Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Stargate' to receive movie reboot, trilogy planned

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Wow :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

indeed, ill be honest if they go all new star trek with it i wont be too keen.

Never mind the team itself, but who the hell is going to replace Don S Davis?
    No one thats who :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

At first I was :eek: and :D but then I read the article and it's new actors :mad:

I recently rewatched SG1 and Atlantis and I'd forgotten how much I really enjoyed it and the humour. I miss SG1.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

its on the Watch channel i think at weekends, its great to dip in and out of it.

Midway was a fantastic ep, watching Teal'c and Ronan getting it on.
    The problem is that we had 10 seasons of SG1, there's was a bond there, no matter how good the films are, that wont happen and if it turns into a new series well the movies actors wont be in it.

Yeah this is a reboot, not a continuation. So it'll be back to the drawing board & a new version of the story will be told. If a reboot is to work, you can't really have the actors of the already established franchise in it, it just wouldn't work.

Personally I'm optimistic. Though I guess this means the Universe cliffhanger will never be resolved :(

• Advertisement

which imo is a big shame, they could do some type of nod to it i guess but really not sure how that would work.

anyway its a few years of at this rate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yeah this is a reboot, not a continuation. So it'll be back to the drawing board & a new version of the story will be told. If a reboot is to work, you can't really have the actors of the already established franchise in it, it just wouldn't work.

Personally I'm optimistic. Though I guess this means the Universe cliffhanger will never be resolved :(

Unless they do a Star Trek and have some kind of time travel by the universe ship and whatever if was called (Elliot I think is a older version of himself)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

Its going to be damn strange seeing SG1 with new actors. I think i'd prefer if they tried some sort of film that was set later on in the continuity.

madness98 wrote: »
    Its going to be damn strange seeing SG1 with new actors

Leaked footage of the reboot apparently

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

haha, thats the Glee lad that died.

Why cant they just come up with a good idea instead of rebooting it.. id love to see more stargate but its not like it was made 40 years ago. why would you bother when you got it so right the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Reboots of recent material in general are just depressing. How old you feel when you have seen Star Trek, Robocop, Batman, Spider-man, Superman/Returnman/Man of Super etc.. rebooted? Just because a director has a "vision" of how they would have done a franchise doesn't mean we should throw our money at them.

Stargate is perfectly suited to a series, even the lacklustre TV movies with the same actors proved this. Double episodes/season finales were better by far than a movie could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

EnterNow wrote: »

Erm........is that Eminem playing "Sexy, edgier, Daniel Jackson"?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Stargate remains one of my favourite science fiction films.

SG1 was fun but an entirely different animal. I never really considered the two in the same continuity; SG1, "the Goa'uld" and all that were entirely creations of the TV series, so I've no real issue with Emmerich going a different direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Yippee,loved sg1 liked Atlantis,never got into universe but the film was great. Wormhole extreme all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Emmerich has always said that if he made a sequel it would bear no relation to the SG-1 universe, so this reboot is likely to be a remake of the original Stargate (like was done with Total Recall), followed by a complete tangent for the follow-ups, and not a reboot of the SG-1 universe like they did with Star Trek.

Kurt Russell was a bit crap anyway, and Ben Browder showed it's relatively easy to slot in a new comedic meathead and keep the chemistry. But it'll be hard to find someone to be a new Daniel Jackson. James Spader was great and Michael Shanks replicated the character really well and went on to completely own it.

seamus wrote: »
    But it'll be hard to find someone to be a new Daniel Jackson. James Spader was great and Michael Shanks replicated the character really well and went on to completely own it.

Agreed, Shanks was utterly brilliant over the course of the show, & really developed the character immensely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

The plan behind the original movie was to be more then one movie with the historic connections being told in other movies, this appears to be a pitch at restarting that idea.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I remember someone telling me that Independence Day was originally written as Stargate 2, and that it was originally meant to be other members of Ra's species flying their spaceship to Earth to attack.

