found its way back home.” MGM’s Jonathan Glickman will oversee it with Warner Bros’ Greg Silverman. Warners will distribute with MGM handling some international territories. Back in its day, Stargate set the record for highest October gross and did near $200 million in global ticket sales. It went on to have a very successful run as a syndicated TV series.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

My concern for this is that I loved the tv series. When was the last time I enjoyed an Emmerich film? Independence day maybe, but even that I don't hold as dear to my heart as I do the adventures of the SG-1 And Atlantis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

sorry but the more I hear about this the more Im like NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I love SG1 - it was brilliant! why mess with a good thing!

It just seems to be the thing to do now. Reboot this, reboot that. First Batman, Spiderman, Xmen (sort of) and Star Trek (which in fairness was good).

Please Please Please dont reboot SG1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

In fairness, I don't think anyone should really think of this as a reboot of SG1, it's a reboot of the original movie. I know that technically it is the same thing since SG1 was a reboot of the movie, but I never actually equated the two. The characters (even those with the same names) were different, and the stories were too. I'm not as attached to the characters in the movie, so don't mind them being replaced or played by new actors.

Advertisement