Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish times top 50 games of all time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

grindle wrote: »
    Comfortably, on a couch.
    I've tried that with the last max payne. It's doable but so much easier with a keyboard and mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm a pretty decent shot on BF, COD and CSS on the PC but give me a controller and I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from 20 metres. I guess it just depends on what you're used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've tried that with the last max payne. It's doable but so much easier with a keyboard and mouse.

I know what you're saying. Single-player games aren't the worst in fairness, but multi is an obvious no-can-do unless you desire infinite quick deaths.

Have high hopes for the Steam Controller - it has to be them. They can do it... Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

These "Top X lists..." are doomed form the word go. What are they even measuring?

For a start, Top isn't really a great adjective for a list unless it's referring to sales. Best is more descriptive but can surely only be used within the constraints of a single genre. How can one genre be better than another after all.

Genres are a minefield of their own. What constitutes a certain genre? what about games that straddle genres?

Is the iconoclastic game better than the more derivative ones which followed yet incrementally improved on it's flaws? Aren't we just measuring influence if that's the case.

Ah, too many questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Opinions differ.

They aren't articulated opinions at all though. He explains his selection for his 15th best game of all time with two justifications: "a new engine" (neither inherently a good thing or bad) and "more convincing tackles" (....)

They read like taglines in an Xtra Vision booklet, making you wonder if his knowledge of any of these games extend beyond the promotion videos.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    I'm a pretty decent shot on BF, COD and CSS on the PC but give me a controller and I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from 20 metres. I guess it just depends on what you're used to.
    I guess thats true (although I'd say you have much more control using the keyboard mouse combo) I've seen consolers completely flummoxed by the mouse.

I guess thats true (although I'd say you have much more control using the keyboard mouse combo) I've seen consolers completely flummoxed by the mouse.

As somebody who begrudgingly graduated across, I was flummoxed by the keyboard in games that use anything more than WASD. The mouse is easy to get along with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I stopped after i seen angry birds at 27

I got to 36) Dance Central 2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

No list like this that doesn't have a zelda game can be taken seriously.

grindle wrote: »
    As somebody who begrudgingly graduated across, I was flummoxed by the keyboard in games that use anything more than WASD. The mouse is easy to get along with.
    I would like to see the WASD replaced with something that could replicate the joypads analog stick. So I don't have to hold down a combination of buttons to run or sneak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

MadYaker wrote: »
    No list like this that doesn't have a zelda game can be taken seriously.

They've probably never heard of Zelda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I would like to see the WASD replaced with something that could replicate the joypads analog stick. So I don't have to hold down a combination of buttons to run or sneak.

Buy yourself a playstation move navigation controller

Problem solved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yeah using keys instead of a stick to move a character in a 3rd person environment just feels weird to me, kb&m for 1st person shooters though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

COYVB wrote: »

I wouldn't inflict that on my most hated neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Seems to me like a few oldies have been thrown in near the top just for the sake of it.

D'ont see Impossible Mission, Super Mario 3, Goldeneye ???????

Must be getting ould.

COYVB wrote: »

I don't think that would work for me. All I want is the WASD keys to have 3 stages (which seems to be what xbox controllers have) on them for creep, walk and run. I still would want access to the rest of the keyboard.
    krudler wrote: »
    Yeah using keys instead of a stick to move a character in a 3rd person environment just feels weird to me, kb&m for 1st person shooters though.
    I don't mind any of that, I just don't like the on/off nature of the WASD keys.

Something like what this guy has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I don't think that would work for me. All I want is the WASD keys to have 3 stages (which seems to be what xbox controllers have) on them for creep, walk and run. I still would want access to the rest of the keyboard.

Oh yeah that's what I mean, the you're either running or you're not feel, prefer pushing a stick various amounts to move at different speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Did Wizardry or Elite make it?

Oh my gawd! I'm so OLD! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

krudler wrote: »
    Oh yeah that's what I mean, the you're either running or you're not feel, prefer pushing a stick various amounts to move at different speeds.

I really enjoy different movement speeds as well, but competitively it doesn't make any difference. You can tap the WSAD keys to get a slower movement if you really need to creep but generally you don't actually need to. Games that have a momentum to player movement tend to be better for creeping, and there's always the walk/run key. It's kind of difficult to just make a seperate controller to go along with the mouse because then you have to address the issue of all the other buttons you need that are next to WSAD, like E,R,CTRL,SHIFT etc.

You could use a midi-controller for something like that, but they're all probably too large for easy use or planting beside a keyboard... You could use an iPhone (or failing that an Android but the input lag wouldn't be too good for twitch gaming, especially with the signal likely being broadcast to your pc via wifi unless something's come out in the last year or two that I've missed*) as a trackball of sorts but having no tactile feedback for where dead-centre is would be a pain in the bollocks (or it is when used for music production/fx purposes, so would be worse in a game).

*just checked, there are of course! 'DroidPad' or 'Ultimate Gamepad' for Android (think they both work over USB as well as wifi?). If you could set up one screen to take over as a left analog your dream could be closer to reality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

urrrgghh list is not pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

No World of Warcraft?:/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

The best game ever is obviously ET on the atari 2600.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

No Metroid or Zelda ? To have neither of either franchises many games not in a top 50 of all time list is Dunphy trolling of the highest order...

Zr4hgIn9DRk0pzvt2J_N4w

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

I'm happy, worked on 3 of them in the list :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Doodee wrote: »
    I'm happy, worked on 3 of them in the list :pac:

details please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

The game section in the ticket is a bit of a joke really and reading it usually just makes me annoyed.
    Whilst they mean well, neither journalist has much knowledge of the medium and it's too clearly obvious that they each only really like certain types of games and don't tend to explore the medium too much.

It's a shame really considering the rest of the critics in the paper are quite knowledgeable in their respective areas (even if I don't like/agree with all of their opinions) but the reviews in the game section just read like they read the back of the case and quote the bare features.

Most people who are really into games know that you're not going to find any good analysis in the mainstream media anyways, it's just a pity the little that's there tends to be so poor (barring maybe Charlie Brooker, who actually gives a toss and tries to describe how varied the medium is).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Thank god for Charlie Brooker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

It's a shame really considering the rest of the critics in the paper are quite knowledgeable in their respective areas
    Nah! The technology/lifestyle section is worse - utterly irrelevant to the industry it purports to cover. What isn't a recycled press release is generally clueless waffle. It is a typical provincial newspaper with delusions of national and international relevancy. Games journalism is going to be pretty low down on the scale of things (even lower than "technology" journalism as an entry level churnalist position) as unless the journalists are really good and really connected to the industry, they will have opinions that are no different to any other player. Games journalism changed but the clueless individuals in the Irish Times just don't get how the web changed that kind of journalism along with tech journalism. Online gaming sites provide better coverage and better information. The Irish Times games coverage is probably read more by parents trying to figure out what their kids are playing or talking about than by people with a clue. It may not actually be aimed at people who play games or even have a clue about them.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

Nice to see Monkey Island on the list...a classic.

Advertisement