Subsequent web searches suggest that someone was talking out of their arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Myrddin wrote: »
    Agreed, Shanks was utterly brilliant over the course of the show, & really developed the character immensely.

Kind of OT, but I just finished watching the Andromeda series. Nowhere near as good as SG1 (had all movies and all seasons). Michael shanks is in a couple of episodes of Andromeda. Brilliant actor and would love to see a continuity, rather than a reboot, as we all know and love the characters as they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

seamus wrote: »
    Kurt Russell was a bit crap anyway, and Ben Browder showed it's relatively easy to slot in a new comedic meathead and keep the chemistry. But it'll be hard to find someone to be a new Daniel Jackson. James Spader was great and Michael Shanks replicated the character really well and went on to completely own it.

Ben Browder is one of the few actors out there that has the relevant experience for this (scifi comedic meathead). He did a great job imo. Do you think the Hercules guy from Andromeda could have done better?

It is pretty funny actually, he plays exactly the same role as he did in Farscape. Copy/paste :D

• Advertisement

Isnt there a scene in one stargate episode where they are on the bridge of moira from farscape? or am i going crazy?

I think Michael shanks is married to the computer\hologram woman from Andromeda, she was the doctor in later eps of stargate too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

In 200, Vala pitched an idea for a sci-fi show, which just happened to be quite similar to Farscape.

yeh thats the one, definitely farscape alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Im about 2/3 of the way through a re-run of SG1. I love this show and I hate the thought of a reboot. I would much rather a continuation. Bring them all back I say! well maybe not Vala and Landry, or the new doc. I never liked them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Can't do a continuation, they have saved the universe so many times now... Each time a bigger badder more ridiculous threat had to be introduced. At this stage the humans are so teched up and badass what can threaten them?

My favourite part out of all SG1 is a scene where O'Neill et all are locked up in a cell by the baddies and O'Neill rolls his eyes and tells the guards how things are gonna go down. Something like: "See your boss is gonna arrive, and give us a big grandiose speech about his power etc etc, then we will break out, defeat you all and save the world AGAIN......"

Not sure if I have described it correctly... Anyone know what episode that is from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

i'd agree that a reboot is the way forward, towards the end of sg1 and sga earth was the dominant force in two possibly 3 galaxies, they had defeated a series of ever more powerful beings, fake gods- demi gods- actual gods- soul sucking demons and varying evolutions of replicators by playing at god themselves.

a fresh start is the best thing now, although one twist i'd like to see would be the stargate program becoming public knowledge early on in the series of films

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Big day for reboots. First it was Cliffhanger, and now MGM andWarner Bros.announced they are teaming with Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin to create a re-imagined trilogy based on the sci-fi hit Stargate, one of the biggest titles in the MGM library. Emmerich, who directed and co-wrote the original film with Devlin, is on board to direct this one, with Devlin producing. Those two are already hard at work on a new version of Independence Day at Fox.MGM’s Gary Barber called Emmerich and Devlin “world-class creators of the original Stargate,” and said they will “bring their reinvigorated vision of this wildly popular property to audiences of multiple generations.”

Said Emmerich and Devlin: “The Stargateuniverse is one that we missed terribly, and we cannot wait to get going on imagining new adventures and situations for the trilogy. This story is very close to our hearts, and getting the chance to revisit this world is in many ways like a long lost child that has found its way back home.” MGM’s Jonathan Glickman will oversee it with Warner Bros’ Greg Silverman. Warners will distribute with MGM handling some international territories. Back in its day, Stargate set the record for highest October gross and did near $200 million in global ticket sales. It went on to have a very successful run as a syndicated TV series.

Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

My concern for this is that I loved the tv series. When was the last time I enjoyed an Emmerich film? Independence day maybe, but even that I don't hold as dear to my heart as I do the adventures of the SG-1 And Atlantis.

sorry but the more I hear about this the more Im like NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I love SG1 - it was brilliant! why mess with a good thing!

It just seems to be the thing to do now. Reboot this, reboot that. First Batman, Spiderman, Xmen (sort of) and Star Trek (which in fairness was good).

