Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to service your car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

anyone recommend a good small torque wrench for doing the spark plugs, one with a click when it reaches its desire torque value as I wouldn't risk just guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

anyone recommend a good small torque wrench for doing the spark plugs, one with a click when it reaches its desire torque value as I wouldn't risk just guessing.

Lidl have them in at the moment I think (I saw them there on friday) good value too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Lidl have them in at the moment I think (I saw them there on friday) good value too :)

Too high a torque?

15 -20NM for plug isn't it

Ded_Zebra wrote: »

off to lidl tomorrow then:D

Too high a torque?

15 -20NM for plug isn't it

yeah...18NM, They have a 216 piece socket set for 89.99 coming in Thursday. Maybe that would work but it is a lot of money

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-428438EF-975C2F6A/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_30942.htm

• Advertisement

So I done the service on the car, sparks filters and oil. It was easy with the exception of the :mad:God damn hate it to hell, mofo oil filter being stuck on. 2 hours I tried to get the thing off, felt like it was wielded to the engine, bought a tool in halfords(20 euro) that didn't do squat only ended up scrapping the outside of the oil filter. Last resort screw driver and hammer, messy as Fook. Sorry for the rant but that thing put me off the self service experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Well on the upside at least it will be easy to get off next time :cool:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

So I done the service on the car, sparks filters and oil. It was easy with the exception of the :mad:God damn hate it to hell, mofo oil filter being stuck on. 2 hours I tried to get the thing off, felt like it was wielded to the engine, bought a tool in halfords(20 euro) that didn't do squat only ended up scrapping the outside of the oil filter. Last resort screw driver and hammer, messy as Fook. Sorry for the rant but that thing put me off the self service experience.

Don't let it put you off. That's only because it was previously replaced by an ape. If you put it back on properly it will come off by hand next time.
    The first time you service a new car expect problems with a rounded sump bung or undertray bolt.

oh and here is another tip which I only realised now that it is a rainy day, make sure no engine oil spills in the engine bay while filling up as it can find its way to the wheels and is potentially dangerous, the car was slipping a bit when I was making sharp turns, will need to drive very slow for the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Clean well then use some brute force

a-guide-to-changing-the-motorcyle-oil-part-1-53016_6.jpg

t70425.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Or one of these bad boys!

3-leg-filter-wrench.jpg

dgt wrote: »
    Clean well then use some brute force

a-guide-to-changing-the-motorcyle-oil-part-1-53016_6.jpg

t70425.jpg

That top tool is the one I bought, all it did was scrape and bend the Oil filter. The one BX posted looks good, shame halfords didnt have one, also on the Civic the damn axle is directly under the filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

http://www.amazon.com/Locking-Fliter-Wrench-Filters-Cylinder/dp/B003771FZM

does the job very well and works great in places with small leverage space

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

hmmm....they are all great and all lads, I own all those products

but the cup wrench beats all hands down! stick into ratchet and no slipping on filter as its an exact fit

fram-sp6663a-oil-filter-cup-wrench-photo-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Anyone ever dig a sort of trench or similar in the garden as an alternative to axle stands or ramps?

Then you could drive the car over it and remove the oil plug and filter more easily. Would it be a good/bad idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

gooner99 wrote: »
    Anyone ever dig a sort of trench or similar in the garden as an alternative to axle stands or ramps?

Then you could drive the car over it and remove the oil plug and filter more easily. Would it be a good/bad idea?
    If you mean like a pit, then I would say this would be a bad idea. There's a reason garages don't use pits anymore. And they were concrete.

kiddums wrote: »
    If you mean like a pit, then I would say this would be a bad idea. There's a reason garages don't use pits anymore. And they were concrete.

Not really a full pit. The garden slopes, so was thinking maybe dig a short trench from the slope in,so as when the car is parked on the top of the slope there is an area where you can easily get under the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cletus

Not really a full pit. The garden slopes, so was thinking maybe dig a short trench from the slope in,so as when the car is parked on the top of the slope there is an area where you can easily get under the car.

You'd need to build retaining walls at the sides and back to stop the earth falling in, and you'd probably need to lay a concrete base as well.

Halfords sell axle stands for €30ish, much easier imo

cletus wrote: »
    You'd need to build retaining walls at the sides and back to stop the earth falling in, and you'd probably need to lay a concrete base as well.

Halfords sell axle stands for €30ish, much easier imo

Yes probably right. Axle stands or ramps that is the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,426 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I used to have a yard with a sloped entrance. Used to park the car facing up with the wheels at the point where it started sloping.

Very handy cos you could just reach in and undo the sump nut, redo it, then roll the car onto the flat and fill the oil.

Wouldn't work on my current car though as you have to get underneath to get at the filter.

• Advertisement

Halfords ramps only support 14" tyres, so fine for my Civic but any other car I will need to use stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,126 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I've been using ramps for the last year or so and find them great. So much quicker than getting the car on axle stands and I feel safer doing it too. The angle is too high on them (bumper of the car too low) so I use 2 thick ends of timber to get the car onto the start of the ramp a bit more gradually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Gooner do what I did a few years ago, buy an oil extractor pump,I change my oil regulary (top tip),
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5Liter-Oil-Changer-Vacuum-Fluid-Extractor-Pump-Tank-Remover-/251309415831

These oil extractors are generally frowned upon. This is because of the oil that remains inside the sump. When you mix that with the swarf particles you get sludge and over time lodges itself. If the oil pickup gets blocked then it's game over. Just remember gravity is your friend :).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,091 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ardle1 wrote: »
    Gooner do what I did a few years ago, buy an oil extractor pump,I change my oil regulary (top tip),
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5Liter-Oil-Changer-Vacuum-Fluid-Extractor-Pump-Tank-Remover-/251309415831
    Jebus, you could have found a cheaper one!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

ardle1 wrote: »
    Hal1 wrote: »
    These oil extractors are generally frowned upon. This is because of the oil that remains inside the sump. When you mix that with the swarf particles you get sludge and over time lodges itself. If the oil pickup gets blocked then it's game over. Just remember gravity is your friend :).
    Esel wrote: »
    Jebus, you could have found a cheaper one!

Forgot to mention once or twice a year I do actually drain it from the sump.

And that's not the actual extractor, that's just a quick link I grabbed.. Anyway I find it an absolute God send, well for anyone doing big miles like myself.(taxi man)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

I've went and bought a fuel filter for my Golf mk5 1.6fsi. Never changed a fuel filter before.

Has anyone any words of wisdom?

I assume it's just a case of remove and replace...

Well safety first etc. Firstly you will need to depressurise the fuel. Remove the relay for the fuel pump and crank her over a few times to ensure pressure has gone and will no longer start. Have a container for excess fuel in the lines. Use a proper pair of axel stands and not the ****ty one that's supplied with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Hal1 wrote: »
    Well safety first etc. Firstly you will need to depressurise the fuel. Remove the relay for the fuel pump and crank her over a few times to ensure pressure has gone and will no longer start. Have a container for excess fuel in the lines. Use a proper pair of axel stands and not the ****ty one that's supplied with the car.

okie doki, so i assume that if i remove the relay, the fuel pump wont activate, meaning the engine will fire up from whatever pressurised fuel is still in the lines and then cut out almost immediatly?

that should be grand, i'll make sure I put a towel over it aswell when I disconnect it just incase.

I hope there isn't too much risk of damaging the fuel lines when disconnecting the old one? Are they a pain in the ass to detatch?

• Advertisement

Well I've only changed one on a ford which uses a quick release method. I'm not sure about other brands though.

Advertisement