Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life, perspective & moments that stop you in your tracks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

What a beautiful, heartbreaking thread. Unlike others I don't have a personal story to share but I was introduced to the music of Mark Kozelek last year and his lyrics often stop me in my tracks and make me reflect. Obviously, music taste is personal but I think in particular his song Ceiling Gazing really captures the sentiment present in this thread.

Have a listen:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Nothing to share that even touches the level others have reached on this thread. Reading this has made me realise I'm incredibly lucky. I've no reason to be whinging after a 'bad' day...

Anyways...

About a year ago I was working the late shift in a petrol station. A clapped out micra pulls up and a girl gets out. I would describe her as being junkieish. She definitely was run down and seemed to have a lot of substance issues. It's hard to tell due to what the stuff does to your body, but I'd guess that she was only a couple of years older than me.

She got out of the car and just stood there. At this point we have the door locked as it's night, so I'm serving through the hatch. I'm watching her and going in my head "oh great. another drunk junkie to serve".

She walked up to the hatch and I see her face is all beaten up. I can't remember what she said but she asked me for help. I had no idea what to do. I opened the doors and went out to her. My colleague who was cleaning told me to just tell her to go away and that we couldn't help her.

The obvious had happened (junkie boyfriend had slapped her around). The way she said it was so matter of factly with just a hint of emotion behind it. Every time she sniffed I looked up to see if she was crying (I was kind of perplexed with how stony faced she was given the circumstances) but she just had a cold or something. I asked if she wanted me to call the guards. She kept insisting that I don't. I noticed the back seat of the car had two black bags and stuff piled on top (personal belongings, clothes etc...). The back, left hand side door had its window broken and there was glass covering the stuff in the back seat. She said "he did it".

She spoke in the usual trembling way an addict does when they're craving. I kind of decided there and then that I wouldn't give her money even though I really wanted to. We get paid in cash and it was pay day, I could have spared €20 but she'd only go spend it on smack or whatever.

She's still standing there talking to me and I'm trying to help her but, really, what can I do? I asked her if she wanted a free cup of coffee or tea (it was obvious she'd be kipping it in the car that night and it was freezing out). Her eyes lit up and she said "yeah". I walked back into the coffee machine only to see if was all turned off. It takes ages for retail coffee machines to go through a start-up procedure. I've never felt like such a thick in my life for having forgotten that I'd cleaned it and shut it down for the night. I then had to tell her that, actually, I couldn't give her a coffee.

I talked to her for a while about her situation. Asked if she had kids with him. She didn't. Asked if I could call the guards for her. Nope. I asked if I could patch up the window of the car for her. She said yes please.

At this point my colleague is covering the till and we're getting behind on work. I grabbed heavy duty bags and duct tape and went out with her to the car. We set about patching up the window together. Because of all the stuff in the car it was a two person job to hold stuff out of the way etc... while I was patching up the window she was holding the bags in place etc...

We were chatting away during this and there was even a joke or two between us.

One that was done we chatted for a few more minutes but my colleague stuck his head out the door and gave a "come on!!" kind of glance. I said I'd have to go back in and lock the doors. She thanked me repeatedly for fixing her window. I felt stupid because all I could think to do to someone in her situation was put a fcuking bag over a broken window.

She drove off.

After my shifts I'd normally walk home listening to music. Just walked home in silence after that shift and had trouble getting her out of my head for a few days. I kept kicking myself thinking that I should have told her to come back the next night for a coffee if she was still sleeping in the car. :mad:

Anyways, about 9 months ago I was on the quays. Just before the Customs House there's a shop called Reynolds or something. I was walking past and there she was standing there looking worse for wear. I'd recognized her right away. I actually went to stop to talk to her and see if she was alright (despite her being surrounded by five or six junkie blokes).

She looked right into my face and without a hint of recognition kept on strolling slowly away with the rest of them. I can only imagine where she's at in life these days. :(

Anyways. It kind of changed my outlook on junkies / alcos. In general they can be a nuisance and in the past I have (and I sometimes still do) described them as sub-human. But I spent a good half an hour with one on a pretty ****ty night for her and I can say they deal with some fcuked up stuff just to get a fix.

