Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science! Ask you question here. Biscuits NOT included and answers not guaranteed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Think we need to be careful about what is being taught versus what is being researched. Anyone that goes into research quickly finds out that a lot of stuff they learned is obsolete. It's simply not feasible for syllabi to keep up with the pace of modern developments! It's also not always practical or good pedagogy to make up courses to educate students on modern material. Sometimes it's easier to grasp concepts when learning the obsolete stuff.:) So naturally, many things taught have to be simplified or left out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

OMG! Spoiler!
    5 years is forever in microbiology. Most of this stuff has been around for a long time as theoretical, like most of the big news in physics was predicted decades ago by Einstein et al. Having experimental proof is excellent, and very important, but confirming suspicions isn't so revolutionary as discovering something new.

<shrug> Maybe I'm jaded by having spent the last few years in genomics/systems biology. That sh*t moves fast, one gets very used to revolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Sarky wrote: »
    5 years is forever in microbiology. Most of this stuff has been around for a long time as theoretical, like most of the big news in physics was predicted decades ago by Einstein et al. Having experimental proof is excellent, and very important, but confirming suspicions isn't so revolutionary as discovering something new.

Your claim however was this "this stuff" has been taught in Universities for years, which is simply not the case. My son is studying molecular biology at a prominent US university and he is absolutely not being taught what is in this paper, and is absolutely being taught the modern synthesis as if it were gospel. Universities are typically slow to incorporate the latest research.

Having experimental "proof" is everything in science, without it your theory is worthless, it is a hypothesis awaiting evidence. By and large most of science is experiment, experiment, experiment to confirm your hypothesis, then you can talk about a solid theory. This is particularly true in biology, and less so in theoretical physics, much of which never progresses beyond hypothesis or isn't scientific at all as it cannot be experimentally tested.

Lamark proposed inheritance of acquired characteristic two hundred years ago (and Darwin agreed with him), but Lamark has been a punching bag since because there was no experimental evidence to support his hypothesis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

FYI: This is Option Number Twenty-Five. Isn't this being a bit, uh, mean on the hamsters?
    I have no idea what is going on in this thread anymore (we were talking about a film right? And then an argument broke out between whether or not a magical flood killing everyone except 1 man happened or not, after that it becomes a mess) but I still return to see what todays name change is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

FYI: This is Option Number Twenty-Five. Isn't this being a bit, uh, mean on the hamsters?
    I have no idea what is going on in this thread anymore (we were talking about a film right? And then an argument broke out between whether or not a magical flood killing everyone except 1 man happened or not, after that it becomes a mess) but I still return to see what todays name change is.

This thread is probably one of the most facinating I have ever read. I probably only understand 20/30% but it's consistently brilliant/funny and shockingly stupid all in one. If you have anyone I your family who has been brain washed by the church into believing all that magic man stuff then point them to this thread and in particular JC's posts. 10 minutes in here and he will have convinced them that everything in the bible is a steaming pile of crap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

J C wrote: »
    It usually occurs instantaneously via a chromosome number shift ... and or a substantive complex specified frame-shift ... all indicative of pre-existing Intelligent Design.
    with respect, JC, I'm looking to better understand evolution. If my very basic understanding can grasp your lack of understanding, then I think it's not a good idea to be seeking answers on the subject from yourself.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

When the legal system engages itself in a partisan way in a religious issue ... some people may resort to satire in response!!!

Boy JC you sure do know how to tell a joke.

By the way did you know the single most important article in the US constitution establishes both freedom of speech and the wall of separation between church and state.

The first bit doesn't affect what I highlighted, but the second shows that you don't know **** about the situation in America. The wall of separation clause means that no state institution (including the Dover Area School District) can support the process of religious indoctrination out of state funds (if a pastor wants to rent out school rooms after school-hours to brainwash the children of his flock is a slightly different matter, settled on a state by state basis), and teaching creationism is religious indoctrination. Therefore the religiously partisan, and incidentally unconstitutional, ruling would have been to allow the teaching of creationism, because it would privilege several religions over all the others.

