Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Places to buy Real Christmas Trees

• 30-11-2013 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

Thought I might start a thread on places you can get a real Christmas tree, with prices!

I saw someone put up info on B&Q trees, which I cannot seem to find!

There's a Christmas Tree Farm up in Slade Valley in Saggart Co Dublin. I think the trees there were €45 last year, no limit on size as far as I can remember.

A mate bought a tree in Carrickmines http://www.lauralynn.ie/event-the-park-carrickmines-xmas-tree-farm-226.html and some money goes towards the Laura Lynn charity. €65 & €75 for the premium tree.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

olaola wrote: »
    A mate bought a tree in Carrickmines http://www.lauralynn.ie/event-the-park-carrickmines-xmas-tree-farm-226.html and some money goes towards the Laura Lynn charity. €65 & €75 for the premium tree.

Wow - celtic tiger prices. €5 from each sale goes to charity.... leaving €60/70 trees. Donate the €5 and shop around would be my advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Wow - celtic tiger prices. €5 from each sale goes to charity.... leaving €60/70 trees. Donate the €5 and shop around would be my advice.

Fcuk that!

I get mine from a Xmas tree farm in stepaside. I got a 10ft one for €35 and €45 the last 2 years.....hopefully the Same this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Make sure they are legally cut through. Some trees are illegally cut from the forests and sold on. Ikea has a pretty decent ones in their car park. But you can generally get about 10-25% off the trees price if you negotiate no matter where you buy them(although I wont do it in small local DIY store). But my local christmas tree man, owns a giant food company and makes a killing off the trees. But I dont use him as he is so expensive. Prices vary greatly, so shop around

Remember when buying a tree take a pine needle and bend it in half. It snaps or stays bent, its a dry old tree and will shed like no tomorrow. Where as a fresh trees needle will return to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

hfallada wrote: »
    Ikea has a pretty decent ones in their car park.

Oh yeah, Ikea sell trees for €30 - nice looking ones too. You get a €20 voucher back to use in the new year. Going on last year's selection, they were probably more a medium sized tree. I didn't see any 7 footers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Fcuk that!

I get mine from a Xmas tree farm in stepaside. I got a 10ft one for €35 and €45 the last 2 years.....hopefully the Same this year.

I cut my own from a tree farm in Wicklow. €20 for any size tree. It's small scale with not enough trees to service demand so won't be posting details here :o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

i just got a lovely 8 foot tall tree from howth garden centre just before howth dart station , too the netting off and have it sitting out back garden to let it settle down from the chap netting it up for me to get it home . well happy with the size and fullness of it . gonna put it up on monday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    I cut my own from a tree farm in Wicklow. €20 for any size tree. It's small scale with not enough trees to service demand so won't be posting details here :o

+1 I'm guessing it's the same tree farm as you're talking about, although it wasn't too small scale when we went, so could be another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

For anyone in the South East, Countrylife, beside Meadows & Byrne in Dovehill, are selling lovely Christmas trees for €40. They're really full and fresh and I think €40 is a good price, probably between 5ft and 6ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Where would I pick up a tree in or around Rathgar? I do have a car so I could possibly take a bit of a drive if required - looking for a 7-10ft tree, nothing too massive or expensive :)

Was in B&Q today. They've medium sized trees (no biggies that I could see) smallish ones were €42. They weren't well marked with prices, so I didn't see the price for the larger sizes. They've a potted 150cm nordmann for €28

• Advertisement

Where would I pick up a tree in or around Rathgar? I do have a car so I could possibly take a bit of a drive if required - looking for a 7-10ft tree, nothing too massive or expensive :)

There's a place on the Milltown road that's got good trees. They're not the cheapest, but they're not astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

There's a place on the Milltown road that's got good trees. They're not the cheapest, but they're not astronomical.

€120 for a 7ft tree according to their website, that's a bit out of budget to be fair.

€120 for a 7ft tree according to their website, that's a bit out of budget to be fair.

I think that's a delivered price with stand & collection? We got one there a few years ago for a good bit less, about €65 I think? Worth ringing to see what the price is if you pick it up.

garden centres or local fruit and veg shops will sell trees at good prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Crazy Eye wrote: »
    i just got a lovely 8 foot tall tree from howth garden centre just before howth dart station , too the netting off and have it sitting out back garden to let it settle down from the chap netting it up for me to get it home . well happy with the size and fullness of it . gonna put it up on monday

Had a look in when I passed here today and they did seem to have some lovely ones. Some looked lovely and full, even the tall ones looked nice and full.

Had a look in when I passed here today and they did seem to have some lovely ones. Some looked lovely and full, even the tall ones looked nice and full.

nice little place allright also got some plants and some pet food there too . when i saw the trees i just said sod it and bought it there and then , hadnt planned to buy my tree till the 8th but when i saw trees so perfect and full it was hard to resist .

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dang097

Any closer to Saggart /Citywest area? Found a shop selling 2.5 metre Christmas tree for €55 which I thought was steep.

dang097 wrote: »
    Any closer to Saggart /Citywest area? Found a shop selling 2.5 metre Christmas tree for €55 which I thought was steep.

Where was this?

The Slade Valley Christmas tree farm is €45 afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 con.e

I got a lovely tree from a guy in Kilcock....on the maynooth road. Really happy with it. It cost me €40. I had previously been to the one at tesco in maynooth and their trees were min €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Interested in food

Are Wades Christmas tree farm open this year in Rolestown?

• Advertisement

They're €65 if you collect in person, just chatting to someone about them today. Might head there myself - they're pretty decent quality.

Woodies only have 6ft trees. But they have the Cinco real tree bases that hold water for €16 at the moment.

I picked up a fab tree in Crumlin - It's a newsagent called the Kokonut I think?
    On the LMR opposite the BOI. €50 for 8ft, and it's VERY full. Looks great. Can't see my tv anymore though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Beardyman

Is there anywhere selling trees near Dublin city centre??

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

50 quid including stand 7 foot tree at citywest shopping centre.
    the stand screws into the tree stump so it is really steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Are Wades Christmas tree farm open this year in Rolestown?

Yes open as usual, not the best selection but as always a great day out with the kids, very friendly staff, any size for €35

The bad news is they're going to shut for a few years. They've been a victim of their own success and the selection has been a bit poor the last few years. They've been planting thousands but they need a few years to grow.

Beardyman wrote: »
    Is there anywhere selling trees near Dublin city centre??

Thanks

Loads of market stall sellers have them on Camden St, €50 for a 6/7footer. Look pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Loads of market stall sellers have them on Camden St, €50 for a 6/7footer. Look pretty decent.
    I would be looking for something smaller, probably 5ft around the city centre. I will ask around but if anyone sees one please notify me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Saw loads for sale in Killester at the Super Valu. Lovely real trees!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Pang wrote: »
    Saw loads for sale in Killester at the Super Valu. Lovely real trees!
    Do you know the prices for them?

Advertisement