I kind of hope she got clean like in the movies but in reality....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Ambersky wrote: »
    Yes a death can really get you thinking about the meaning of this one short life and the preciousness of the people you meet in it.
    My father died last year of motor neuron disease, a slow debilitating illness that takes away the use of your muscles and limbs but leaves you fully aware.
    We had a complex relationship my father and I, in some ways he was ahead of his time and in others ways he had a very old fashioned relationship with the women in his life. This strong, dominant man who had always been in control was now relying on us to feed him, scratch him and generally cater for his every need. It’s not an easy change of relationship for anyone involved and the usual clichés of “you will never regret it, or isn’t he a dote, or people are always better off in their own home” don’t quite fit what was actually happening. It was deep and hard and sweet and bitter at times, but also very profound.
    One day while we were at the kitchen table the next door neighbour came in and told us her dog had just died. My mother’s dog had just died a few weeks before and my father’s dog only had a few more weeks to live.
    My father started talking about how he used to bring his dog for a walk every day and the neighbour’s dog always ran to the gate to say hello to them.
    My father remembering all this and laughing said “Timmy would say Woof Woof and then Sam would say Woof Woof” he chuckled to himself and said
    “they were the good times……
    who knew they were the good times!”
    and then he sobbed.
    Of all the things he said to me at that time that event spoke to me most deeply about my own mortality and the importance and preciousness of the everyday little events and relationships.

I've read this post on 3 different occasions and each time it makes me weep.

I'm 26 now, and had lost both my parents by the time I was 24.
    I did experience the "life is too short" feelings especially after my mum, but tbh have for a long time felt very bitter and angry about how short life was for someone who was just again really starting to enjoy and live her life after overcoming other problems. The last 2 years have been a bit of a blur. I'm sure there have been good times, but I feel like I am still just in autopilot and life is whizzing by too quickly without me ever stopping to pause and experience any of those nice little happy moments like the one your father mentioned.

I have another problem in my life that is still causing me major stress but I am going to consciously try to focus more on the little things that bring me happiness. For some reason that very simple little story of your father's about the two little dogs really drives that message home to me about appreciating and remembering these types of moments.

Those words, " Those were the good times, who knew they were the good times?!" have stuck with me now since reading them.

Thanks for posting your story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Last year I met the man who saved my life. I hated myself, my life, living. It was the darkest moment of my life. I was in a relationship with a guy who made me feel worthless and I start believing him. I was losing my friends, could have lost my job, no one understood. And then I met him. He could read my mind! After a year of knowing him, of talking to him, I believe in myself again. I know that I'm worth something to people. I now have a beautiful daughter that I made - I made her perfect nose, her perfect eyes, her perfect lips!

This man has made me want to help people and gain a perspective on other people's lives. If someone needs help, I'm there. If people think they're worthless, I quickly correct them!

I don't know if I'd be here if I hadn't met him. It makes me wonder what my life would be like, and makes me so proud of myself that I have come so far, something I don't think I've ever felt!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

I've read this post on 3 different occasions and each time it makes me weep.

Those words, " Those were the good times, who knew they were the good times?!" have stuck with me now since reading them.

Thanks for posting your story.

Oh God, I really need to second this! It's a beautiful story (all of these are) but something about the simplicity and...just the ordinariness or something of those words hit home more than any of the more dramatic stories. I haven't been able to get them out of my head since first read and I find myself pushing the thought away at times to avoid turning into a big weepy mess in work! It doesn't help that at the minute I'm on a psychological therapy placement in a cancer treatment centre, but on the other hand it's a very important thing to keep in mind when working with change and loss.

Beautifully written Ambersky.xx

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭Bananatop

The unsung heroes in school....those boys and girls who don't get A's, those children who don't excel at sport, art, music or drama. Those children who don't have a proper lunch coming into school, those kids who have a fractured home life, who don't know the meaning of the word stability, who don't understand that it's normal for your parents to help with your homework, and to have a hot meal ready for you. Those children who still come into school, smile and say 'Hi Ms X'. And try their best.