You see JC the founding fathers of the US took the eminently sensible chain of decisions that a) nobody should be persecuted for their religious beliefs (if those beliefs were the cause of unlawfullnes, e.g. a religion proscribing the monthly murder of multiple maidens, then they could be prosecuted), b) the state had no business interfering in private affairs (as long as they didn't affect others), and c) the best way to do this was for the state to stay out of religion and religion to stay away from the state. Therefore in the US if you want your child brought up religious, you either have to do it yourself or take them to Sunday school, a private, religiously run system with no state funding or interference.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

5 years is forever in microbiology.
    You should try five years in software.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

koth wrote: »
    I've a question for the science nerds! :D

Is the mutution process something that is constantly happening or something that's is activated by external pressures?

Hallelujah, at last we have some sensible questions to discuss.

I would agree with Robin in that mutation is constantly happening but is also something which is affected by enviromental factors.

Our current estimate of mutation rate suggests that each child is born with about 128 mutations compared to the genomes of their parents.

Mutation rates in humans. II. Sporadic mutation-specific rates and rate of detrimental human mutations inferred from hemophilia B.

We also know that only, at most, about 4 of these 128 mutations are actually deleterious or harmful mutations.

The X Chromosome and the Rate of Deleterious Mutations in Humans

another question.

with regard to a new species arising, is there a standard number of generations for a new one to appear or does it depend on the pressures causing the mutation?
    With regards to the early stages of speciation, does it follow some sort of template? I.e. a single offspring of the new species is born, or would they be born in clusters within the population.

Apologies if the questions seem scattershot, but it's just how they're popping up in the head.

The short answer to your question is that no, there is no standard number of generations for a new species to appear.

To answer it in more depth, I suggest that you look at speciation not from a mutation based viewpoint but a population based one.

Speciation occurs when two groups who share common ancestry can no longer reproduce with viable offspring. One of the primary causes of speciation is geographic isolation. When you have two groups both originating from a parent population which are separated by geography (mountains, oceans etc.) the two groups will continue to diverge because of the lack of gene flow between them. This means that a mutation which confers a benefit in a creature in group A will be propagated through the entire group. Group B meanwhile will lack this mutation due to the lack of any sexual interaction between the groups. As more instances of this occur, the more the two populations become genetically distinct from each other. Eventually, even if the two groups are reunited the probability that they will be genetically similar enough to produce offspring is remote.
    Speciation is a complex phenomenon, so much so that we have had to categorise different modes of speciation: allopatric, peripatric, parapatric and sympatric. There's a very nice introductory article on speciation here:

Modes of speciation

So, coming back to your second question, looking at the question of speciation from the point of view of groups within a population will probably help you understand the issue better than mutations to an individual organism.

OMG! Spoiler!
    robindch wrote: »
    You should try five years in software.

As a bioinformatician I sort of have to work in both. First task of the day us usually Google to see if someone produced a better version of XYZ overnight...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

The selective pressures you refer to exist ... but they operate on an inter-generational basis i.e. they select in each generation ... and therefore NS operates most rapidly in organisms with short generation lengths ... so why are bacteria still bacteria ... if NS and mutagenesis is powerful enough to change a rat into man over the 26 million mammal generations that supposedly existed since 120 million years ago ... why have bacteria practically not changed one iota over the same number of generations since 1000 AD? ... to say nothing of the previous 26 million generations of bacteria in the previous thousand years ... and the thousand years before that.
    {...}

Bacteria have changed immensely over time. They have targeted new species, become resistant to antibiotics, probably changed shape and size (I'm sure Sarky or someone can confirm or deny this). Just because they haven't changed to a bat, doesn't mean they haven't been evolving. We as a species have made bacteria a pretty successful evolutionary goal with the advent of mass transit and flight. Bacteria can now leave the small geographical areas where they were trapped dealing with organisms who had developed resistances to them and breed amongst organisms that have not developed the same resistances.

OMG! Spoiler!
    It's a bit more complicated than that. :)

Microorganisms have certainly changed immensely. The two main families of prokaryotes are bacteria and archaea. Prokaryotes don't separate their DNA from the rest of the cell by putting it in a nucleus. In fact, they have no membrane-bound organelles. Archaea and bacteria used to be thought of as just bacteria, but archaea have significantly different biochemistry (they use ether lipids in their cell walls, for example, and several of their metabolic systems have more in common with eukaryotes (DNA in a nucleus, like us) than bacteria). There are other differences, but I'm not getting paid here and Wikipedia is right there...

