Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish times top 50 games of all time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I stopped after i seen angry birds at 27

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

What an odd list...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just saw Bulletstorm and Resistance 2 in there......top 50 of all time me hoop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

what was #1 ? I don't want to give them the 0.000001 cent they might get in click revenue from me :pac:

calex71 wrote: »
    what was #1 ? I don't want to give them the 0.000001 cent they might get in click revenue from me :pac:

GTA3 ffs!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

23 Driver: San Francisco ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

GTA3 ????? Great game that spawned a generation of others so I can see why it should and deserves to be on any "top" list but best ever ?????? I think not :eek:

• #2 halo 3 oh god

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

No Goldeneye or Orcarina of Time. No FFX from what I saw either. Bizarre list.

A top 50 list without a mention of Super Mario Bros 3, Half Life, Thief, System Shock or Deus Ex. Fair enough Human Revolution got a mention but still.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Anyway, woeful list for obvious reasons. Rock band, Plants vs Zombies and Angry Birds? FFS. Wrote it off when I saw neither Souls game mentioned.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

No Sonic, Donkey kong, crash bandicoot,

Irish times should be banned from mentioning games at all

I think the author is related to Peter Griffin ... Would explain this fail of a list

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

weisses wrote: »
    No Sonic, Donkey kong, crash bandicoot, Portal2

Irish times should be banned from mentioning games at all

Portal 2 is number 4.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No Goldeneye or Orcarina of Time. No FFX from what I saw either. Bizarre list.

To be honest Goldeneye ain't so hot anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    To be honest Goldeneye ain't so hot anymore.

In your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

These lists always cause controversy.
    Although they're not always created with this intent like this one is.
    Bizzare!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

complete tripe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In your opinion.

Yeah but mine is right.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Lists, what's the point?

I demand the obscure titles I enjoy be recognized by all dammit!!!:P

(Time spent playing*Quality of experience)/Depreciation of technology+(Nostalgia Factor-Time since last played)

Ah there's a formula in there somewhere but it's all entirely subjective in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

42 Resistance 2 (2008)
    36 Dance Central 2 (2011)
    34 Little Big Planet 2 (2011)
    32 Bulletstorm (2011)
    29 Battlefield 3 (2011)
    27 Angry Birds (2009)
    24 Gears of War 2 (2008)
    22 Peggle (2007)
    17 Soulcalibur 4 (2008) [widely considered the worst in the series]
    15 FIFA 12 (2011)
    12 Mariokart (1992) [It's called Super Mario Kart]
    4 Portal 2 (2011)
    2 Halo 3 (2007)

I expected cringes going in and I wasn't disappointed. By my count 33 of the 50 were released in the last 5 years, no surprises for guessing when the author began his gaming hobby. :rolleyes:
    A great piece to exemplify why mainstream gaming journalism is never taken seriously or paid attention to, the primary audience are probably very light gamers who needed recent game or milestone older games mentioned to keep their interest.
    A couple of points to him for at least writing his own list and not just being populist and throwing Ocarina, FF7 and Half Life to the front of the line like everybody seems to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

49 North and South
    35 The Last Ninja 2

This guy has some taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It was never going to be a kind of 'gamers gamer' list. I would have a different list just like everyone else but I think he's trying to look at the bigger picture, probably failing, but I think that's what he is trying to do. Angry Birds allows 5 year old girls to be gamers. Plants vrs. Zombies allows OAP's be gamers. Mariokart allows a family be gamers together. Fifa means lads can sit around drinking and be gamers and so on.

GTA 3 did change how gaming was done in my opinion, what was there like it before hand that had an open 3D world like it. Tetris changed how gaming was done. Super Mario Bro's get a mention, Resident Evil 2 should be there, Pac-Man needs its place, so does a Street Fighter (IV) and a Battlefield (3).

Just sayin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep. When writing a top 50 for the Irish Times, it has to very different than a top 50 for Edge for example. What's the point of filling it up with the like of Persona 4, Seiken Densetsu 3 or Turrican 2 if only a fraction of people reading it know what he's talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

No entry from the Timesplitters franchise............... Get ta fuck

• Registered Users Posts: 22,336 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

calex71 wrote: »
    GTA3 ????? Great game that spawned a generation of others so I can see why it should and deserves to be on any "top" list but best ever ?????? I think not :eek:
    GTA 3 was an absolutely awesome game and it's as good a candidate as any for the best game ever

As for the rest of the list, half of those games from the last 5 years I bother to wouldn't download even if they were legitimately available for free
    peteeeed wrote: »
    23 Driver: San Francisco ??
    The first driver game was brilliant, I didn't like the sequels at all.
    A top 50 list without a mention of Super Mario Bros 3, Half Life, Thief, System Shock or Deus Ex. Fair enough Human Revolution got a mention but still.

Half life 2 is better than half life 1.
    I would pick Counter strike before Half life 1 not least because it's a game that is still being played today by shedloads of people in almost the exact same format just with higher resolution graphics

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

This is a new medium, of course

Video games have been around in a mainstream way since the early 70's. That's hardly "new".

That list is a bit mental alright, some really odd choices. Halo 3? "groundbreaking"? Whut?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yep. When writing a top 50 for the Irish Times, it has to very different than a top 50 for Edge for example. What's the point of filling it up with the like of Persona 4, Seiken Densetsu 3 or Turrican 2 if only a fraction of people reading it know what he's talking about?
    to educate people that there are great games they may not have heard about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

horse****... one of the worst lists i've actually ever seen.

FFVII ........ Zelda..................GTA3 (HAHAHAHA)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

penev10 wrote: »
    Lists, what's the point?
    I'm waiting for the Top 10 Top 10 Lists List before I read any more of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

In fairness, it's the Irish Times.
    I read it this morning for the lulz.

Wouldn't really have them in my list of go to sites for games and or tech info.

Advertisement