Those children already have more strength and courage than I'll ever hope to have, and I hope I teach them as well as they teach me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

This post is nothing on anything others have posted but for me it was one of those stop-you-in-your-tracks moment.

A few weeks ago I had my phd viva and it went well and I am now officially a doctor. It was a long hard slog: junior cert in a school I was bullied out of; leaving cert in a new school where I settled but didn't excel academically; missing out on my first choice college course; failing first year in the course I got; taking 5 years to complete my phd due to illness / issues with lab stuff...

Last week I was walking through campus & when I passed the place where I would be graduating "Pomp and circumstance" came on my iPod (complete shuffle job, didn't even know it was on my phone) and it made me realise that I am a doctor and one of the luckiest people on this planet to have had the privilege to go as far with my studies as I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

sullivlo wrote: »
    ...leaving cert in a new school where I settled but didn't excel academically; missing out on my first choice college course; failing first year in the course I got;
    I completed my PhD 12 years ago and had a similar experience as this. At the end of my first year in Uni, I achieved 8.5% in Maths, 9.5% in Chemistry, 21% in Computer Science and 34% in Biology.

Getting those results stopped me in my tracks as I realised I had not only wasted a year of my life but that there was someone else out there who missed out on a place at my Uni because I had taken their place.

I resolved to repeat the year and excel thereafter. I graduated with a degree in Biology and then did my PhD. I'll never forget those first results and the guilt I felt towards my parents who had paid the fees for the year and towards the unknown person who missed out on a place because of me.

Oh, and congrats on passing your viva, I remember mine like it was ysterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Some wonderful stories here. Mine pales in comparison, but it's the first thing that came to mind when I read the OP because it's so similar. I apologise if anyone on boards knows what I'm talking about, feel free to get in touch, but I don't know if any of them even use boards any more.

Back in late 2008, when facebook was really starting to become mainstream, I was thinking back on people I'd previously known or worked with that I'd like get in touch with and add on facebook. I was thinking back to college and part-time jobs in college and recalled one girl for who I'd attended the afters of her wedding. I'd met her husband all of twice on nights out. A lovely down-to-earth couple, nothing bad you could say about them.
    The husband in particular stood out. A big barrel-chested, shaved-headed, long-bearded, tattooed, pierced, booming-voiced heavy metaller. The absolutely nicest guy you could ever meet. No exaggeration here, like I say I'd met him all of twice, known the man for a total of about 2.5 hours, yet I came away feeling like I'd known the guy years and he considered me a close friend. The wedding was no different, a really chilled affair where even the stragglers at the afters were made to feel like family.

So I'm using google to find these people (cos facebook search was awful back then) and when I search for her name, the very first result is from boards, saying "R.I.P <his name>". The name is very distinctive, so I was in no doubt that this was him, not someone else. It actually stopped me in my tracks, like the thread title says, hit me like a tonne of bricks and I couldn't believe it. He'd been hit by a car while driving his motorbike and killed instantly. It had happened about a year beforehand, and it was that separation of time which also upset me; that someone I had such a great amount of respect and fondness for, was gone, just like that, and I'd never found about it. At the time he was killed, two weeks before Xmas, I'd been in New York getting engaged. So that juxtaposition of my extreme happiness and his family's indescribable suffering really struck a chord with me. They had a young son, no more than a baby at the time afair.
    I guess as I was standing at the edge of another stage in my life, getting married, having kids, etc etc, here was a guy whose journey into that stage had been cut tragically short.

At the time I'd really wanted to reach out to her, because to me I had just found out, it felt like the news was brand new. But it wasn't, anything I could have said was going to be said a year late. And I didn't really know what to say, I hadn't seen either of them in five years. Was I was going to turn up out of the blue and wax on about how the death of her husband who I hadn't met in years, really affected me?

Amazing thread.