Please Please Please dont reboot SG1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

In fairness, I don't think anyone should really think of this as a reboot of SG1, it's a reboot of the original movie. I know that technically it is the same thing since SG1 was a reboot of the movie, but I never actually equated the two. The characters (even those with the same names) were different, and the stories were too. I'm not as attached to the characters in the movie, so don't mind them being replaced or played by new actors.

Some vague new info on this..

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/406469-independence-day-2-scribes-board-stargate-reboot

For me while i hate them ignoring the tv shows.. i guess any new stargate is good.
    “These new films will build upon the creativity and popularity of the first film,” teased Silverman last year, “while delivering an original film-going experience for fans and those new to the franchise.””

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Might be just the time to finally get a top Stargate game aswell. Something co-op online, with procedurally generated worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 B4nt3rB0t

I'd prefer if they just finished universe :P Massive fan of all series though, and i'm glad to see stargate fans are a thing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Roland Emmerich is Rebooting the Stargate Franchise From Scratch
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/roland-emmerich-is-rebooting-the-stargate-universe-from-1782242309
    “It’s not a story that can take place 20 years later. So the only way to really tell that trilogy is to go back from the beginning and start the story all over again.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Interesting. You now have my attention.

Im all for new Stargate.

• Advertisement

no no no no no no no

no.

Ah I don't mind. Stargate is pretty much done as is anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just make more Stargate Universe and stop with the endless reboots.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm ok with this. As Myrddin says, the franchise is finished in it's current form, so a reboot is fine with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I agree with everyone; Find someone to throw $5m at a 2.5 hour finale to SG:U. Continuum was a great way to wrap up the entire SG1 story arc, and while there wasn't quite as much of a backstory built up behind SGU, I think a satisfying closure of the whole thing would make the idea of a reboot sting a lot less.

• Advertisement

Looks like the remake is off again
    Oh, Stargate, why hast thou forsaken us? Despite the fact that that 1994 film from director Roland Emmerich and writer/producer Dean Devlin gave us three live action and one animated television series, plus a wide variety of novels and comic books that fans happily consumed, the franchise now seems to feel too above us to give any more. This despite the fact we’d been teased with rumblings of MGM and Warner Bros partnering with Emmerich and Devlin for a brand new trilogy. But now, in an exclusive interview with Empire, Devlin reveals that plans for a remake have fallen through.

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/remake-stargate-happening-know-exclusive/

http://collider.com/stargate-reboot-cancelled/#dean-devlin

• Registered Users Posts: 46 doyler55

I would really love to see this movie happen. Someone should set up a petition and send it to Hollywood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

doyler55 wrote: »
    I would really love to see this movie happen. Someone should set up a petition and send it to Hollywood

Me too the more Stargate and Star Trek out there the better.
    Would love to see Stargate get 3 movies its a nice round number not too little or to many. You could do a story arc with a beginning a middle and an end or have 3 seperate movies.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I'm pretty happy that they're not making a complete reboot. I'm part of the minority that enjoyed SGU. It was ridiculous but I liked it. It was trying to be gritty and dark like BSG but it could shake its comedy roots so it was neither one thing or the other and that's why it tanked.
    I'd like to see another tv series continuing on from where they left off. I like to see them focus more on the philosophical, political, and economic aspects of communicating with aliens who are now a short hop away from us. I also liked the comedy side of Stargate so it'll be hard to go dark too. Maybe it would be cool to emulate a kind of West Wing political drama? "Stargate: Open Borders" (a not-too-subtle jab at the current state of the US government... a Teal'c-esque character can be played by a Mexican actor)
    But maybe it's still too early for any new Stargates...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

With Star Wars and Star Trek back on our screens (or soon to be in the latter's case) maybe the time is right for Stargate to return as well.

With Star Wars and Star Trek back on our screens (or soon to be in the latter's case) maybe the time is right for Stargate to return as well.