The diversity in prokaryotes is orders of magnitude higher than you'll see in prokaryotes. Some bacteria have circular chromosomes, some have linear ones. Some have hundreds of plasmids (sort of extra chromosomes, small circles of DNA with interesting genes like antibiotic resistance), some don't really bother with them. Some are very 'social' forming biofilms where multiple species of bacteria can grow, signalling and reacting to each other to maintain a stable community, such as the really very useful families of bacteria in your intestines. Neurogastroenterology (yes, it's a real thing) is discovering how communities of bacteria don't just communicate with bacteria. They communicate and work with their host for the benefit of both. Gut bacteria can affect our brains, and our moods can affect our gut bacteria. It's a complicated system and we're just getting to grips with it, but there's some amazing stuff coming out of it already, like better ways to treat cystic fibrosis patients, probiotic supplements for the elderly to get their gut bacteria back to the kind of diversity seen in healthier younger people, stuff like that.

The whole idea of bacteria being malicious bugs is something that needs to stop, really. They don't actively seek out poor innocent people to infect, and an infection is more a case of the microbe being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's usually a death sentence for the microbe in question, they'd be much happier wandering about in the soil or living in that camel's rectum without humans bungling along and uprooting them.

Given enough time, a host/parasite relationship often becomes commensal (nobody is inconvenienced by one depending on the other) and may even become symbiotic (living together actually benefits both organisms). That's pretty close to what happened with eukaryotic cells. See, eukaryotic cells contain loads of little membrane-bound organelles which do a lot of the work of copying out DNA, destroying intruders and the like. Mitochondria are a classic example. It turns out they have their own DNA, separate from the chromosome. This, along with other factors I won't get into because this post is already big enough, is good evidence that mitochondria and other mini-organs used to be bacteria that evolved a symbiotic relationship with other cells. A single eukaryotic cell is, in a sense, actually a community of prokaryotes, albeit one where the individuality of the prokaryotes has long since been subsumed into the single identity of the cell they all live in. Hell of an evolutionary jump there. Clever way to ensure you survive.

Humans bringing bacteria to new places is a bit redundant, it seems no matter where we go, bacteria have already been there for millions of years. The top of Everest, the bottom of the ocean floor, inside massively acidic 300 degree high pressure water springs... There's nowhere it seems they CAN'T evolve to live and survive.

J C completely misses the point of evolution by saying "millions of years later they're still bacteria". You're damn right they're still bacteria, they've evolved to become really good at being bacteria. And millions of years after the last human dies off and the planet becomes a radioactive wasteland, they'll still be there, winning at evolution.

With regards to the early stages of speciation, does it follow some sort of template? I.e. a single offspring of the new species is born, or would they be born in clusters within the population.
    Have a read up on ring species:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_species

...why on earth did nobody ever mention these to me in school? That's amazingly cool.

As a bioinformatician I sort of have to work in both. First task of the day us usually Google to see if someone produced a better version of XYZ overnight...
    Yes, that's something that's intrigued me for years as a software engineer -- scientists know the biology, but are poor software engineers, while the software engineers are pretty crap at biology. I'd have thought there was good scope within the field at large for skilled software engineers to write something world-beating.

Is there?

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Our current estimate of mutation rate suggests that each child is born with about 128 mutations compared to the genomes of their parents.
    That paper doesn't seem to control for age of the father, so is is right to assume that the 128 mutations figure is the average for all males?

I'm asking since women produce their eggs at birth (so replication errors will be low) while male's sperm-producing cells reproduce constantly, so they'll carry a greater and greater number of reproduction errors as the male ages.

OMG! Spoiler!
    Yes, that's something that's intrigued me for years as a software engineer -- scientists know the biology, but are poor software engineers, while the software engineers are pretty crap at biology. I'd have thought there was good scope within the field at large for skilled software engineers to write something world-beating.

Is there?

Definitely. Bioinformatics has been creating an overlap between the two disciplines in recent years, my MSc was actually 4 different courses depending on what your previous background was. My class was all from a microbiology background except one computer science guy. We almost never saw him as he was off learning about genetics and the like while we were being introduced to discrete mathematics, data mining, logic gates and how they make computers... He was a great guy to ask for advice on Python, R and Java when the assignments were looming. Conversely, he had a lot of questions for the rest of us on biology. It's still a fairly young discipline, but it's accomplishing amazing things already. Software engineers need a good grounding in how biological systems differ from the ones they're used to to tailor their creations. Biologists need to know how to handle such software, and edit it if they need to alter its function.