I've had a huge turn around in my life in the last 2 years. Before that I had a serious problem with alcohol which had spurred from my mid teens to my mid twenties. I had my own reasons for abusing alcohol but I won't go in to that. The last 2 years of it were absolutely miserable. I hated everything & everyone, especially me. For that last year before I gave up all I wanted to do was not live anymore, it's all I thought about and all I wanted. However I was too much of a coward to finally give in to that overwhelming temptation of finally doing it. By October 2011 I was in a bad way both physically & mentally. I was overweight and had some serious health issues.

Thankfully something happened, I had my last pint in October 2011 with my best friend after admitting to him I had a problem with drink. While walking home that night I broke down crying as I knew the cat was finally out of the bag, I knew I couldn't get away with all the drinking at home anymore because my mate now knew and wanted to help me. I woke up the next morning with serious pains in my stomach and had to be hospitalized. This was the third time in 5 years I had been in an ER due to drinking. I had a bit of a heart to heart with my dad that morning and knew I had to finally give it up. After suggestions from a friend a few days later I got in to a recovery program and haven't looked back. I was 2 years without a drop in October this year.

Since then I could go on for pages about what I've achieved after finally addressing my own demons. To name a few I started to drive, progressed in my career, lost 6 stone, ran the Dublin city marathon this year, met an amazing girl I'm in love with but most importantly I finally began a proper relationship with my family. Growing up I didn't like my parents, my reason I won't go in to that here but it got worse as the years went on and to critical levels when I too began to drink. Admittedly I was an extremely selfish person, add drink to that and you get a total prick. The old me would only have a relationship with people if I could get something out of it. Meaning money or whatever. So when I gave up drinking I had to build all these relationships from scratch which was tough but well worth it. I can now whole heartily say that I love both my parents when I loathed them 2 years ago. Which is priceless. Family is everything at the end of the day.

My Grandfather who I loved more then anyone died in June of this year. The memories of my childhood that I cherished most were with him & my gran along with my other grandmother. However when I had gone of the rails I had abused these relationships as well, I would only go to visit them when I knew I could get money out of them for a night out, drink or gambling. Never out of just love. I am so grateful that from the time I gave up drinking and turned my life around that I spent a lot of time that I wanted to spend with him in his last 2 years alive. He was skeptical at first like everyone else, who wouldn't be. He was a wise old goat & I had hurt everyone. In his last 6 months he was very sick and was unable to walk. I used to bring him out for drives every weekend to places around Dublin & Wicklow were he loved throughout his life. The weekend before he died I brought him down to Glendalough for the last time and when we got there he turned to me in the car & just said I'm very proud of you. That was it, he didn't need to say anything else. I was quiet the rest of that journey home as was he humming away to Country Roads on the way back. When he died the next week my gran asked me to do the Eulogy at his funeral which was the proudest thing I've ever done in my life while 2 years before I probably would have been asked to stay away from the funeral due to my general behavior. Stuff like that is what really matters not the materialistic bull**** or constant approval seeking that we crave throughout life.

So what I hope I've put across to people suffering in any way from alcoholism, depression or any other mental disease that when the double barrel of life is pointing at you always remember that things can change if you believe you can change them. Life can always be good when you finally ask & look for help. I've never looked back anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

The thanks function is useless for me here.

Becks, thank you so much for reminding me that sometimes you just need to think back and remember. Amazing OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I have to say how amazing this thread is, honestly!! I haven't really much to add, but it has made me realise something very important!!

I'm a 23 year old lad, moved out of home a little over a year ago, and since then I call home maybe once every 7-10 days to collect my post, but that's about it!!
    Going through this thread has made me realise I need to spend more time with my parents, cause they really have set me up to have a great life and future for myself, and I dont want to wait until its to late to show how grateful I am for all they have done for me and how much I love them!!
    When I lived at home, my mum was one of my best friends, I could talk to her about anything, but thats kinda gone now, which I miss!!
    Up until this point, I suppose I've had the attitude that they're still young themselves, that they've another 30 years ahead of them, and please god they do, but who knows!!
    This thread has given me the kick up the arse I need!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Working with someone in adult education. Having a lot of hope for them and their future then one day opening a newspaper and seeing they had been shot dead. That one took a bit of getting over. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

This won't be as meaning-of-life stop-the-world as the other, deeply moving posts, but still.

