Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Third party discussion thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Jayd0g wrote: »
    Hardbone arrived over the last few weeks, overall I'm happy with the figure.

Like Wernstrom mentioned earlier, he's got the clunky headmaster aesthetic going on. I was a fan of the original headmasters so that's a positive for me. The robot and alt modes both look pretty cool, however I'm not a fan of either the yellow add on for the main gun, or how the front of tank folds up at the back in robot mode. I think it looks a bit out of place in robot mode and not a functional part of the robot.

Poseability is great in robot mode, with a lot of options from the different accessories. Fits in well with my Masterpiece figures too.

If yours doesn't have floppy biceps, it's already better than the four i've seen in person.

Hardbone is objectively (yes, objectively, i'm not being biased here) made from lower quality plastic than Grindrod and Aurora, so i'm inlclined to assume it came from a different factory.

I've also been told that Toyworld are actually essentially iGear. My first guess would have been they're part of the Robotkingomd/TFC/DrWU/CHMS/Perfect Effect/X-Transbot axis of evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

wernstrom! wrote: »
    If yours doesn't have floppy biceps, it's already better than the four i've seen in person.

Hardbone is objectively (yes, objectively, i'm not being biased here) made from lower quality plastic than Grindrod and Aurora, so i'm inlclined to assume it came from a different factory.

I've also been told that Toyworld are actually essentially iGear. My first guess would have been they're part of the Robotkingomd/TFC/DrWU/CHMS/Perfect Effect/X-Transbot axis of evil.

Didn't notice anything with the biceps or plastic quality. Feels pretty sturdy so far, but then again I've been very careful with it after reading the online commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AxlF

Just received this today and it is great work from X2toys.
    It makes huge difference to an already great piece.
    It comes with new decals and there's a few pieces included for trailcutter which are nice but don't make a huge difference.
    But the orange pieces for hoist... they've really added perfectly to the G1 look.
    Pk4S11G.jpg
    hLrobj7h.jpg

Sorry, that should obviously be 'third party'in the title, thanks phone.
    And I've just noticed the existing Third Party thread.

Much needed upgrade.

Now if only they'd picked a more G1 green....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

How's his plastic?

Galvasean wrote: »
    How's his plastic?

Phantom's plastic does feel a little thinner than say Hercules components....the other four, MAYBE Eagle. The rest are fine, imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/3rd-party-unlicensed-41/fan-toys-ft-04-scoria-not-slag-178774/

Shut up and take my money.

3rd party masterpiece Slag, Swoop and ... *gulp* Jetfire :D

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

Looks fantastic. Hope they make Snarl (my dino fav) :)

DBK wrote: »
    Looks fantastic. Hope they make Snarl (my dino fav) :)

I love the Dinobots. More than any other transformers I think, except Jetfire and Sunstreaker.

This news is amazeballs to me.

If Slag and Swoop are received positively, they'd be silly not to release Snarl. Sludge might be an ussue as the model would have to be huge.

Jetfire looks to be about 15 inches. :D

With these 3 models, Wheeljack and Bumblebee on the way, it'll be a costly year! Not sure about Ultra Magnus just yet.

• Advertisement

If they do the other three but skip Sludge, there'll be a backlash. 3P collectors can be a spoilt, whingey, impatient bunch*

*not me though. Really.

I think skipping Sludge is a running joke at this point.

Anyone interested in splitting costs for a Maketoys Trash-Talk and Cog Wheel?
    I want Trash-Talk but you could have Cog Wheel and the My First Blaster.
    http://www.omegalock.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/210
    It's €80 for the set, delivered.

Wait, which one is which?

Kapow claim they will have it next week, as opposed to the early april date omegalock are quoting

Traditionally, Maketoys seem to be about the worst 3p co there is for gaps between an Asia release and a western one.

Their runs are typically low too, even by 3p standards

80 euro seemed pricey...then i realised its not much cheaper anywhere else.

Hasbro did say there would be more of Legends Swerve made , if people want something cheaper.
    Wait, which one is which?

Cogwheel is Gears.

Trash Talk is Swerve and Cogwheel is Gears. I already have an MFB so buying this package would mean a spare one.

I'd say that Kapow and Omega will have them very soon. My MFB just shipped from UpgradeCommander on monday so MakeToys are definitely shipping to suppliers.
    I already have the Hasbro Swerve but I want Trash Talk too. I just don't want to spend 80 because I don't really want Cogwheel don't fancy trying to recoup half by selling Cogwheel (Gears) on afterwards. I'd rather a pre-arranged split with someone.
    They are expensive - but they look great and the reviews are very positive. If anyone knows anywhere that's significantly cheaper - I'd really appreciate a heads up.

Off topic BBTS just started taking pre-orders on the Hasbro one again (and more importantly: Tailgate) but they have that stupid fixed $20 shipping rate for small items that breaks my heart.

Ah. I have not much interest in Gears unfortunately

Cogwheel and etc are in stock at Kapow.

Slightly better value at omegalock with the MFB included.

AxlF wrote: »
    Slightly better value at omegalock with the MFB included.

Omegalock do seem to be a little cheaper for at least a few things, but a quick glance indicates they don't expect stock for another month.(?)

I've also seen some arguments as to why Omegalock are cheaper than Kapow... If they're true, i'm not sure how much longer they will be around.

• Advertisement

wernstrom! wrote: »
    I've also seen some arguments as to why Omegalock are cheaper than Kapow... If they're true, i'm not sure how much longer they will be around.

But you recommended omegalock in the Masterpiece forum?!

Anyway, the MFB arrived today and it's a really good piece.DSC_0225.jpg

Hope he doesn't get overconfident
    DSC_0242.jpg

AxlF wrote: »
    But you recommended omegalock in the Masterpiece forum?!

I never recommended them.

What i actually said was they appear to be cheaper than Kapow and appear to be reliable enough... (As i have never dealt with them myself)

Subsequently i saw comments that indicated the use of the word "appear" may be somewhat correct.

I guess shapeways it's third party, so here goes.
    Custom Impactor kit from Zoso on shapeways which turns generations warpath into the most vicious Wrecker out there.
    Well worth it and good fun to put together.
    DSC_0307.jpg
    DSC_0313.jpg
    DSC_0317.jpg

Interesting.

How long was the turn around time from Shapeways?

The kit was manufactured within 7 days, then delivered within 2 days.
    I've had a few pieces from Shapeways and this has been the quickest.
    It's the white, strong and flexible. Even though it's polished it's still a bit gritty - particularly the head - but I felt that suited Impactor just fine. The head has fine detailing on it, so sanding it or applying too much enamel paint would lose a lot of that. When better materials become available, I will re-buy the head.

The paint job gives him an awesome 'rugged' look.

The paint job gives him an awesome 'rugged' look.

20140406_143925.jpg
    Thanks. I originally had him painted clean but didn't like it so I dry-brushed him to get him looking dirty and a bit bashed. Then the light purple viscera is just from the LSOTW images.

In case anyone was fussed, Scoria was punted to end of this month/early next.

Now one large dealer is saying mid next month...no comment from Fanstoys on this alleged most recent delay.

The earliest I can see scoria is now early June. That about right?

Also, it's pretty much certain they are making all 5 "Iron Dibots :-D"

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The earliest I can see scoria is now early June. That about right?

Also, it's pretty much certain they are making all 5 "Iron Dibots :-D"

Shipping end of this month. At retailers early next. They're saying this is the last delay.

Advertisement