As far as I remember, he's off developing bioinformatics software now. Or at least taking software that works well and putting a non-horrible user interface on the front end.

If you've got the five grand or so to spare, DNAStar do a very comprehensive suite of software for biosciences that's actually very intuitive too. Makes a nice change from having to deal with command line UNIX variants... Me, I'm a BioPython fan. Pretty much all the functions you'll ever need to process large biological data sets are already written, and they're all easy to string together or modify should any tinkering be necessary for a new experiment.

One of my favourite examples in recent times is in DNA assembly. There are a whole load of pipelines out there that'll take the tens of millions of short sequences you get from DNA sequencers like Illumina or 454, and assemble them together into a couple of hundred longer sequences more closely resembling the original chromosome. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, and there's a good deal of competition between them. One of the best out there right now is actually an amalgamation of several of the better programs, a meta-assembler that runs the data through a bunch of existing programs, then compares all the outputs via some clever custom scripts I don't understand and manufactures the lot into a smaller number of longer sequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

NoodlyAppendagedammit Sarky, you're making me regret my choice of going purely for Computer Science. :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

HURRY UP WITH THE BISCUITS!
    Mitochondria are a classic example. It turns out they have their own DNA, separate from the chromosome.

Does that Mitochondria mean the same thing as Mitochondrial Eve? (Is that a stupid question?)

I find this whole area fascinating.
    However, to your normal lay person it's vast and so complex that it is difficult to know where to even begin if you want to know more.

23andme have updated their site recently. (For those who don't know, they do up your DNA)
    I now have easy access to all my data:

Most of the DNA inside each of your body's cells is divided into pieces called chromosomes, with the remaining DNA found in tiny loops inside your cells' mitochondria. Click below on any chromosome or the mitochondrial loop to see the genes and SNPs it contains.

Problem there is, I'll be needing a fecking degree to understand it! :(
    Is there a particular site with an idiots guide?
    I can click on each one of my chromosomes and there is a vast amount of data.
    How do I go about reading it? Is there any point to trying to read it?

This for instance:

intergenic 18674 rs10195681 A or C CC

Does the above make sense to you Sarky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Does that Mitochondria mean the same thing as Mitochondrial Eve? (Is that a stupid question?)

I find this whole area fascinating.
    However, to your normal lay person it's vast and so complex that it is difficult to know where to even begin if you want to know more.

23andme have updated their site recently. (For those who don't know, they do up your DNA)
    I now have easy access to all my data:

Most of the DNA inside each of your body's cells is divided into pieces called chromosomes, with the remaining DNA found in tiny loops inside your cells' mitochondria. Click below on any chromosome or the mitochondrial loop to see the genes and SNPs it contains.

Problem there is, I'll be needing a fecking degree to understand it! :(
    Is there a particular site with an idiots guide?
    I can click on each one of my chromosomes and there is a vast amount of data.
    How do I go about reading it? Is there any point to trying to read it?

This for instance:

Not sure if this will help: https://customercare.23andme.com/forums/20790464-Understanding-Your-Results

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

That paper doesn't seem to control for age of the father, so is is right to assume that the 128 mutations figure is the average for all males?

I wouldn't think so no. The partner study to the one in my last post details the sampling methodology in more detail.

Mutation Rates in Humans. I. Overall and Sex-Specific Rates Obtained from a Population Study of Hemophilia B

I would guess that the average, such as it is, would hold for people at typical age of first child but I expect that the spread of the data is too large for it to hold as an average for all parents.

I'm asking since women produce their eggs at birth (so replication errors will be low) while male's sperm-producing cells reproduce constantly, so they'll carry a greater and greater number of reproduction errors as the male ages.

In general, yes. The studies above found that the average ratio of male-female mutation rate is 8.64. Having said that, however, the female mutation rate is affected similarly by age so I would expect this ratio to decrease with increasing age. If you look at Down's syndrome, for example:

Maternal_Age_Effect.png

we can see that the incidence changes from approximately 1 in 2300 for a 20-year old woman to 1 in 100 for a 40-year old. Other chromosomal errors also increase with maternal age.

• Advertisement

OMG! Spoiler!