I don't want to ever have kids. It's really not a huge deal - it's just not something I want to do. I've been married for 10 years and himself is in the same mind as me on it.

However, one day about seven years ago we were in the car, he driving, me watching the world go by in the passenger seat. We'd just moved to Australia and we were looking at buying our first house together. He's three years older than me. He brought up the subject of children, coming at it in a roundabout sort of way, via a 'we're buying a house, you do this job, I'll do that job, pay the mortgage off, this is our life plan' sort of way. And then suddenly he told me he figured we should have our first child by the time he was 35. He sort of threw it out there, casually, he still driving and watching the road, me going '...wait, what?' He was 33 at the time. All I could think was '33... 35. Two years. TWO YEARS. That means I'd have to be pregnant within the next 13 months. PREGNANT. ME.'

That was as lightly as he mentioned it - and note it wasn't a 'I want children, we need to start a family' conversation, it was a 'timescale, life plan, target' sort of conversation (because he's never been particularly paternal).

He moved on to the next topic, and I sat in the car and my vision pinwheeled to a point in the road in front of me and I felt like I couldn't breathe.

I spent all of my teens and my twenties going 'Kids, yeah - no' and laughing it off when people would simper 'Oooo you'll change your mind!' at me. And now here we were, and my husband was putting forward a timeframe for children. With a deadline. Thirteen months. I felt like I had a year left to live. (Someone since has said to me it sounds like I had a panic attack. Imagine that? Your husband tells you 'we should have kids' and you have a panic attack. There's a warning sign right there.)

For two days I walked around in a daze. This wasn't a cute idea I was coming to terms with. I didn't get the warm fuzzies over it. I felt sick, and terrified, and confronted by something I just really didn't want to do. I couldn't process it. From the moment he'd met me, I'd told him I didn't want kids. I made it clear before we got married. I made it clear after we got married. I made it clear before we moved to Australia. Don't want kids. Have never wanted kids. Not going to have children.

Did he not believe me, or something?

Eventually later in the week I told him we needed to talk. I don't remember much about the conversation. Apparently I looked pale and sick and he told me later he thought I was going to request a divorce or tell him I was seriously ill. I think I remember saying 'I don't want kids. I wasn't joking. I've told you this, over and over. You want them by 35. I'd have to be pregnant in the next 13 months. I can't do it. I won't do it. I don't want to do it. I really, really, really don't want to have children.' Apparently I babbled a lot - so much so that he told me to calm down and that everything was all right.

And then he said something like 'It's okay. If you really don't want kids we don't have to have kids. I just thought if we were going to have them we should start when we're in the house.'

I never understood the meaning of 'it feels like the weight of the world has lifted off your shoulders' until that moment. I actually had a physical sensation, a sort of decompressing, like I could breathe again.

After that, we discussed it properly, at length. Himself really, really wasn't pushed. He'd do it if I wanted to do it. He wasn't bothered if I didn't want to do it. My God, I pressed him on that last part. Really pressed him. I was so shaken by the idea he'd even seen himself with a child enough to put a timeframe on it, I really didn't believe he wasn't secretly hanging around waiting for my body clock to kick in. (I think I actually said 'This isn't going to change, don't hang around waiting for my bodyclock to kick in. There is no ticking. It might be digital.) Fact is, husband in his early 30s wasn't paternal and wasn't really pushed either way about having children. He was in that space where I think a lot of people linger - people who aren't particularly pushed about having kids - where you think it's something you need to do next because that's what people do. I at the time was a very easygoing person who tended to do what my partner wanted to do (which is why we were in Australia, and living in the town we were in, and why we now move around the country after himself's job).

Lots of people like us end up with children because it's what you do, as opposed to because it was something they desperately wanted. It often works out extremely well for them and having the first child was what it took to persuade them they wanted to be parents. For us, it was actually a tremendous effort to identify parenthood and make a conscious decision, 'Let's never do that. Let's agree now, we're never doing that.'