Yeah but it can't be an Emmerich job, or anything like the tv series if it's going to be a massive blockbuster like Trek or Wars.
    Maybe make it a job for Aronofsky or Danny Boyle... or maybe someone slightly alternative like Cary Joji Fukunaga (True Detective) or Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive) or Joseph Kosinski (Tron) or Chan-wook Park (Stoker) or George Miller (Mad Max)... There just needs to be a bit of a stylistic spin on Stargate so it doesn't look like it's following the successes of Trek and Wars (I think the third Trek was even just following its own success...)
    Even though Kosinski made Oblivion (which was beautiful to look at and listen to but was ultimately hollow, a bit like Tron too in fact...) I appreciate his architectural background and I think he might bring something new to Stargate.

I also won't stand for an all white cast either with the additional indigenous "other" character... It's cliche and totally un-PC at this point.
    I'd like to see Chiwetel Ejiofor or John Cho at the helm or even a female main character to shake it up a bit - Thandie Newton or Gina Torres or Taraji P Henson or Angela Bassett or Sophie Okonedo or Maggie Q or Moon Bloodgood (I love Moon don't ask why). Though Henson is a popular pick atm Torres looks the part. Torres is tall and commanding looking and she had quite a similar role in Firefly (but obviously this can't look like a SyFy B-movie) so you'd need a few big names in the supporting cast too.

As for the plot, any thoughts? Do we need an origin story? A recap of everything? Or just get thrown in the deep end, no explanation..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I just want the TV show back :o

Looks like there will be some news tomorrow - hopefully more than just a game of some kind http://stargate.mgm.com/
    On July 20th at San Diego Comic-Con there will be an announcement from Stargate Command. Sign up to receive an alert when we activate the Stargate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yeah but it can't be an Emmerich job, or anything like the tv series if it's going to be a massive blockbuster like Trek or Wars.
    Maybe make it a job for Aronofsky or Danny Boyle... or maybe someone slightly alternative like Cary Joji Fukunaga (True Detective) or Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive) or Joseph Kosinski (Tron) or Chan-wook Park (Stoker) or George Miller (Mad Max)... There just needs to be a bit of a stylistic spin on Stargate so it doesn't look like it's following the successes of Trek and Wars (I think the third Trek was even just following its own success...)
    Even though Kosinski made Oblivion (which was beautiful to look at and listen to but was ultimately hollow, a bit like Tron too in fact...) I appreciate his architectural background and I think he might bring something new to Stargate.

I also won't stand for an all white cast either with the additional indigenous "other" character... It's cliche and totally un-PC at this point.
    I'd like to see Chiwetel Ejiofor or John Cho at the helm or even a female main character to shake it up a bit - Thandie Newton or Gina Torres or Taraji P Henson or Angela Bassett or Sophie Okonedo or Maggie Q or Moon Bloodgood (I love Moon don't ask why). Though Henson is a popular pick atm Torres looks the part. Torres is tall and commanding looking and she had quite a similar role in Firefly (but obviously this can't look like a SyFy B-movie) so you'd need a few big names in the supporting cast too.

As for the plot, any thoughts? Do we need an origin story? A recap of everything? Or just get thrown in the deep end, no explanation..?

Even though Kosinski made Oblivion (which was beautiful to look at and listen to but was ultimately hollow, a bit like Tron too in fact...)

I think they were both very good films. One of my regrets is not going to the cinema to see Tron. Still when I did eventually see the film I really enjoyed. I did see Oblivion in the cinema do and loved it.

JohnK wrote: »
    Looks like there will be some news tomorrow - hopefully more than just a game of some kind http://stargate.mgm.com/

Interesting. I say it will either be a new movie or the original movie is getting a reboot maybe make a trilogy out of it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

BTW if anyone wants to know what happened after the finale of SGU theres a new comic telling the story, havent tried it yet but Im dying to know what its like:

https://www.americanmythology.net/product-page/stargate-universe-back-to-destiny-1-scalf-main-cover-pre-order

• Advertisement
Advertisement