Yup. Mitochondrial DNA is a useful marker for ancestry. Mitochondria are inherited only from the mother*, their DNA is small (37 genes) and therefore handy to work with, it's essential to cell function so very resistant to mutation, and it was the first to be studied in detail so we can tell a lot about them.

* Not quite true. But close enough.
    This for instance:

Ok, 'intergenic' means a region of DNA between genes, often thought of as junk DNA (although that's not exactly true, there's interesting stuff to be found there but that's another story).

The number after it is most likely a position in the nucleotide sequence in question, so here they'd be talking about the 18,674th nucleotide in the sequence. Might be from the start of the chromosome, or the start of a cluster of genes in that chromosome, or something else entirely.

'rs10195681' looks like a designation for something specific, maybe the rs is for ribosomes, although I couldn't tell you what exactly it means without knowing how the company labels its data.

'A or C' sounds like the most likely nucleotides you'll find at that position. Or it could be the most likely mutations you find there. Again, how the company labels its data is important, but at a guess I'd say what they mean here is at position 18674 of sequence rs10195681, there's a DNA codon (three nucleotides that spell out a code for one of the amino acids that genes make proteins from), and it usually reads ACC or CCC. ACC codes for Threonine, CCC codes for Proline (List of DNA codons and the amino acids they spell out here). Both have significantly different shapes, which in turn would cause different shapes in the protein coded for by the whole sequence, resulting in changes to how that protein interacts with its environment (the shape of a protein has a huge influence on what it does). Being in an intergenic region though, it's not going to be transcribed, and so it's a harmless mutation.

Again, I have to stress that having never worked for 23andme, I can't be sure that's what the above means, but it's how I'd display it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

HURRY UP WITH THE BISCUITS!
    Thanks for that Sarky.
    'rs10195681' looks like a designation for something specific, maybe the rs is for ribosomes, although I couldn't tell you what exactly it means without knowing how the company labels its data.

Are you saying that each company would label DNA breakdown to their own specs?
    Somehow I thought something like that would be universal for easier usage.

OMG! Spoiler!
    Ah, never mind, I typed it into Google and it's a well-established code for a specific mutation. Looks like I was right about the rest of the readout. Lots of interesting data there on how the mutation is distributed through the general population. Clinical significance is 'NA', so yeah, harmless mutation.

Each company generally uses its own codes for its own data. After all, THAT sequence might look like a 99% match to Gene X in a human, but you can't just call it Gene X without checking. I've done this with bacteria all the time, I'd talk about gene 450 found on sequence 217, which is 99%+ identical to the gene called FAB 3. All those codes would eventually end up linked to the universal designations, assuming we know what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

This thread is now fab (ha!).....koth, thanks for the great questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Obliq wrote: »

The power of subliminal suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Jernal wrote: »
    The power of subliminal suggestion.

If you like Jernal - I do use that word all the time though. Along with "super" and "cool". Just to make sure I'm, ...like, ...you know - HIP, man. :cool:

Obliq wrote: »

:)

It just seemed like a wasted opportunity if I didn't throw questions to the folk that seem to have a good understanding of biology and evolution.

At least they're receptive to answer questions and providing evidence/links to support what they post.

One thread for good stuff, one thread for idiocy and, uh, that should be enough!

Just to reiterate from earlier on:

This thread is for evolution, science, biology, physics, engineering and so on.

That thread over there is for creationists, flat-earthers, holocaust denialism, moon-hoaxers, homeopaths etc, etc, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Who's the Hood again?
    This for instance:

Just to add on what Sarky has said, I don't think it relates to a codon (ACC or CCC) since it is located in a non-coding region rather more likely that you've two copies of C in that position, one on each chromosome.

• Advertisement

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Hallelujah, at last we have some sensible questions to discuss.

I would agree with Robin in that mutation is constantly happening but is also something which is affected by enviromental factors.

Mutation rates in humans. II. Sporadic mutation-specific rates and rate of detrimental human mutations inferred from hemophilia B.

We also know that only, at most, about 4 of these 128 mutations are actually deleterious or harmful mutations.

The X Chromosome and the Rate of Deleterious Mutations in Humans

with regards to the 4/128 being deleterious or harmful, can the harmful mutations accumulate with each generation? I.e. generationA = 4 harmful, generationB =6, generationC =9? Or are there corrective traits that remove some of the traits before passing on mutations to the next generation?

Advertisement