Seven years on and still child free, we don't regret our decision. We filled our lives with other things - and we have the flexibility to continue to fill our lives with other things. Still though, if I had to identify one moment in my life where everything hinged on a single conversation, it was most definitely that day in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Death has always been a part of my family since before I was born. I can't say it hasn't changed my perspective - I reckon because of my family's history and losses I have always been aware of the fleeting nature of life and that the end comes to us all.

For the most part then, I've always appreciated that life is short and very valuable.

During the boom years I thought I was the epitome of girl power - have the husband, the career, the kids, the house, the gym and the cocktails with the friends. Wasn't that the message we were being sold? It was the message I was taking.

So I pushed myself and I had it all (except the kids but they would come in the future). Then I had the kids. And I was forced to accept that I was putting myself under too much pressure. I was forced to accept that I could not have it all, that I would not have it all, it was simply impossible to try to keep that many plates spinning.

I lost my job. My job had been an amazing confidence builder for me - I really pulled myself up by the bootstraps to study and qualify in my job and losing it felt like I had less worth (although not worthless, my confidence fell because I had "failed" and I was not like the other women of my generation who "had it all".)

So I went to a seminar about finding work during recession. There was the usual representatives from industry, and finally there was this guy called Mark Pollock and he blew me away.

He wasn't talking about work, he spoke about his adversity through his disability, and he spoke of the realistic feelings he had.

There were about 50 in the room but I felt as if he was speaking directly to me. About me. And helping me.

I changed my perspective about work that day and I'm very happy to be on a career break. Here's his link if you're interested http://www.markpollock.com

Watch him, he's very inspiring.

When I was younger I spent lots of time in children's hospital.

I've young children myself now, and I find that there is no stronger attitude leveller than bringing your child into Temple Street or Crumlin. And thankfully, we leave bandaged up and go home.

But.
    There are always children there dying upstairs. There are parents being told there's no more that can be done. There are children battling terminal diseases or terrible disabilities.

And I'm not one of them.

Even though I've always had the perspective I've had about mine and my family of origins life span and health, and lost some members along the way; when i put myself in those parents shoes for even a second, I get a real reminder of how lucky I am, how blessed I am, and how devastating that position must be. Even I think back to my parents leaving me in hospital every night for so long, and my health problem was serious but never terminal.

If I verbalised how lucky I feel on a day to day basis you would think I'm either a smug weapon or faking it.

But I'm not - I'm a realist and I acknowledge problems and difficulties. But I think being realistic means you must count the good things in your life too, whether they result from your own hard work, or luck, or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Guybrush Threepwood

I was looking up my old district manager to find out if he could give me a referance only to find out he'd passed away in a hospic 2 years prevously (it was only 5 years since I worked for him).

It just stunned me, he was great - he gave me my first manager job, spoke to me like a friend not an employee.

He was a good person. He didn't deserve to die so young. He wasn't even 40...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Elber Twomey stopped me in my tracks, for two reasons. Her story really, finally drove home the fact that life is all about the people you love and who love you. Nothing else - career, salary, possessions - comes even close to mattering compared to your loved ones.

And the depth of her human compassion and understanding, towards the man who ruined her life, absolutely shattered me.

Elber Twomey stopped me in my tracks, for two reasons. Her story really, finally drove home the fact that life is all about the people you love and who love you. Nothing else - career, salary, possessions - comes even close to mattering compared to your loved ones.

And the depth of her human compassion and understanding, towards the man who ruined her life, absolutely shattered me.

You would be amazed at what you become in a situation like that. How in the very moment you realise what the meaning of life really is, and that's not to be angry, that's not to seek revenge. The minute you realise that all of this can end any second, you change. You become the kind of person who won't have regrets, you make sure that you do your very best while you're here because you know that you might not be here tomorrow. Empathy is the one quality that can change this world for the better, and in that moment, you gain an empathy you never knew existed.

When my two children died after a truck hit our car, people thought I should be angry, they couldn't understand why I would go to the effort of leaving a card in the hospital for the truck driver. They couldn't understand why I wanted to pray for him at the funeral mass. They couldn't understand how when the media printed anything, I wanted them to always say he was in our thoughts. There was little point in dragging out the hurt, when lives had been turned upside down enough. Empathy. That's all it takes to make the world a better place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Thats an amazing story woopsadaisydoodles. I have never been through the loss of a child let alone a loss in such a dramatic event. The way you have chosen to look on events and relationships there is very moving and I would imagine very powerful, I'm not sure I would have such grace.
    You have such a happy go lucky board name, yours and posts in this thread remind me that there are real people behind boards names, with real lives and struggles they are going though. Its probably no harm to be reminded of that every now and again. Thanks for your post and so sorry for your loss.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

You would be amazed at what you become in a situation like that. How in the very moment you realise what the meaning of life really is, and that's not to be angry, that's not to seek revenge. The minute you realise that all of this can end any second, you change. You become the kind of person who won't have regrets, you make sure that you do your very best while you're here because you know that you might not be here tomorrow. Empathy is the one quality that can change this world for the better, and in that moment, you gain an empathy you never knew existed.

When my two children died after a truck hit our car, people thought I should be angry, they couldn't understand why I would go to the effort of leaving a card in the hospital for the truck driver. They couldn't understand why I wanted to pray for him at the funeral mass. They couldn't understand how when the media printed anything, I wanted them to always say he was in our thoughts. There was little point in dragging out the hurt, when lives had been turned upside down enough. Empathy. That's all it takes to make the world a better place.

This. This post stopped me in my tracks. It put my life into perspective.

Whoopsie I can not even begin to imagine the pain that you feel. I (thankfully) don't have anything to compare your story to. But to hear that you have such compassion towards a person involved in an incident which caused you such pain, grief & suffering is an inspiration to how I want to live my life.

Your post genuinely touched me, stopped me in my tracks & made me rethink my attitude to people who can cause me pain and suffering.

Thank you for sharing, and I am deeply sorry for your loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Oh my god, Whoops. I had no idea. My deepest sympathy for your loss.

What an amazing human being you are.

Hmmm, that was more a ramble than anything :o
    I'm certainly not in any way an amazing human being. I haven't achieved anything, I've simply suffered a loss, something which everyone will endure at some point in their life.

I tell you what though, I've stopped myself in my tracks a little recently, I had allowed myself to forget for a while what was really important. I allowed myself to be consumed by something which began to change who I was and not for the better. I wasn't me, and I missed me. I spent months being sad over the thing that should have been making me happy! Something snapped though a few weeks ago and I finally saw clearly and realised that me (and me is pretty awesome tbh :D) was slipping away. Thankfully, I copped it before it was too late and so I'm back to being my [awesome] self.

That's all very cryptic :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

You're an incredible human being, Whoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Well done whoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Jeez, whoopsie I had no idea either. You're amazingly strong, don't forget that. x

PS You're my fave mod but ssshhh, don't tell anyone I said that. :p

I suppose the closest I've had to one of those moments would be this. My Gran is in an Alzheimer's Unit in a nursing home and there's a lady in there who's no more than 62-63 and she doesn't know her own kids or her husband. She just sits there staring. She can't do a thing for herself. Everytime I see her it reminds me of how lucky I am. Being in that place is so scary sometimes because Alzheimer's is thought to be mostly an "old person disease" but three of the ten people there are under the age of 65. They look fine but they're all just like shells of what they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Whoopsa I had heard your story but I didn't know it was you, if that makes sense. you're amazing!

I had a bit of a stop in your tracks moment today. I found out a girl I was in school with committed suicide last night.

Now I have not seen nor spoken to this girl in years, but she always stuck in my head as a lovely, happy bubbly girl, who would make time for anyone.

what struck me was that how, at 23 years old, this girl thought she had no other option, thats what made me sad - and then it dawned on me that she's not the only one, she's not the first and she won't be the last. it made me realise how lucky I am to have what I have, to love the people I love and to be as happy with my life as I am. not everyone is, and that's something I never realised, something I most definitely took for granted, and I never will again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

On my local news.

Near by me is a military base. A man came home from Afghanistan. His son was flying into the nearby airport to have a reunion with his father.

The nine year old boy suffered cardiac arrest on the plane and arrived deceased.

I hope his father doesn't have to face redeployment after this.

I'm speechless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

1. When a girl in our leaving cert year was killed in a horse riding accident. I remember getting a text from a friend in the morning to say she had died and I was just in shock. I walked to school in a daze hoping it wasn't true, walked into English class, saw my teacher's face and knew it was real. All the teachers and students were in shock. God, that feeling is horrible. The shock was unbelievable, couldn't get over the girl who I used to sit beside in a few classes, was just suddenly not there, and would never be back.

Weird, it never entered my head that something so horrible could happen, that one of us would never graduate. And only a few days later she was talking about what she she wanted to do in university. We were so close to finishing, we had completed our projects for the leaving, but she would never get to do her leaving cert. It wasn't far from Christmas when she died too, her poor family.

Our Home Economics class was especially effected because we'd had the same small class for four years and the same teacher for those years (though the last year we had a sub as our normal teacher was on maternity). The silence and crying was heartbreaking.

It was just so strange to me at the time and I knew that sound odd, but to think a life could just be wiped out like that. I guess when you're that age you think nothing could ever happen to you like that. Made me appreciate how precious life is and how suddenly life can end.

2. Went to London over the summer and visited old Irish neighbours that used to live across the road from us, we still keep in touch with them, the lovest people you could know, would do anything for you! She loves when we visit makes a big fuss over us! :):) Two months after visiting them we get a phone call to say that the husband has terminal cancer. God, that floored me. He's the sweetest man you could meet, and to get that, it's horrible! His wife was heartbroken, to happen to such a healthy, kind individual! :(
    3. When an old babysitter who was like family to me, got terminal cancer after beating it the first time round. Was so upset, loved that woman! She looked after so like we were her own children and always remembered birthdays and Christmases; she even sent my brother a card to congratulate him on his leaving cert results not long after she was going through cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I don't know if this counts, but I remember very distinctly the moment I stopped being a child. It stands out to me until this day.

When I was twelve my dad died in a car accident along with his brother. It happened in the early hours of the morning, but my sister and I happened to be staying in our granny's house (on our mum's side) that night.

I remember waking up at around half seven and deciding that rather than going back to sleep, I would get up and dressed before anyone noticed, and then I would come downstairs all ready for the day and everyone would think I was so grown-up and clever for being up so early on a Sunday morning.

When I came down the stairs I knew something was wrong. There was too much activity in the house, too many hushed tones, no laughter, no radio.

And so it was explained to me that my mum was in the hospital but she was going to be okay, my uncle was dead and that they didn't know about my dad yet, but children are good at telling when grown-ups are lying and I knew that he was really gone, which they later confirmed.

I don't remember how that felt, or crying or anything, although I'm sure I did. But what I do remember is sneaking back upstairs to get something from my sleepover bag and seeing my little sister, nine years old, sleeping the deep and perfect sleep that only children are blessed with, and knowing that as soon as she opened her eyes her whole world was going to change. I watched her for a minute, feeling intensely sad that I couldn't change this for her, that I couldn't make it better, that her child-like dreams would never be the same.

And it was in that moment, with our dad gone and our mum stuck in hospital an hour away, that I stopped being a child, that I decided that my little sister needed someone who was going to be strong for her and make things as okay as they could be. I remember laughing at my funny ideas of when I woke up that people would think I was grown-up just for getting up early, and wishing I'd stayed in bed and had a few more hours of normality, even if it was in sleep. But mostly I remember the pain, not of losing my dad, because that came later, but of not being able to save my sister's perfect world.

• Advertisement

Wow Vojera :(
    I'm in tears here and not just because it's sad, which is undoubtedly is, but because your post is absolutely beautiful.

Advertisement